State Championship Updates (Marion Local vs. Lucas)

Ty it seemed odd that ML has 320 students and only 113 boys.
ML might have a total of 320 students in the high school (but that seems high as very few ML classes have 80 - usually it’s 65-75). 113 boys in top three grades.

I would guess ML is one of the biggest D7 schools - definitely bigger than Lucas.

That's a pretty bold statement about a team playing in a state title game...
Agree. My concern all along is the Cubs offensive strength would play right into the teeth of Marion's strength, that is why they have abandoned the bread and butter for a bit to test what is on the outside. It seems to be an improvement. Gotta feel for the coaches in this one, but suspect they mentally prepared their team for a possible shift away from what got them here if Marion shut down their first and primary threat. I am impressed with how well they have moved the ball so far. Playing well above what I expected.

ML might have a total of 320 students in the high school (but that seems high as very few ML classes have 80 - usually it’s 65-75). 113 boys in top three grades.

I would guess ML is one of the biggest D7 schools - definitely bigger than Lucas.
ML has an enrollment of 105 and CB no. of 6 for a CB enrollment of 111.

Agree. My concern all along is the Cubs offensive strength would play right into the teeth of Marion's strength, that is why they have abandoned the bread and butter for a bit to test what is on the outside. It seems to be an improvement. Gotta feel for the coaches in this one, but suspect they mentally prepared their team for a possible shift away from what got them here if Marion shut down their first and primary threat. I am impressed with how well they have moved the ball so far. Playing well above what I expected.
If you are going to beat ML you are going to do it like Kirtland does by over powering the Flyers at the LOS.

ELMivWOWkAAllio.jpg

Lucas defensively taking opposite approach of Patrick Henry. PH tried taking away running game but was exposed to deep passes, Lucas appears to be trying to take ML's passing game away but the Flyers have been able to run on Lucas, which might open up a deep ball later.

This game is some what similar to the 15 game between Kirtland and ML. Flyers were ahead I believe 14 - 0 at half driving for another td early in 3rd qtr. but fumbled and after that was all Kirtland.

This game is some what similar to the 15 game between Kirtland and ML. Flyers were ahead I believe 14 - 0 at half driving for another td early in 3rd qtr. but fumbled and after that was all Kirtland.
My exaxt thought and a terrible call. He was pushed back 5 yards before the ball was out.

Lucas returns 2nd half kick to their own 36.
1-run 2 yards
2-run 1 yard
3- PENALTY illegal formation. PENALTY DECLINED loss of down
4-Punt to Marion Local 18, returned to Lucas 37.

Marion Local ball 10:17 to go in 3Q

Marion Local ball on Lucas 37

1-run 4 yards
2-pass INTERCEPTED at Lucas 4 yard line

Lucas takes over at their own 11.

Lucas ball on their own 11

1-run 3 yards
2-pass incomplete. PENALTY intentional grounding. Ball placed at their own 1 yard line.
3-run 1 yard
4-Punt to their own 38 yard line

TV Timeout.

8:50 3Q

Marion Local ball on Lucas 6

1-run 6 yards TOUCHDOWN

Marion Local- 21
Lucas- 0

5:21 left in 3Q

Odd that a smashmouth team is defending the pass well, but can’t stop a rushing attack.

Lucas returns kick to the endzone! TOUCHDOWN!

95 yard return to the house!

Marion Local- 21
Lucas- 7

4:50 to go in 3Q