Division VI State Championship: New Middletown Springfield (14-0) vs. Anna (13-1)

Who wins?

• Anna by 15+

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • Anna by 8-14

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Anna by 1-7

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Springfield by 15+

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How will Springfield stop this Anna ground game?
Same question applies to Anna stopping Springfield. That's the joy of the Finals. Neither team nor fan base typically has a clue about each other.

Anna will give up more points than it likes in this one. Also might have to spend some time on special teams. NMS kicker is the fantastic. You don't often hear folks stop in mid sentence during a kickoff unless it's to watch the returner. This kid is special.

Last edited:
Feel free to sleep Springfield Local, but you better get used to seeing them....they will be in this game a lot in the upcoming years. The QB is (Beau) a sophomore and is a freak show. His father is the OC and former Poland head coach (88 -37) and led them to 9 straight playoff appearances. Prior to his tenure at Poland, they were not a very good program, dare I say...bad program. He changed the culture there. His collegiate career is remarkable also...https://www.ysusports.com/fan_zone/hof/bios/brungard-mark?view=bio. I've never seen Anna play, so I can't pretend to know what I don't. But, I don't think too many people from western Ohio know much about Mark Brungard...and his boys. But, they are going to find out.

As I say...coaching matters.
Brungard is a great coach no doubt. But saying Poland was a bad program because they had 2-3 years of below average football isn't very accurate. He was exactly what the program needed at the time for sure, but a state championship in '99 and a regional final in '01 is a lot. I think '04 & '05 were the only down years if i remember right

I will say this. Anyone can win it’s one game that’s sports. That being said Anna who should be in DV just my opinion has put a running clock on everyone but ML and Minster if I am right. Don’t know much about Springfield but I will bet they don’t play anything as way of schedule Anna did. Running clock in this one as well unless something happens ie injuries or bunch of turnovers. I know Springfield QB is a stud but they will be all over him. After Anna beat Minster The way they did I can’t go against them. Also just to be a homer if Anna was in DV you would have 3 MAC schools there again. ML,Minster, Anna. Go Rockets 45-10

enough with this...don't understand what this is....:) Anna Rolls!!
Sooooo... give me your prediction and the reason for it. It’s conversation material. I posted another scenario that shows Anna by 13. So split the difference.
Your comment... Anna rolls. Why? That’s just as baseless as a score comparison. LOL. Maybe more so. ????

Last edited:
Drew Pastuer has Springfield ranked just slightly behind Anna.

Should be a great game but in the end Anna is just to dominant up front and Huelskamp will rush for 250+ and 4 TD's.

How will Springfield stop this Anna ground game?
Could be a shoot out. Or not. In D4 this week, Poland played Licking Valley. Poland is huge. They took a two TD lead going into the fourth and lost. LV got hot throwing and took over. Springfield has an awesome QB capable of doing the same. Running and throwing. Woody Hayes had a habit of recruiting coaches sons because they knew the game. Mentally and emotionally. This kid is the son of a coach. And all his dad did in his college days is quarterback his team to two national championships under Jim Tressel. The bloodlines are there. He’s a go to stud. And he may also run annnnd pass for 250+. He’s got a supporting cast as well or they wouldn’t be there. Pressure is all on Anna. They’re certainly the big favorite. But expect to see some great plays and brutal runs from this kid as well. Don’t know if they can score with Anna. But it could be a fun game to watch.

Last edited:
Feel free to sleep Springfield Local, but you better get used to seeing them....they will be in this game a lot in the upcoming years. The QB is (Beau) a sophomore and is a freak show. His father is the OC and former Poland head coach (88 -37) and led them to 9 straight playoff appearances. Prior to his tenure at Poland, they were not a very good program, dare I say...bad program. He changed the culture there. His collegiate career is remarkable also...https://www.ysusports.com/fan_zone/hof/bios/brungard-mark?view=bio. I've never seen Anna play, so I can't pretend to know what I don't. But, I don't think too many people from western Ohio know much about Mark Brungard...and his boys. But, they are going to find out.

As I say...coaching matters.
I certainly don't disagree with you ideliver, but I would add that Mark Brungard isn't the head coach of the Tigers. Sean Guerriero has always had the Tigers competitive year-in and year-out. He is also a quality coach. But the addition of Brungard to the staff has elevated the Tigers GREATLY. The whole coaching staff seems to work very well together and really have the kids focused and believing in themselves.

Could be a shoot out. Or not. In D4 this week, Poland played Licking Valley. Poland is huge. They took a two TD lead going into the fourth and lost. LV got hot throwing and took over. Springfield has an awesome QB capable of doing the same. Running and throwing. Woody Hayes had a habit of recruiting coaches sons because they knew the game. Mentally and emotionally. This kid is the son of a coach. And all his dad did in his college days is quarterback his team to two national championships under Jim Tressel. The bloodlines are there. He’s a go to stud. And he may also run annnnd pass for 250+. He’s got a supporting cast as well or they wouldn’t be there. Pressure is all on Anna. They’re certainly the big favorite. But expect to see some great plays and brutal runs from this kid as well. Don’t know if they can score with Anna. But it could be a fun game to watch.
No doubt it will be a fun game. I expect it to be a barn burner which probably favors Springfield. Anna hasn't really been tested this year outside of Anna.

who is his dad?

Sooooo... give me your prediction and the reason for it. It’s conversation material. I posted another scenario that shows Anna by 13. So split the difference.
Your comment... Anna rolls. Why? That’s just as baseless as a score comparison. LOL. Maybe more so. ????
I'm biased...... Anna beat my team in the first game of the playoffs.....and they haven't stopped since, I don't know a thing about Springfield( where can I see film on them?) but I just know what Anna is about , if they would be in Div 5 they would be playing Kirtland this week....

I'm biased...... Anna beat my team in the first game of the playoffs.....and they haven't stopped since, I don't know a thing about Springfield( where can I see film on them?) but I just know what Anna is about , if they would be in Div 5 they would be playing Kirtland this week....

COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU!
(They probably would have been in R18 so they'd have played Kirtland last week)

just looking at the regions....maybe Anna would have been in 20.....they have gone south the past two years in Div 5
Was just kidding. Actually, would have been fun to see them meet up with West Jeff. Well, fun for the rest of us.

If Springfield can give their QB time to throw on offense and get penetration and tackle well on defense they can win. However no. 44 Minnich for Anna is a very good pass rusher, Anna's small school version of Chase Young and tackling Bixler and Huelskamp in the open field is no easy task better get to them behind the los or at the los otherwise good night Irene.

I certainly don't disagree with you ideliver, but I would add that Mark Brungard isn't the head coach of the Tigers. Sean Guerriero has always had the Tigers competitive year-in and year-out. He is also a quality coach. But the addition of Brungard to the staff has elevated the Tigers GREATLY. The whole coaching staff seems to work very well together and really have the kids focused and believing in themselves.
Springfield really didn't do anything until Brungard got there?? Hats off to Springfield for allowing him to join the staff, but he is much more to credit here than Guerriero (who is clearly following Brungard's lead so good for him)

Springfield QB's dad is Mark Brungard who played under Tressel at Youngstown St. and was head coach at Poland Seminary HS before joining the staff at Springfield to spend more time with his kids.
How many titles did he win at Poland Seminary

when was he the coach there.....
He resigned following the 2015 playoffs after 11 seasons on the job, so that means he coached 2005-2015. His record at Poland was 88-37 which included 4 league titles and 9 straight trips to the playoffs (his final 9 seasons). His teams' deepest playoff run came in 2009 when they lost to eventual DIII state champion Cardinal Mooney in the Region 9 final.

Last edited:
My Observations from the Marion - Anna game back in week 5, The Flyers have a smaller than usual D-Line and I believe it actually paid off against Anna. Every play you had the feeling Bixler or Huelskamp could break it for a touchdown, that night the Flyers D-Line and linebackers penetrated the backfield and tackled very well in open space. On Offense the Flyers moved the ball thru the air pretty effectively and utilized the QB in the rushing game more than any other game this year. If I'm NMS I know which game film I'm studying.

My Observations from the Marion - Anna game back in week 5, The Flyers have a smaller than usual D-Line and I believe it actually paid off against Anna. Every play you had the feeling Bixler or Huelskamp could break it for a touchdown, that night the Flyers D-Line and linebackers penetrated the backfield and tackled very well in open space. On Offense the Flyers moved the ball thru the air pretty effectively and utilized the QB in the rushing game more than any other game this year. If I'm NMS I know which game film I'm studying.
Doog - that is interesting. Watching NMS last week my buddy commented on how they never gave up long runs because they swarmed to the ball so well. And as far as QB runs go, they probably could have thrown for 200 more yards after the first quarter. Defense had to respect his legs and kids were running free.

Both teams from the outer edges of Ohio. Can totally understand why folks give Anna the edge, but there looks to be some good football being played on the eastern edge of Ohio as well.

Looks like Springfield has enough versatility on offense to make this interesting. Anna is very hard to contain for 4 quarters. Only MSML has been able to do it. Upset wouldn't surprise me here, but Anna may wear on them as the game goes on.

I am sure other coaches watched video of that game to no avail. ML's defense has good team speed and tackles well, hard to replicate.