Rhodes to forfeit 10 wins for using an ineligible player

James x2

This was reported in Cleveland.com. Their record goes from 15-3 to 5-13 and will not play for the Senate League Championship. Whats next?

Last edited:

The Lakewood district I would think
My comment was in relation to first Cleve. Hts, now Rhodes. These schools never learn the fine points of the bylaws. The article in the paper sounds like this player transferred last year and sat out x amt. of games.He needed to sit out x amt. of games this year in order to equal I full varsity regular season total. He can't compete in scrimmages ,etc, pre-season, nada .For example if the season is 22 games and he transferred into Rhodes last year with 7 games left he would need to sit the first 15 games this season to equal a full season.That was what I took away from this rule.He came back to early and thus the penalty. That was my take.Maybe right or wrong on my part.

My comment was in relation to first Cleve. Hts, now Rhodes. These schools never learn the fine points of the bylaws. The article in the paper sounds like this player transferred last year and sat out x amt. of games.He needed to sit out x amt. of games this year in order to equal I full varsity regular season total. He can't compete in scrimmages ,etc, pre-season, nada .For example if the season is 22 games and he transferred into Rhodes last year with 7 games left he would need to sit the first 15 games this season to equal a full season.That was what I took away from this rule.He came back to early and thus the penalty. That was my take.Maybe right or wrong on my part.

If a player transfers during a sport's season in which he already competed for his former school, he must sit the rest of that sport's season at the latter school. The player also faces eligibility restrictions in any sports played at the former school during the 12 months prior to the transfer to the latter school. Those restrictions are in effect until the 1-year anniversary of the date of enrollment at the latter school.

Unfortunately, the link to the OHSAA's bylaws on their website is currently inaccessible, so I can't look it up right now to piece together exactly how this situation should've been handled.

About the best advice I can give to a transfer is: go play a sport that you didn't play at your former school. There are no limits on participating in those sports after transferring.

When in doubt, sit out until everything is straightened out either in writing or straight from the Commissioner's mouth. The penalty isn't worth it in most cases.