Elder Volleyball 2020

az0217t

It's that time of the year. Let's start talking about the up coming season.

When are tryouts ?

I heard that there have been some changes in the coaching staff. Who are the coaches ?
JVB -
JVA -
VAR -

Who will make the teams ?

Who will the starters be ?

No idea when tryouts are, but Bryan Scheck is the new JVB coach. Think Bianco and Tierney should still be coaching their respective teams.
Varsity I imagine will be along the lines of this, but who knows for sure. Could all change if Tierney feels some of the talented sophs have earned a spot, but that's not really his MO.
Potential starters (just my guesses):
S-Koewler -Sr
S/RS-Wiesman -Jr
M1-Dugan -Sr
M2-Sinnard-Sr/Meyer-Jr
RS-Sinnard/Meyer/Albers-Jr
OH1-Beiter-Sr
OH2-Engelhardt-Sr
L-Shook-Sr
DS-Smith-Jr/Geisen-Jr/Byrne-Sr

Others:
OH-Kehling-Jr
OH/M-Gavin-Jr
OH-Britton-Sr

I think that's 15

No idea when tryouts are, but Bryan Scheck is the new JVB coach. Think Bianco and Tierney should still be coaching their respective teams.
Varsity I imagine will be along the lines of this, but who knows for sure. Could all change if Tierney feels some of the talented sophs have earned a spot, but that's not really his MO.
Potential starters (just my guesses):
S-Koewler -Sr
S/RS-Wiesman -Jr
M1-Dugan -Sr
M2-Sinnard-Sr/Meyer-Jr
RS-Sinnard/Meyer/Albers-Jr
OH1-Beiter-Sr
OH2-Engelhardt-Sr
L-Shook-Sr
DS-Smith-Jr/Geisen-Jr/Byrne-Sr

Others:
OH-Kehling-Jr
OH/M-Gavin-Jr
OH-Britton-Sr

I think that's 15

Britton didn't finish the season last year and supposedly Gavin is doing track. That could open 2 spots.

Britton didn't finish the season last year and supposedly Gavin is doing track. That could open 2 spots.
Didn't know either of these tidbits. Good to know! That probably means guys like Kramer to make it as a backup DS and maybe Schmutte to come back. Could also open the door for a soph or 2 to make varsity

I heard John Seaton was not coming back as the varsity assistant coach. If true, I wasn't sure what that did to the other teams. If other assistant coaches were being moved around. Good news for Bryan Scheck.

Go ELDER !

I heard John Seaton was not coming back as the varsity assistant coach. If true, I wasn't sure what that did to the other teams. If other assistant coaches were being moved around. Good news for Bryan Scheck.

Go ELDER !
I believe Luebbe should be back as an assistant. Not positive though

It's that time of the year. Let's start talking about the up coming season.

When are tryouts ? Tryouts begin Monday, March 2nd

I heard that there have been some changes in the coaching staff. Who are the coaches ?
JVB - Head - Bryan Scheck. Assistant - Chad Thorton
JVA - Head - Joe Bianco. Assistant - Andrew Wessels
VAR - Head - Sean Tierney. Assistant - Ben Luebbe & Max Hofmeyer

Who will make the teams ?

Who will the starters be ?
A few additions for the cause. As mentioned before, the varsity squad will be an interesting roster to guess. There are a lot of talented sophomores that may or may not make the jump. My guess is that Tierney maintains his historical selection process and takes mostly all upperclassmen. Only sophomore I can see on varsity, needed purely from a positional standpoint would be Joey Bianco. God forbid something happens to Weisman or Koewler, but there needs to be a safety net just in case. All other positions are relatively deep (in terms of options).

A few additions for the cause. As mentioned before, the varsity squad will be an interesting roster to guess. There are a lot of talented sophomores that may or may not make the jump. My guess is that Tierney maintains his historical selection process and takes mostly all upperclassmen. Only sophomore I can see on varsity, needed purely from a positional standpoint would be Joey Bianco. God forbid something happens to Weisman or Koewler, but there needs to be a safety net just in case. All other positions are relatively deep (in terms of options).
I could see Bianco sitting the bench for varsity for that situation, but there were only 2 on varsity last year so I imagine he sticks to his usual MO. Only time I can remember a soph getting significant varsity minutes was Siemer when the original starter went down (totally blanking on his name). Even in '08 when Kent made varsity, he hardly played, but there weren't many options behind Wessels that year.

I don't see why they would sit a sophomore for a year on varsity because they might need him to set if someone gets hurt. I my opinion that is what hurt Siemer. He lost a whole year of experience. Let him play on JV and get the reps, then pull him up if needed. Beiter has some experience as a setter. He could set in an emergency.

I don't see why they would sit a sophomore for a year on varsity because they might need him to set if someone gets hurt. I my opinion that is what hurt Siemer. He lost a whole year of experience. Let him play on JV and get the reps, then pull him up if needed. Beiter has some experience as a setter. He could set in an emergency.
I meant to say, Bianco plays JV and then sits on the varsity bench in case of emergency.

I could see Bianco sitting the bench for varsity for that situation, but there were only 2 on varsity last year so I imagine he sticks to his usual MO. Only time I can remember a soph getting significant varsity minutes was Siemer when the original starter went down (totally blanking on his name). Even in '08 when Kent made varsity, he hardly played, but there weren't many options behind Wessels that year.
Joe Sansone. Herdeman set most of that season as a Junior with Siemer being forced to play up with Varsity as they didn't have another upperclassmen setter.

Did I hear correctly that the volleyball gym floor will be worked on/replaced this Spring/Summer so all matches will be in the Fieldhouse this season?

I heard that they were refurbishing the volleyball gym - floor
Did I hear correctly that the volleyball gym floor will be worked on/replaced this Spring/Summer so all matches will be in the Fieldhouse this season?
I did hear that they were going to re-do the floor (i'm not sure of timing) and try to get one color of purple for the stands, walls, floor etc. I hope they can figure out a way to swing the basketball backboards out of the way.

I heard that they were refurbishing the volleyball gym - floor

I did hear that they were going to re-do the floor (i'm not sure of timing) and try to get one color of purple for the stands, walls, floor etc. I hope they can figure out a way to swing the basketball backboards out of the way.
The volleyball gym was very unique in the way the court was painted purple outside the volleyball lines but maintained the wood inside the lines. Hopefully that's a trait they're able to keep as I thought it was one of the cooler things about that old gym.

That was the original plan, but the construction/rehab has been pushed back to the summer. Not sure the extent, but the volleyballers will be at home!

I did hear they are hoping to remove the backboards for this season. Not sure what the plan is for replacing though (or if the plan is to even to replace them).

Any insights as to how JVA and JVB might shake out? I have a feeling as to how some pieces should fall for JVA, but no clue on JVB.

Based on how last year went and how these guys were placed on their club teams, JVA will be something along the lines of:

OH1 - Maune
OH2 - Schwallie
MH1 - Busken
MH2 - Zimmer
S - Bianco
OPP - Maurer/Klusman
L - Samuels (Freshman)

Reserves
Weinkamp, Long, Pille, Gruen, Maurer/Klusman

JVB will be a whole new story based on who shows up to tryouts this week. There were a few Elder guys on CVA and Attack's top teams who i assume will play for Elder. Those being:

OH1 - Lanter (CVA)
OH2 -
MH1 -
MH2 -
S - Voss (Attack), Sinnard (Attack)
L - Harvey (CVA)
DS - Hutzel (Attack), Hofmeyer (Attack)

Varsity
Seniors:
1. Beiter
2. Byrne
3. Dugan
4. Engelhardt
5. Koweler
6. Schmutte
7. Shook
8. Sinnard

Juniors:
1. Albers
2. Geisen
3. Kehling
4. Meyer
5. Smith
6. Weisman

JVA
Sophomores:
1. Bianco
2. Busken
3. Gruen
4. Klusman
5. Long
6. Maune
7. Maurer
8. Pille
9. Schwallie
10. Wienkamp
11. Zimmer

Freshmen:
1. Samuels

JVB
Freshman:
1. Brant
2. Harrell
3. Harvey
4. Hofmeyer
5. Hutzel
6. Lanter
7. Rolfes
8. Sinnard
9. Wilms
10. Voss

Thanks for the update. Interesting that only 10 player made JVB. I wonder if it was due to low tryout numbers or lower talent levels ?

The numbers here are crazy to me. Still great to be able to field 3 teams, but JVB with 10, JVA with 12 and Varsity with 14...just a few years ago, there were 15 on each team with cuts at all levels. I wonder what's contributing to the drop in numbers. Of course, could just be a 1 year drop off

Enrollment/participation is down nearly every sport at Elder. Volleyball is no different, though they've generally been able to keep 12-14 on the JVB/Frosh team. JVA typically takes 12, then Varsity will take 14-16.

Now 10 is extremely low for JVB. The 2 teams from the Finals of the BWAC Tournament were Jude/Lourdes and Victory. Apparently Jude had a couple X kids, and then I heard Victory had one kid to X and another Oak Hills. Not sure about Ignatius, Antoninus or Visitation as they all had decent numbers last year - Ignatius even had two teams in the upper league.

Enrollment/participation is down nearly every sport at Elder. Volleyball is no different, though they've generally been able to keep 12-14 on the JVB/Frosh team. JVA typically takes 12, then Varsity will take 14-16.

Now 10 is extremely low for JVB. The 2 teams from the Finals of the BWAC Tournament were Jude/Lourdes and Victory. Apparently Jude had a couple X kids, and then I heard Victory had one kid to X and another Oak Hills. Not sure about Ignatius, Antoninus or Visitation as they all had decent numbers last year - Ignatius even had two teams in the upper league.
Didn't know numbers were down for all sports, but that would make sense. Do agree that only having 11 total freshmen is concerning though.

I agree I think numbers are down across the board in all sports. I think Hockey only had 5 freshman playing. I've heard they may only have one Hockey team for all four grades. Football numbers are down from where they used to be as well.
Track and field seems like it's one sport where numbers have increased over the past decade.