2019-2020 Bowl Game Discussion

EagleGuy

Many fans may be interested only in the major bowl games and the national playoff, however, I find some of the early "insignificant" bowls interesting, too.

Currently, Charlotte (local interest to me) is playing the MAC's Buffalo - in the Bahamas! Tonight, Kent State (dad's alma mater) takes on Utah State.

?

Last edited:

Some of the worst bowl games produce the most exciting football. Nothing better than a high scoring shootout on a baseball field in front of 7,000 fans on a Monday afternoon. Kent State-Utah State has been pretty good so far

Kent State is in northern Ohio; however the daily newspaper and electronic arm ( cleveland.com) has totally ignored the fact that they are in a bowl game. There are 13 articles about Ohio State and none on Kent, the local team. There is more coverage on THE than in Columbus. No other teams in the area are even mentioned on a weekly basis. BTW, Kent won for their first bowl victory in history. We'll probably see little or no mention of that.

Last edited:
Incredible 51-41 win for the Flashes. QB Dustin Crum, from Grafton Midview, was the best player on the field, even better than Utah State's Jordan Love, rated by some the 6th highest NFL QB draft prospect. First ever bowl win in school history. From 3-6 to 7-6 and bowl winners, it's quite a turnaround for 2nd year coach Sean Lewis, who at age 33 is the youngest head coach in the FBS. Hoping he stays a few more years, but won't begrudge him accepting a great offer..

I enjoyed watching Kent State get their 1st ever win in a bowl game 51-41. Probably was more exciting than a lot of the big games coming up.

Well, I was correct. A couple of paragraphs about the game buried in the middle of cleveland.com. Yet, on the front page, five full articles on Ohio State. Congrats, KSU. Too bad no one in Cleveland will read about it.

These lesser bowls are all about giving ESPN inventory over the holidays. They might as well play them at HS fields as the stands were empty. The only thing good this weekend is the Petersen Bowl tonight. Interesting how this game got set up.

Well, I was correct. A couple of paragraphs about the game buried in the middle of cleveland.com. Yet, on the front page, five full articles on Ohio State. Congrats, KSU. Too bad no one in Cleveland will read about it.
Media covers what sells. Many alumni of MAC schools just cheer for Ohio State and ignore their schools completely. So you shouldn't be surprised.

I watched it with my friend who went to Kent and my sister was watching her school from her place in NYC too. Many forget about their small school and just cheer for the power team solely in their stste

These lesser bowls are all about giving ESPN inventory over the holidays. They might as well play them at HS fields as the stands were empty. The only thing good this weekend is the Petersen Bowl tonight. Interesting how this game got set up.
There are quite a few good teams that got screwed in their bowl matchups this year (UC, SMU, App St to name a few) but the Boise State matchup is ridiculous. They put 12 win Bose State in the crappy Las Vegas Bowl against a bad Washington team simply for the Peterson retiring story. If Peterson doesn't announce his retirement a few weeks ago then this game never happens. Really dumb imo

There are quite a few good teams that got screwed in their bowl matchups this year (UC, SMU, App St to name a few) but the Boise State matchup is ridiculous. They put 12 win Bose State in the crappy Las Vegas Bowl against a bad Washington team simply for the Peterson retiring story. If Peterson doesn't announce his retirement a few weeks ago then this game never happens. Really dumb imo
How did SMU get screwed ? If you were trying to imply they got a bad team....well my school stomped them

And we dropped 52 with our starting RB, te and top 2 wrs not playing

Boise St. decides not to show up and gets pounded. You never know how these bowls play out.

I see a lot of celebrating on Twitter with Miami firing their OC. I haven’t followed Miami closely, but I look at their 3 QBs and I can’t help but think they’re missing the bigger picture. All 3 QBs suck, especially Martell. No
OC can reform the Offense enough to make them competent. One of them made one of the dumbest plays I’ve seen in a long time. He was scrambling as the half ended, and instead of just going down, he lateraled the ball backwards, and LA a Tech could’ve very easily returned that for a TD. Just total incompetent and stupid QB play.

The U falling on hard times couldn't happen to a better program. The Maction with EMU is in an entertaining game with Pitt.

The U falling on hard times couldn't happen to a better program. The Maction with EMU is in an entertaining game with Pitt.
Diaz might not be a good coach, but how much can you really do with those QBs? Also, I never understood the Tate Martell hype. Obviously, he was a phenomenal HS QB, but he doesn’t have the size or arm strength to play QB in the Power 5.

Incredible 51-41 win for the Flashes. QB Dustin Crum, from Grafton Midview, was the best player on the field, even better than Utah State's Jordan Love, rated by some the 6th highest NFL QB draft prospect. First ever bowl win in school history. From 3-6 to 7-6 and bowl winners, it's quite a turnaround for 2nd year coach Sean Lewis, who at age 33 is the youngest head coach in the FBS. Hoping he stays a few more years, but won't begrudge him accepting a great offer..

Looking at his track record he certainly doesn't stick around for long. Started his coaching career in 07 as OC for an Illinois HS and that was his longest stint (3 years). Not sure what Kent has returning but this is the type of season to springbroad into a bigger job.

So far UNC's Sam Howell is looking great against a very solid Temple defense, could be a team to watch in 2020 as they also had a top 20 recruiting class this year. While UNC is not on Clemson's level it will help the ACC to have someone else bust into the top 20. The Mack Brown hire is looking better and better and maybe going back to a veteran coach might be the way to go for a mid level Power 5 school instead of an unproven young guy that cannot handle the detail of this type of gig.

Penn State and Memphis is a good watch if you like no defense.
Notre Dame at 10-2 couldn’t get a better bowl matchup than 7-5 Iowa State?

Parsons is putting on a show for PSU. He is right their with Chase Young as the two best defensive players in college football. Would have been a Buckeye except for a trivial recruiting violation committed by OSU on a recruiting visit. Just imagine Parsons and Young on the same team.

Utah proving tonight just what a fraud the Pac-12 is. Hopefully, Wisconsin will thump Oregon tomorrow night and resolve any remaining doubt.