Elder Enrollment Strategy

ElderHSfan02

Since every single thread gets hijacked with 100s of back and forth posts about Elder's enrollment and how to increase enrollment, I started a new thread for this topic. With this new thread in place, hopefully, it can save every other topic from turning into a debate on feeders vs. non-feeders, etc.

I'll toss the bait in. With Elder's core feeder schools shrinking, where is Elder going to get the students to maintain enrollment or increase enrollment? How do they go about getting more CPS students, more eastside students, and more White Oak/Colerain/Harrison areas?

1) The leaders of the school and whatever Board they have need to get behind it 100% - that's not just talk, it's budget, resources, enthusiasm, and communication/transparency.

Without that, nothing else can get done. So if that's not present, it's pointless to try.

I will also say, if the Archdiocese is putting restrictions on what Elder can do, that needs to be transparent, so at least people can understand lack of momentum.

If the admin is trying, but getting stonewalled by the mob, then the masses should know and be able to act accordingly.

I will also say, if the Archdiocese is putting restrictions on what Elder can do, that needs to be transparent, so at least people can understand lack of momentum.

If the admin is trying, but getting stonewalled by the mob, then the masses should know and be able to act accordingly.

From personal experience, that is tough to do and puts one in a precarious position.

Like how? Do you mean it's hard for the leaders to do that for fear of losing their jobs? I can see that.

But at the same time, something has to give. If that is the reality, I'd have a hard time sending my kid to a school that controls employees in that way. That's not a positive environment to work, teach, and lead in. Eventually, you have to have some principles in life and push back on limiting practices.

1) The leaders of the school and whatever Board they have need to get behind it 100% - that's not just talk, it's budget, resources, enthusiasm, and communication/transparency.

Without that, nothing else can get done. So if that's not present, it's pointless to try.

100% budget. Cost is really high. They need to continue to make tuition affordable. They also need to get the word out to outsiders that Elder has funds available to make tuition affordable for all. I know admin has said they want every kid who wants to go to Elder be able to afford to attend Elder. Money will not be an obstacle for a student to attend Elder, but families need to know that information.

Like how? Do you mean it's hard for the leaders to do that for fear of losing their jobs? I can see that.

But at the same time, something has to give. If that is the reality, I'd have a hard time sending my kid to a school that controls employees in that way. That's not a positive environment to work, teach, and lead in. Eventually, you have to have some principles in life and push back on limiting practices.

Bolded above, yes.

So just keeping increasing tuition because everyone else does even when your enrollment continues to drop.

Another fantastic strategy.

Enrollment is dropping because people don't see the value matching the cost. More Economics 101

There's a reason people are willing to pay $15k to send their kids to St X with an enrollment of 1.500+

So just keeping increasing tuition because everyone else does even when your enrollment continues to drop.

Another fantastic strategy. It's unreal.

Enrollment is dropping because people don't see the value matching the cost. More Economics 101

There's a reason people are willing to pay $15k to send their kids to St X with an enrollment of 1.500+
Lol. Has their enrollment risen at the same rate as competitors? What is their net tuition after aid?

What differentiates Elder in the market? What do they do better than anyone else that draws kids in?

And I will even accept "football" as an answer. There's nothing wrong with that.

But it's not academics and it's not overall athletics.

St X - obviously academics and diverse offering of learning
Moe - all-around athletics (yeah I know football isn't what it used to be, but everything else is top notch) - also a much larger base of wealth which open doors
Elder - has hung their hat on tradition, pride, and community - younger families don't have as strong of a connection to that and it's not tangible enough for a $12k price-tage
LaSalle - not really sure other than proximity and free money, perhaps someone can chime in
WH - free and outstanding academically
Roger Bacon - diversity, individual attention, and cost
Cov Cath - athletics and cost
Taylor - free, new, proximity to many new houses where a ton of westsiders live, sports opportunity

Last edited:
Since every single thread gets hijacked with 100s of back and forth posts about Elder's enrollment and how to increase enrollment, I started a new thread for this topic. With this new thread in place, hopefully, it can save every other topic from turning into a debate on feeders vs. non-feeders, etc.

I'll toss the bait in. With Elder's core feeder schools shrinking, where is Elder going to get the students to maintain enrollment or increase enrollment? How do they go about getting more CPS students, more eastside students, and more White Oak/Colerain/Harrison areas?
This is probably years overdue lol good idea!

Lol. I like how you listed Elder in the most negative light possible.

Elder obviously offers a high value honors program; successful big stage D1 athletic programs; affordable tuition base with generous aid available; strong emphasis on work ethic; conservative catholic values; and strong west side traditional values.

Elder obviously offers a high value honors program; successful big stage D1 athletic programs; affordable tuition base with generous aid available; strong emphasis on work ethic; conservative catholic values; and strong west side traditional values.

Every GCL school offers this. I said what DIFFERENTIATES them in the market? Big difference.

To put another way, if you brought in 1,000 students from another state and no ties to Elder, how many would pick Elder out of 1,000? What I'm saying isn't negative, it's true. They get their base from tradition and legacy. If that is gone (or dwindling, which it is), what would differentiate them?

Every GCL school offers this. I said what DIFFERENTIATES them in the market? Big difference.

To put another way, if you brought in 1,000 students from another state and no ties to Elder, how many would pick Elder out of 1,000? What I'm saying isn't negative, it's true. They get their base from tradition and legacy. If that is gone (or dwindling, which it is), what would differentiate them?
Lol, no they don’t.

Didn't Elder start a technical skills program? Was it this year or next year?

What GCL school doesn't offer what what you posted above, besides maybe the west side traditional value, which I had already called out with tradition and legacy?

They all have honors programs, they all have big stage athletics, they all have servicable financial aid, they all expect hard work, and they're all Catholic. LOL

I know you'd never admit, in fact, you it's pretty evident you're not even cognizant of it, but you've been getting owned on this topic for the better part of 2 weeks. You might want to just stick to the LOLs

Tuition amount will continue to rise, possibly level off for a yr or 2 then rise again. How would they go about cutting Tuition price down? Teachers,Support Staff,Security,Eliminate Part Timers if they have any? Lower Tuition definitely needed and sounds great but how should they go about it is biggest question in my mind.

What GCL school doesn't offer what what you posted above, besides maybe the west side traditional value, which I had already called out with tradition and legacy?

They all have honors programs, they all have big stage athletics, they all have servicable financial aid, they all expect hard work, and they're all Catholic. LOL

I know you'd never admit, in fact, you it's pretty evident you're not even cognizant of it, but you've been getting owned on this topic for the better part of 2 weeks. You might want to just stick to the LOLs
I like how Elder’s tradition and legacy don’t count as a differentiator because you magically said it doesn’t count for anything.

Only X can match the tradition. Only Lasalle really stresses the blue collar work ethic angle. X’s tuition is $5k more; Moeller is higher and honors program isn’t as highly regarded; Lasalle doesn’t offer D1 football and doesn’t have an honors program on Elder’s level. Diversity is a wash between the schools to be honest, however it appears all 3 recruit minority athletes at a greater rate than Elder.

Last edited:
Tuition amount will continue to rise, possibly level off for a yr or 2 then rise again. How would they go about cutting Tuition price down? Teachers,Support Staff,Security,Eliminate Part Timers if they have any? Lower Tuition definitely needed and sounds great but how should they go about it is biggest question in my mind.
Without impacting the quality of the education or offering all the additional offseason services and programs he wants, he has no clue.

I like how Elder’s tradition and legacy don’t count as a differentiator because you magically said it doesn’t count for anything.

Only X can match the tradition. Only Lasalle really stresses the blue collar work ethic angle. X’s tuition is $5k more; Moeller is higher and honors program isn’t as highly regarded; Lasalle doesn’t offer D1 football and doesn’t have an honors program on Elder’s level. Diversity is a wash between the schools to be honest, however it appears all 3 recruit minority athletes at a greater rate than Elder.

What are you talking about? In my response to you asking about everyone's differentiator, that's exactly what I wrote as Elder's differentiator. You've got some major issues.