Kerry Coombs back to OSU

When Fickell leaves UC in the next few years for a better opportunity, Kerry will return to Cincinnati and be the head coach at UC for the next 10+ years.

I am not so sure about that. I think Marcus Freeman gets the UC gig when Fickell leaves and Coombs will stay at tOSU; he picks up a nice check and doesn't have the stress and headaches that comes with the big seat. He could easily be the next Larry Johnson if his DB room stays strong.

I am not so sure about that. I think Marcus Freeman gets the UC gig when Fickell leaves and Coombs will stay at tOSU; he picks up a nice check and doesn't have the stress and headaches that comes with the big seat. He could easily be the next Larry Johnson if his DB room stays strong.

This makes the most sense to me.

Do you think that OSU has gotten every kid they have targeted over the last 20 years?
Every kid? Of course not. And it won't regardless of Coombs. But, having said this, the school sells itself and will get top of the line talent like it has. If everyone wants to get giddy about his coaching, I'm good. Knock yourselves silly.

Last edited:
Every kid? Of course not. And it won't regardless of Coombs. But, having said this, the school sells itself and will get top of the line talent like it has. If everyone wants to get giddy about his coaching, I'm good. Knock yourselves silly.

But sustaining the recruiting is what's important. "THE", is definately a brand and you're correct, to an extent, it recruits itself. But you act like they should say, "well, the recruits out there know our success with developing DB's we don't have to make any effort anymore....let THEM come to US."

It's not like that.

But sustaining the recruiting is what's important. "THE", is definately a brand and you're correct, to an extent, it recruits itself. But you act like they should say, "well, the recruits out there know our success with developing DB's we don't have to make any effort anymore....let THEM come to US."

It's not like that.

It takes more than just saying The Ohio State University if you want to get 5 Star recruits from Florida and Texas.

I have to think Coombs would love to be the HC at UC.

Coombs is probably the best defensive backs position coach in the country and his knowledge of Xs and Os is exceptional. Good luck throwing the ball on Ohio State the next few years.

I like Freeman, but he is not a Cincinnati guy (yes I know he is from Dayton). My point is to stop the coaching carousel at UC. In order for that to happen, they must find someone who wants to STAY in Cincinnati and not use the job simply to move on to a bigger opportunity. Kerry fits IMO.