Western Reserve coach on leave. Accused of vaping THC in bathroom.

Crazy how wildly varied perceptions of weed are, not just across the country, state by state, but in each local community. Obviously trending to be treated same as alcohol or cigarettes - which I agree with. Just like the gambling issue Ohio always seems to lag behind others.

Not defending the coach and we do need to safeguard schools and protect minors, I already agreed he should be fired or suspended, just making an observation.

Fwiw, medical mj is still banned where I work. If the doctor prescribes it and says it would help me I am supposed to say no thanks give me oxy or vicodin, lol. Insane imo.

Actually the Union does not have a leg to stand on. The ODE and the OEA (or what ever state organization that the teachers belong) follow Federal Laws due to some funding coming from the Federal government. As now the use of THC is outlawed at the Federal level, so schools must follow that. I just had to sit through and in service that this was one of the subjects covered.
Not that I would agree with it, but I've got a feeling that there could possibly be some kind of back-room deal, and legal slight-of-hand maneuver that will somehow allow Hake to keep coaching, albeit under some kind of probation/last-chance-provision, or something of the sort.

It certainly seems like the community loves him, despite his abrasive nature and unconventional ways.

Because he wins:

11 years at the school.
103-25 (80% win rate).
9 times in the playoffs.
2-time regional champs at 13-1.
7-3 as his worst record.

Not that I would agree with it, but I've got a feeling that there could possibly be some kind of back-room deal, and legal slight-of-hand maneuver that will somehow allow Hake to keep coaching, albeit under some kind of probation/last-chance-provision, or something of the sort.

It certainly seems like the community loves him, despite his abrasive nature and unconventional ways.

Because he wins:

11 years at the school.
103-25 (80% win rate).
9 times in the playoffs.
2-time regional champs at 13-1.
7-3 as his worst record.
As someone who loves HS Football, I pray this does not happen. If he gets a 2nd chance as a QB coach or the like, so be it. But if WR lets him continue to be the HC?!?!?! They would become the ultimate "root against" team in the state. And that's not fair to the kids in any way.

As someone who loves HS Football, I pray this does not happen. If he gets a 2nd chance as a QB coach or the like, so be it. But if WR lets him continue to be the HC?!?!?! They would become the ultimate "root against" team in the state. And that's not fair to the kids in any way.
He should lose teaching job as well.... unreal he thought that behavior is acceptable

People can say all they want, at the end of the day, the guy is smoked. No way a school like Berlin Western Reserve keeps him. I don't care how many games he won. They will get a good coach with all their success.

I think the fact he hasn't been fired already speaks volumes to the inaccountability of the school district. This is cut and dry unless you have no spine and no moral compass.
Or it speaks to something called Due Process. The school district would be foolish to comment until the process is complete. Make no mistake. This guy is smoked.

What's wrong with a little weed?

file.png

Who's going to be the next guy in-line for his coaching job? Hopefully they contact some named guys:
Kopachy (My First Choice)
Stevens
Borhen
Armini
Hulea
McSuley
Assian
Polumbo
Kemp
Shaner
Conrad
King
Vivo
Brungard
Altimore
Someone on the current staff

There are a lot of good named people out there. Hopefully they can find someone to keep the program going.

Or it speaks to something called Due Process. The school district would be foolish to comment until the process is complete. Make no mistake. This guy is smoked.
Due Process doesn't take weeks in a case like this. He admitted to a felony and then supervised children intoxicated. Why was he not arrested? He should have been paraded out the door in cuffs to make your statement. If CPS would have been called to a house and they found parents vaping THC while supervising children, children would have been taken immediately and the adults arrested immediately.

I don't think you quite understand what due process is. He should have been fired and arrested on the spot. He would have his chance to appeal his termination and prove his innocence in court, that is due process.

The next school board meeting at Berlin Center Western Reserve is Monday, February 10th.

Expect a decision of some sort then.

Who's going to be the next guy in-line for his coaching job? Hopefully they contact some named guys:
Kopachy (My First Choice)
Stevens
Borhen
Armini
Hulea
McSuley
Assian
Polumbo
Kemp
Shaner
Conrad
King
Vivo
Brungard
Altimore
Someone on the current staff

There are a lot of good named people out there. Hopefully they can find someone to keep the program going.

A few of these guys are currently head coaches already. Shaner, Altimore and Hulea come to mind immediately as guys that already have head jobs. I'd throw out Dota, Dempster and Wolfe at Columbiana too. All have been head coaches. Can't see Brungard leaving Springfield while his sons are still playing.

I'd assume it'll be someone on staff, or someone who has a history teaching license. I have no clue what/if any of these guys teach.

Due Process doesn't take weeks in a case like this. He admitted to a felony and then supervised children intoxicated. Why was he not arrested? He should have been paraded out the door in cuffs to make your statement. If CPS would have been called to a house and they found parents vaping THC while supervising children, children would have been taken immediately and the adults arrested immediately.

I don't think you quite understand what due process is. He should have been fired and arrested on the spot. He would have his chance to appeal his termination and prove his innocence in court, that is due process.

I dont think vaping THC is a felony.

THC is still a Schedule 1 narcotic.

2925.11 Possession of controlled substances.

(A) No person shall knowingly obtain, possess, or use a controlled substance or a controlled substance analog.

(C) Whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of one of the following:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(3)(b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) of this section, possession of marihuana is a minor misdemeanor.

THC is a schedule 1 narcotic in Ohio and possession of could be a felony, depending on what form and extraction method, etc. The big thing I am getting from all this is there was a strong smell of marijuana coming from the bathroom. Vaping doesn't smell, so my gut tells me he was probably actually smoking a joint and the school thought "vaping" sounded less damaging and ran with that. There are a lot of holes in the story snd at this point no one involved looks good. Hake admitted to getting high at school, the school is dragging it's feet on discipline, probably hoping it blows over a bit. This guy should of been gone within a day or two of the incident. End of story.

Regardless if what form the drug was in, they should have arrested him, not have an employee drive him home since he was intoxicated. They should have hit him with multiple charges such as child endangerment, possession of the THC, and possession of paraphernalia at the very least. I'd probably throw in contributing to the delinquency of minor also since it was at school. If he is too intoxicated to drive himself home, then he is too intoxicated to be in charge of children.

Again, I'm sure if it were a student, they'd be arrested. They probably would have arrested any other adult too and thrown the book at them while making it VERY public that this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

This entire situation is embarrassing to say the least.

Due Process I am speaking about is within the school system. They have stated an investigation, I’m sure there is a union process for any discipline. It can take over a year to go thru the entire process of firing a teacher so while this process may be already going, the BOE will not be speaking publicly about it as it would set them up for a potential law suit. As far as the fuzz is concerned I have no idea why they wouldn’t have charged him that day but that letter says the school notified them so that’s on the police department.

Due Process I am speaking about is within the school system. They have stated an investigation, I’m sure there is a union process for any discipline. It can take over a year to go thru the entire process of firing a teacher so while this process may be already going, the BOE will not be speaking publicly about it as it would set them up for a potential law suit. As far as the fuzz is concerned I have no idea why they wouldn’t have charged him that day but that letter says the school notified them so that’s on the police department.
Those year long union processes you speak of are for minor things. If you physically or sexually assault a child, fired immediately. If you use drugs on campus, fired immediately. Of course there are investigations to ensure that any and all allegations are true, but he admitted to it and they have physical evidence. Case Closed. Dismissed. Once again, this is the administration and BOE not having a spine.

What would the BOE be sued for? Speaking publicly about a crime that a public employee publicly admitted to, where his publicly available discipline letter was already made public to the media? They can definitely speak on the matter, they are legally allowed to state facts and can also state their opinions. The coach can go ahead and sue if he wanted and he'd lose or the case would get thrown out.

Regardless if what form the drug was in, they should have arrested him, not have an employee drive him home since he was intoxicated. They should have hit him with multiple charges such as child endangerment, possession of the THC, and possession of paraphernalia at the very least. I'd probably throw in contributing to the delinquency of minor also since it was at school. If he is too intoxicated to drive himself home, then he is too intoxicated to be in charge of children.

Again, I'm sure if it were a student, they'd be arrested. They probably would have arrested any other adult too and thrown the book at them while making it VERY public that this type of behavior won't be tolerated.

This entire situation is embarrassing to say the least.
I agree 1000%

A few of these guys are currently head coaches already. Shaner, Altimore and Hulea come to mind immediately as guys that already have head jobs. I'd throw out Dota, Dempster and Wolfe at Columbiana too. All have been head coaches. Can't see Brungard leaving Springfield while his sons are still playing.

I'd assume it'll be someone on staff, or someone who has a history teaching license. I have no clue what/if any of these guys teach.
Would never hire Shaner or any other recycled candidate. Guys would have to have multiple playoff appearances or their resume would get tossed if I were them. Hulea sounds interesting but last time he was relevant was like 2003-2004. Undoubtedly a very good coach though. Kopachy coming back sounds like a made for TV movie. I wonder if any of those guys on that list can be connected to Saunders or McGlynn(the admins mentioned in letter)...seems like it’s who you know that is the key to getting these jobs.