GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Geographically Fenwick is in a tough position. They would love the MVC, but it doesn’t work. With their enrollment dropping each year and the planning committee expecting a 18% decline in enrollment the next 5 years, I’m guessing they try to align with a revamped SWOC

Can't see the SWOC taking any private school.

I think given Carroll’s non league schedule, Cogan would like to leave the GCL also. In fact, I have heard that he privately has even admitted it. Too bad, the Coed GCL was a great League. From a basketball standpoint, and probably all sports, it made the schools better, tougher. The talent has always been fairly even, and you had to be mentally tough to beat anybody on the road. Fan support, especially student, was always great. All brought down by football and a few guys afraid of a challenge

I remember when we first joined (Fenwick) the GCL we couldn’t begin to compete in basketball and football. Look at how much tougher it made us.

Can't see the SWOC taking any private school.
I dont either. But Edgewood and Talawanda use to play in the MML with Carroll and Fenwick so it isnt unprecedented. And Badin plays/has played or will play Ross, Talawanda, Edgewood, and Northwest in football and the same group in basketball.

Back to basketball -
Opening weekend was 4-1 with the only loss being Carroll losing to Belmont. Badin beats CCS - who normally makes a strong run in D4. McNick crushes a bad Anderson team. CJ beats Beavercreek in the final seconds and Roger Bacon beats Winton Woods in OT.

League games already begin this week with Fenwick at PM on Tuesday and Carroll @ RB, CJ @ Badin, and Alter@ McNick on Friday.

I dont either. But Edgewood and Talawanda use to play in the MML with Carroll and Fenwick so it isnt unprecedented. And Badin plays/has played or will play Ross, Talawanda, Edgewood, and Northwest in football and the same group in basketball.

True, but I think the SWOC schools (especially Ross, Edgewood, and Talawanda) would look differently at playing someone non league versus having to compete with a private school for league titles.

Im going to make my bold predictions for the season

Badin
Fenwick
McNick
Purcell
Roger Bacon

I think player of the year will be Uhl from Alter. I heard Fenwick got a good transfer this year. Does anyone have any info on him?

True, but I think the SWOC schools (especially Ross, Edgewood, and Talawanda) would look differently at playing someone non league versus having to compete with a private school for league titles.
Schools in Western Pa have a mix of public’s and Catholic schools in all leagues and divisions. It wasn’t like that when I played but has been for a long time. It shouldn’t be a big deal but I understand change is difficult

Im going to make my bold predictions for the season

Badin
Fenwick
McNick
Purcell
Roger Bacon

I think player of the year will be Uhl from Alter. I heard Fenwick got a good transfer this year. Does anyone have any info on him?

McNick will be in the thick of it with CJ and Alter, but Alter should be favored with all they have back. Fenwick should be ahead of Badin. Depends on our new coach. It is going to be a battle.

Most impressive win last night was CJ edging Thurgood in OT 86-83. Heard it took a huge comeback from the Eagles.

Go to swohiosportsdaily.com for full reports on Badin and Fenwick boys basketball

Fenwick vs. Purcell Marian game story with photo gallery
Badin vs. Cincinnati Christian game story with photo gallery
Fenwick season preview with roster, schedule and scrimmage photo gallery
Badin season preview with roster, schedule and practice photo gallery

Annual subscription costs 16 cents a day
Monthly subscription costs 33 cents a day

Two great games last night:
Mcnick beats Alter 51-49 on a buzzer beater in OT. ( there are several videos on twitter of the buzzer beater.)
Badin runs out to a 27-12 halftime lead. CJ comes all the way back and takes the lead with under a minute only to have Badin pull it out in the last 30 seconds 50-47.
Also:
Carroll puts away RB 53-34
PM takes one on the chin from Lasalle 71-42

Two great games last night:
Mcnick beats Alter 51-49 on a buzzer beater in OT. ( there are several videos on twitter of the buzzer beater.)
Badin runs out to a 27-12 halftime lead. CJ comes all the way back and takes the lead with under a minute only to have Badin pull it out in the last 30 seconds 50-47.
Also:
Carroll puts away RB 53-34
PM takes one on the chin from Lasalle 71-42

It was 61-59 in OT. Anyways, I heard McNicholas embarrassed Alter on rebounds even though they have a couple of 6'8 kids.

It was 61-59 in OT. Anyways, I heard McNicholas embarrassed Alter on rebounds even though they have a couple of 6'8 kids.
Mcnick has some size. At least on the roster there are two kids listed at 6’6 and two at 6’4. Brunot is 6’2 but he can jump.

Last edited:
Mcnick has some size. At least on the roster there are two kids listed at 6’6 and two at 6’4. Brunot is 6’2 but he can jump.
Mcnick is pretty good across the board. No real weak spots and Brunot is a game changer. Will be interesting to see how they do on the road in the GCL

CJ will be a test, even if it is at NcNick. Two good teams. CJ’s bigs should be able to offset a Bruno. Guard play will decide the outcome.

With what I have seen so far, I think the GCL is going to be a battle this year. Any team could be a favorite, but going on the road to play is always tough in this league.
Mcnick is underrated and Carroll is playing tough. Would love to see RB make a run this year. Heard they have a 6'10" kid?

With what I have seen so far, I think the GCL is going to be a battle this year. Any team could be a favorite, but going on the road to play is always tough in this league.
Mcnick is underrated and Carroll is playing tough. Would love to see RB make a run this year. Heard they have a 6'10" kid?
I could see Badin making a run late in GCL play. Switzer kid is truly a class act. Saw him volunteering at a homeless shelter last saturday. Everyone I have talked to that knows him says he is a very nice kid.

Why didn’t Larkin play Tuesday against PM? Saw he wasn’t in the box score. He is really a solid player for Badin.

Bacon at Alter- Alter runs away with this one
Mcnick at CJ- Comes down to the final minutes and I like CJ squeaking one out at home
Badin at Fenwick- Kreke returns to his old stomping grounds as an assistant for the Rams. I believe Badin rolls in this one.
Purcell at Carroll- Purcell goes on the road in a tough environment and pulls off a huge GCL W.