Future of the SWBL

The GCL-Coed is facing some issues, they are about to be down to 5 schools with Purcell-Marion and Roger Bacon joining the MVC leaving McNick in a precarious spot as being an hour plus on a bus from their closest league opponent, so that leaves the COEd with Fenwick, Alter, Carroll, Badin, and CJ as a five team conference I don't think Fenwick is that big of a stretch they used to be in a conference with Franklin, Edgewood, Monroe and Talawanda.

Big: All D2 and D3 teams
Edgewood
Talawanda
Wilmington
Franklin
Monroe
Ross
Bellbrook
Fenwick

Small: All D4 and D5 teams
Clinton Massie
Oakwood
Valley View
Eaton
Waynesville
Carlisle
Brookville
Madison

Would not have to play any crossovers and allows for three non league games, could play crossovers if you'd like in weeks 1-3 would make for a heck of a conference in my opinion.
?

I agree about the schools you stated staying loyal to each other. As a TVS guy it's nice to finally be in a conference with Dixie/Preble Shawnee. 2 bordering school districts with similar sized schools. It never made sense to not be in a league with them. For the WOAC, I would love to add Carlisle and Madison. That would be my dream conference if we could also add Brookville (which I know won't happen). But a conference of TVS, TCN, National Trail, Preble Shawnee, Dixie, Arcanum, Tri Village, Carlisle, Madison and Brookville would be a dream scenario for me.
brookville will always stay in a more metro-dayton type of league i’m thinking. the TRC would be the only conference they would realistically go to.

Before Niswonger. So, 75-84. They weren’t anything like they were in the 90s.
Milton never lost to them until a non-conference game in the late 90s. I played against those Valley View teams. They were just ok

Valley View won back to back league titles in 82-83 I believe. The ‘82 team went 9-1 and the only loss was to a 10-0 Springboro and the score was 7-0. The 83 team went 8-2.

I agree about the schools you stated staying loyal to each other. As a TVS guy it's nice to finally be in a conference with Dixie/Preble Shawnee. 2 bordering school districts with similar sized schools. It never made sense to not be in a league with them. For the WOAC, I would love to add Carlisle and Madison. That would be my dream conference if we could also add Brookville (which I know won't happen). But a conference of TVS, TCN, National Trail, Preble Shawnee, Dixie, Arcanum, Tri Village, Carlisle, Madison and Brookville would be a dream scenario for me.
I would think this would be a great fit for Madison and Carlisle. Not sure how Dixie/Preble would feel about this but for those two it would be great.

You are probably right, I doubt they would bring in 2 schools that would be the biggest schools in the conference.
I doubt we would see the happen in the next couple years. Maybe 3-4 down the road when a few schools are re-evaluating things. Especially if the new merged SWBL isn't a good fit for some of the smaller schools.

Just for fun, if the WOAC would add a couple teams like Carlisle/Madison, I do think there would be a way to split into divisions and make it work. Whether it's a North/South split or even Big/Small school split. Something could work.

All those smaller CCC schools kicked out Covington, Miami East and Bethel for a reason, and it wasn't so they could play Madison and Carlisle. I'm guessing there is zero interest in this from the WOAC members.

All those smaller CCC schools kicked out Covington, Miami East and Bethel for a reason, and it wasn't so they could play Madison and Carlisle. I'm guessing there is zero interest in this from the WOAC members.
I certainly can't speak for the entire conference, but I can speak as a TVS fan, and I would love it if we added Madison/Carlisle. We would be looking at 25 minute drives to Madison/Carlisle, instead of the drives to Miami East (57 minutes), Covington (50 minutes) and Bethel (45 minutes). But that's just me speaking. I know that some of the other schools would have no interest in that. It wouldn't make sense for teams like Bradford, Miss Valley and Ansonia to have any interest in adding Madison/Carlisle.

I know TVS is adding Carlisle as it's one OOC football game starting in the fall of 2021. So it's nice to be able to start something like that up. Also, Madison is typically our Jamboree game before week 1, so we usually play them in football too. Even though it's usually not very competitive, and I wonder if they will eventually look for someone else.

I certainly can't speak for the entire conference, but I can speak as a TVS fan, and I would love it if we added Madison/Carlisle. We would be looking at 25 minute drives to Madison/Carlisle, instead of the drives to Miami East (57 minutes), Covington (50 minutes) and Bethel (45 minutes). But that's just me speaking. I know that some of the other schools would have no interest in that. It wouldn't make sense for teams like Bradford, Miss Valley and Ansonia to have any interest in adding Madison/Carlisle.

I know TVS is adding Carlisle as it's one OOC football game starting in the fall of 2021. So it's nice to be able to start something like that up. Also, Madison is typically our Jamboree game before week 1, so we usually play them in football too. Even though it's usually not very competitive, and I wonder if they will eventually look for someone else.
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Carlisle competing in any sport in the new SWBL. Baseball will be their most competitive team and I think they would be fighting to be middle of the pack. Football won't win a conference game anytime soon and basketball will really struggle as well.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Carlisle competing in any sport in the new SWBL. Baseball will be their most competitive team and I think they would be fighting to be middle of the pack. Football won't win a conference game anytime soon and basketball will really struggle as well.
What’s going on at Carlisle? They are typically competitive.

I think you are correct. I'm not sure what is going on at Carlisle, but they are going to have trouble competing in football/basketball for sure in the new league. They seem to be the most likely school to eventually look to find a new conference. I believe Madison will be a lot more competitive. I know Madison will lose a lot at basketball, but I view them still as more of a mid-tier team for football/basketball/baseball. They may have some down years but they will also have years where they compete to win the league.

What’s going on at Carlisle? They are typically competitive.
Numbers are an issue in football and basketball. I don't know the last time they fielded a freshman basketball team, they haven't had a full JV football schedule in at least 2 years. Numbers at the Jr. High aren't great either. For whatever reason their better athletes are playing either basketball or football and not both. It's hurting both programs.

Numbers are an issue in football and basketball. I don't know the last time they fielded a freshman basketball team, they haven't had a full JV football schedule in at least 2 years. Numbers at the Jr. High aren't great either. For whatever reason their better athletes are playing either basketball or football and not both. It's hurting both programs.
I think many smaller schools are seeing that. Milton Is too. Enrollment drops pretty bad at MU in the 20’s. Might be looking at D6.

I think many smaller schools are seeing that. Milton Is too. Enrollment drops pretty bad at MU in the 20’s. Might be looking at D6.
So I just looked it up on the SWBL site, and if you add up all the wins out of football, soccer, and basketball for Carlisle varsity boys this year , it’s a total of 7 wins out of 3 sports we keep talking about not competing when the four teams leave they aren’t competing now.

So I just looked it up on the SWBL site, and if you add up all the wins out of football, soccer, and basketball for Carlisle varsity boys this year , it’s a total of 7 wins out of 3 sports we keep talking about not competing when the four teams leave they aren’t competing now.
I know... it's going to be very tough for Carlisle. I just don't know what better options there are for them moving forward. Joining the WOAC is not a realistic option. The TRC is not an option. Maybe a Cincinnati conference?.... Maybe the Metro Buckeye Conference?....

I know... it's going to be very tough for Carlisle. I just don't know what better options there are for them moving forward. Joining the WOAC is not a realistic option. The TRC is not an option. Maybe a Cincinnati conference?.... Maybe the Metro Buckeye Conference?....
I agree, not sure where they go. I just know with new schools it's going to be rough seeing every boys sports team struggle. On the girls side it looks like basketball will be competitive but not sure any other sport will be. In the next 3-4 years Carlisle will have some interesting decisions to make.

I don’t see the SWBL making any changes in the next 5 years. 10 team leagues are making a comeback and that leaves the SWBL sitting pretty. There’s always been a disparity of size in the SWBL since its founding. Schools change and since Carlisle sits where it does that could be beneficial. Milton is joining the TRC because the enrollment numbers are ticking down. Eventually MU will be d6. Dixie and Shawnee are moving for other reasons. I feel Northridge and Milton are partnering in many things.
Maybe a Carlisle and Madison will do the same, joining or creating a new conference. Carlisle, Madison could join the conference Clinton Massie belongs to. Massie and Miami Trace move to the SWBL. Waynesville could follow suit exchanging with Wash CH Washington.

i was thinking the Miami Valley Conference with CHCA, etc as the only realistic option. they would fit in well with the Scarlett.

Last edited:
I don’t see the SWBL making any changes in the next 5 years. 10 team leagues are making a comeback and that leaves the SWBL sitting pretty. There’s always been a disparity of size in the SWBL since its founding. Schools change and since Carlisle sits where it does that could be beneficial. Milton is joining the TRC because the enrollment numbers are ticking down. Eventually MU will be d6. Dixie and Shawnee are moving for other reasons. I feel Northridge and Milton are partnering in many things.
Maybe a Carlisle and Madison will do the same, joining or creating a new conference. Carlisle, Madison could join the conference Clinton Massie belongs to. Massie and Miami Trace move to the SWBL. Waynesville could follow suit exchanging with Wash CH Washington.
I would've liked to see Brookville and Milton pair up. I don't see why they never really played crossovers anyways. I think Waynesville likes the SWBL as they should. I think they might push for the additions of Clinton Massie and Wilmington, which I also think they should. Courthouse and Trace, that's a stretch to me. WCH, MT, CM, and Wilmington makes the most sense to me but that has already been tried and it failed as a conference.

what makes sense but will never happen:

Miami Trace
Washington Court House
Wilmington
Clinton Massie
Western Brown
Hillsboro
Blanchester
East Clinton

I think realistically, we something like this for the SWBL:

Oakwood
Eaton
Waynesville
Bellbrook
Franklin
Valley View
Wilmington
Clinton Massie

Carlisle and Madison to the MVC. Monroe could find a Cincy option and Brookville belongs in the TRC, so that could happen.

Last edited:
Brookville
Bellbrook
Clinton Massie
Eaton
Franklin
Miami Trace
Monroe
Oakwood
Washington CH
Valley View
Nice looking conference
Brookville needs to join the TRC.

I would've liked to see Brookville and Milton pair up. I don't see why they never really played crossovers anyways.
Brookville and Milton Union pairing up makes a lot of sense. I also think Brookville would be a good fit in the TRC if they ever look to leave the SWBL. However, I think they will stay in the SWBL until they no longer are competitive, which may never happen.

Brookville
Bellbrook
Clinton Massie
Eaton
Franklin
Miami Trace
Monroe
Oakwood
Washington CH
Valley View
Nice looking conference
Brookville needs to join the TRC.
Eaton to Miami Trace is a HAUL(72 miles one way). Carlisle and Madison joining the SBAAC where Massie and Wilmington currently are would create huge travel issues especially for the basketball only schools in the SBAAC (70 miles one way to Felicity). I don't know where Carilsle ends up but their options are VERY limited.

Massie would leave to replace them in the SWBL. BUT YOU’RE RIGHT, travel nightmares.
Maybe Eaton joins the WOAC!? ???

well, in many cases Eaton competes like a WOAC school.. but all jokes a side, if Eaton were to drop down to D5 I could see that happening.
All 5 Preble County schools in the same conference would be a cool thing. But Eaton is much too large in enrollment. They would have to drop beyond D5 before they could join. I just don't see that ever happening. Eaton is where they should be. If anything, I see Eaton, Brookville and VV as paired up.

What "other reasons" is Dixie moving for? It's the smallest school in the SWBL. And won't be the biggest in the WOAC. Smallest and least competitive are the reasons they are leaving. Am I missing something?

What "other reasons" is Dixie moving for? It's the smallest school in the SWBL. And won't be the biggest in the WOAC. Smallest and least competitive are the reasons they are leaving. Am I missing something?
Those are the reasons I would say Dixie left,maybe having some closer rivals, I think people don’t realize that Dixie and Shawnee had no plans on leaving the SWBL, those 10 CCC schools came to us with a idea Dixie and Shawnee seen what was happening in the SWBL and made the decision to leave. I’m still not sure why Northridge left really didn’t make any sense, the TRC conference seemed a little rushed to me I think Milton and Northridge would’ve been better off staying in the SWBL.

Those are the reasons I would say Dixie left,maybe having some closer rivals, I think people don’t realize that Dixie and Shawnee had no plans on leaving the SWBL, those 10 CCC schools came to us with a idea Dixie and Shawnee seen what was happening in the SWBL and made the decision to leave. I’m still not sure why Northridge left really didn’t make any sense, the TRC conference seemed a little rushed to me I think Milton and Northridge would’ve been better off staying in the SWBL.
milton is in the right place in the TRC but i wouldve likes to see brookville join the TRC instead of northridge. northridge leaving likely had something to do with being competitive