Swbl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waynesville game is tomorrow. They been hit with the fu and some injuries in January. Newsome and Combs had to sit 2nd half of season as transfers. Dean was kicked off team. Another player had to sit two games for getting two technicals in a game. It’s been a bumpy ride for the Indians this year despite some pre-season buzz.

Last edited:
Madison has had about the most restful end of the schedule as I have ever seen. Let us see if Smith can finish the league off and win some tourney game. I am betting that he cannot.

I don’t know how much this is out there but Smith is retiring from coachingat the end of the season.

Oakwood and Monroe go at it tonight. Loser is most likely out for a chance at the league title. Monroe dominated the first game at their place, 78-52. Home court advantage has played a big factor between these teams the last few years. Franklin still has the lead by one game in the league standings. End of the season could get interesting.

Poff, then Ricky Davis and now Smith. What’s going on? They getting ready for the new and improved swbl over there in Madison?

I heard Smith was going to do this before the season ever started. He wasn’t forced out he just decided the time was right. He wants to spend more time with his family. Also I think Madison will struggle for a few years after this. Talent is thin.

Arrows fall 42-52 they shot the ball terrible tonight Singleton with 15 points and 11 rebounds Agee with 13 points 1 rebounds yikes better regroup and get ready for Arcanum on Saturday

Big win for Monroe at Oakwood 61-56 after being down 21-8 after the first.
all visiting teams shoot poorly for the first 6 to 8 minutes in the embarrassment known as the Pit. Hate that facility more than any I have ever visited. Richest school district in the region and they somehow seem to take pleasure inviting opponents into the 100+ year-old place with no parking lot, no temperature control, no hand railing on the steps in the stands, hard uncomfortable wooden bench seating. Build a gym with a parking lot. Geesh.

Last edited:
Arrows fall 42-52 they shot the ball terrible tonight Singleton with 15 points and 11 rebounds Agee with 13 points 1 rebounds yikes better regroup and get ready for Arcanum on Saturday
Bummer... that officially ends the Arrows chances at a league title. Waynesville (at MU) and Madison (at Northridge) both have tough road games on Friday, but even if they both lose, they will both only have 3 league losses heading into their big matchup next Friday night. Waynesville at Madison will be for the Buckeye Division title, whether it's for the outright title, or a share of the title will be all that's likely on the line.

I heard Smith was going to do this before the season ever started. He wasn’t forced out he just decided the time was right. He wants to spend more time with his family. Also I think Madison will struggle for a few years after this. Talent is thin.
Madison is about to lose over 66 points per game scoring by their Senor class. Which is obviously led by the Whisman kid who will be player of the year for the Buckeye Division. It does appear it will be a good time strategically to step down if you aren't as into it as you used to be.

all visiting teams shoot poorly for the first 6 to 8 minutes in the embarrassment known as the Pit. Hate that facility more than any I have ever visited. Richest school district in the region and they somehow seem to take pleasure inviting opponents into the 100+ year-old place with no parking lot, no temperature control, no hand railing on the steps in the stands, hard uncomfortable wooden bench seating. Build a gym with a parking lot. Geesh.
Tough loss for the Jacks last night. Don't have the stats, but I think they miss 12 free throws with a number of them being the front end of a one in one. Hats off to Monroe they never quit playing hard. Like the first game these two teams played, it appeared like Monroe wanted more.

As for the Pit.... as a former player it is the BEST place to play. Opposing teams hate the place for a number of reasons, too hot, walls too close, blinding light over the baskets, court is short...but when you practice in it everyday, you don't notice any of those issues. Its a home court advantage and I don't know of any former players from Oakwood who want it to be replaced. All the guys I played and my children played with love it.

I agree that from a fans perspective it is lacking in many areas you mentioned but its still fun to see how people react to it when they visit it for the first time. Long live the PIT!!

Bummer... that officially ends the Arrows chances at a league title. Waynesville (at MU) and Madison (at Northridge) both have tough road games on Friday, but even if they both lose, they will both only have 3 league losses heading into their big matchup next Friday night. Waynesville at Madison will be for the Buckeye Division title, whether it's for the outright title, or a share of the title will be all that's likely on the line.
Milton is struggling right now. Waynesville isn’t. The Dogs need a near perfect game to pull that one off. Northridge is always dangerous.

Tough loss for the Jacks last night. Don't have the stats, but I think they miss 12 free throws with a number of them being the front end of a one in one. Hats off to Monroe they never quit playing hard. Like the first game these two teams played, it appeared like Monroe wanted more.

As for the Pit.... as a former player it is the BEST place to play. Opposing teams hate the place for a number of reasons, too hot, walls too close, blinding light over the baskets, court is short...but when you practice in it everyday, you don't notice any of those issues. Its a home court advantage and I don't know of any former players from Oakwood who want it to be replaced. All the guys I played and my children played with love it.

I agree that from a fans perspective it is lacking in many areas you mentioned but its still fun to see how people react to it when they visit it for the first time. Long live the PIT!!
Monroe needs Oakwood to take care of Franklin to earn a share of the league title.

Madison is about to lose over 66 points per game scoring by their Senor class. Which is obviously led by the Whisman kid who will be player of the year for the Buckeye Division. It does appear it will be a good time strategically to step down if you aren't as into it as you used to be.

A lot of coaches are quitters when the going appears to be getting tougher.

The guys been coaching for around 30 years. He's had had worse teams than he would of had next year. You said the same thing about Poff not knowing the full story. I'm sure Jeff Smith isn't just quitting because he's losing a lot of seniors this season.

The guys been coaching for around 30 years. He's had had worse teams than he would of had next year. You said the same thing about Poff not knowing the full story. I'm sure Jeff Smith isn't just quitting because he's losing a lot of seniors this season.

Lol Got it.

Has a bunch of juniors coming up that are very talented! I read that he wants to spend time with family

Has a bunch of juniors coming up that are very talented! I read that he wants to spend time with family
I'm sure they will still be competitive. They just won't be like they have been the last 3 years. I just think they are running into a similar situation to the football team.. they had a great group of boys come through, and then it'll be back to normal. Just looking at the SWBL site and I can see that prior to these last 3 years, from 2013-2017, Madison was very mid-pack. 3 out of the 5 years they had losing records.

I would guess it's a little of both. He was coaching at Middletown Christian in the early 90's when I was in high school. I know he quit about 15 years ago when his kids were in high school at another school so he could watch them play (they played at Middletown Christian). Whatever you think about Smith as a coach, he is a good, quality human being. I'm guessing he has planned to shut it down after this group for a couple of years. If you're getting close to retirement why not go out after a good season. I would guess that leaves a better taste in your mouth in the long run.

I would guess it's a little of both. He was coaching at Middletown Christian in the early 90's when I was in high school. I know he quit about 15 years ago when his kids were in high school at another school so he could watch them play (they played at Middletown Christian). Whatever you think about Smith as a coach, he is a good, quality human being. I'm guessing he has planned to shut it down after this group for a couple of years. If you're getting close to retirement why not go out after a good season. I would guess that leaves a better taste in your mouth in the long run.
Absolutely, and I'm OK with that. You don't want to end up like Augspurger at TVS this year. He's been a great coach at TVS since 1988. Has won well over 400 games. TVS won a league title last year and it was an ideal time to call it quits. He stuck around 1 more year and the team is now 2-17 this season. The worst season he's ever had. I would have very much respected his decision to retire after last season if he did.

Excellent post.

I'm sure they will still be competitive. They just won't be like they have been the last 3 years. I just think they are running into a similar situation to the football team.. they had a great group of boys come through, and then it'll be back to normal. Just looking at the SWBL site and I can see that prior to these last 3 years, from 2013-2017, Madison was very mid-pack. 3 out of the 5 years they had losing records.
In the last 20 years, the basketball teams at Madison have had many more winning seasons than the football teams.

Madison beat Northridge by 15 or so but this was the most physical game of the season. Northridge has a lot of talent, just not a lot of great outside shooting. Madison has learned how to play physical and scrappy, something they were lacking as a team last year. This was a great game to get ready for tourney time. Big, big game against Waynesville Friday night for league title.

Senior guards Darren Rubin and Daniel Hu matched 20 point nights and Freshman Wil Maxwell added 18 as Oakwood picked up a 70-57 road win at Bellbrook. The Jacks travel to Northridge for a crossover game tomorrow and finish at Franklin on the 14th. Oakwood now 7-4 in the league and 14-6 overall. Bellbrook drops to 5-6 and 9-11. The Eagles finish with two road games, a crossover at Preble Shawnee on Tuesday and at Monroe next Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.