Michigan College Baseball Player Ejected

Looks like the reason he was tossed was because he used his bat to draw line in batters box? I'm not familiar with baseball rules and etiquette, is that a no-no? Watching it the first time, it didn't look intentional but watching again it was way to close to where his back foot was standing to be unintentional.

I would assume the umps are on a tight leash straight from the top for any type of "dishonest" type of play

If he drew a line on the path of the ball being an inside pitch, that would make sense. To draw a line for the back of the box, I'm guessing the ump thought he was showing him up. Seemed like a quick trigger for virtually nothing.

I was watching the game and it wasn't even close, it was a ball yet called a strike. Anyhow, Michigan would hit a 2 run homer in the top of the 9th to defeat #1 ranked Vanderbilt 4-3.

Last edited:
Looks like the reason he was tossed was because he used his bat to draw line in batters box? I'm not familiar with baseball rules and etiquette, is that a no-no? Watching it the first time, it didn't look intentional but watching again it was way to close to where his back foot was standing to be unintentional.

I would assume the umps are on a tight leash straight from the top for any type of "dishonest" type of play
He dragged his bat but did not attempt to draw a line. It looks as if the ump saw it out of the corner of his eye and thought he was doing that.

1). The ump needs to grow thicker skin (we all have bad days).

2). Since he was overly sensitive to anything the batter did it would appear he knew it was a bad call.

3). Watched a lot of baseball in my day and this is by far the least I've seen anyone get tossed for. Billy Martin would not be proud :LOL: hence the getting your money's worth comment. If you are going to get tossed get tossed with a Lou Pienella rampage or a Lloyd McClendon base stealing/tossing rampage.

They have long snappers? lol, that's a good point. I remember a local kid reported as being "heavily" recruited as a long snapper. I hadn't any idea. Nerves of steel.

Wow! Was the School up North manager also Ejected? I umpired from 13 yrs old until 39. Was always taught whenever
someone was Ejected, you do it when they are looking at you. I know that’s not always possible but in the instance above to Eject a player with his back to him is very very weak!

Wow! Was the School up North manager also Ejected? I umpired from 13 yrs old until 39. Was always taught whenever
someone was Ejected, you do it when they are looking at you. I know that’s not always possible but in the instance above to Eject a player with his back to him is very very weak!
for an umpire to get that butthurt over this tells me he likely has some major rabbit ears too.

They have long snappers? lol, that's a good point. I remember a local kid reported as being "heavily" recruited as a long snapper. I hadn't any idea. Nerves of steel.

If you’re good at it, you can stay in the League a long time (over a decade), but the first sign you’re a liability, you’re getting cut.

I had a flashback of watching Satch Davidson refereeing high school basketball, when he wasn't umping in the majors. Saw him call a foul on a player, then call a technical foul because the player frowned over the first call.

Years ago the team we were playing had a beef with the ump tossing one of their players. When they took the field in the next half inning the pitcher unleashed a fast ball high that the catcher failed to catch. Hit the ump in the face mask. Message sent.

for an umpire to get that butthurt over this tells me he likely has some major rabbit ears too.

I'm sure you saw the same conversation on Facebook as I did. Couple of umpires discussing this. One known for having a quick temper ( at us anyways)....said he thought he put the bat down where he thought the pitch was, then dragged it along the back of the batters box and he would have ejected him for that......

I'm sure you saw the same conversation on Facebook as I did. Couple of umpires discussing this. One known for having a quick temper ( at us anyways)....said he thought he put the bat down where he thought the pitch was, then dragged it along the back of the batters box and he would have ejected him for that......
RT?