Division V State Semifinal: West Jefferson (12-1) vs. Ironton (12-1)

Who wins?

• West Jefferson by 15+

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • West Jefferson by 8-14

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • West Jefferson by 1-7

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Ironton by 1-7

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Ironton by 8-14

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That’s a big tone change. Because you sure did spat that mouth off before you had to much of a clue to what West Jefferson has. I can promise you, Ironton hasn’t faced an offense as physical as West Jeff’s this season.
It’s about to get ugly! This river rat will send you a post card from Canton.

West Jeff’s schedule catches up with them. They were not ready for the power. Good season for them.

Next week will not be for the weak minded, it will be like a series of head on collisions all night

Last edited:
Congrats to WJ on a great season. In 20 years, it will probably be a state championship somewhere.

Ironton played a great game tonight and deserved to win.

Went to to this game and I took away one thing and that was that Reid Cerrico should not be aloud to play in D5 lol just kidding but he is a monster. Gabe jones is a great player About I don’t see him being a legit D1 player but a great talent for sure.

West Jeff’s schedule catches up with them. They were not ready for the power. God season for them.

Next week will not be for the weak minded, it will be like a series of head on collisions all night

first off, congrats to Ironton.

second off, west Jefferson played 2 regional finalists (1 was also a state semifinalist). Even Ironton cannot say the same. They also played a pretty good Bishop Ready team that didn’t miss the playoffs by much. you can call their schedule and league garbage all you want - but the proof is in the pudding. West Jeff played, and beat some of the best small school teams within their area of Ohio.

also congrats to West Jeff in a great run! Head’s high, you’ll be back soon!

Last edited:
Went to to this game and I took away one thing and that was that Reid Cerrico should not be aloud to play in D5 lol just kidding but he is a monster. Gabe jones is a great player About I don’t see him being a legit D1 player but a great talent for sure.
He already a legit D1 player !!!!!

Another state semi loss but a great season for sure!
Gabe still for sure Mr. Football hands down!
A lot of accolades goes to a lot of players on this team for the success it had this season.
Ironton a great team that was well prepared and WJ not as much.
Should be a great game next week!
I’m sure I’ll have more to say later!

first off, congrats to Ironton.

second off, west Jefferson played 2 regional finalists (1 was also a state semifinalist). Even Ironton cannot say the same. They also played a pretty good Bishop Ready team that didn’t miss the playoffs by much. you can call their schedule and league garbage all you want - but the proof is in the pudding. West Jeff played, and beat some of the best small school teams within their area of Ohio.

also congrats to West Jeff in a great run! Head’s high, you’ll be back soon!
Relax. Not trying to make a capital case. You actually made my points - WJ played all schools D5 or lower & stayed in their area. You’re in the center of the state, everyone is in range. Grab a couple D3/4 schools. Take a chance at a loss for some experience that will pay off in NOV. Ironton actually did that with 2 KY schools. They only went 1-1 against them, but just seal clubbed their way into the finals.

Bottom line, a Final 4 berth is fantastic accomplishment.

Relax. Not trying to make a capital case. You actually made my points - WJ played all schools D5 or lower & stayed in their area. You’re in the center of the state, everyone is in range. Grab a couple D3/4 schools. Take a chance at a loss for some experience that will pay off in NOV. Ironton actually did that with 2 KY schools. They only went 1-1 against them, but just seal clubbed their way into the finals.

not sure how many D3-4 teams want to play a D5 powerhouse

I really wish WJ would go back to their old days of scheduling.
Usually, WJ would only play D-1 or D-2 schools but not anymore.
Next year, they have Carlisle away and then Waterford @ home.
Waterford was a good pickup but Carlisle won’t help any.
I agree, we need to schedule bigger schools or playoff power schools for non league.

not sure how many D3-4 teams want to play a D5 powerhouse
You may be right. Yet somehow Kirtland, Ironton, Oak Harbor, Orrville, Johnstown, Wheelersburg all seems to be able to do it pretty consistently.
Even the most objective observer would have said R20 was the weakest in D5 this year & that was proved to be true based on tonight’s games.

You may be right. Yet somehow Kirtland, Ironton, Oak Harbor, Orrville, Johnstown, Wheelersburg all seems to be able to do it pretty consistently.
Even the most objective observer would have said R20 was the weakest in D5 this year & that was proved to be true based on tonight’s games.
different mentalities in different places.. in southern/southeast ohio, there aren’t that many teams and they’re just looking for good competition regardless. in SWO, you don’t see too many schools volunteering to play down (mainly talking about the MAC). i understand they do on some instances and that’s great. but Marion Local/Minster/Anna are rarely, if ever playing D2-4 teams in the area. same with WJ, Mechanicsburg, West Liberty, etc. sometimes it happens, but you don’t usually see D2-4 teams on their schedules ever.