2019 Mr Football?

I have been to many games and he is a really good high school qb but he has been surrounded by a ton of talent. If on an average team he surely wouldn't stand out
That actually shows your lack of knowledge, if he was on a lesser team he would probably put up better numbers because first he would play all game every game, thus putting up huge numbers, follow along would you.

That actually shows your lack of knowledge, if he was on a lesser team he would probably put up better numbers because first he would play all game every game, thus putting up huge numbers, follow along would you.
I follow for sure. Am I a huge tiger fan? Yes. Does he go down as one of the best tiger QBs in history? Yes. I just see him as a good high school qb not great as some do. There is something that the scouts see that doesn't make him a next level qb. They see the truth. He is throwing to great receivers that are 10+ yards open. Not bashing the kid as I think he does great but I dont feel he is Mr Ohio material.

I’m new to this, this is my first post, but I was interested in this debate for Mr. Football. I thought it interesting the debate between big school and small school as well as the importance of record.

I had not heard of the Jones kid from West Jeff but it looks like he has amazing stats, so I thought I would look a little deeper to see if the naysayers had a point or if he would be a shoe-in like some fans have noted.

WJ won 9 games during the year and their opponents went 54-45 which isn’t bad. But, removing the best 2 opponents, the other 7 opponents, in a combined 30 wins, only beat 3 teams with winning records.

For instance, Lockland won 6 games, none of the 6 wins were against teams with a winning record. Ready 1-5, Madison Plains 0-6; the best was Greenview at 2-3.

Again, I have nothing against this young man or the program, I’m from near Cleveland and just picked a team being discussed in the forum kind of randomly. All these players and coaches work hard so I’m not trying to disparage anyone.

Whereas Winton Woods played a very difficult schedule, didn’t make the playoffs but beat the likely Dlll champs Trotwood-Madison by 30 points. I don’t even know if WW has a player of that caliber. Maybe Pick Central or Elder or Washington or LaSalle, who’s knows, but the difficulty in schedule is different.

All this to get to the question, does strength of schedule matter in a Mr. Football award and would this be a valid way to measure it?

Last edited:
I’m new to this, this is my first post, but I was interested in this debate for Mr. Football. I thought it interesting the debate between big school and small school as well as the importance of record.

I had not heard of the Jones kid from West Jeff but it looks like he has amazing stats, so I thought I would look a little deeper to see if the naysayers had a point of if he would be a shoe-in like some fans have noted.

WJ won 9 games during the year and their opponents went 54-45 which isn’t bad. But, removing the best 2 opponents the other 7 opponents in a combined 30 wins only beat 3 teams with winning records.

For instance, Lockland won 6 games, none of the 6 wins were against teams with a winning record. Ready 1-5, Madison Plains 0-6; the best was Greenview at 2-3.

Again, I have nothing against this young man or the program, I’m from near Cleveland and just picked a team being discussed in the forum kind of randomly. All these players and coaches work hard so I’m not trying to disparage anyone.

Whereas Winston Woods played a very difficult schedule, didn’t make the playoffs but beat the likely Dlll champs Trotwood-Madison by 30 points. I don’t even know if WW has a player of that caliber. Maybe Pick Central or Elder or Washington or LaSalle, who’s knows, but the difficulty in schedule is different.

All this to get to the question, does strength of schedule matter in a Mr. Football award and would this be a valid way to measure it?
Cliff -
1) welcome
2) how dare you bring logic to this forum! This is only for overly emotional ranker!! (just kidding....kinda)
3) You make some great points. Not sure how a D4 & lower wins it unless they make their team so amazingly dominate & have tremendous stats. Jones was great, but there are 5 - 8 of those guys every year in D5-7 who do basically the same thing.
4) Problem is last year they voted a LB/part time RB who had no stats, his team never even won their league & only won 2 playoff games in his career. What does that mean? It means no one on here has a clue what the voters will decide.

I had not heard of the Jones kid from West Jeff but it looks like he has amazing stats, so I thought I would look a little deeper to see if the naysayers had a point of if he would be a shoe-in like some fans have noted.

WJ won 9 games during the year and their opponents went 54-45 which isn’t bad. But, removing the best 2 opponents the other 7 opponents in a combined 30 wins only beat 3 teams with winning records.

Whereas Winston Woods played a very difficult schedule, didn’t make the playoffs but beat the likely Dlll champs Trotwood-Madison by 30 points. I don’t even know if WW has a player of that caliber. Maybe Pick Central or Elder or Washington or LaSalle, who’s knows, but the difficulty in schedule is different.

Yes, strength of schedule should matter. I have no problem not even considering the bottom three divisions for such an individual award. I am a fan of the small schools, but do not believe you can accurately gauge an individual's impact at the highest levels at those size of schools. If you were going to award such a small school kid, then his team better have at least reached a regional final game. You ask good questions.

There definitely should be a small school and big school Mr. Football award. Facts are facts, the vast majority of small schools just do not have the numbers, athletes, or overall dedication to the sport. Put Paris Johnson, Jack Sawyer, or Crenshaw for PC etc on a D4 or D5 team and it would look like a video game where you create a monster of a player. Crenshaw at QB would be bigger than every kid on the field most of the time. Those three play top 10 ten strength of schedules in the state at D1 and still look like the best players by far on the field.

Facts are facts, the vast majority of small schools just do not have the numbers, athletes, or overall dedication to the sport.
With you on most of that except for the “dedication” part. One could argue that kids playing at the lower levels are more committed because they are less likely to play at next level, often have to play out of position & are needed to play other sports for their school’s programs to succeed.

That said, envisioning Paris Johnson blocking for WJ’s Jones, Orrville’s Parks or Manchester’s Wright would be football nirvana.

I have to throw East Knox's Gallwitz into the mix.

2,841 yards rushing and 48 touchdowns on 308 carries. Over 3,000 all purpose yards.

INCREDIBLE.

With you on most of that except for the “dedication” part. One could argue that kids playing at the lower levels are more committed because they are less likely to play at next level, often have to play out of position & are needed to play other sports for their school’s programs to succeed.

That said, envisioning Paris Johnson blocking for WJ’s Jones, Orrville’s Parks or Manchester’s Wright would be football nirvana.
I agree dedication wasn't the right adjective. I meant more resources like speed training, nutrician programs, ridiculous weight programs many of these kids at that level are single sport focused and working on football 24/7.

I like your Paris Johnson part. For instance, Jack Sawyer was switched to QB I think Game 3 or 4 when his team was struggling. Never played position before had over 1k in passing and was closing in on 1k in rushing got his team in the playoffs and still killed it at DE. I have watched Crenshaw past 3 years he is a beast about to win his 2nd state championship. I cant see how one of those 3 aren't Mr. Football. All 3 are great kids from what I understand as well.

Last edited:
This award is about the contributions of an individual player to a team not what as a team they did a year ago...TOSU seen the contributions Miylan made over this season and he will be a huge impact player for them.
He may not win because of WW scheduling 10 games issues that were out of his control but, he without a doubt should be considered one of the front runners.
Just a small sample of his dominance vs. some of the best teams in and out the state.

Just WOW!
MR FOOTBALL NOMATTER THE LEVEL DIVISION MUST DOMINATE ALL REGULAR SEASON GAMES WITHIN THAT 1 SEASON.
He is a very good but he did not dominate.

Some tape of Williams playing a top level team. Found a highlight here below. Watch about a minute and half in. Many at this game including most media outlets will say this is when Mr. Football was ruled out for Williams.
There is another highlight with more plays I have seen. When have you ever seen a Mr Ohio run for 46 yards on 13 carries.
St.Edward LB made over a minute highlight just making plays on him, the same kid that actual put him out of the game which I'm sure he will be ready for OSU. Hated to see because at D2 he is a great player and they would have made a run and it was a tough schedule. Again great player, just talking facts while we're showing videos.

Prater has to be the favorite to win IMO

Last edited:
I agree dedication wasn't the right adjective. I meant more resources like speed training, nutrician programs, ridiculous weight programs many of these kids at that level are single sport focused and working on football 24/7.

I like your Paris Johnson part. For instance, Jack Sawyer was switched to QB I think Game 3 or 4 when his team was struggling. Never played position before had over 1k in passing and was closing in on 1k in rushing got his team in the playoffs and still killed it at DE. I have watched Crenshaw past 3 years he is a beast about to win his 2nd state championship. I cant see how one of those 3 aren't Mr. Football. All 3 are great kids from what I understand as well.
Very good players but this is Ridiculous!!!! THE MOST DOMINANT OHSFB PLAYER IN THIS PARTICULAR SEASON. Top 15 but not even in the Top 5.

I watched Gabe Jones play Ironton and head to head there is no comparison with him and Reid Carrico, let alone some of the other top players in the state. Carrico was a man among boys that game. There's a reason he commited to the Buckeyes as a junior.

MR FOOTBALL NOMATTER THE LEVEL DIVISION MUST DOMINATE ALL REGULAR SEASON GAMES WITHIN THAT 1 SEASON.
He is a very good but he did not dominate.

Some tape of Williams playing a top level team. Found a highlight here below. Watch about a minute and half in. Many at this game including most media outlets will say this is when Mr. Football was ruled out for Williams.
There is another highlight with more plays I have seen. When have you ever seen a Mr Ohio run for 46 yards on 13 carries.
St.Edward LB made over a minute highlight just making plays on him, the same kid that actual put him out of the game which I'm sure he will be ready for OSU. Hated to see because at D2 he is a great player and they would have made a run and it was a tough schedule. Again great player, just talking facts while we're showing videos.

Prater has to be the favorite to win IMO

Prater was named Co- offense player of the year for his division- has Mr. Football ever been a “co-“ all state selection?

Prater won and here were the finalist
Other finalists for the award included Caleb Gallwitz, Howard East Knox, Sr, 6-0/195, RB; Angelo Grose, Mansfield Senior, Sr, 5-10/190, DB; Gabe Jones, West Jefferson, Sr, 5-11/170, RB; Ian Kipp, Mentor, Jr, 6-2/205, QB; Baron May, New Philadelphia, Sr, 6-2/200, QB; Ethan Wright, Akron Manchester, 6-1/195, sr.,RB and Drew Schiano, Perry, Sr, 6-0/145, QB.