Division VII State Championship: Marion Local (12-2) vs. Lucas (13-1)

Who wins?

• Marion Local by 15+

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Marion Local by 8-14

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lucas by 1-7

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Lucas by 8-14

• Lucas by 15+

• Total voters
I’m a Marion fan and I obviously want the Flyers to win. However, I think it’s great that Lucas has had such a stellar season and I hope the Cubs avoid any sense of intimidation, play really well, and give ML a heck of a game.

That said, I believe ML will be able to score because of their passing attack, and will get enough stops to eventually force Lucas out of their offensive game plan.

ML - 30
L - 12

So I am a huge Marion Local fan from across the state and have so much admiration for what they have been able to do. It's amazing. I am definitely rooting for the Flyers. To me they are everything a high school football program should be. Homegrown kids, community support, good in other sports, good in the classroom, etc. They literally have everything.

Having said that, I have also become very enamored with Lucas because of the double wing. In 2017 Lucas opened the season by defeating East Canton. My high school played East Canton later that year and the Lucas film led to us installing the double wing in 2018. For us, the double wing was a great equalizer. My school hasn't had a winning season since 2007 but running the double wing led us to a 5-5 record. We also completely dominated two of the games we lost (outgained opponents 658-377 in those games) because of multiple turnovers in the red zone. In all, 4 of our 5 losses came to playoff teams and we had a chance to win two of those games in the fourth quarter. We had more talent in maybe 2 of our 10 games.

In your post you mention that game comes down to can Lucas run the football and win the time of possession. Well, in my experience watching the double wing that is exactly what this offense does. In that Lucas video (which was awesome BTW) there is a line where the narrator says, "they just take anywhere from 3-8 yards a pop They just take your soul." Man, did that line ring true to me because I watched so many 14-15 play drives last year. I was often on the opposing sidelines because I take pictures at our games and I would watch the opposing coaches yelling at each other in frustration because they couldn't figure out how to stop the offense. There was no way to get penetration because there were no gaps. Our lineman lined up foot to foot and just created a wall of humanity. Unless you could just physically dominate our line we were getting a minimum of 3 yards a play and we would run the same play over and over and over again.

So what I am really enamored to see is how much of an equalizer is this at the highest level. Can Lucas hang with what we all agree is the most dominant football program in Ohio? Can Lucas put together 12-15 play drives and limit this game to 5-6 possessions for each team in the entire game? What is going to be the defensive game plan from Marion Local? How do they attack the double wing and if they can't completely dominate the Lucas' line physically do they have a scheme that stops this offense? Will the Marion Local offense have any rhythm if they go 7-8 minutes at a time without touching the ball?

I'm just really curious to see how this game plays out especially if Lucas isn't physically overwhelmed.
Thanks for all the kind words about Lucas. You raise some decent questions...

So I am a huge Marion Local fan from across the state and have so much admiration for what they have been able to do. It's amazing. I am definitely rooting for the Flyers. To me they are everything a high school football program should be. Homegrown kids, community support, good in other sports, good in the classroom, etc. They literally have everything.

Having said that, I have also become very enamored with Lucas because of the double wing. In 2017 Lucas opened the season by defeating East Canton. My high school played East Canton later that year and the Lucas film led to us installing the double wing in 2018. For us, the double wing was a great equalizer. My school hasn't had a winning season since 2007 but running the double wing led us to a 5-5 record. We also completely dominated two of the games we lost (outgained opponents 658-377 in those games) because of multiple turnovers in the red zone. In all, 4 of our 5 losses came to playoff teams and we had a chance to win two of those games in the fourth quarter. We had more talent in maybe 2 of our 10 games.

In your post you mention that game comes down to can Lucas run the football and win the time of possession. Well, in my experience watching the double wing that is exactly what this offense does. In that Lucas video (which was awesome BTW) there is a line where the narrator says, "they just take anywhere from 3-8 yards a pop They just take your soul." Man, did that line ring true to me because I watched so many 14-15 play drives last year. I was often on the opposing sidelines because I take pictures at our games and I would watch the opposing coaches yelling at each other in frustration because they couldn't figure out how to stop the offense. There was no way to get penetration because there were no gaps. Our lineman lined up foot to foot and just created a wall of humanity. Unless you could just physically dominate our line we were getting a minimum of 3 yards a play and we would run the same play over and over and over again.

So what I am really enamored to see is how much of an equalizer is this at the highest level. Can Lucas hang with what we all agree is the most dominant football program in Ohio? Can Lucas put together 12-15 play drives and limit this game to 5-6 possessions for each team in the entire game? What is going to be the defensive game plan from Marion Local? How do they attack the double wing and if they can't completely dominate the Lucas' line physically do they have a scheme that stops this offense? Will the Marion Local offense have any rhythm if they go 7-8 minutes at a time without touching the ball
Good post.

We played Lucas this season. I’ve had the pleasure to watch some really good small school ball over the years. In 2014, we played Kris Alge’s McComb– who is always one of the most well-prepared, physical and smart teams year in, year out in the D7 scene. This year we were obviously a much better team than that year we played the Panthers, and in my eyes 2019 Lucas plays quicker and more physical than your typical McComb team. They might be on par or just a few inches short of the level of dang grit and execution last years’ McComb team had, but dang Lucas has a really good squad. And their Double Wing has been enough to get them to Canton. There is another edge to the sword, though: it’s an offense that inherently poses risk toward fumbling the ball and it’s not a come-from-behind nor a “quick strike to equalize” style. Like I said earlier in this thread, Lucas goes as far in this game as their winning of the turnover battle goes. Their D is pretty good and against us they swarmed to the ball very well and played “read, commit to your read at the snap, no hesitation.” That’s how they played against Harvest Prep. That’s largely a product of great film prep during the week, good D-line play and smart linebackers. That’s enough to dominate a mediocre D7 like the team I followed, enough to persevere against better coached and more talented O’s (eg Cuyahoga Heights and Harvest Prep), but versus Marion Local they’re facing their toughest challenge all year. And that’s a testament to MSML and their program. MSML is a dang machine. But Lucas has the potential to grit it out and get the win, there’s just absolutely no room for error in any facet whatsoever. The MAC level of physicality and preparedness in state finals, it’s a beast. But if there’s a team who can rise to the challenge, it’s these Lucas Cubs. The ultimate question is if they can play their A+ game and hold it all together. Lose a fumble, and it could be enough to be kept at bay. Miss an assignment and keep getting exploited with the one narrow disadvantage at D (wherever it could come), and it could spell doom. Not at all a slight toward the Cubs— when you’re in the state finals it takes a state finals performance to win. And against Marion Local or any MAC Goliath on this stage, that margin for error is slimmer than the width of grass in between the Cubs’ big uglies up front on offense.

Good luck, Cubs. You have fans down here, and they believe in you guys.

Good post.

We played Lucas this season. I’ve had the pleasure to watch some really good small school ball over the years. In 2014, we played Kris Alge’s McComb– who is always one of the most well-prepared, physical and smart teams year in, year out in the D7 scene. This year we were obviously a much better team than that year we played the Panthers, and in my eyes 2019 Lucas plays quicker and more physical than your typical McComb team. They might be on par or just a few inches short of the level of dang grit and execution last years’ McComb team had, but dang Lucas has a really good squad. And their Double Wing has been enough to get them to Canton. There is another edge to the sword, though: it’s an offense that inherently poses risk toward fumbling the ball and it’s not a come-from-behind nor a “quick strike to equalize” style. Like I said earlier in this thread, Lucas goes as far in this game as their winning of the turnover battle goes. Their D is pretty good and against us they swarmed to the ball very well and played “read, commit to your read at the snap, no hesitation.” That’s how they played against Harvest Prep. That’s largely a product of great film prep during the week, good D-line play and smart linebackers. That’s enough to dominate a mediocre D7 like the team I followed, enough to persevere against better coached and more talented O’s (eg Cuyahoga Heights and Harvest Prep), but versus Marion Local they’re facing their toughest challenge all year. And that’s a testament to MSML and their program. MSML is a dang machine. But Lucas has the potential to grit it out and get the win, there’s just absolutely no room for error in any facet whatsoever. The MAC level of physicality and preparedness in state finals, it’s a beast. But if there’s a team who can rise to the challenge, it’s these Lucas Cubs. The ultimate question is if they can play their A+ game and hold it all together. Lose a fumble, and it could be enough to be kept at bay. Miss an assignment and keep getting exploited with the one narrow disadvantage at D (wherever it could come), and it could spell doom. Not at all a slight toward the Cubs— when you’re in the state finals it takes a state finals performance to win. And against Marion Local or any MAC Goliath on this stage, that margin for error is slimmer than the width of grass in between the Cubs’ big uglies up front on offense.

Good luck, Cubs. You have fans down here, and they believe in you guys.
On point, as always!

It is definitely going to take an A+ effort, a state championship level effort. My keys to the game:

1. No turnovers. Zero.
3. Limit penalties.
2. Good yardage on first down.
3. We must get a good pass rush & guard the play action well at the CB position.
4. No big plays (see PH game). Keep their WRs in front of us.
5. Each lineman must block like he is fighting for his own life.
6. If needed, use the ENTIRE playbook.
7. Be laser focused, but not tight.
8. Play Lucas football. Do not forget how we got here.

On point, as always!

It is definitely going to take an A+ effort, a state championship level effort. My keys to the game:

1. No turnovers. Zero.
3. Limit penalties.
2. Good yardage on first down.
3. We must get a good pass rush & guard the play action well at the CB position.
4. No big plays (see PH game). Keep their WRs in front of us.
5. Each lineman must block like he is fighting for his own life.
6. If needed, use the ENTIRE playbook.
7. Be laser focused, but not tight.
8. Play Lucas football. Do not forget how we got here.

In other words, perfect game (and yes, using the entire playbook is a must. Nothing to hold back on now). Tough to do on any stage let alone Canton for the first time. Nine straight years for Marion - that's an advantage. Their seniors have played an EXTRA two seasons in their four years of HS. Chew on that....20 extra games in four years. That's another reason these MAC schools are so good. The amount of extra practice times these kids get is unbelievable.

if you can quote a Seinfeld episode...you are the poster of the week
Bubble Boy: Okay, this is for the game. How ya doing over there? Not too good!
George: Alright Bubble Boy, let's just play. Who is going to win the D7 state championship this Saturday?
Bubble Boy: That's a joke! Marion Local.
George: Ohhhh noooo! I am sorry, it's Lucas. The correct answer is Lucas.

In other words, perfect game (and yes, using the entire playbook is a must. Nothing to hold back on now). Tough to do on any stage let alone Canton for the first time. Nine straight years for Marion - that's an advantage. Their seniors have played an EXTRA two seasons in their four years of HS. Chew on that....20 extra games in four years. That's another reason these MAC schools are so good. The amount of extra practice times these kids get is unbelievable.

Kind of makes up for all the years of pee wee football experience our boys miss out on I guess.

I think Parkway has one too.
Yes. Parkway has Peewee. My Knights play them. However, we have nixed the 3/4 grade and no longer start until 5/6 grade. We now have a flag football program with Van Wert and Delphos for our 1st - 4th graders that introduce kids to the game without the hitting and moreso just to have a little fun. I believe the 5th and 6th grade is back to the old style of peewee ball where you have to make a weight limit to be in the league. Most of the MAC schools wouldn't even qualify to play in the league anyway because of the size of their kids (tongue in cheek joke!)

Yes, no peewee football in the MAC, except for the Fort, and I sure hope it stays that way

I know 4-5 years ago there was a movement by some in PW to move away from the current youth program and go with a flag football setup which apparently didn't come to fruition.