Central Buckeye Conference 2020

From the Alder perspective, great season with some disappointment on how the Hartley game played out. Losing the general of the offense at the start of the 2nd Qtr, left a lot of what if's or what could have been. It was a tough loss but getting to week 3 of the playoffs is still a solid year.

Alder loses some very good seniors in Proxmire, Morgan, Blain, Fenik, Keaton, Detweiler, Begin, Wheeler and Caldwell. They will be tough to replace.

Losing: RB, HB, 2 WR, 3 OL on offense & 1 DL, 3 LB's, Safety, Punter on Defense

Returning: QB, 2 OL, 1 WR, Kicker on offense & 3 DL, 1 LB, 2 CB's on Defense

Schedule remains the same for next year. Not on the road as much vs this past season with 6 home games. Varsity, JV and Freshman were a combined 23-2. There will be some big holes to fill on offense but I would predict they should be in the hunt again for the KT title. Still pretty thin on the Oline and DLine. Outside of the injury in the Regional title game, they were fortunate with being healthy for most of the season. Some questions will need to be answered at RB and LB.

Indian Lake is losing their ultra talented QB and top receiver amongst a plethora of other talent.

When the starting QB was out they were very weary of even attempting to pass so I don't think at there is anyone at the HS level who will be able to fill that position so I would project a few very lean seasons.

They open up with Anna (replaces Marion Pleasant) who is the finals but the Rockets lose 20+ seniors including their most talented players and their lower teams weren't very good but I believe they would still beat the Lake.

What's the mad river bring back? I gotta think North Union is the runaway favorite right now...NW is solid with carter but lost a few all state O and D lineman...Jacobs graduated from IL so from what I have read, there isn't much cookin there...Urbana is no bueno and struggling for numbers...Graham in the few games I watched had a very solid underclass and a Q that can chuck it....time will tell.

Alder I would give the ever so slightest of edge to. London will replace a few key athletes, but when you like up double tight and hammer the ball downhill you can stand graduation. We will find out if the Falcons are for real hosting West Liberty Salem wk 1 at home. Woulda loved to see a Graham v Greenon matchup. Two best small school Q's dueling in the warm weather would be great

Alder I would give the ever so slightest of edge to. London will replace a few key athletes, but when you like up double tight and hammer the ball downhill you can stand graduation. We will find out if the Falcons are for real hosting West Liberty Salem wk 1 at home. Woulda loved to see a Graham v Greenon matchup. Two best small school Q's dueling in the warm weather would be great
i actually heard it was a possibility for week 1, supposedly West Liberty is not renewing Graham, at least i heard on here. Greenon has two open weeks next year to start, i’m not sure what CBC schools have open weeks. i saw Graham will play Buckeye Valley in week 2.

Was told Bellefontaine picked up Coldwater in 2022-23.

IL plays Anna week one which replaces Marion Pleasant. Was told that the Rockets did not have much at the JV and below levels but it will be very difficult to replace Jacobs. Kid is on tough nut and put around some more talent and a better system he would have had monster numbers.

I heard people around the lake this fall criticize their QB and I was just befuddled. I have seen a lot of HS football the last 25 years, probably more than most, and that kid was a player. I would have taken in him my alma mater's offense in a heart beat and I guarantee he would have put up OPOY in the division type of numbers. Would it have been enough to win a title? Anna was pretty tough this year but it would have been a dogfight.

Last edited:
Was told Bellefontaine picked up Coldwater in 2022-23.

IL plays Anna week one which replaces Marion Pleasant. Was told that the Rockets did not have much at the JV and below levels but it will be very difficult to replace Jacobs. Kid is on tough nut and put around some more talent and a better system he would have had monster numbers.

Bellefontaine and Coldwater series is a good move for the Chiefs - can't wait to see this happen! Will be a great crowd and provide an early season gauge of the team's capability if Coldwater continues to stay at the level they have been at.

Bellefontaine and Coldwater series is a good move for the Chiefs - can't wait to see this happen! Will be a great crowd and provide an early season gauge of the team's capability if Coldwater continues to stay at the level they have been at.
CW's 8th grade has not been real strong in JH but then again the JH records in CW typically is not a great indicator of HS success in the past. There are times there are 60-70% participation rate at those levels and the coaches get enough PT for all the kids. The HS coach a couple of years ago at a welcome home thanked the JH coaches for one main thing (i thought he was going to say fundamentals, etc) but it wasn't. He thanked them for keeping the JH kids playing, having fun and keeping the numbers as robust as possible so when they get to HS he has as many kids as possible to build the team.

But that is enough about a game that is a number of years away.

I didn't get to see London play this year. I was impressed by their win vs CM last year and expected huge things from them this season. What do they have coming back at the skill positions and what possibly coming up?

Also, what CBC teams have FROSH teams? I feel that is a very important age to keep getting those kids game time reps each week. Some will use the 'chicken and the egg' analogy to this, but I feel not typically having a FROSH team runs a number of kids away between JH and HS. I believe kids at the JH level find themselves not wanting to have to go against SOPH/JR's on the JV squads and a FROSH team allows more kids to stick with the program and be a contributing factor on varsity, even if just ST as a SR.

What most people overlook is what the first team is going against in practice. They see the talent on Friday night, but don't see who they go against Mon-Thur with the scout teams. You can have a lot of kids going both ways, but you can still have solid kids on the scout team working their butts off to be the starter. The more kids you can keep out in a program the better chance you have of fielding competition in practice and a strong scout team. If resistance in practice is too easy that does not help one bit.

The early OOC record was better than recent memory for the big division and that should help MORE teams to become playoff eligible. 3 OOC games are HUGE and should give the CBC a leg up against many other leagues.

i actually heard it was a possibility for week 1, supposedly West Liberty is not renewing Graham, at least i heard on here. Greenon has two open weeks next year to start, i’m not sure what CBC schools have open weeks. i saw Graham will play Buckeye Valley in week 2.
I haven't heard this yet. I did see the Falcons schedule the Barons week 2. Should be a step up from Southeastern

Kenton Ridge had a freshman team for a few years back which happened to correspond with those classes being the teams that ran to the postseason for 3 years consecutive years. I don't really think that they or anyone else in the CBC has numbers to field a freshman team year in and year out however

Its amazing that these teams can't field a freshman team - Bellefontaine?? Alder has had to pick up teams all over Central Ohio for freshman games/JV games.....they've played WJ, Johnstown, Licking Valley, Covington, etc.

Its amazing that these teams can't field a freshman team - Bellefontaine?? Alder has had to pick up teams all over Central Ohio for freshman games/JV games.....they've played WJ, Johnstown, Licking Valley, Covington, etc.
I agree.
I dont even mind if a few SOPH's, who dont get much or any PT on the JV squad, play down on occasion to the FROSH team to fill out the roster a bit so they can get more games in so those FROSH get reps.

Kids get 50 QTRS a season to play so there is no reason why schools cannot make it work. I believe if they make a concerted effort to field a FROSH team they should see numbers steadily increase.

I agree with the sophomore thing - the problem is, I have seen a lot of abuse with that. It hasn't been just the not-as-talented ones going down to play, it's been some pretty good ones. Oh well. If a coach feels he needs to do that, than so be it.

Alder has been having a lot of freshman play JV and it gets them good experience. They also started five sophomores on varsity, so those kids have a head start as well.

I agree with the sophomore thing - the problem is, I have seen a lot of abuse with that. It hasn't been just the not-as-talented ones going down to play, it's been some pretty good ones. Oh well. If a coach feels he needs to do that, than so be it.

Alder has been having a lot of freshman play JV and it gets them good experience. They also started five sophomores on varsity, so those kids have a head start as well.
Will there be some abuse of it?

Absolutely.

We see coaches below the HS level all the time, across all sports, whom believe the true measure of their success is the numbers they put up when in reality it should be for the betterment of the program. Playing that talented SOPH on a FROSH team so they can get the win may look good on paper but doesn't help the program because it takes much needed reps for a FROSH. A talented SOPH should be able to get his 50 QTRS for the season on JV and Varsity. One should use the SOPH's who don't get many reps on JV. Kids mature at a different time and that SOPH who may play some FROSH may be of value as a JR/SR to a program if only for ST or as a rotating substitution but that would never happen if a kid quits.

Sadly, I think it comes down to finances and effort in some programs. Adding that FROSH team means more $$ and effort and unfortunately some places just may not want to deal with it.

Even if it is a limited freshman schedule where they play 4-5 games that is a start.

Some of these MR teams couldn't even field a full JV squad at points this season I heard as well. I'm all for FROSH teams in the mix but I also think some of these schools have a bigger fish to fry with a lack of JV games. That IMO is what hurts the quality of football in this area at times.

London and Jonathan Alder will be 1 and 2 for the next few years with London the favorite for 2020. Both schools have coaching, talent and numbers. Everyone else is playing for 3rd place in the Kenton Trail Division.

London and Jonathan Alder will be 1 and 2 for the next few years with London the favorite for 2020. Both schools have coaching, talent and numbers. Everyone else is playing for 3rd place in the Kenton Trail Division.

London gets Burns back from injury at RB and Alder returns both JT Keith and Jackson Izzard (and started at times five sophomores off a 12-1 team) so it should be interesting. ...I agree, there is a sizeable drop off in the KT after those two.

Bellefontaine should have some Freshmen games on the schedule this year. We had one every year until a few years ago and have still played some games since then when able..........Sometimes the issue has been lack of JV players when taking the Freshmen out of that group. We are hoping for enough Frosh to help stock both schedules. As someone said earlier, 50 quarters allows for some double duty.....

Maybe in 2020...slow down after that. The Chiefs are coming soon.