MLB postseason expansion

I’m okay with it, but why no home game for the bottom 3 in rd1? Is it just a matter of time and travel? Does anyone like the 1 game play-in?

I’m okay with it, but why no home game for the bottom 3 in rd1? Is it just a matter of time and travel? Does anyone like the 1 game play-in?
A scenario of game 1 at home for the lower seed and then two home games for the higher seed would make it a very interesting series.

Overall I'm in favor of expanding. Hopefully it will incentivize teams to try and compete every year and not tank.

A scenario of game 1 at home for the lower seed and then two home games for the higher seed would make it a very interesting series.

Overall I'm in favor of expanding. Hopefully it will incentivize teams to try and compete every year and not tank.
You'd probably have to add another travel day in that scenario which MLB probably doesn't want. The #1 team would have a whole week off

Sunday: Regular season ends
Monday: Travel day
Tuesday: Game 1
Wednesday: Travel day
Thursday: Game 2
Friday: Game 3
Saturday: Travel day
Sunday: LDS Game 1

You'd probably have to add another travel day in that scenario which MLB probably doesn't want. The #1 team would have a whole week off

Sunday: Regular season ends
Monday: Travel day
Tuesday: Game 1
Wednesday: Travel day
Thursday: Game 2
Friday: Game 3
Saturday: Travel day
Sunday: LDS Game 1
They play plenty of games without a travel day. Why is a travel day necessary in the playoffs?

It just feels like the odds are heavily stacked against a team without one home game, but it’s still better than a one game play-in.

I agree, the play-in game is silly. So I guess the metric is 4 out of 4 baseball fans on Yappi dislike the play-in game.

I actually like the 3-game series hosted by the 2 division winners and WC #1. Keeps the proper emphasis on the 162 game regular season. If you are 5th, 6th or 7th best team in the regular season, you will be happy to get a shot at winning a 3-game series to advance.

Am I saying that maybe MLB is doing something right? Feels strange, but yeah, I think I am.

This seems pretty good to me other than the teams picking who they play. That's pretty stupid. Just bracket the thing out based on record.

And since this seems aimed at grabbing people's interest, start the games earlier in the evening so kids can watch and add some double-headers to the regular season and shorten it.

This seems pretty good to me other than the teams picking who they play. That's pretty stupid. Just bracket the thing out based on record.

And since this seems aimed at grabbing people's interest, start the games earlier in the evening so kids can watch and add some double-headers to the regular season and shorten it.
Yep. Can't get the next generation interested in the game if they can't watch them.

Yeah, I was only speaking from a fan/fairness perspective. 1 game play-in after a 162 game grind? No thanks.
Right. The revenue matters though for teams looking to keep things rolling the following year. An extra 10M in revenue for each home game certainly helps add talent that offseason.

I seem to be one of the few that actually likes this idea. The play in game is dumb and this eliminates it.
I'm ok with it. Baseball gets killed regularly for being too stiff and traditional. Like him or not, Manford is trying some new things. Heck, other pro sports leagues just keep expanding playoffs. Now the back lash is you're going to really minimize the regular season, kind of like the NBA. But you also possibly keep fanbases interested longer.

Yeah, I get there is a legit revenue perspective.
Just to illustrate how important that is, the Reds reportedly balk on Lindor because he was to expensive but yet they pursued Seager. The difference in salary.... less than 10M.

Unless there would be a revenue sharing plan (and there could be) I would think teams would want to push for a split series.

I'm ok with it. Baseball gets killed regularly for being too stiff and traditional. Like him or not, Manford is trying some new things. Heck, other pro sports leagues just keep expanding playoffs. Now the back lash is you're going to really minimize the regular season, kind of like the NBA. But you also possibly keep fanbases interested longer.
This plan makes the regular season more important, not less. As it stands now, half the teams or more stop trying to win by July 31 and go into tank mode. This plan would make more teams feel as though they have a shot and not sell off. It would also make the offseason much more exciting and likely drive up player salaries. Now they just need to implement a hard salary cap and fix the draft order (first team out of the playoffs gets the #1 pick) and you'll have teams consistently trying to win!

Just to illustrate how important that is, the Reds reportedly balk on Lindor because he was to expensive but yet they pursued Seager. The difference in salary.... less than 10M.

Unless there would be a revenue sharing plan (and there could be) I would think teams would want to push for a split series.
I mean, it’s pretty obvious more playoff games would equal more opportunity for additional revenues.

I mean, it’s pretty obvious more playoff games would equal more opportunity for additional revenues.
Sort of.... The home team garners a much bigger piece of the revenue pie. Two years ago it was estimated that each additional home game equates to 10M in extra revenue for the host team.

By not guaranteeing at least one home playoff game teams may feel that adding payroll in the offseason or at the deadline isn't worth the risk. Especially if the "penalty" for missing the playoffs entirely is a lower draft pick. Therefore giving the #1 pick to the first team out makes sense (#2 pick to the second team out etc.). Incentivize winning!

Sort of.... The home team garners a much bigger piece of the revenue pie. Two years ago it was estimated that each additional home game equates to 10M in extra revenue for the host team.

By not guaranteeing at least one home playoff game teams may feel that adding payroll in the offseason or at the deadline isn't worth the risk. Especially if the "penalty" for missing the playoffs entirely is a lower draft pick. Therefore giving the #1 pick to the first team out makes sense (#2 pick to the second team out etc.). Incentivize winning!
I’m not sure MLB’s goal is to drive up team salary spending. At least it wouldn’t be mine.

I’m not sure MLB’s goal is to drive up team salary spending. At least it wouldn’t be mine.
Which is why they need a hard cap.

MLB's goal should be to make the sport a long term viable powerhouse with year over year of growth. Increasing fan excitement and enthusiasm certainly helps.

Yep. Can't get the next generation interested in the game if they can't watch them.
Not exactly on topic but your comment reminded me that the MLB wont allow fand/people to post clips onto social media. The nba is the exact opposite, they wont request anyone take down content bc they want people sharing and viewing clips of exciting plays.

Just pure insansity and shows how out of touch "baseball" is with today's population

Not exactly on topic but your comment reminded me that the MLB wont allow fand/people to post clips onto social media. The nba is the exact opposite, they wont request anyone take down content bc they want people sharing and viewing clips of exciting plays.

Just pure insansity and shows how out of touch "baseball" is with today's population

This could not be more correct. MLB is more interested in protecting and controlling the images, but that is not how marketing works today. Everybody puts the big Zion dunk or the crazy LeBron pass on social media, and the NBA benefits! MLB is living in the 1980s still. Or earlier.