Elder Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regional champs - sky is the limit for this squad. They haven't even come close to hitting their stride yet.

Can they win games against good teams when they aren't hitting shots? Other than that, they look good, and getting better. Exciting basketball style and execution is back at the Pit.

Very smart players across the board as well.

Regional champs - sky is the limit for this squad. They haven't even come close to hitting their stride yet.

Can they win games against good teams when they aren't hitting shots? Other than that, they look good, and getting better. Exciting basketball style and execution is back at the Pit.

Very smart players across the board as well.

Welcome to the bandwagon!

Always been high on the sports programs, coaches and players. My issue is with the entitled fans and legacy contingent that feel they're entitled to things for just showing up, and the admin enabling it.

For what it's worth, there hasn't been much to complain about. It seems they are starting to recognize that playing and picking the best kids makes for a better result. It should have happened years ago. For that, I give them credit for changing.

Underclassmen on and contributing on varsity, and freshman on and contributing on JV. It's great to see. It will elevate success now and long-term. They've short-changed themselves in the past for trying to appease the contingent. They should never do that.

Last edited:
Pump the breaks a bit. They still need to get an established Post presence. Hopefully, Larkins can fill that role, but he needs time to get into b-ball shape. If this team gets hot shooting, they’re very dangerous, but the opposite is also true. I’m not trying to be a pessimist, bc I like what I see, I’m just cautioning everyone not to get too far ahead of themselves. It’s still very early, but no doubt, there’s a lot of potential

Pump the breaks a bit. They still need to get an established Post presence. Hopefully, Larkins can fill that role
What about Kandra? He carried them late last year in quite a few games including the playoffs. He is enormous down low, has a soft touch, and makes free throws?

Kandra and Luebbe will make an already very good and deep bench even better and deeper.

The key will be the staff picking who of the role players can contribute at the appropriate times. Every player on the roster can play, and sometimes it will require a sacrifice in minutes for the sake of the team, because there's no way they can have a rotation of 11-12 guys every game. If they try to do that, that's a recipe for disaster.

If everyone is on board with team success, they can do some damage deep into the tournament.

Last edited:
What about Kandra? He carried them late last year in quite a few games including the playoffs. He is enormous down low, has a soft touch, and makes free throws?

He’ll help defensively, but Larkins should be their go to scorer in the Post.

Really big weekend coming up. They’ve got Central Catholic from Toledo tomorrow night and Walsh Jesuit from Akron Saturday. Both teams are currently 3-1.

E up 32-29 at half. FT shooting is an issue tonight, hopefully they can get back on track. Based on the style of play, I’m guessing they’ll be going to the line a lot more in the 2nd half.

Really big weekend coming up. They’ve got Central Catholic from Toledo tomorrow night and Walsh Jesuit from Akron Saturday. Both teams are currently 3-1.

Looks like Walsh Jesuit Lost 42-40 at X. Vote for Willard Cluxton for WLWT Prime Time Performer of the week!

E down 24-12 at half. They look extremely sluggish to start out. Turnovers, shots falling short, slow closing out on Defense.

E wins 50-42. Harp went off for 21, really busted the game open hitting 4 straight 3s in the 4th Qtr. Walker was big on Defense when Elder went to the Press.

overall, a decent win. E showed they could come from behind and win when they don’t play their best game.

Still really want them to work the ball into Larkins more. They need someone who can score in the Post, especially if the shots aren’t falling.

The struggle was real today. They seemed in slow motion in the first half but I will say Walsh defended really well. Elder dominated the 2nd half and got a few bounces to go their way as well. Win and move on. I think you play this game in February Elder wins by 20+. Were still not banging on all cylinders. It will come, this team can still make a deep run.

Establish the post? Yes, some of these guards need to learn still that when you pass it inside, it often comes out and you are wide open. They don't even look in!! Coaching hopefully will address this. Or maybe they dont have it in the game plan?

The struggle was real today. They seemed in slow motion in the first half but I will say Walsh defended really well. Elder dominated the 2nd half and got a few bounces to go their way as well. Win and move on. I think you play this game in February Elder wins by 20+. Were still not banging on all cylinders. It will come, this team can still make a deep run.

Establish the post? Yes, some of these guards need to learn still that when you pass it inside, it often comes out and you are wide open. They don't even look in!! Coaching hopefully will address this. Or maybe they dont have it in the game plan?
I can’t imagine the staff thinks they can just chuck up 3s all yr and be successful. Larkins did have 26 pts earlier this yr, they just need to make more of a conscious effort to get him the ball down low.

They have one guy that can score in the post and everyone else can shoot the ball. Yet you'd like their offensive strategy to start in the post? They run a motion offense to get guys looks. They don't throw it into the post (consistently), and really haven't for a long, long time. It's not going to start anytime soon. Their strength is their shooting, their motion, and their pressure defense getting them layups and transition threes.

Larkins will get some post touches, but it's not going to run through him consistently.

So to answer your question, yes, I would imagine the staff will put up with the team shooting a bunch of threes. In saying all that, Larkins is a very important player on both ends of the court.

Also, FT shooting has to get better from this past weekend. They can’t fall back into this bad habit from last yr. It makes no sense that you have so many great 3 Pt Shooters that struggle from the line. That’s something that should get better with constant repetition.

E loses 46-43. I don’t much about the game except E had 29 pts after the 3rd Qtr. It’s probably safe to assume they didn’t shoot the ball well early (like Badin) and the offense stalled. This is why I keep hammering the importance of committing to getting the ball to Larkins in the Post. It’s almost a month into the season, GCL play starts next Friday, so they really need to get their Post play worked out.

Difference in the game was Turpins size. Probably blocked 10+ Elder shots. Elder had zero post presence on offense. Elder went up 5 with less than 2 minutes and then melted down the stretch. Soft. Missed free throws and turnovers.

Positives tonight were Luebbe and Keehan who hit big shots. Miller also plays with a fire lacking in some.

I continue to believe Kandra is greatly missed. This game will cost Elder seeding come time for the tournament. Turpin is a good team and will likely only lose a couple games and be a 5 seed. Elder is looking like a 500 team and will be a 10-12 seed again.

Last edited:
Difference in the game was Turpins size. Probably blocked 10+ Elder shots. Elder had zero post presence on offense. Elder went up 5 with less than 2 minutes and then melted down the stretch. Soft. Missed free throws and turnovers.

Positives tonight were Luebbe and Keehan who hit big shots. Miller also plays with a fire lacking in some.

I continue to believe Kandra is greatly missed. Keller is also now out until late Feb with broken wrist which is significant. This game will cost Elder seeding come time for the tournament. Turpin is a good team and will likely only lose a couple games and be a 5 seed. Elder is looking like a 500 team at best and will be a 10-12 seed again.

Here we go with the soft talk again. I didn't see the game but I seriously doubt Elder played soft. Elder never plays soft. You're obviously taking a passive aggressive hit at someone. Sounds like you're calling out the post players.

Turpin is a good team and a legit top 5 team in the city. They have numerous quality guards and very good size. And you can also stop with the .500 talk. They're better than that. It was a 3 point game on the road against a good team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.