DIV 2 Sectionals

knuck97

Whoever came up with these sectional assignment needs to be fired!!! The Central sectional has 22 teams. The Alexander sectional has 8 so for you math wizards out there that means half the kids in that sectional are going to districts. Does anyone beside me think that’s crazy?

Best explanation...I could be wrong...I think you must have 7 to be considered a team...so my guess is many of those 22 have very few guys on their team.

Last edited:
Whoever came up with these sectional assignment needs to be fired!!! The Central sectional has 22 teams. The Alexander sectional has 8 so for you math wizards out there that means half the kids in that sectional are going to districts. Does anyone beside me think that’s crazy?
Will anyone or coaches boycott the sectional to send a strong and powerful message to the wrestling gods?

Last year Alexander had 100 fewer wrestlers (111) than the Licking Valley sectional (211). So regardless of how they define what a team is, that would seem to be pretty unbalanced, and really for no reason.
I’ve always been curious why some of the Central teams did not try to move to the southeast district. Some teams would have a drive but not so bad that would warrant an over night stay. Will OHSAA not allow it?

I’ve always been curious why some of the Central teams did not try to move to the southeast district. Some teams would have a drive but not so bad that would warrant an over night stay. Will OHSAA not allow it?
I'm guessing they are told where they have to go. Over the last 10 years they ( OHSAA ) have tried many different ways to configure things. Weird that they haven't figured it out yet.

For Years the OHSAA had the SE sectionals compete as 1 sectional with 24 teams. Although we never were considered 24 teams because not every team had enough to count as a team.

I would say thats what has happened to the central

The OHSAA does not do things that makes sense. This year the central is going to Wilmington district which is 20 minutes from Washington CH . Washington CH SE sectional is now being sent to Claymont for districts. We were told that we were being sent there to match the OHSAA philosophy of keeping Districts together. Even though after sending mileage charts it clearly would make sense for the Washington CH Sectional to goto Wilmington.

Also this year is the first time the OHSAA has thought of that after 10 straight years of sending the Washington CH Sectional to Wilmington. Guess they are doing whats best for the student athletes.

Wanna switch?? I’m sure a few NE teams would love that 22 team field.
I don’t have a dog in this fight. But, hypothetically, sure. Which NE sectional are we switching with?
As it is, the central teams go through a 22 team sectional and then get Graham in the district. That is no cake walk either.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. But, hypothetically, sure. Which NE sectional are we switching with?
As it is, the central teams go through a 22 team sectional and then get Graham in the district. That is no cake walk either.

I would take Graham over Claymont district.

Any district that feeds into Alliances...

Guys stay on topic this isn’t about what District you draw into or which part of the State you live in or which district is harder!! This about someone thinking it was best to have 22 teams in 1 sectional when you have 8 teams in another where half the kids will make it to district.

Best explanation...I could be wrong...I think you must have 7 to be considered a team...so my guess is many of those 22 have very few guys on their team.
You may be 100% right but I would bet that the sectional with 22 teams has way more kids then the sectional with 8. The most they can have is 112 kids in that sectional

Any district that feeds into Alliances...
What are you even talking about? Alliance is a District. Districts don't feed other Districts. Sounds like you don't even follow wrestling.

I was just joking about the feeding to alliance thing because in my mind that's a bigger travesty. Here we may have a couple district level kids missing out but its unlikely this will keep a state level kid out. There are going to multiple state level kids missing out solely due to their district and its probably going to cost Louisville or aurora a tournament team title.

If the numbers of entrants are that far off then it should be addressed. Is there any data to look over? Enough to show a trend?

You may be 100% right but I would bet that the sectional with 22 teams has way more kids then the sectional with 8. The most they can have is 112 kids in that sectional
Staying on topic . I emailed the state about why the switch and with Central and why couldn't you have some teams come to our sectional. There rationale is goes against there philosophy to split districts into 2 and send one sectional to say SW and one to the East. I thought it would make sense to split teams but they said its unfair and those teams would have more chances to get more kids to state.

So hope that helps the conversation.

What are you even talking about? Alliance is a District. Districts don't feed other Districts. Sounds like you don't even follow wrestling.
Well, actually i do follow... i made a simple error. I know it has been sectionals, districts ... state for a while but the multiple times i wrestled in Columbus in March it was Districts, Regionals ... State. I apologize for any confusion HammerHead’

Well, actually i do follow... i made a simple error. I know it has been sectionals, districts ... state for a while but the multiple times i wrestled in Columbus in March it was Districts, Regionals ... State. I apologize for any confusion HammerHead’
And furthermore, i know what it’s like banging heads with the state’s best kids at a “regional” like the Mentor Meat Grinder struggling to just make it through and watching others down south waltzing in... so when i hear complainers talking about “tough” tournaments based on quantity v quality, i see the kid that was undefeated and #1 from SW that always lost in first round to a ME4, crying in the corner of St Johns arena trying to rationalize “what just happened”. Many potential state placers .. for years ... never got out of Mentor and watched from the nose bleeds in Columbus.

carry on!

And furthermore, i know what it’s like banging heads with the state’s best kids at a “regional” like the Mentor Meat Grinder struggling to just make it through and watching others down south waltzing in... so when i hear complainers talking about “tough” tournaments based on quantity v quality, i see the kid that was undefeated and #1 from SW that always lost in first round to a ME4, crying in the corner of St Johns arena trying to rationalize “what just happened”. Many potential state placers .. for years ... never got out of Mentor and watched from the nose bleeds in Columbus.

carry on!

Well all of that would be a different thread. Same thing happens in D1 track, coming out of the Central Region. This thread is about the oddity of having over 200 kids in a Sectional.

200... seems normal!
As mentioned before, 8 teams * 14 weights = a maximum of 112 kids.

I understand that there are probably holes in some of the lineups, but 22 teams seems crazy. There was clearly a wide discrepancy last year - I am not sure about the long term trend. I wonder how they even run the tournament, logisticalily.

If you take a look at 2017 the numbers at the sectional were only 12 that were considered teams out of the 22 teams at the sectional. In order to be considered a team you must have 7 wrestlers weigh in . 2019 was a count year so I guess the state thought well this is only a 1 year thing. I would say at the next count if the central has crazy numbers that would warrant splitting the sectional.

In the southeast we had 22 teams at our sectional from 2001-till like 2005. As teams got there numbers up they had to split the sectional. When you look at the centrals numbers in 2017 the previous count year. 10 teams were not recognized out of the 23 there. So in reality the state only saw it as a sectional of 13 even though there were 23 there. Thats how the state looks at things as crazy as it sounds. The next count year is 2021 I think. So they would take a look then to see if things need to switch up .

As mentioned before, 8 teams * 14 weights = a maximum of 112 kids.

I understand that there are probably holes in some of the lineups, but 22 teams seems crazy. There was clearly a wide discrepancy last year - I am not sure about the long term trend. I wonder how they even run the tournament, logisticalily.
It's a 2 day tournament.

Not my words, but in response to an inquiry I received. It is what it is at this point.

All of the sectional and district tournaments are based on representation, meaning the number of schools in that division in that athletic district, compared to the rest of the state in that division.

The representation is set for a two-year cycle and this is the first year of the two-year cycle.

The representation for a two-year cycle is based on the total number of teams (teams defined as 7 or more wrestlers on a school team that participated in sectional in the given year, 2019 is this case).

In 2019, the Central District had 12 teams participate in the sectional tournament, which only earns them one sectional site, as you can see in the red box below.

There are only 16 sectional sites in each division, and each athletic district earns sectional sites by team participation. In this two-year cycle, the Central will only host 1 sectional site because that is all it is entitled to through the representation formula.

I know this is complicated, but it is equitable for all districts and consistent across all OHSAA sports, and more specifically, individual sports.

When it comes to wrestling team assignments for sectionals & districts, the state has no answers. How can the south of the state allow team seeding, Top team seeds choose where they want to wrestle. Up north teams are assigned to sectionals. How do you think 22 teams go to 1 sectional? Teams are running from St Paris Graham. Why aren't teams in the north of the state seeded for sectionals? Why? The sectionals in the north that advance to Alliance every year seems unfair. At Alliance, at many weight classes, 7 of the 16 wrestlers in the bracket are ranked top 10 in the state. The state needs to rethink sectional and district assignments. Maybe instead of the current east to west alignment of area, the state could go north to south. Or adding a District to the Cleveland area. All I know is there needs to be a change/ The system is flawed and inconsistent.