13. Jackson Center
14. Trimble
15. South Central
16. Antwerp
17. Peebles
18. Malvern
19. Grandview Heights (1)
20. Old Fort

Norwalk St. Paul still getting 4 first place votes after losing to Calvert. I think the teams tied at 7th are going to be tough to deal with. Don't know much about New Boston or Zanesville. Thoughts?

Last edited:

The division 4 poll always cracks me up! I just don't get what the writers think and do. They use ZERO knowledge about the teams in the poll.

I am sure my thoughts will make people upset, but I am using the last 5-10 years as a reference point.

My thoughts:
1. New Boston is NOT THE BEST D4 team---no team in SE Ohio is the best
- They can't compete with the best of the best on a regular basis--see hiland score last year.
2. Richmond Hts 7th isn't right
- I know they have 4 losses but they are the best NE ohio team by 10-15 points.
- State Semi team from last year and they have 2-3 new recruits--
3. NW Ohio is well represented
- DSJ, St. Paul, Toledo Christian, Columbus Grove are all very good--I would say Grove is my favorite to get out--return almost everyone from last years team.
- MAC teams got sent north this year so there is a great chance you could have 2 teams from the MAC in the 4 regional spots
4. Grandview Hts and Jackson Center not in the top 10 is an awful take
- Grandview Hts was in the d3 regional last year and brings back almost everyone
- Jackson Center was in the regional final last year and brings back the majority of their roster including there 6'4 stud

I just wish people used common sense on these polls instead of homering your team in your area.

MaxPreps D4 Top 20

1. Columbus Grove 9-0
2. St. Paul (Norwalk) 9-1
3. St. John's (Delphos) 10-1
4. Antwerp 10-0
5. Jackson Center 10-1
6. Old Fort 10-1
7. McDonald 10-1
8. Lucas 10-0
9. South Central (Greenwich) 10-2
10. Calvert (Tiffin) 7-2
11. Glenwood (New Boston) 13-0
12. Open Door Christian (Elyria) 8-1
13. Malvern 9-1
14. Mogadore 7-2
15. St. Joseph Central Catholic (Fremont) 9-2
16. Fort Loramie 8-3
17. Bishop Rosecrans (Zanesville) 10-0
18. Richmond Heights 8-4
19. Fort Recovery 8-3
20. Dalton 9-4

This one appears to be slightly more accurate.

Last edited:
MaxPreps D4 Top 20

1. Columbus Grove 9-0
2. St. Paul (Norwalk) 9-1
3. St. John's (Delphos) 10-2
4. Antwerp 10-0
5. Jackson Center 10-1
6. Old Fort 10-1
7. McDonald 10-1
8. Lucas 10-0
9. South Central (Greenwich) 10-2
10. Calvert (Tiffin) 7-2
11. Glenwood (New Boston) 13-0
12. Open Door Christian (Elyria) 8-1
13. Malvern 9-1
14. Mogadore 7-2
15. St. Joseph Central Catholic (Fremont) 9-2
16. Fort Loramie 8-3
17. Bishop Rosecrans (Zanesville) 10-0
18. Richmond Heights 8-4
19. Fort Recovery 8-3
20. Dalton 9-4

This one appears to be slightly more accurate.

I would agree with this one more. Although Richmond Hts being at 18 isnt very accuracte, but as far taking strength of schedule into consideration this is better.

The max preps rankin's is ok,Del.St.Johns is 10-1 just lost to D2 power house Lima Shawnee,the top 5 they got I like with Columbus Grove as my favorite,my Hawks no where to be found which is ok,gave Malvern there only loss and also beat Fort Loramie on a neutral floor, on a two game skid as of now, lost to a couple good D3 schools, and with a one loss D2 Triway coming in tonight, Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans there schedule is kind of weak,with only Harvest Prep twice they will probably end up 20-2,NB Glenwood is probably a better than last year, but they don't play anyone outside of the southeast district,they should pickup some tougher no league teams and there record is actually 11-1

The max preps rankin's is ok,Del.St.Johns is 10-1 just lost to D2 power house Lima Shawnee,the top 5 they got I like with Columbus Grove as my favorite,my Hawks no where to be found which is ok,gave Malvern there only loss and also beat Fort Loramie on a neutral floor, on a two game skid as of now, lost to a couple good D3 schools, and with a one loss D2 Triway coming in tonight, Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans there schedule is kind of weak,with only Harvest Prep twice they will probably end up 20-2,NB Glenwood is probably a better than last year, but they don't play anyone outside of the southeast district,they should pickup some tougher no league teams and there record is actually 11-1
Have to agree with hhawks. New Boston will lose at most 1 more game probably finish 1st or 2nd in State Poll. They do not play anybody outside of Southeast District. They have primarily D4 schools on the schedule. They have a great chance to get to Regionals and then will be see that their schedule does not help them. New Boston loss was to Southeast D4 school Peebles.

DSJ is 10-1. Lost at a loaded Lima Shawnee team.
Columbus Grove was moved to the Elida District this year with DSJ and Ottoville.

Ada, Columbus Grove, Continental, Crestview(Convoy), Fort Jennings, Kalida, Leipsic, Lincolnview, Miller City, Ottoville, Pandora-Gilboa, Patrick Henry, St. John’s

DSJ is 10-1. Lost at a loaded Lima Shawnee team.
Columbus Grove was moved to the Elida District this year with DSJ and Ottoville.

Ada, Columbus Grove, Continental, Crestview(Convoy), Fort Jennings, Kalida, Leipsic, Lincolnview, Miller City, Ottoville, Pandora-Gilboa, Patrick Henry, St. John’s

That district is absolutely loaded! Columbus Grove, DSJ, Kalida, Leipsic, Ottoville---holy smokes!

Hey Blue Jay Fan,I know Convoy Crestview lost alot from last year's state champs team, but I didn't think they would be 4-8 as of now,with the OSU commit Etzler back,they must not have much to go with him,I have watch them on YouTube a couple of games

Hey Blue Jay Fan,I know Convoy Crestview lost alot from last year's state champs team, but I didn't think they would be 4-8 as of now,with the OSU commit Etzler back,they must not have much to go with him,I have watch them on YouTube a couple of games

The older Etzler graduated and I think they lost a bunch of seniors who were 3-4 year starters. I don't think Crestview fans thought they'd be 4-8 either.

Etzler was hurt to start the year and hasn’t exactly been lighting it up since he’s been back.

The older Etzler graduated and I think they lost a bunch of seniors who were 3-4 year starters. I don't think Crestview fans thought they'd be 4-8 either.
Can you give me a little run down on the Blue Jay's this season, sounds like they might have a special team this season.

Prep Hoops Ohio has it:

1. Richmond Heights
2. Columbus Grove
3. Toledo Christian
4. Delphos St. John's
5. Grandview Heights
6. Jackson Center
7. Hiland
8. Fort Loramie
9. Old Fort
10. Antwerp
11. Columbus Wellington School
12. Tiffin Calvert
13. Norwalk St. Paul
14. Ottoville
15. Minster
16. Norwalk St. Paul
17. Cincinnati Christian
18. Fremont St. Joseph

Not sure on a couple of those but better than AP or Max Preps in my opinion. Interesting that neither New Boston or Zanesville Rosecrans is included.

Can you give me a little run down on the Blue Jay's this season, sounds like they might have a special team this season.

Eight deep, 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 1 sophomore. Decent size, 6'5, 6'4, 6'1 front line. Off the bench, 1 sr. 6'2, 2 jrs. 6'3, 6'1 but very slender builds. All five starters can handle the ball. Shooting well from 3's, 40%+. Play almost exclusively man defense. Tough schedule so far. If things pan out there is the potential the 'Jays 10-1 could face Versailles 13-0 late in the year for the MAC title.

The 'Jays will be a much different team next year. JV 'Jays, 6-4 record, 3 sophs and 8 freshmen. Two 6' freshmen, everyone else under six foot tall. Considering one of the MAC girls teams has a front line of 6'3, 6'2, 6'1, our JV team is short for the MAC. :)

http://www.delphosstjohns.org/BoysBasketball.aspx

Yes the MAC teams always has size and strength, anytime you can beat MAC team put a feather in your cap, because you don't beat MAC teams very often, especially any team outside of there league, that's why when my Hawks beat St.Henry in the state semi's last year, I think we felt like we had just won state title in that game

Prep Hoops Ohio has it:

1. Richmond Heights
2. Columbus Grove
3. Toledo Christian
4. Delphos St. John's
5. Grandview Heights
6. Jackson Center
7. Hiland
8. Fort Loramie
9. Old Fort
10. Antwerp
11. Columbus Wellington School
12. Tiffin Calvert
13. Norwalk St. Paul
14. Ottoville
15. Minster
16. Norwalk St. Paul
17. Cincinnati Christian
18. Fremont St. Joseph

Not sure on a couple of those but better than AP or Max Preps in my opinion. Interesting that neither New Boston or Zanesville Rosecrans is included.
Or LUCAS, the team the OP is affiliated with I believe. Over the years I have found a good computer power ranking to be much more accurate than a human poll. That said, MAXPREPS is missing too much data to make as accurate rankings as a couple other systems do.

Or LUCAS, the team the OP is affiliated with I believe. Over the years I have found a good computer power ranking to be much more accurate than a human poll. That said, MAXPREPS is missing too much data to make as accurate rankings as a couple other systems do.
Ya, I agree, Lucas should be on this list. 10-0 is 10-0. They have beat D4 AP #5 (at the time) South Central and Prep Hoops D3 #8 (at the time) Northmor, both by double digits. They are winning by an average of 20 points per game and all 10 wins have been by double digits.

I'm not sure how much people paid attention, but to answer the question the long way, two years ago, Crestview had six seniors and a loaded Junior class that lost to Pandora Gilboa in the Regional Finals. PG was the better team that night, but Crestview was playing with one senior out, their junior point guard had a bum ankle, their power forward had a broken hand, and the older Etzler got hurt early in that game before coming back. Not to make excuses, but they were very good. Last year, they had a nice streak of luck in the sectionals and went on to be a one loss state champion with that loaded junior class (then seniors....8 of them). So they graduated 14 kids from a regional final and state champion team the past two years.

That brings us to this year. Crestview returned two lettermen (One of which was Etzler and the other was Carson Kreischer who is our second leading scorer). Kreischer seen very spotty time last year and Etzler who is a phenomenal player draws a box and 1 or double teams every trip down the floor. Teams also take pride in making him work for a shot and fouling him hard. Hes a double double guy (16 and 10) this year but has very little around him. We start at least one freshman per game (sometimes 2) and play multiple guys that have been career JV players I don't want to take anything away from these guys. They were behind some great players and just lack experience. We have also seen the best in the area. Grove, St. Johns, Bluffton, Arlington, Fort Recovery and a few other scrappy teams.

Crestview's expectations are tempered. However, I will say this. I'm not sure anyone will want to see us in sectionals, as we do have an Ohio State commit and we are getting better. Did we expect 4-8? No. Do we expect to be close to .500 at the end of the season? Absolutely.

Was just looking at Convoy Crestview remaining schedule on Davey 1, looks like there's probably two of the ten games left that might have trouble with,Wayne Trace and Hicksville

It just kills me....lots of great games and tough matchups in NW Ohio.....last year Tiffin Calvert and Old Fort combined for 30 regular season wins and was a sectional semi-final matchup...and then you have Central/SW Ohio where there may not be even a decent game until the district final or regional play.

Was just looking at Convoy Crestview remaining schedule on Davey 1, looks like there's probably two of the ten games left that might have trouble with,Wayne Trace and Hicksville

Last night DSJ lost to Coldwater 59-45.
Crestview lost to Delphos Jefferson 50-41.

Lucas won two more over the weekend including a road win at 9-3 D2 Ontario. The Cubs now stand 12-0.

Coldwater basketball is generally not very good. However, conference foes are always challenging.

Didn't Coldwater beat #1 Archbold (23-1 record), #8 Ottawa Glandorf (20-4) and Willard (21-4) to make the D3 regional final last year? Not sure how you would say that is "generally not good".

Last edited:
Didn't Coldwater beat #1 Archbold (23-1 record), #8 Ottawa Glandorf (20-4) and Willard (21-4) to make the D3 regional final last year? Not sure how you would say that is "generally not good".
Because historically they are not usually near the top of the league.