XFL-Kickoff change..

I was skeptical but it works and removed the major safety complaint about kickoffs. No more sprinting 40 yards down field to hammer someone not looking. Plus the touchback and out of bounds ball placement makes kickers keep it where it's returnable.

I loved it and there could be some developing strategy based around this play, in particular I think you will see audible blocking schemes based on where the ball is kicked. I only watched a couple kick offs but was wondering if anyone knows how they handle on side kicks?

From XFL.com

• a team wishes to run an onside kick, it must indicate this to the official before the play and the two teams will be permitted to line up using traditional NFL rules (i.e. 10 yards apart from the kicking team). There will be no surprise onside kicks.

"Implement it across the board"

If I had a kicker that could even get the ball 25 yard downfield I'd be over the moon, how are you gonna make the rule work at small schools who don't have kickers?

"Implement it across the board"

If I had a kicker that could even get the ball 25 yard downfield I'd be over the moon, how are you gonna make the rule work at small schools who don't have kickers?
I assume you could let the kicking team choose where the two teams lineup, depending on your kicker's ability. It would be advantageous to line up closer to your opponent's end zone, but if the kicker can't make it that far, line everybody up closer to the kicker.

I think the XFL needs to patent or copyright a lot of these new rules so the No Fun League can’t steal all the glory. ?
I know that's tongue in cheek but the xfl should become a place the NFL tests rules.

I also believe it will lead to less penalties on KO as you don't have the return team trying to block players running at full speed

I know that's tongue in cheek but the xfl should become a place the NFL tests rules.

I also believe it will lead to less penalties on KO as you don't have the return team trying to block players running at full speed
I honestly am glad there is somewhere other than Canada for guys to play outside of the NFL, some of the teams didn’t look very good but it’s like any football team the first games usually are pretty sloppy. Yes the NFL could gain some real on-site on new rules and how to do things without making the masses too upset.

I honestly am glad there is somewhere other than Canada for guys to play outside of the NFL, some of the teams didn’t look very good but it’s like any football team the first games usually are pretty sloppy. Yes the NFL could gain some real on-site on new rules and how to do things without making the masses too upset.
These games were rea)ly like an expansion teams first pre season game I didn't thibk sat was bad. Sunday the Dallas team did not have their qb so week Two should be better. I like how hey Dont shy away from the gambling aspect

These games were rea)ly like an expansion teams first pre season game I didn't thibk sat was bad. Sunday the Dallas team did not have their qb so week Two should be better. I like how hey Dont shy away from the gambling aspect
I don’t any of those guys have anything to lose. Lol it was good to hear some of those coaching names that were on the sidelines also

Doesn't make sense for high school. I'm a fan of a team that returns some kickoffs for touchdowns and has a history of converting a decent number of successful onside kicks. Both are exciting. Both are inherently dangerous. High school football is supposed to be about developing kids. Time wasted on coaching special teams return coverage is just time that could have been used developing kids for scrimmage play. As fun as it is to watch a third string linebacker playing special teams make a big hit, it's not safe for a kid who is still developing.

I say move the kickoff back to the 35. Receiving team must remain at least 15 yards past the point of the kickoff or be subject to a 5 yard off-sides penalty with an automatic re-kick. Ban on-side kicks and kicking team unable to recover or take possession of anything but a muffed kick reception which is treated as a non-advanceable fumble. Other than in the end zone - if a player from the kicking team touches the ball, it's dead there regardless of where and the ball is placed there with possession to the receiving team. If kicking team touches or catches in end zone, it's a touch back. Receiving team is always in fair catch mode - no need to signal and standard catch interference rules apply. For the receiving team, every player is a receiver. Kicks that hit receiving team players before the ball has traveled 30 yards are downed at the point of contact. Receivers who deliberately place themselves to be hit or try to bat down a low kick without an obvious attempt to catch the ball are penalized 15 yards for unsportmanlike conduct. Receivers are not allowed to return the kickoff. Where they catch the ball is where the ball is placed unless it is caught by receiving team after the kick advances past the 20 yard line - then it is a touchback with the ball placed at the receiving team's own 20. Balls that roll dead without catch or downing by the kicking team are placed where the ball stops. If the receiving team opts against trying to catch the kick, they risk having the ball downed inside the 20 - so they have to make a try to "catch" the kick. Receiving team is allowed to block. Kicking team is banned from initiating any contact and penalized with catch interference unless inadvertent. Balls kicked out of bounds inside the 35 are placed at receiving team's own 35. Balls kicked out of bounds before the 35 are placed where the ball went out. Allow kicking team to forgo the kickoff and give the ball to the opponent at their 35. Don't punish them for not having a kicker or a kicker who can't kick more than 30 yards. Reduce the kickoff to a glorified practice for the kicker to kick as deep as possible and the kick "returners" to catch and secure the ball cleanly.

Yeah, this would not work in HS as well in HS

This is a great solution to the problem of touch backs, penalties, injuries and the absolutely idiotic fair catch rule in college.