Investing thread for DR, $, ep, Bluth, main event, OBCF and others

The cattle industry is pretty wild, I admittedly know very little about it but the way they buy and hedge cattle on the market it is a really intricate business. I have a lot of respect for my boss because he built his company from the ground up as has stayed in business for so long especially when the markets were so volatile. That old man knows his sh1t.

What's cool about his deal is that he has all these ag businesses and he keeps paying himself throughout almost every stage of that cow's life, from the feed, grain corn, etc to sale barns, feed yards and just has it really going on.

Never really knew how much money was involved in that industry. And you need a lot to be involved in it and similar to any investing be ready to take losses

A guy I use to work with was a controller for a farmers co-op. Much like you say I couldn't believe it about the amount of money he said would flow through that place. It was definitely not little house in the prairie style where you buy a young cow, raise it, then march it on down to the slaughter house.

On a somewhat related note I found a couple years ago how a butcher can mess up a cow. I went half with a friend on a whole cow and we ended up with some horrible cuts of meat. We ended up getting everything replaced but I have never ate such bad steaks in my life.

What's cool about his deal is that he has all these ag businesses and he keeps paying himself throughout almost every stage of that cow's life, from the feed, grain corn, etc to sale barns, feed yards and just has it really going on.

vertical integration nice

Gentlemen about 6-10 years out from retirement sold to fixed positions in May. Decided today to get back into a 100% stock allocation. Thinks he timed it great, doesn't realize he missed on an ~20% rise in the market from May-late Jan.

Need MoeDude's advice on his slick on pump and dump schemes

In today’s day and age, if you think you’ve got an inside tip, there’s hundreds of other ppl with the same info. If you’re investing for fun, do whatever, but if you’re actually depending on $ from your investment, don’t screw around, just buy an index fund.

The cattle industry is pretty wild, I admittedly know very little about it but the way they buy and hedge cattle on the market it is a really intricate business. I have a lot of respect for my boss because he built his company from the ground up as has stayed in business for so long especially when the markets were so volatile. That old man knows his sh1t.

Never really knew how much money was involved in that industry. And you need a lot to be involved in it and similar to any investing be ready to take losses
Yet Hillary managed to clear $100K on her first investment in the futures. Right there and then, I knew she was full of BS.

I don't have a specific number, but I am expecting a major correction.

Stocks are overbought. This doesn't always lead to a selloff... However, the debt ceiling debate is coming up and Rand Paul and his band of merry men do not care if they wreck the economy. They are going to fillibuster for days and push the US to the brink of default with Obama and Reid already claiming they refuse to negotiate on the debt ceiling... It'll get ugly and it'll be enough to wake up the gophers to equities being too high. Congress is on a 5 week recess... They come back and have a month to get the debt ceiling passed.

I am shocked there hasn't been more media coverage... Only this past week have politic pundits started to point out that Rand Paul is a huge wildcard.
Market up nearly 100% since yappi’s resident made this call.

Last edited:
Wife is really into corporate sustainability with her job so we decided to jump in on the ground level of a company called TerraCycle before they go public. I don’t know a lot about it other than they recycle hard to recycle items. But she’s pretty jazzed about it, it’ll be interesting to see how it does.

Wife is really into corporate sustainability with her job so we decided to jump in on the ground level of a company called TerraCycle before they go public. I don’t know a lot about it other than they recycle hard to recycle items. But she’s pretty jazzed about it, it’ll be interesting to see how it does.
Have an uncle who used to be in the recycling/trash business in DC. He mentioned them a few years ago. If I remember correctly they use a lot of volunteers and community outreach programs to connect with big companies to handle their waste?

Have an uncle who used to be in the recycling/trash business in DC. He mentioned them a few years ago. If I remember correctly they use a lot of volunteers and community outreach programs to connect with big companies to handle their waste?

Yes, sir that is correct. They also do individual recycling and have a rewards system that is centered mostly around charity which I think was another draw for her.