Division I State Semifinal: Mentor (13-0) vs. Pickerington Central (12-1)

Who wins?

• Mentor by 15+

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Mentor by 8-14

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Mentor by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 1-7

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Pickerington by 8-14

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Pickerington by 15+

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Refs? One of Mentors touchdowns came after a terrible pass interference call on 3rd and long. #21 should have been ejected for targeting and personal foul. Mentor is a very undisciplined team. Maybe next year, but I doubt it.

"That being said PC has been the most dominant, and consistant team in the state for the last decade and gets no respect from the northeast and southwest regions"

That might be hyperbole about dominant team in the state. It's probably due to euphoria; we'll give you that. The reason they don't get the respect they deserve from NEO and SWO is because they don't play anyone from NEO and SWO during the regular season. That being said, congratulations on the win.

So being gifted 2 possessions and having a score taken off the board makes PC better? News to me.

The bad officiating went both ways. The dirty play on the other hand was all Mentor. Constant diving in after the whistle. #21 should have been ejected, as well as #73. Just embarassing.

Sorry Mentor Fans your team played really hard0. maybe too hard and got reckless. I can't believe your coach would put him in on one foot like that. The more disciplined, and physical team won, but i have to say this game was one of the highest level games i've seen in many years from any highschool team, these looked like GOOD college teams. That being said PC has been the most dominant, and consistant team in the state for the last decade and gets no respect from the northeast and southwest regions
St Edward?

Titles in 2010, 14, 15, and 19.

That's the most dominant team in the last decade. And it pains me to type that.

The bad officiating went both ways. The dirty play on the other hand was all Mentor. Constant diving in after the whistle. #21 should have been ejected, as well as #73. Just embarassing.

And that’s equal to negating a TD, calling an interception when the ball hit the ground, and giving PC the ball after they muffed a kickoff but Mentor came out of the scrum with the ball.

I agree. Just embarrassing

Sorry Mentor Fans your team played really hard0. maybe too hard and got reckless. I can't believe your coach would put him in on one foot like that. The more disciplined, and physical team won, but i have to say this game was one of the highest level games i've seen in many years from any highschool team, these looked like GOOD college teams. That being said PC has been the most dominant, and consistant team in the state for the last decade and gets no respect from the northeast and southwest regions

A certain team with 4 state championships this decade would probably disagree.

And Ed’s thought they got jobbed last week! Wow. Phantom Hold takes TD away from Mentor and then a phantom INT sets up go ahead score. All clear as day on TV.
The spearing after the play was dead and the phantom PI that led to a Mentor TD was crystal clear.

Is there a reason why Styles doesn't get many touches on offense? Best athlete on the field and a ND recruit to play wr and barely touched the ball. If he played for Mentor he would have 200 yrds receiving and multiple scores every game.

The holding call that took a TD off the board for Mentor was at best questionable based on replay. The "outcome" was officiated as opposed to the action by the Mentor OL.

The INT for PC that led to the go-ahead (winning) score would have been reversed via replay, almost assuredly. Tough one for the referee crew to get right live, I can see how they came to the conclusion it was an INT.

As far as the potential targeting on Mentor (Toth), it clearly was one on replay; tough to see that as such live. I'm using the college rule term, since I don't think there is targeting in high school as such, but you can eject a player for unnecessary roughness (which that was based on replay).

The PC pass interference on Mentor's first TD was probably PI though I'm not sure. If you're going to claim uncatchable, there is no such thing in high school.

PC won the game because they had the best player on the field in both phases of the game (Crenshaw when they had the ball, Hamilton when Mentor had the ball).

Awful officiating and then Mentor QB gets hurt.
Not even real.
Even if you take away that Phantom holding call and give mentor that TD before the end of the half, Mentor has no chance in overtime with Kipp injured. PC was winning that game. Triv made the same mistake as two years ago by not spying on Crenshaw. You have to make someone else beat you. Crenshaw had 6 TDs in the finals two years ago. It was no secret PC was going to do the same thing again.

"That being said PC has been the most dominant, and consistant team in the state for the last decade and gets no respect from the northeast and southwest regions"

That might be hyperbole about dominant team in the state. It's probably due to euphoria; we'll give you that. The reason they don't get the respect they deserve from NEO and SWO is because they don't play anyone from NEO and SWO during the regular season. That being said, congratulations on the win.
I need some numbers can you tell me who has had a better playoff record and regular season record in the last 12 years? There has been more dominant 2-3 year stretches but overall I can't think of a single team who has been that consistent over the past decade, or even past 3 years.

I had a chance to watch this game and the Massillon game on Spectrum and again.....again the Mentor coaching staff blew this game. Another lost state title by incompetent coaches. I am leaving Triv out of this. I really wanted him to win it all but he kept his inept staff run the show. This was the year. Now the big question...does Triv retract his resignation and stay another year? Get ready for some awesome basketball Coach K. I'm rooting for that awesome backcourt. To the players of Mentor football. You have all the talent in the world. Great feeder system, great fans even though they still do not follow as well as they should. If coach Triv does leave like he says he will, please dear lord do not pick from in house or you will never see a title game.

That works both ways the NEO and SWO school also have to be willing to schedule a home and home with them.

Congrats to Mentor on a great season. Unfortunately, they did have one more upset in them. Sounds like there were some questionable calls, but PC had a definite talent advantage. I wonder who will replace Triv. It's going to be hard if not impossible to do. Before Triv, Mentor was good but not like this. But it does look like Triv is leaving a lot of talent to the future coach.

And that’s equal to negating a TD, calling an interception when the ball hit the ground, and giving PC the ball after they muffed a kickoff but Mentor came out of the scrum with the ball.

I agree. Just embarrassing
The ball never hit the ground on the pick. Happened right in front of me.
As far as coming out of the scrum with the ball, c’mon, man, that can mean literally nothing. So much happens at the bottom of the piles.

Can now see why your team plays so undisciplined and dirty. Have fun watching the big boys play next week. I think it will be televised for you. Lol!
Your a scumbag. I watched PC boys animated talking early in the first quarter. No calls. I watched a dirty low hit on Mentors QB on a crucial drive at end of game. I watched a ref throw a holding call well after the play was over to tKe points off the board. The hold NEVER happened. I watched Mentor stop PC when they were up 7-0, to have the long snapper slam his head down on a hard count to draw defense off sides. This is 100% ILLEGAL. I saw a ref throw a PI flag in the 3rd only for another ref to tell him to pick it up. I’ve heard about how PC’s Coach will do ANYTHING to win this game. It’s obvious someone influential got to some of these refs. The WORST officiated game I’ve seen as far as GAME CHANGING calls.

Congrats to Mentor on a great season. Unfortunately, they did have one more upset in them. Sounds like there were some questionable calls, but PC had a definite talent advantage. I wonder who will replace Triv. It's going to be hard if not impossible to do. Before Triv, Mentor was good but not like this. But it does look like Triv is leaving a lot of talent to the future coach.
Falquin, being objective, it was a reasonably well officiated game, for the most part. There were some 50/50 calls, that went fairly equitably between the two teams. Which we know is often the case when two evenly-matched, well-coaches teams meet with so much on the line. It was a great, entertaining game between two great programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.