GWOC 19-20

Trotwood is still loaded. Carl Blanton is a scoring machine. Sammy Anderson is a flat out competitor. They added a left handed smooth scorer/shooter Deuce Blake who transferred from NC. He is super skilled. All three are averaging double figures with Blanton leading the way. They are deep as well with Blanton’ little brother coming off bench. He maybe the most athletic on the team. They are still putting up a lot of points.

I think Big Cupps has accomplished as much as Staley at Centerville. Two regional finals and another regional appearance where lost to eventual state champs Wayne (who they beat earlier in the year). This in 7 years I believe. Fill me in on Staley's regional appearances.

The competition level is not comparable. I am not saying that Cupps is not good; He is.

Lot of talk on here about the other big dogs but not much on those Trotwood Rams... I have yet to see them this year but I heard they came out the gate a little sluggish after that championship football season but are starting to round into shape. I can't wait to see young Cupps vs. that pressure they put on you. That should be a delightful one. I still wonder why big Cupps get so much love for so little accomplished. Is it the hope of the Cville folks that he is really that good? Until he beats the man (Staley and his accomplishments) he is not the man. Trust me I am no fan of Staley but I think folks talking like Cupps is the best thing ever in the ville is kind of disrespectful. My thoughts...

Plus the man in that League at least for this last year is Rockhold. Love him or hate him... He got the paperwork to back it up. Heard the Rams are playing well in Louisville. Those type of games vs. top teams may lead them to lights out play in OHIO. Well see. #Ramnation

When a relentless, skilled, athletic defense, that has Trotwood’s mentality, picks up at 100, young point guards better be ready.

Cupps is good. He accepted one of the most established programs in Ohio. SW Ohio competition is not what it was.

Saw Trotwood lost a game 109-99 in Louisville a game where there was 62 combined fouls and Trotwood had to finish the game with 3 players
I had to go look this one up. The article I found said they were only dressing 9 players because of injuries, and had 6 players foul out during the game. Played the final 2:22 with 4 players... was down to 3 players for the final 7.5 seconds. Still scored 39 fourth quarter points.

The competition level is not comparable. I am not saying that Cupps is not good; He is.
Why would you say it’s not comparable? I don’t think Wayne and Trotwood ever got to the state until the Cupps years had begun. I think the competition is very similar. I will also say this, I don’t think any school in the area played the non league schedule that Centerville played last year, or this year for that matter. I really don’t remember the schedule Centerville played when Stanley was the coach. Centerville is lucky to have had them both.

Trotwood is still loaded. Carl Blanton is a scoring machine. Sammy Anderson is a flat out competitor. They added a left handed smooth scorer/shooter Deuce Blake who transferred from NC. He is super skilled. All three are averaging double figures with Blanton leading the way. They are deep as well with Blanton’ little brother coming off bench. He maybe the most athletic on the team. They are still putting up a lot of points.
Heard Blanton had like 35 and 45 in a couple of games in Kentucky vs. some great competition.... 45!! ouch! Watch out GWOC. Here they come #Ramnation.

I assume Blanton is healthy following the football scare?? Does anyone know what the final diagnosis was? It was pretty scary. God bless him.

It would be nice if Trotwood would post their team's stats to the GWOC website. I have no idea whose responsibility this is or if it is due to lingering resentment to the league, but it is not doing a favor to the players, fans, and others who want to see who their top players are. I would assume they would have leaders in most of the stats, but who knows. I do look forward to seeing the Elks vs Rams game in late January.
Trotwood and Springfield are notorious for not posting stats and have been that way for some time. It certainly doesn't help me provide any highlights or information about their players in game coverage.

Why would you say it’s not comparable? I don’t think Wayne and Trotwood ever got to the state until the Cupps years had begun. I think the competition is very similar. I will also say this, I don’t think any school in the area played the non league schedule that Centerville played last year, or this year for that matter. I really don’t remember the schedule Centerville played when Stanley was the coach. Centerville is lucky to have had them both.

Chris Wright never won a state championship, but I think they were pretty good. That is just one team. I am not saying that Cupps is not good.

When a relentless, skilled, athletic defense, that has Trotwood’s mentality, picks up at 100, young point guards better be ready.

Cupps is good. He accepted one of the most established programs in Ohio. SW Ohio competition is not what it was.
Centerville was 34-35 Jim's last 3 years. Directly as a result of playing his kid waaaaaaay too much. So not sure what you mean by established. And if competition was tougher back in the day, then Cville probably had better players then too by your reasoning. Cupps hasn't won by having the best players by far on his team. Staley won a lot of games because he had bigger and better players for most of the year, but couldn't coach them past equivalent teams come tourney time. (Same was true for football as well). I admit, my viewing doesn't cover his entire tenure. But Xs and Os wasn't his strength - in fact everyone in the gym knew what was coming. Also did a poor job of developing the size in the program then. Kavanaugh was very good but not because Staley coached him up.

Was Kavanaugh that good or just way bigger then everyone else? I know he played at UD but didn’t stand out there averaged 5ppg 3 rebounds for his career

I’m not a big Staley fan, but you sound stupid saying he couldn’t develop big guys. That was what he did best. Yes, Kavanaugh was 6’10, but he was a poor athlete by D1 standards. Without his development at Centerville he never would have been at UD. Like I said before, Centerville was lucky to have both Staley and Cupps. Stop comparing them.

Trotwood and Springfield are notorious for not posting stats and have been that way for some time. It certainly doesn't help me provide any highlights or information about their players in game coverage.
Why should they put up stats when they are being kicked out at the end of the year?

I’m not a big Staley fan, but you sound stupid saying he couldn’t develop big guys. That was what he did best. Yes, Kavanaugh was 6’10, but he was a poor athlete by D1 standards. Without his development at Centerville he never would have been at UD. Like I said before, Centerville was lucky to have both Staley and Cupps. Stop comparing them.
My opinion is just that, and I'm pretty well informed about basketball, not stupid. Yes, poor athlete by DI standards which is why he wasn't better in DI. All-state level as junior not reached as a senior so where was the development there? Not too many other big guys - actually cut quite a few with potential. And how good did the 7-footer get? Just plain awful was how good he got. Staley ran a system that got a lot of regular season wins when he had size gifted to him. And disclaimer, I'm not a Staley historian, just going on his last 6 or 7 years which is what I personally observed.

Also, only comparing to Staley when Cupps being dissed.

Merry Christmas to all!

I would agree here. Staley deserves respect as an Elks HOF coach. I remember watching Kavanaugh and thought he made himself a D1 player. He reminds me a little bit of Mo Nje now. Matt's offensive game was a little more advanced and Mo is a little more athletic. If Cupps stays after his kid graduates, he will go down as a HOF coach too. My guess is that Cupps jumps to the college level in 4 years. I do think Cupps seems to get more out of the kids every year. He has had some elite 8 runs without having elite 8 talent.

To the misinformed poster that said Trotwood never made it to state before Cupps arrived in Centerville, that's not true. Actually, a decade before Cupps arrived at Cville, Trotwood los to Canton Mckinley in the state final when Chris Wright was a senior. And, while you're trying to attribute Wayne's and Trotwood's success to Cupps, he is an excellent coach, but he has not achieved the success of Rockhold or Trice.

If you haven't seen Trotwood, they may be deeper than last year! They do have 8 varsity players back from last season's state championship team.

Lastly, who cares if they're posting stats if you want to know go see them.

To the misinformed poster that said Trotwood never made it to state before Cupps arrived in Centerville, that's not true. Actually, a decade before Cupps arrived at Cville, Trotwood los to Canton Mckinley in the state final when Chris Wright was a senior. And, while you're trying to attribute Wayne's and Trotwood's success to Cupps, he is an excellent coach, but he has not achieved the success of Rockhold or Trice.

If you haven't seen Trotwood, they may be deeper than last year! They do have 8 varsity players back from last season's state championship team.

Sorry, I must have missed people saying Trotwood and Wayne are successful because of Cupps. That doesn't make any sense. Please explain or repost the other comments. Thanks.

Here is the post. Trotwood has had plenty of success prior to Cupps years, People forget Mike Carter and his team led by Andre Hutson that made it to the regional before getting beat by Springfield North or the John Lumpkin lead team that lost to Elder, another regional squad. Or the 10 straight GMVC conference championship that Trotwood won under Staley and then Carter. The real reasons the MVL wanted no more parts of the Rams......

Anyway success has been there and it ain't got nothing to do with Cupps bringing the level of Coaching up??? Hopefully that is not what this post was leading too.

I think Cupps is a good coach that benefits from the fact the Cville football is down, so he is the man south of town. Simply has more of the spotlight. Staley had to share with Ullery and maybe Gregg for a few years? There was much less attention on Basketball at that time.

He(Cupps) has had some good teams and a lot of talent but I still think his accomplishments are on par with Staley during a much lesser competitive era. No disrespect. I think if Staley had these kids he would have done the same in this era, I think you get the same results. I am not a Staley fan at all but I think he does not get his due from the current crew. Sliced Bread theory!! It is simply my opinion and a few others but hey, it is what it is. Let's see what he does this year. Pretty loaded squad again from what I hear.

Last edited:
Here is the post. Trotwood has had plenty of success prior to Cupps years, People forget Mike Carter and his team led by Andre Hutson that made it to the regional before getting beat by Springfield North or the John Lumpkin lead team that lost to Elder, another regional squad. Or the 10 straight GMVC conference championship that Trotwood won under Staley and then Carter. The real reasons the MVL wanted no more parts of the Rams......

Anyway success has been there and it ain't got nothing to do with Cupps bringing the level of Coaching up??? Hopefully that is not what this post was leading too.

I think Cupps is a good coach that benefits from the fact the Cville football is down, so he is the man south of town. Simply has more of the spotlight. Staley had to share with Ullery and maybe Gregg for a few years? There was much less attention on Basketball at that time.

He(Cupps) has had some good teams and a lot of talent but I still think his accomplishments are on par with Staley during a much lesser competitive era. No disrespect. I think if Staley had these kids he would have done the same in this era, I think you get the same results. I am not a Staley fan at all but I think he does not get his due from the current crew. Sliced Bread theory!! It is simply my opinion and a few others but hey, it is what it is. Let's see what he does this year. Pretty loaded squad again from what I hear.

before Staley arrived Centerville was a football school. despite being one of the largest schools in the state, Centerville basketball was an embarrassment...talented basketball kids who lived south of town always went to Alter to play hoops. players like Rhoda, Spears and Kavanaugh stayed home and he built the Elks into a hoops power. in 2002 when the Elks had their best team ever and went to the regional finals for the first time in their history, the football team was 3-7...that team averaged 76 points per game and played in front of packed houses every game...Staley's downfall was playing his kid over much more talented teammates infuriating parents and fans alike and eventually leading to his dismissal after a hall of fame coaching career...Cupps has been awesome so far, but Centerville will be forever indebted to how Staley turned Centerville into a basketball school after years of ineptness

before Staley arrived Centerville was a football school. despite being one of the largest schools in the state, Centerville basketball was an embarrassment...talented basketball kids who lived south of town always went to Alter to play hoops. players like Rhoda, Spears and Kavanaugh stayed home and he built the Elks into a hoops power. in 2002 when the Elks had their best team ever and went to the regional finals for the first time in their history, the football team was 3-7...that team averaged 76 points per game and played in front of packed houses every game...Staley's downfall was playing his kid over much more talented teammates infuriating parents and fans alike and eventually leading to his dismissal after a hall of fame coaching career...Cupps has been awesome so far, but Centerville will be forever indebted to how Staley turned Centerville into a basketball school after years of ineptness
Mic drop... Your are 100% on point. Cupps is the now from what Staley built. Cville was a Friday night lights town and when he came basketball no longer played second fiddle. Most of these folks on here probably don't remember that and see Cupps with Bronny James and the gang and think "We got an awesome coach"!! And you do. But he picked up where Jimbo left off. Cville was nothing in bball until he arrived and yes his last few years with his kids in the mix he went astray but you cannot take anything away from how he built that program.

Mic drop... Your are 100% on point. Cupps is the now from what Staley built. Cville was a Friday night lights town and when he came basketball no longer played second fiddle. Most of these folks on here probably don't remember that and see Cupps with Bronny James and the gang and think "We got an awesome coach"!! And you do. But he picked up where Jimbo left off. Cville was nothing in bball until he arrived and yes his last few years with his kids in the mix he went astray but you cannot take anything away from how he built that program.
No doubt Jim built the program up from a bad place historically. Actually, Centerville is not loaded this year. Very young with nothing returning other than Big Mo. Only 40 points total from last year. So probably a lot of growing pains but will ramp up again going forward.

Well stated.

Its no big deal about the posting of the stats, but some do like to look at the player stats before attending a game. It is useful information, especially if one is not real familiar with the team. From an outsider looking at the program, the lack of posting stats to the league's website just shows sloppiness on the part of the athletic director/staff. In the case of Trotwood, I realize they have been booted out of the league and their athletic department likely has bitterness and does not care.

He worked for what he got.

He worked for what he got.

Agreed and like I said earlier until Cupps surpasses what Jim Staley accomplished, then it will be the program that Staley built. He got the keys to a Cadillac and it still is a Cadillac. When you get out the regional??? Then we will start talking about him as an upgrade.... For clarity I am not a fan of the Elks, Staley or Cupps. But respect is respect.

Agreed and like I said earlier until Cupps surpasses what Jim Staley accomplished, then it will be the program that Staley built. He got the keys to a Cadillac and it still is a Cadillac. When you get out the regional??? Then we will start talking about him as an upgrade.... For clarity I am not a fan of the Elks, Staley or Cupps. But respect is respect.
I can respect the number of wins, but I'll never be able to respect Staley the man. You want to draw the line at getting to state while at Centerville, then ok it's zero zero. Cupps did make it at Graham in loaded DII I believe. Losing in regional final or semi to eventual state champion isn't bad.

I can respect the number of wins, but I'll never be able to respect Staley the man. You want to draw the line at getting to state while at Centerville, then ok it's zero zero. Cupps did make it at Graham in loaded DII I believe. Losing in regional final or semi to eventual state champion isn't bad.
Hey I get that. But how you feel about him as a person is not the focus in this conversation. I just think the mindset that it appears that some have that Centerville was not any good until Cupps got there is disrespectful. I have heard that from many of folks that have no idea about the history of the program. Comment like: "He got this thing rolling", "We got us a next level coach" and "Cupps has gotten us where this program has never been".. Now granted most of these comments are from younger parents that may know nothing of Jim Staley but as a guy that has been around it just gets a little sour for an old WOL and GMVC guy. Just saying..

The only way centerville gets out of the regional is if moeller somehow shows up to the wrong gym. That said, they have a really good coach and he does a great job getting the best out of his personnel.