What Movies Did You Watch in February 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4017 Resident Evil 6: The Final Chapter (US-2016) ... 2.0/8

#4018 Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (US-2015) ... 2.0/8

#4019 Fiend (US-1980) ... 3.5/8

#4020 Dr. Giggles (US-1992) ... 6.0/8

#4021 Hereditary (US-2018) ... 7.0/8

#4022 Keep My Grave Open (US-1977) ... 3.5/8

#4023 The VVitch: A New England Folktale (Canada-2015) ... 6.5/8

#4024 Candy Corn (US-2019) ... 4.0/8

#4025 Hellraiser 10: Judgment (US-2018) ... 2.5/8

#4026 Green Room (US-2015) ... 3.5/8

#4027 The Redwood Massacre (UK-2014) ... 2.5/8

#4028 Hanno Cambiato Faccia (Italy-1971) ... aka They Have Changed Their Face ... 3.0/8

#4029 Sinister 2 (US-2015) ... 5.0/8

#4030 Leatherface (US-2017) ... 5.0/8

#4031 Unfriended 2: Dark Web (US-2018) ... 5.0/8

#4032 The Tormenting (Malaysia-2016) ... 0.5/8

#4033 The Young Cannibals (US-2019) ... 4.5/8

#4034 Hangman (UK-2015) ... 2.5/8

#4035 Haunted High (US-2012) ... 3.0/8

#4036 Tone-Deaf (US-2019) ... 5.0/8

#4037 Ta Paidia Tou Diavolou (Greek-1976) ... aka "Island of Death" ... 4.5/8

#4038 El Caníbal (Spain-1980) ... 3.5/8

#4039 Schramm (Germany-1993) ... 5.0/8

#4040 Invasion of the Blood Farmers (US-1972) ... 2.5/8

#4041 What Have You Done To Solange? (Italy-1972) ... 5.0/8

#4042 The Legend of Black Annie (US-2012) ... 3.5/8

#4043 Bridgend (Denmark-2015) ... 3.0/8

#4044 Horsehead (France-2014) ... 4.5/8

#4045 Turkey Shoot (Australia-1982) ... 5.0/8

Last edited:

Resident Evil 6: The Final Chapter (2016)

Horror: Finally,. this series is over and my suffering ends..... Just a lot of nonsense action with the big stupid reveal...... 2.0/8

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (2015)

Horror: How could I pass up a title like this. Sure, I know it is going to be bad... ok, really bad but I just had to. Some large breasted inmates get loose and are running around the swamps of Arkansas and find themselves being hunted by prehistoric land sharks! ... 2.0/8

Fiend (1980)

Horror: A man suspects that his neighbor has something to do with the recent murders. It is what it is and not too shabby for just a $6000 budget.... 3.5/8

Dr. Giggles (1992)

Horror: A madman who believes he is a doctor seeks revenge on the residents of a town that murdered his father. This is just a fun sick film to watch..... 6.0/8

Hereditary (2018)

Horror: A family spirals out of control following the death of a parent. This was an excellent film and likely in my top 50 of the horror genre!!! ... 7.0/8

Keep My Grave Open (1977)

Horror: This was a strange one. A woman who is not all there has conversations with her brother who isn't really there meanwhile somebody is killing off the town folk. I fell asleep the first time and had to re-watch parts of it and it makes more sense now .... 3.5/8

Gretel and Hansel (2020) 1/8 A new take on an old fairy tale. Maybe some people will like this one, but I was not impressed. I don't know if the director was trying to be artistic or something, but it was bad. Not scary. Not really that creepy or shocking. No gore. I'm not even really sure what was really happening. Luckily it was only about 90 minutes long, I might have walked out had it been much longer.

The VVitch: A New England Folktale (Canada - 2015)

Horror: 1630 New England a family has been removed from a plantation and must make it on their own in the wilderness. Questions arise when their new born disappears as thoughts of witchcraft fuels their superstitions. Amazing acting by the kids in this one. Creepy ...... 6.5/8

Candy Corn (2019)

Horror: A Halloween prank goes wrong and now the pranksters are being hunted by something sinister. This just looked like southwest Ohio and sure enough it was shot in Blanchester..... Not to bad for what it was.... 4.0/8

Horror: 1630 New England a family has been removed from a plantation and must make it on their own in the wilderness. Questions arise when their new born disappears as thoughts of witchcraft fuels their superstitions. Amazing acting by the kids in this one. Creepy ...... 6.5/8

I think the Gretel and Hansel movie I just saw was trying to tap into this same type of horror/creepy element, but failed miserably. Those twins in The Witch were super creepy and did an excellent job in their roles.

Really good movie. Who was the real witch? The overly pious, superstitious and accusatory parents were the scariest of them all, IMO. In the end, the parents got what they deserved: a self-fulfilled prophecy from their daughter.

Midway 4/8 I liked the more complete Pacific Theatre Naval story but, eh on the acting. Harrelson I bought into, much understated from his usual over the top. A lot of the rest struck me comical at points. The CGI was a distraction.

I think I would have liked more pre-war Layton-Yamamoto dynamic at the beginning.

giphy.gif

Black Phillip, Black Phillip A crown grows out his head,
Black Phillip, Black Phillip To nanny queen is wed.
Jump to the fence post, Running in the stall.
Black Phillip, Black Phillip King of all.

Black Phillip, Black Phillip King of sky and land,
Black Phillip, Black Phillip King of sea and sand.
We are ye servants, We are ye men.
Black Phillip eats the lions From the lions' den.

Hellraiser 10: Judgment (2018)

Horror: A detective has a run in with the Cenobites. Very stale installment and the ending sucked. Worse of the series.... 2.5/8

Green Room (2015)

Horror: A punk rock group that ran out of money and desperate for a gig gets a last chance at a skinhead hangout but stumbles onto something they were not suppose to see. Not sure what the hype was on this one.... 3.5/8

Jo Jo Rabbit 7/8. Not sure it stuck the landing but this movie would bring different feelings depending who I watch it with. I like movies like that. Amazing performances by Johanson and Rockwell. Rebel Wilson played Rebel Willson but it fit the role. Terrific dialogue throughout. With Little Women and Parasite still to see, this is my clear front runner for Best Pic.

Oscars
Have not seen Richard Jewel yet, Bates getting great reviews there. So far Johnson my favorite, better than in Marriage Story. Sam Rockwell earned a place in supporting role he didn't get. I'm not getting the fascination with Irishmen. Same old schtik, how many times these guys going to get nominated for playing the same character?

Blast From The Past: 5/8 Nostalgic movie that is obviously no masterpiece, but is a fun concept. Plus I’ve always been a sucker for Brendan Fraser.

The Redwood Massacre (UK-2014)

Horror: This was the random "Tubi" horror watch for our group and boy did we rip this one apart. A group of friends set out to hike to the Red house where brutal murders took place 20 years ago. Their was no logic to this one and other to than the gore not much to like ... the ending was pathetic..... 2.5/8

Hanno Cambiato Faccia (Italy-1971)

Horror: An employee gets invited to visit with the president of the company in a remote villa. The good news is he is getting a promotion, the bad.... well his boss is ..... This one is a slap on Capitalism and a test on my Italian especially since there were no English subs.... I found it pretty dull but strange.... 3.0/8

Birds of Prey: 4.75/8

I’ll admit up front that I fell asleep for a good 35 minutes of this. I can’t completely blame the movie as I almost chose a nap over seeing it.

That said, the rest of the movie doesn’t exactly blow you away. DC continues to try and differentiate themselves from Marvel, but their movies still just continue to be missing something. Aquaman was a big blockbuster but a mess. Wonder Woman was good but overrated because it’s compared to the rest of their lesser movies. Shazam was good but felt more like Kick- than a big time studio blockbuster. This movie is much the same. Not every super hero movie has to be epic, but DC’s just lac

Den of Thieves: 5/8

I was slightly disappointed by this. I had been looking forward to seeing it and it had gotten good reviews from reviewers I trust. It starts off slow though and a small side story gets in the way and isn’t even satisfyingly wrapped up. I think the movie probably works better if they just cut it. The ending is pretty good though, granted I imagine in real life all of the cops involved would have been fired for public endangerment.

Saw a great point on Twitter as to why Birds of Prey is struggling at the box office.

Harley Quinn's main fanbase is teenage girls and since they felt the need to make the movie Rated R, they can’t see it.

Caddyshack: 5.5/8

A movie I've seen parts of all the time throughout my life, though when I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the entire thing all the way through in one sitting. And I'd certainly never watched the R-rated non-tv version. It's another one of those movies where I wish I had seen it younger in life. it's certainly funny, with iconic moments, but I'd also argue comedies have also evolved over the last 40 years. What's funny then isn't always as funny now, and vice versa.

Roman J Israel, Esq: 5.25/8

About a year and a half ago I scored a deal on 4 digital movies for like $3 or something. This movie was part of that quartet and I finally gave it a shot. Denzel Washington plays a criminal defense lawyer in LA who, while they never come out and say, is clearly some kind of high-functioning Autistic Savant. He's always the smartest in the room but lacks tact and often sticks his foot in his mouth. He reminds you of a less annoying Sheldon Cooper for Big Ban Theory fans. Sheldon on the show has Aspbergers.

Anyways, I ended up enjoying this. Something happens mid-movie that causes Roman to have a change in how he views the law, and he has what I guess you could call a bit of a mid-life crisis. Colin Ferrell turns in a very good supporting performance in support of Denzel’s Oscar nominated performance. This was also the movie where I realized Tony Plana and Christoph Waltz are two different people. I'm sure this wasn't the first movie I mixed them up.

A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood: 6/8

Tom Hanks absolutely nails this role. I quite enjoyed the movie overall though it's not exactly what you may expect. My wife is a big Mr. Rogers fan and was really looking forward to this, and she did not enjoy it at all. She actually gave up about half way through and I had to make her finish it. The movie is very much about the writer covering Rogers than Rogers himself. You could say I guess the movie is about the impact Rogers had on those around him. Always good to see Enrico Colantoni pop up on my screen.

Last edited: