Streaming TV services

WE pay a God-awful amont to SPectrum ($200+ or so) for high speed, cable incl HBO/Showtime, and home phone.

Then we have:
Disney+ (incl Hulu and ESPN+)
Amazon Prime
NetFlix (a borrowed password lol)
a Roku TV
I've had CBS All Access a few times when they give me a free trial.

Have not needed anything else at this point. When a clear alternative gets us all the Indians/Cavs games that cable has we might cut that cord, but we pretty much have to keep Spectrum for HIGH SPEED internet right now..

WE pay a God-awful amont to SPectrum ($200+ or so) for high speed, cable incl HBO/Showtime, and home phone.

Then we have:
Disney+ (incl Hulu and ESPN+)
Amazon Prime
NetFlix (a borrowed password lol)
a Roku TV
I've had CBS All Access a few times when they give me a free trial.

Have not needed anything else at this point. When a clear alternative gets us all the Indians/Cavs games that cable has we might cut that cord, but we pretty much have to keep Spectrum for HIGH SPEED internet right now..
I am ditching cable after the NFL season. Spectrum is the only game in town where I live and with the trees I cannot get any dish. Researching what I would like to get but the disney plus, hulu, espn plus is the frontrunner right now.

There is literally nothing I make sure and watch other than the NFL so it is stupid to keep paying this.
A number of years ago I went TV/NET free from the end of the NFL through the start of the next season. After about a week I didnt notice it. There were times early on when you just are programmed to walk in, turn the TV on and plop on the couch.

Did get a lot more done around the house and more miles runnning that summer!

I pulled the cord for literally 3 minutes, Spectrum finally budged and knocked 40% off to keep me for another year stating I now qualify for a promotional plan.....

I pulled the cord for literally 3 minutes, Spectrum finally budged and knocked 40% off to keep me for another year stating I now qualify for a promotional plan.....
I tried. Wonder if they know the areas well enough to know I have zero cable options.. no way they know I cannot do a dish though. I even gave them a date to shut it off this nking that would work

I tried. Wonder if they know the areas well enough to know I have zero cable options.. no way they know I cannot do a dish though. I even gave them a date to shut it off this nking that would work

It took me 3 times before they budged. They asked why I was cancelling and I said price plus some channels I watch are no longer available. They countered by taking off 40% to keep me.... I guess it comes down to who you get on the line.

I made yet another cut last night. Installed an antenna and cut YoutubeTV and signed up for Sling Orange. The antenna gets me all of the major networks and Sling Orange gets me ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3 so I should be good. I paid up front for 3 months of Sling so I got a free Google Nest Hub out of it. Now if I wasn't limited to Spectrum Internet I would be content.

I made yet another cut last night. Installed an antenna and cut YoutubeTV and signed up for Sling Orange. The antenna gets me all of the major networks and Sling Orange gets me ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3 so I should be good. I paid up front for 3 months of Sling so I got a free Google Nest Hub out of it. Now if I wasn't limited to Spectrum Internet I would be content.
Why did you get rid of YouTube TV? Just curious as I was looking to cut my cable and go that route after the New Year. Everyone I've talked to says YouTube TV is the way to go? Not for you or you found something better/cheaper with Sling and the antenna?

Why did you get rid of YouTube TV? Just curious as I was looking to cut my cable and go that route after the New Year. Everyone I've talked to says YouTube TV is the way to go? Not for you or you found something better/cheaper with Sling and the antenna?

I actually liked YoutubeTV. It was a good product. I was looking to save money. It looks like YoutubeTV will be going up to $60 in the near future. Sling Orange is $30. If you want full coverage, YoutubeTV is superior to ATT TVNow.

Last edited:

Antenna is the first thing everyone should do if they are looking to cut the cord. It gives you the basics and then some plus a lot of major sporting events for no month-to-month costs... Also no delay like with streaming & if you haven't had an antenna in awhile you'll be stunned by picture quality...

It's a bummer Sling is now up to $30. Still best way to get ESPN that I've found (assuming you aren't into piracy...)

So far so good with the antenna. Getting some channels I didn't expect and not getting some I did expect. In the end, I am getting ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW and PBS, so I am in good shape and should be able to get all of the sports I need with the antenna and Sling Orange. I am east of Akron and best of the signals are coming from the Youngstown area rather than Cleveland.

For what it's worth, I am using a Clearstream 2Max antenna.

I finally cut the cord. Went with Youtube TV and really like it thus far. Sounds like an antenna and Sling might be the best option moving forward?

I have Spectrum, NFLX, and AMZN Prime, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go.
There is way too much going on right now, it’s chaotic. I was excited to hear Reno 911 was coming back, but then I hears it would be on Quibbi. I’d never even heard of Quibbi until I saw that article. Also, it seems not all HBO customers will have HBO Max, which is totally ridiculous.
There’s too much fragmentation and all of these services opening up within a yr of each other just adds to the chaos

I finally cut the cord. Went with Youtube TV and really like it thus far. Sounds like an antenna and Sling might be the best option moving forward?

I'm not sold on Sling completely, other than the price and the ESPN. Plus, I get A & E and History Channels, along with HGTV and Food Channel for the wife. The ATT TVNow and Youtube TV interfaces are better than Sling. Surprised at how well the antenna is working out. Feel free to PM with with any questions.

Last edited:
I believe you can bundle them for like $14 a month

IDK if it’s worth it. ESPN+ doesn’t offer much, and Hulu doesn’t really have anything that would peak my interest enough to spend $14/month.
There’s a lot of garbage on NFLX, but their good content is high end. I’ve been a Prime member long before Prime Video even had original content. However, Prime probably has the 2nd best platform for original content after NFLX.

IDK if it’s worth it. ESPN+ doesn’t offer much, and Hulu doesn’t really have anything that would peak my interest enough to spend $14/month.
There’s a lot of garbage on NFLX, but their good content is high end. I’ve been a Prime member long before Prime Video even had original content. However, Prime probably has the 2nd best platform for original content after NFLX.
The majority of content on ESPN+ is low end college basketball/football and women's/niche sports. The AAC is going to have a lot of their games on ESPN+ in the future, but until that happens there's no way I'm paying like 8 bucks a month for that.

Prime is much better for movies if you don't mind paying a few bucks for some of them. I've mostly given up looking for movies on Netflix because their selection is so poor.

The majority of content on ESPN+ is low end college basketball/football and women's/niche sports. The AAC is going to have a lot of their games on ESPN+ in the future, but until that happens there's no way I'm paying like 8 bucks a month for that.

Prime is much better for movies if you don't mind paying a few bucks for some of them. I've mostly given up looking for movies on Netflix because their selection is so poor.

I've got ESPN+ because the MAC has a streaming deal with them... Unless you've got a specific team you're looking to watch, it's not worth paying for...

I’ve been meaning to watch the Peyton Manning show