Division I State Semifinal: Mentor (13-0) vs. Pickerington Central (12-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 8-14

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Pickerington by 15+

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your a scumbag. I watched PC boys animated talking early in the first quarter. No calls. I watched a dirty low hit on Mentors QB on a crucial drive at end of game. I watched a ref throw a holding call well after the play was over to tKe points off the board. The hold NEVER happened. I watched Mentor stop PC when they were up 7-0, to have the long snapper slam his head down on a hard count to draw defense off sides. This is 100% ILLEGAL. I saw a ref throw a PI flag in the 3rd only for another ref to tell him to pick it up. I’ve heard about how PC’s Coach will do ANYTHING to win this game. It’s obvious someone influential got to some of these refs. The WORST officiated game I’ve seen as far as GAME CHANGING calls.
Man, I respect Mentor as a program, but this is getting out of hand. I respect and like most Mentor posters on here, and that was a heartbreaking game, but this is ridiculous.

Your a scumbag. I watched PC boys animated talking early in the first quarter. No calls. I watched a dirty low hit on Mentors QB on a crucial drive at end of game. I watched a ref throw a holding call well after the play was over to tKe points off the board. The hold NEVER happened. I watched Mentor stop PC when they were up 7-0, to have the long snapper slam his head down on a hard count to draw defense off sides. This is 100% ILLEGAL. I saw a ref throw a PI flag in the 3rd only for another ref to tell him to pick it up. I’ve heard about how PC’s Coach will do ANYTHING to win this game. It’s obvious someone influential got to some of these refs. The WORST officiated game I’ve seen as far as GAME CHANGING calls.
Oh stop it. The Mentor coaching staff lost this game as they do every year. I am a Mentor fan and lived in Mentor from 1990 to 2005. Never failed to find a way to lose. I love coach Triv. Came to my mothers funeral. His staff is inept. Give Pickering Central some respect. They are a solid team.

Oh stop it. The Mentor coaching staff lost this game as they do every year. I am a Mentor fan and lived in Mentor from 1990 to 2005. Never failed to find a way to lose. I love coach Triv. Came to my mothers funeral. His staff is inept. Give Pickering Central some respect. They are a solid team.
They are a very good team. Why do officials always get a break?? They are being paid. They took points off the board for Mentor on a hold that didn’t happen...they gave PC a pick that hit the ground. Why is that ok?

Take a time out man. PCs coach will do anything to win the game? Like what have you heard and what are you accusing him of? Dirty hit in the QB? He hit him low. It’s not like he ran head first into another player laying on the ground after the play. Influential people from Pickerington? I would love to know who you are referring to. What’s next, a complete pre planned conspiracy by the deep state to keep Mentor high school from winning a state championship? Them Menner helmets must be made out of tin foil.

Take a time out man. PCs coach will do anything to win the game? Like what have you heard and what are you accusing him of? Dirty hit in the QB? He hit him low. It’s not like he ran head first into another player laying on the ground after the play. Influential people from Pickerington? I would love to know who you are referring to. What’s next, a complete pre planned conspiracy by the deep state to keep Mentor high school from winning a state championship? Them Menner helmets must be made out of tin foil.

Explain this to me. Mentor throws TD pass. Well after play, Ref throws flag for a hold. Spectrum replays several times and says they see no hold. Watch it. Get back to me. Tell me where the hold was. Take 6 off board back up to 3rd and long against that defense. Why is this ok??

It would be a shame if this comment came back toward the latest posts in the thread.
Lol..good one man. Best thing is, I don’t have to read all this crap anymore cause I have no need to anymore. It is really a shame Mentors QB went down on last drive. Could of been another fantastic finish. Hate to see it.

Lol..good one man. Best thing is, I don’t have to read all this crap anymore cause I have no need to anymore. It is really a shame Mentors QB went down on last drive. Could of been another fantastic finish. Hate to see it.
On that we agree. Hate to see kids get hurt. He’s a tough kid and I admire his gutsy try to come back out. Tough, hard hitting game.

Only SEO has scheduled us they they will only play there.
Completely untrue. Elder signed on to play PC at PC 1st game of the 2016 season. Close game, PC won 20-14. PC backed out of moving forward with a series so Elder has played Gahanna Lincoln the past 3 seasons.

Completely untrue. Elder signed on to play PC at PC 1st game of the 2016 season. Close game, PC won 20-14. PC backed out of moving forward with a series so Elder has played Gahanna Lincoln the past 3 seasons.
You're 100% correct My bad Elder has scheduled quite a few times and deserves respect for that

Correct on both counts. I wasn’t specifically referencing ML, just pointing out that other Ohio high school teams could be considered more dominant than St. Edwards.
Bro please stop St.Eds is the dominant team in recent years nobody wants to hear about D5-D7 football teams

Wow I’m surprised the thread got so ugly. Lots of emotions surround Triv’s final game.

Last week I openly said St Eds was the better team, but Mentor found a way. Last night I really felt Mentor was the better team, but it just didn’t always show. Sure, there are some calls I wish went Mentor’s way. That holding call at the end of the first half was crushing. I was watching Floriea, not the line so I have no way to say what happened. It is too bad that Mentor didn’t get awarded the ball on the second kick after halftime. I can’t say with certainty who got it, but it looked pretty close.

Mentor looked to have all the momentum to start the game. That special teams penalty stole away that momentum. Mentor’s defense played terribly in the first half, but very solid in the second. Mentor’s offense was pretty sharp in the first 24:10 of the game. Completely shut out during the last 23:50. Each side of the ball played one half. Not good enough against a team like Pickerington.

The injuries to Trobel and Kipp were tough. Trobel stayed in the game, but clearly wasn’t the same. Reminiscent of an early injury to Brandon Fritts in Mentor’s only other state semifinal loss. Kipp’s injury sucked, but Mentor shouldn’t have been in that position late. If Mentor played like they had all season, that game should’ve been tied at worst and possibly with a lead if the defense played a little better in the first half or the offense was a little sharper (and healthier) in the first half.

Congrats to Triv on a fantastic career. The boys clearly wanted to win it for him. Unfortunately, last night just wasn’t their night.

I finally watched some Mentor video. Mentor just doesn’t have the team speed to matchup with PC. There are 3-4 players on Mentor that would start for PC. There are a couple of players that start for Mentor that would be on the JV team at Central. I am not mentioning any numbers or names because they are high school kids.
The QB has a strong arm and has good size but he runs straight up and sometimes jumps at the point of contact. I will mention #47 is going to be a beast, #93 looks strong and #10 is a great player.
I am going to watch more video today but I would take Central +19 everyday all day and like PC to win straight up.
It's a shame that the Cardinals could not have continued their trek towards a state title, but, based upon the report above, Mentor should be very proud that they apparently were able to hold their own against an obvious superior opponent.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Pickerington Central. Tough loss for the Mentor team. A new Journey now begins for a very strong Cardinal program. I was rooting for Mentor nothing against any of the teams they have played just would have liked to see them get over the hump!

The WORST officiated game I’ve seen as far as GAME CHANGING calls.

Then you didn't watch last weeks game because that ref (who called 7 penalties) is out of a job!
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't write off Mentor, especially if they continue with the system that has been out into place. What they do need, as most Mentor fans have stated, is to develop a defense.

Why in the world did they bring Kipp back in the game at the end when he could barely walk?? I was incredibly impressed with him and hated that such a tough, talented player got hurt like that, but he couldn't even move back there in the pocket at the end. You're just asking to get him hurt even worse by putting him back in.

I wouldn't write off Mentor, especially if they continue with the system that has been out into place. What they do need, as most Mentor fans have stated, is to develop a defense.
Not writing them off, just think Triv brought them to another level.

Your a joke ! Every excuse as to why you lost the game. Mentor, I must say, was one of the cheapest teams I have seen this year. Bottom line: We came 2+ hours to the north were NEO football ( Cleveland, Akron, Canton ) are so full of themselves all they can do is make excuses as to why they lose. You had everything going for you and still lost. Two years ago you made excuses as to why you lost to PC. This year you made more excuses as to why you lost to PC. Here is the truth....................good teams don't make excuses they overcome adversity. PC does it all the time. Mentor congrats on your phantom win against Ed's. You can now sit home and watch the championship on you TV next Friday.

The kid in the schoolyard is taking his ball and going home.
Your rant about the refs is a great example of what is wrong with the culture surrounding sports today.
Come on man. It’s not like Mentor lost to Beaumont. They lost to an elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.