VASJ Vikings Basketball 2019-20

People thought we were joking. The team needs leadership. Euclid played aggressive and deserved the win tonight.

People thought we were joking. The team needs leadership. Euclid played aggressive and deserved the win tonight.
That is your observation? Leadership? The coach told you about the supposed lack of leaders. There is something much bigger. Can you state what it is because it will take knowledge of the game and the balls/guts to make people uncomfortable with the truth.

Ho Lee ... Pretty shocked by this. Didn't think Euclid had much this year with Garvin transferring.

Euclid was clearly the better team and better coached. I’ve said this many times that once the talent pool drained further away from c/o 2015, that Babe wouldn’t be able to hide his coaching flaws behind once in a decade talent. There are reasons why we never beat St.Ed’s, consistently owned by Ignatius with the exception of a couple of seasons, and usually out smarted by Dru Joyce. It all stems from coaching. Same thing happened with Woj, he could never beat the Ed’s or the Iggy’s and get over that hump without good talent. I get it’s one game and time will be the judge, but I really feel this season will end at Lakeside this season.

VASJ took down John Adams 93-50 at the Great Lakes Classic over at Cleveland Hts earlier this afternoon. The Vikes play next at Shaw on the 3rd. 7:30 tip off

Euclid was clearly the better team and better coached. I’ve said this many times that once the talent pool drained further away from c/o 2015, that Babe wouldn’t be able to hide his coaching flaws behind once in a decade talent. There are reasons why we never beat St.Ed’s, consistently owned by Ignatius with the exception of a couple of seasons, and usually out smarted by Dru Joyce. It all stems from coaching. Same thing happened with Woj, he could never beat the Ed’s or the Iggy’s and get over that hump without good talent. I get it’s one game and time will be the judge, but I really feel this season will end at Lakeside this season.
The 2017 title team had 1 small school D1 guy and a bunch of neighborhood kids, so that blows up your theory that he cant coach. How much less DI talent do you want to see to demonstrate coaching? With that said, please explain to us with what those coaching "flaws" are, and since youre an expert, what YOU would have done differently last night against Euclid with the guys you had available.

Last edited:
Joe's will be OK. I think it might take a bit longer to figure it out then in years past - but that is OK. There is talent in the program - it's just young. I dont think it was coaching that cost VASJ the Euclid game but rather sloppy play, turnovers, defensive breakdowns and some clutch shooting from Euclid. We have been spoiled for 10 years in Viking Village with elite talent - that does not last forever. If many of the kids who transferred out would have stayed the Vikings would be one of the top teams in Ohio. It is what it is. The staff will figure things out as will the players. I'm not a fair weather fan. I support the team win or lose.

VASJ drops season opener to Euclid 75-80. This is VASJ’s first loss since December 2010 to the Panthers.

This was an absolute shocker. Euclid was a senior-laden team last year. Their only non-senior starter was their best player (Garvin Clarke), who transferred to Heights. TJ steps down. I expected Euclid to really struggle this year. Maybe they still will. But a win over VASJ is an impressive and unexpected start to the season. I plan to watch Mentor at Euclid this week. I'm curious to see how they are under the new coach and a completely new varsity roster.

The Vikings need to get more athletic on the defensive end. Also their bigs don’t produce much. Two guys take On most of the offensive load. I know Rodgers is fast but you have to stop that drive and dish.

The Vikings need to get more athletic on the defensive end. Also their bigs don’t produce much. Two guys take On most of the offensive load. I know Rodgers is fast but you have to stop that drive and dish.
This is probably the worst team we’ve had since 2008-09. A lot of youth, there will be a lot of growing pains this season

FINAL
Benedictine 89
VASJ 66

2nd straight blowout loss for the Vikings. Hameed of VASJ led all scorers with 41 tonight. Vikings travel to Akron on December 20 against Hoban

Everything felt much different yesterday night at the village.I never remember the Vikes looking this overmatched Besides the on court issues the student section was moved.The dance team and the young man who did spirit backflips the length of the court have been discontinued. And the A.D. seems like a patrol officer viewing the game from many different angles closely watching the crowd and students.The whole scene seemed off. Something is wrong as I heard complaints from the students and alumni as well.Hell they even had separate ticket tables 5 feet apart for VASJ and Benedictine. Strange for sure.

Everything felt much different yesterday night at the village.I never remember the Vikes looking this overmatched Besides the on court issues the student section was moved.The dance team and the young man who did spirit backflips the length of the court have been discontinued. And the A.D. seems like a patrol officer viewing the game from many different angles closely watching the crowd and students.The whole scene seemed off. Something is wrong as I heard complaints from the students and alumni as well.Hell they even had separate ticket tables 5 feet apart for VASJ and Benedictine. Strange for sure.

I actually like having the students behind the basket, the Euclid game setup was odd with the benches being flipped just for that game. The male cheerleader still did back flips for the Euclid game. But I agree this season is gonna be reminiscent of the 08-09 season

Word is after many complaints the student section is returning to it's old familiar area. The reason why the benches were swapped was to make the visiting team finish on the end where the students were. I agree it was weird seeing the Joe's bench moved. I think the AD is looking at everything and everyone. There is a new volleyball coach, girls basketball coach and he is making coaches accountable. He wants all the programs to be better.

He realizes that talent in several sports is lacking - and for the first time that includes boys basketball. This is the class that really suffered from transfers. The Vikings would have one of the top teams in Ohio had all the kids stayed. It is what it is. The Vikings had one hell of a historic run - now they are in a bit of a rebuild. When people said Joe's was lacking talent and leadership this year they were not joking. The kids need to figure it out and hopefully they will. They need to get tougher and do the little things better that teams in the past did. The Vikings will be back.

Word is after many complaints the student section is returning to it's old familiar area. The reason why the benches were swapped was to make the visiting team finish on the end where the students were. I agree it was weird seeing the Joe's bench moved. I think the AD is looking at everything and everyone. There is a new volleyball coach, girls basketball coach and he is making coaches accountable. He wants all the programs to be better.

He realizes that talent in several sports is lacking - and for the first time that includes boys basketball. This is the class that really suffered from transfers. The Vikings would have one of the top teams in Ohio had all the kids stayed. It is what it is. The Vikings had one hell of a historic run - now they are in a bit of a rebuild. When people said Joe's was lacking talent and leadership this year they were not joking. The kids need to figure it out and hopefully they will. They need to get tougher and do the little things better that teams in the past did. The Vikings will be back.
Arc referred an Irish supporter to you for input on the VASJ-Bene game and what going on this year with the Vikes.I told him you would be along to give your input on that thread.

Thanks for the INFO. If the AD is looking at everything and EVERYONE then that is a good thing. We all want more participation in all sports, activities and clubs. That is part of the LIFE BLOOD of any school. The AD should also look inward and not use the sentence "I DON'T CARE" when talking with any student, coach, etc. It is caring that builds any powerful team, school or business. Those words should never enter his consciousness. Also, wearing an Iggy/Xichigan tie is not a good look. We are JOES in case any of you forgot.

ST. JOE BASKETBALL does not need students/fans trying to distract a FT attempt in order to win. We have been winning for 40 years because of talent, preparation and coaching. I have plenty more to write about concerning BB. Now is not the proper time.

I will have to pay attention to the ties more. I know he had a kid at Iggy and one at Gilmour - but I agree you work at VASJ. I will tell you that between the two ADs they are at most sporting events - that is an improvement over the two ADs the school had. I have been to a few road boys and girls basketball games and have seen them present. I'm looking forward to getting to more games after being out of town a few times the last few weeks. There are a hand full of teams I would like see live this year. I know there are people and teams looking to pile on Joe's after all the success they have had the last 6 years or so - they just have to ride out the storm and keep trying to get better. There are just some things you have to be really good at when you lack talent and right now the kids are struggling with those things. When you lack the talent you have had in the past and you dont do those little difference making things you get what you have seen the last few weeks. After watching SVSM last night on TV I'm not sure anybody in D2 comes close to knocking off the Irish.

Vikings 48- Hoban 39 A strange season just got more strange. We always have a tough time in that gym no matter how good we are. Great win for the young and raw Vikes.And largely unexpected after the beatdown by Benedictine. Babe working some magic there. That's a fine defensive effort against any team even if they have a poor shooting night.Hope this springs us forward two steps for the rest of the season.(y)

Solid win Monday night against a scrappy Cornerstone Christian team. Took us a while but Hameed got going and the defense kicked in and we pulled away. Merry Christmas to Vikings4life,BBall216,MugnMaul 78, C'Town216, and anyone else who supports the VIKINGS!!!! HAIL RED& BLUE??‍♂️?‍♂️⛹️‍♂️?

Merry Christmas - Vikings turned a 2pt halftime deficit into a 3rd quarter comfortable lead. The young Vikings played much better in the second half - especially on defense.

Merry Christmas to everyone on Yappi that are fellow Vikings, wishing nothing but the best this holiday. Solid couple of wins to get back to above .500. VASJ travels Neosho Missouri and will take on Bentonville West tomorrow in the first game.