LSU vs Clemson National Title Game

Who wins?

• Total voters

I don’t think LSU’s D is going to limit Clemson’s offense more than OSU. 45-39 LSU

It will be interesting as Clemson had to pull out all the stops to beat OSU. The Buckeyes certainly did not anticipate Clemson running Lawrence like they did. I'm sure they planned on a play or two but not to the degree they actually did it. LSU will be prepped for that. I also do not believe LSU will be able to throw the ball all over Clemson like they did against Oklahoma. I hope Helaire is healthy.

I'm frankly shocked LSU is only a 3-4 point favorite in the early going. I think once the money comes in, it's going to be in the 5-7 point area. I don't see this game close at all. You have to score 40 or more to stay in the game with LSU. I thought OSU did a pretty good job on the Clemson offense, the Tigers just made some big plays in big situations. LSU's defense, IMO is much better than OSU's. As I said last week, Ohio State's defense was a little inflated due to playing slower big ten teams. Clemson has comparable speed to Ohio State, and it showed. Any big ten QB's going to out run the Buckeye secondary and linebackers?? Trever Lawrence did. Clemson's best receiver didn't play the first half, and was pretty much a non-factor.

I fully expect LSU's offense to have a field day with Clemson's defense. Once Dobbins got hurt, Ohio State's offense sputtered. Big props to him for coming back, but he wasn't as nearly as effective.

I think Ohio State exposed the Clemson Defense. Had Fields been fully mobile the Bucks Red Zone production would have been much higher. Dobbins hurting his ankle didn't help either. I thought Ohio State threw the ball well against Clemson and but for a broken off pass route would ikely have scored on their last possession.

I would submit that Burrow is actually a greater threat to run then a hobbled Fields and that the LSU passing attack is much better then the Buckeyes. And it looks like the #1 LSU RB will be healthy for the game and he's nearly as good a runner as Dobbins and IMO is an NFL caliber pass receiver out of the backfield.

I don't think Clemson is that good. Look at the mistakes Ohio State made and the poor officiating, and then consider that it took a blown play by Ohio State to lose the game. This has happened before where one of the teams in the final got lucky in the win to get them into the championship, and then they get blown out. I think that will happen here. Fields did not run much because of his injuries to his knee. I won't be surprised to see him have surgery. Burrow does not look to run first, but there were plenty of opportunities for Fields to run where he didn't. Burrow will take off and gauge Clemson's defense. I don't think that Clemson's defense is that good. Ohio State put up huge numbers against them, so LSU, whose offense is better, should have a field day. I know LSU will target the middle more. I don't know why Ohio State didn't because Clemson was giving it to them with all those blitzes. Based upon what I've seen watching LSU all year, they will hit it constantly. Clemson's safety is not that good. Ohio State should have been throwing deep down the middle on him all night. If Olave doesn't break off the route, he would have scored or the safety would have interfered with him because the one time Ohio State did it, they scored easily on the fourth and one play. LSU will terrorize that safety.

I don't think Clemson is that good. Look at the mistakes Ohio State made and the poor officiating, and then consider that it took a blown play by Ohio State to lose the game. This has happened before where one of the teams in the final got lucky in the win to get them into the championship, and then they get blown out. I think that will happen here. Fields did not run much because of his injuries to his knee. I won't be surprised to see him have surgery. Burrow does not look to run first, but there were plenty of opportunities for Fields to run where he didn't. Burrow will take off and gauge Clemson's defense. I don't think that Clemson's defense is that good. Ohio State put up huge numbers against them, so LSU, whose offense is better, should have a field day. I know LSU will target the middle more. I don't know why Ohio State didn't because Clemson was giving it to them with all those blitzes. Based upon what I've seen watching LSU all year, they will hit it constantly. Clemson's safety is not that good. Ohio State should have been throwing deep down the middle on him all night. If Olave doesn't break off the route, he would have scored or the safety would have interfered with him because the one time Ohio State did it, they scored easily on the fourth and one play. LSU will terrorize that safety.
IMO, a stud QB masks a lot of deficiencies. Lawrence is capable of keeping Clemson in this game.

Clemson just beat the best Ohio St. team in recent memory.
Clemson dominated the a very good Alabama team last year, when most thought the opposite was going to occur.

I predict the same this year against a "one of the all time best" of this year version LSU.

Clemson 35
LSU 24

Clemson just beat the best Ohio St. team in recent memory.
Clemson dominated the a very good Alabama team last year, when most thought the opposite was going to occur.

I predict the same this year against a "one of the all time best" of this year version LSU.

Clemson 35
LSU 24
Maybe Ed O can pick Harbut’s brain for some ideas, should only take a second

This game going to be televised in 4K resolution. Got to have Directv or Comcast to get it though.

Maybe Ed O can pick Harbut’s brain for some ideas, should only take a second

I think I was complimenting Ohio State.

It took a great Clemson team to beat them.

The SEC teams are generally overvalued, therefore I like Clemson.

The SEC teams are generally overvalued, therefore I like Clemson.

In the 5 CFP NC games until this year the SEC has won 2 and came in second 3 times.
They will add either another NC or a second place this year.
The bottoms of all conferences are mediocre, but stating the SEC is "overvalued" is ridiculous.
And, including this year, the SEC is the only conference to have 3 different teams in the CFP NC game.
The ACC and BIG10 are the only other conferences to get one team there.

And I am a very solid Buckeye and BIG10 fan (even ttun). But I can give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
One of the keys to the the south's dominance in NCAA football the past 20 years is the amount of $s they have increased in spending on football. Let's look at LSU & Clemson. LSU has a total of 20 varsity sports among all genders, Clemson 17 for all genders; there are High Schools that offer more sports than this. Additionally there are student "activity" fees which are used to supplement the athletic budget. Add in the fact that the SEC has the largest conference pay out per team when it comes to their media rights and you would think they might be able to find a few $s to fund a few more teams. Clemson use to have a swimming team but cancelled it because of lack of $s. On the flip side you have Stanford which has 20 women's sports alone, Ohio State 19 has women's teams. I guess an institution can do what ever it wants but this thing is becoming a regional sport with little room for growth outside of the South and pockets of the Midwest.

One of the keys to the the south's dominance in NCAA football the past 20 years is the amount of $s they have increased in spending on football. Let's look at LSU & Clemson. LSU has a total of 20 varsity sports among all genders, Clemson 17 for all genders; there are High Schools that offer more sports than this. Additionally there are student "activity" fees which are used to supplement the athletic budget. Add in the fact that the SEC has the largest conference pay out per team when it comes to their media rights and you would think they might be able to find a few $s to fund a few more teams. Clemson use to have a swimming team but cancelled it because of lack of $s. On the flip side you have Stanford which has 20 women's sports alone, Ohio State 19 has women's teams. I guess an institution can do what ever it wants but this thing is becoming a regional sport with little room for growth outside of the South and pockets of the Midwest.
Doesn’t hurt when you have the lowest academic standards allowed (excluding Vandy). If you’ve seen Last Chance U, you know how far behind academically those kids are, and it’s not a shock many of those kids end up transferring to SEC school.

Dabo is the best coach in the country, and Big O is decent and has a hell of a team, but his defense has collapsed at times. I predict a close game: Clemson 34-28!

Key matchup outside QBs, Clemson WRs vs LSU DBs. Particularly interested if LSU leaves Stingley one on one with Tee Higgins. LSU probably has Delpit cover Etienne out of the backfield.

I will watch because it is the NC game but I almost feel like the game has been forgotten with over two weeks off.
I am all for enough time so fans can secure tix and travel, but this year just seems different to me.

Maybe the great NFL playoffs has just made me get totally out of CFB mode.

For tonite….hoping LSU wins and 77 or more points scored so my lil 6 yr old nephew wins our contest!!!!!!!

The biggest mismatch is the LSU WRs vs the Clemson DBs. Assuming LSU spreads out Clemson, I don’t see how either of the Clemson Safeties can cover any LSU WR in Man. They could play 5 DBs and even drop Simmons in Cvg, but then LSU can run ball the with Edwards-Hellaire who is fully healthy.

That’s why I think LSU ultimately wins in a shootout. It should be a lot like that Chiefs vs Rams Monday Night game from last year.

I will watch because it is the NC game but I almost feel like the game has been forgotten with over two weeks off.
I am all for enough time so fans can secure tix and travel, but this year just seems different to me.

Maybe the great NFL playoffs has just made me get totally out of CFB mode.

For tonite….hoping LSU wins and 77 or more points scored so my lil 6 yr old nephew wins our contest!!!!!!!
Seems like over a month ago.

Seems like over a month ago.
yeah, it just seems so long ago. The break seems much longer than in the past but i think it is about the same...maybe just seems longer.

Remember one year it was on NYE for the semi's...which was a bad idea from the start!