Fox's big game duo of Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson

irish_buffalo

Tough for me to take these guys. Growing up and over the years it seemed like we always had Big 10 guys doing games who understood the landscape. Listening to Klatt and Johnson just seems very forced to me. I feel like I'm listening to an NFL play by play duo with the word "partner" being thrown around a lot.

I prefer Herbie and Fowler doing big games on ABC but with Fox in control of the Big Ten we get less and less.

Wondering if it was just me?

Tough for me to take these guys. Growing up and over the years it seemed like we always had Big 10 guys doing games who understood the landscape. Listening to Klatt and Johnson just seems very forced to me. I feel like I'm listening to an NFL play by play duo with the word "partner" being thrown around a lot.

I prefer Herbie and Fowler doing big games on ABC but with Fox in control of the Big Ten we get less and less.

Man you're a sour , I love them because I'm a Buckeye homer

Klatt is a solid analyst and an OK color guy. I've never cared for Gus Johnson as a football announcer. But this year, I've given them some slack. They've basically called every Ohio State game and I could sense by mid-season they were sick of calling the same team in blow outs.

Man you're a sour , I love them because I'm a Buckeye homer
I am not a Buckeye fan nor Michigan fan. Just a college football fan.

Johnson cut his teeth in basketball and Klatt is a Colorado guy. I do not have anything against them personally. Perhaps I've been spoiled in the past with such good announcers?

I'd think Gus Johnson is huge in the Buckeye state. Years back Buckeye fans whined about Mark May and his supposed slight to the Buckeyes. Johnson is Mr. Buckeye during the games and it's very evident.

I am not a Buckeye fan nor Michigan fan. Just a college football fan.

Johnson cut his teeth in basketball and Klatt is a Colorado guy. I do not have anything against them personally. Perhaps I've been spoiled in the past with such good announcers?
Who are you spoiled by? Please don’t say Gary Danielson and his partner

Klatt is a solid analyst and an OK color guy. I've never cared for Gus Johnson as a football announcer. But this year, I've given them some slack. They've basically called every Ohio State game and I could sense by mid-season they were sick of calling the same team in blow outs.
Fox is smart doing the Big ten since ESPN and CBS are so in the tank for the SEC

I'd think Gus Johnson is huge in the Buckeye state. Years back Buckeye fans whined about Mark May and his supposed slight to the Buckeyes. Johnson is Mr. Buckeye during the games and it's very evident.

"Supposed slight".... okay.

I like them and think they work good together. It does seem like they’ve called just about every game this year, so I could see people wanting more variation. I believe the big ten championship will be the 6th Ohio State game Gus and Klatt have called this season.

Fox is smart doing the Big ten since ESPN and CBS are so in the tank for the SEC
I'm not a Buckeye fan, but I'm a big ten fan (Indiana). I honestly don't understand why big ten and midwest fans have this mindset that ESPN and CBS are SEC fans? First of all Ohio State get a ton of love on all networks, and rightfully so. But also, the SEC is far and away the best conference (in football). This is the 6th year of the playoffs, and for the first time Alabama will not be in the playoffs. They've played part of this season with their backup QB, and parts of other games with a hurt starting QB. But the SEC isn't the best conference just because of Alabama. It's LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A&M and Florida. That group of 5 in the top to middle make it the best conference. No other conference has that depth at the top. In fact, I'd argue the big ten is continuously bottom heavy. The "big five" as I'd call it, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Penn State. Well, MSU has fallen hard since it made it's only playoff appearance in '16. Penn State, Wisky and Michigan have never been there. And at this point can you even consider Michigan a substantial program?

I'm not a Buckeye fan, but I'm a big ten fan (Indiana). I honestly don't understand why big ten and midwest fans have this mindset that ESPN and CBS are SEC fans? First of all Ohio State get a ton of love on all networks, and rightfully so. But also, the SEC is far and away the best conference (in football). This is the 6th year of the playoffs, and for the first time Alabama will not be in the playoffs. They've played part of this season with their backup QB, and parts of other games with a hurt starting QB. But the SEC isn't the best conference just because of Alabama. It's LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas A&M and Florida. That group of 5 in the top to middle make it the best conference. No other conference has that depth at the top. In fact, I'd argue the big ten is continuously bottom heavy. The "big five" as I'd call it, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Penn State. Well, MSU has fallen hard since it made it's only playoff appearance in '16. Penn State, Wisky and Michigan have never been there. And at this point can you even consider Michigan a substantial program?
LSU v OSU
Georgia v Wisconsin
Bama v PSU
Michigan v Auburn
Iowa v Florida
Minnesota v A&M
Miss St v Mich St
Tenn v Illinois
Purdue v Kentucky
Nebraska v Mizzou
Vandy v Maryland
Rutgers v Ole Miss
Arkansas and SC play themselves
I would think anyone with a brain would see these two conferences as very com[parable top to bottom this year. We should see several of these teams matching up head to head this bowl season

I like these guys but do think Klatt is a little too pro B1G and tOSU in particular. FYI, Gus Johnson was born and raised in Michigan.

They are trying so hard to be anti-ESPN/SEC that they go way over the top in their praise of Ohio State and the Big Ten (even if much of it was warranted this year)

I honestly don't understand why big ten and midwest fans have this mindset that ESPN and CBS are SEC fans?

They have network television deals with them. It's pretty obvious.

I mean the CBS 3:30 game intro is literally "Welcome to the best game from the best conference"

I like to watch the games.
GJ and JK are average or slightly above - especially when they show a little enthusiasm.
As long as tOSU keeps winning I don't care who the announcers are.

The one things that is evident is Gary Danielson should think about retiring or at least toning down his act. He rivals Finebaum for the SEC shill crown and he got slammed for laughing after a female photographer was run over on the sidelines of the Georgia-Auburn game.

I have never cared for Gus Johnson when he called basketball games bc it sounded like he was going to cream himself every play. The constant screaming annoyed the sh1t out of me.

The one things that is evident is Gary Danielson should think about retiring or at least toning down his act. He rivals Finebaum for the SEC shill crown and he got slammed for laughing after a female photographer was run over on the sidelines of the Georgia-Auburn game.

I used to enjoy listening to Danielson over the years but this year seems different. He is being more critical and saying some goofy things that don't make sense. He's a smart guy and obviously knows the game but I don't really remember questioning some of his analysis in the past. Maybe he's feeling the pressure too and thinks he needs to defend SEC more.

I have never cared for Gus Johnson when he called basketball games bc it sounded like he was going to cream himself every play. The constant screaming annoyed the sh1t out of me.
I think this might be my problem as well. When I said they sounded like an NFL duo I meant that they overhyped every play.

lol. I mean, you may agree with May’s bias, but to deny it is just stupid.

JK all day!!

I actually re-watched the OSU/UM game and it is Johnson that bothers me. I was definitely attributing a lot of what Johnson said to both.

JK all day!!

Johnson is a death spiral. ;)

Klatt is one of the best analysts/media members covering CF. He’s a so-so announcer, but he’s really good during guest appearances on Fox Sports shows.

I also like Urban on Fox’s Pregame. He’s obviously not great personality wise, but nobody else can talk X’s and O’s like him.

Klatt is one of the best analysts/media members covering CF. He’s a so-so announcer, but he’s really good during guest appearances on Fox Sports shows.

I also like Urban on Fox’s Pregame. He’s obviously not great personality wise, but nobody else can talk X’s and O’s like him.

This.

I love the Xs & Os and think it really helps understand how the NCAA game is different than the NFL game. To me what made Urban so great was his understanding of this part of the game parlayed with the ability to bring in the high level talent. Their are plenty of guys that can do one well but not the other and that is what separates the good ones from the great ones.

This.

I love the Xs & Os and think it really helps understand how the NCAA game is different than the NFL game. To me what made Urban so great was his understanding of this part of the game parlayed with the ability to bring in the high level talent. Their are plenty of guys that can do one well but not the other and that is what separates the good ones from the great ones.

He has the personality of dry toast, but he's a brilliant football mind. To me the Xs and Os are more entertaining than the human interest stories they do on College Game Day.