YSU Football HC Replacing Pelini

that was for one year, saying they are a top 20 program nationally, year over year is a wild exaggeration. they also have some great advantages within the region. going to be a whole different ballgame to recruit on a nationwide scale. its tough to say he was the best coach for the job, Tress wanted one of his guys he could have some rule over after dealing with Bo.

Fair enough. I'm sure he has a plan and it was shared with the hiring committee. He was not necessarily the popular choice when he took the Hoban job, either, but the program is better for him having been here the past seven years. Good luck to YSU football, whoever gets the job.

Last edited:
If the Tyrell news is true then it’s definitely a great thing Walsh Jesuit has decided to start using Vouchers.

75% of YSU's listed roster are from Ohio, Michigan and PA. Not sure he needs to do much nationwide recruiting lol

Tress was successful getting some guys from Florida, obviously the base of the team is going to be pretty regional. I'd imagine the 25% from out of state make a pretty big impact. Justus Reed far and away the best player already said he's transferring. I think its gonna be a tough sell for kids.

Tress was successful getting some guys from Florida, obviously the base of the team is going to be pretty regional. I'd imagine the 25% from out of state make a pretty big impact. Justus Reed far and away the best player already said he's transferring. I think its gonna be a tough sell for kids.

Okay. That still isn't nationwide recruiting. And it isn't going to be any different of a tough sale than it previously was for kids outside the region. It's still a middling FCS program in northern Ohio.

Last edited:
getting kids from Florida isn't national? Rivers was from North Carolina, Moss was from AZ I think. The best players that come through here aren't from the area.

You're talking about individual kids from individual states - no that is not nationwide recruiting. Nationwide recruiting is what Ohio State does where only 30-40% of the roster is from your region.

You're talking about individual kids from individual states - no that is not nationwide recruiting. Nationwide recruiting is what Ohio State does where only 30-40% of the roster is from your region.

its Youngstown State the majority of the team is always going to be from the region, getting IMPACT kids (even if its a handful) from outside the state is going to be a hard sell in my opinion and YSU needs that to win in the MVC.

its Youngstown State the majority of the team is always going to be from the region,

That is correct. That is still not nationwide recruiting.

getting IMPACT kids (even if its a handful) from outside the state is going to be a hard sell in my opinion and YSU needs that to win in the MVC.

YSU has always done this - grabbed a few kids from outside the region. With Tressel as President and obviously having a hand in football there is no reason to think it will change. It's not like Tressel is going to hire Tyrell and say "welp, good luck figuring out how to recruit outside the area!" Not to mention being at a school like Hoban and sending kids all over the country, I'm sure Tyrell has connections across the country to lean on when he needs it.

i think since we are talking about Youngstown State some things are kind of assumed, but yeah if you gotta point out that YSU and OSU are going to recruit on different levels right on brother

That isn't what I said. It isn't my fault you don't know what nationwide recruiting is but please don't make things up just because you got called out.

That isn't what I said. It isn't my fault you don't know what nationwide recruiting is but please don't make things up just because you got called out.

Hey man i just don't think a HS guy is the right hire here. if you wanna nitpick the "nationwide recruiting" comment please do. i'm not saying they are going to all the sudden develop a pipeline from Texas, Cali and Florida. I'd imagine he still has some ties in Florida hopefully that can be helpful to get a guy or two here and there. Bulk of the roster is always going to be from the region and they are going to need some guys from OOS to be any good. If the team was notified today and Justus Reed (from FL) announced hes transferring, thats not a great look in my opinion. He came here to play for Pelini so I don't blame him. I don't see that caliber player transferring here anymore.

If YSU hires a HS football coach, they are a true dumpster fire. Tyrrell is about as qualified to be a YSU head coach as Freddie Kitchens was to be a Browns NFL head coach. Give me a break. Go with Treadwell or James Madison Coordinator for gods sake or be the laughing stalk of college football.
Don Treadwell was an unmitigated disaster at Miami. No way he should've ever been considered. Montgomery though better when he was at Miami wasn't very good either. I can understand concerns about Tyrell and being a High School coach but Montgomery and especially Treadwell are not the answer in my opinion.

Don Treadwell was an unmitigated disaster at Miami. No way he should've ever been considered. Montgomery though better when he was at Miami wasn't very good either. I can understand concerns about Tyrell and being a High School coach but Montgomery and especially Treadwell are not the answer in my opinion.

agree on DT seems like being a Tressel guy was his best quality which is what is concerning about the whole list. Would’ve been nice to see Zordich get some deeper consideration

Hey man i just don't think a HS guy is the right hire here. if you wanna nitpick the "nationwide recruiting" comment please do. i'm not saying they are going to all the sudden develop a pipeline from Texas, Cali and Florida. I'd imagine he still has some ties in Florida hopefully that can be helpful to get a guy or two here and there. Bulk of the roster is always going to be from the region and they are going to need some guys from OOS to be any good. If the team was notified today and Justus Reed (from FL) announced hes transferring, thats not a great look in my opinion. He came here to play for Pelini so I don't blame him. I don't see that caliber player transferring here anymore.
Is Reed on the Blutarsky college plan? His YSU bio says he was at Florida from 2014-2016. His eligibility has to be done.

Is Reed on the Blutarsky college plan? His YSU bio says he was at Florida from 2014-2016. His eligibility has to be done.

lol I don’t know the math behind it but I believe he has 1 year left, I do know he had a bad injury (Achilles I think) early in practice first year here

You need a guy who can get after it in recruiting. Somebody local coaches trust that will steer the borderline FBS kid to stay home. That was huge for JT. Also need a guy who can attract great young assistant coaches that will work their butts off for 2-4 years here before moving on, and then that HC needs to be able to bring in another crop just as hungry. JT did great with that too.

YSU still has trophies to show and recent playoff success to sell. The program is not that far away. This is a big hire though. I really hope they get it right.

Interesting hire if it is Tyrrel, certainly outside of the box. As with any decision that is outside of the box, there will be those thinking the sky is falling and others that are optimistic.

Interesting hire if it is Tyrrel, certainly outside of the box. As with any decision that is outside of the box, there will be those thinking the sky is falling and others that are optimistic.
I won’t be upset if he surrounds himself with quality assistants.

You need a guy who can get after it in recruiting. Somebody local coaches trust that will steer the borderline FBS kid to stay home. That was huge for JT. Also need a guy who can attract great young assistant coaches that will work their butts off for 2-4 years here before moving on, and then that HC needs to be able to bring in another crop just as hungry. JT did great with that too.

YSU still has trophies to show and recent playoff success to sell. The program is not that far away. This is a big hire though. I really hope they get it right.
People forget that tress was great at keeping borderline kids home. He had several big time players play for the penguins. I can think of a few running backs that were absolute studs. Patton, Mays, smith and brown.

On top of all this, trying to put together a competent staff who work for a h.s. coach should be interesting. Pelinis staff wasn’t competent.

What they need is someone to recruit juco and div 1 transfers, the athlete coming out of high school is not as valuable as someone that has experience.

It's certainly not the traditional track to be a college coach, but it's not a novel track. Plenty of successful college and NFL coaches got their starts in high school football. Hell, if he attracts some of his Hoban kids, he'll be off to a good start,