Glen Oak

The OHSAA ruled they didn't meet any of the transfer requirement exemptions, according to the Canton Rep article. For the OHSAA to say they didn't meet the transfer requirements there must have really been nothing to the story.

The independent lawyers who looked at it thought very differently Doc... and this is far from over from what was said in the article. The OHSAA knows that this would open a pandora's box of 'my coach is "abusive"' transfer requests so the fact they denied it initially isn't surprising.

The independent lawyers who looked at it thought very differently Doc... and this is far from over from what was said in the article. The OHSAA knows that this would open a pandora's box of 'my coach is "abusive"' transfer requests so the fact they denied it initially isn't surprising.
I think OHSAA will overturn after the appeal. Let the kids play!!!

Has anyone heard anything? I'm guessing if the parents have even the slightest case the courts will over turn it. The parents case would have to be pretty bad not to be overturned, because the OHSAA never seems to win in court. Good Luck All

The OHSAA appeal was denied but that was expected. I'd imagine there will be actual court action/legal action next.

Crazy parents just getting worse. I will admit I'm bias, I'm married to a teacher. The stories my wife tells me about parents makes me shake my head. Now parents are wasting courts time and tax payer money.

While there are crazy parents out there, let's stop acting like the blame falls entirely on them every time. I know Hoover people will support Paul in every case, but a third party analysis of this situation found he/his staff were out of line multiple times. It's a sad situation all around.

It is a sad situation. And after talking to some STA people it's not a good situation for them either. Many of their sports with influx of students who didn't go to Catholic elementary. I'm not talking just about girls basketball. I didn't realize how many new student Athletes STA got in all their sports. Some of the families who have gone there for a while aren't happy. But that happens everywhere. Good Luck All

Why is going to a Catholic elementary a requirement to attend a Catholic HS? How ridiculous of a statement. FIrst, the schools have been struggling to keep up #'s, so any influx helps keep the doors open. Second, a big part of these schools' mission is to help students achieve academic, personal, and spiritual growth that they wouldn't otherwise. This isn't about sports, it's about helping kids who will do better in the environment at these schools versus their home district.

From my personal experience, Wackerly has always been an arrogant, do-whatever-it-takes-to-win, elitist. But i'll save those stores for another time.

My question is simple. If the coach was so bad their freshman year ,which was stated in court, why as parents would you allow your daughters to be submitted to the bullying and harassment for three years??

Sully80,. Good point, so for 3 years it was Ok. Didn't One father of the 3 girls coached on the Varsity for 2 or 3 years and was fine with it???
This didn't become an issue till the middle of June their senior year. So what changed to make this an issue???

"The students said they had participated in the complaint and investigation in hopes Wackerly would be fired."
"The mothers testified after Wackerly was allowed to remain coach following the investigation, their daughters decided they no longer wanted to play basketball at GlenOak."

Its interesting because the bullying rule is actually intended to mean that the bullying you are experiencing precludes you from being able to attend school and be successful in your education (because technically you are not allowed to transfer for sports, even though we know everyone does they just don't admit it). By nature of what they are admitting in court, their entire problem with staying at Glen Oak lies with the coach of their extracurricular activity, which is an opt in after school hours only part of your high school experience. So by the letter of the rule, they don't qualify to meet the exemption and the OHSAA was right to deny. Obviously when we look at it from a parent perspective or whatever we may conclude differently, but if the court's purpose is merely to disassociate and rule on whether the OHSAA had acted against the bylaws in denying the exemption, then it would be hard to see how the OHSAA loses this one (agreed that they do seem to always lose in court though, which is probably why parents with easy ability to bring litigation choose to keep appealing higher).

My question is simple. If the coach was so bad their freshman year ,which was stated in court, why as parents would you allow your daughters to be submitted to the bullying and harassment for three years??

Great question. No good answers so far.

If they were so wounded, maybe the best thing is to have the year off for therapy, etc.

BTW - current and former players have reached out to the Rep via email and supported Coach wackerly and said that the charges were inaccurate.

Last edited:
The actual court case isn't about if Wackerly was a "bully"; it's about if they can use "bullying" as their reason for transferring. The "bullying" for a transer has to be student-to-student as it is currently written.

The kids have grown up with their set of friends playing together since 2nd and 3rd grade. You think it was an easy decision for them to leave that? Just because kids don't leave doesn't mean they are 100% happy and everything is hunky dory. I can tell you from being around the kids' parents (these 3 and ones still there/alumni) that this was an on-going issue on some level. Clearly it reached a breaking point where the kids happiness/mental health had to take precedence. They're fresh off a state tourney run and had a good chance of going back. I can't believe people actually believe it wasn't that bad if the kids left THAT.

So it was so bad on so many levels, yet the majority stayed. So we are to presume that they are gluttons for punishment, stuck in some dysfunctional cycle leaving them so abused and damaged they can't find a way out. That's pretty insulting to the kids who stayed and their parents.

The question still unanswered - if it was so bad, why did it take 3 years in some cases for the parents and kids to move?

Last edited:
So it was so bad on so many levels, yet the majority stayed. So we are to presume that they are gluttons for punishment, stuck in some dysfunctional cycle leaving them so abused and damaged they can't find a way out. That's pretty insulting to the kids who stayed and their parents.

The question still unanswered - if it was so bad, why did it take 3 years in some cases for the parents and kids to move?
The ONLY reason it was sooooo bad is the one father was no way going to get to be on the coaching staff again after messy divorce proceedings turned him into a drunken mess. Then the daughter was being removed from point guard for a better player. The father turned this into nothing more than a witch hunt and the other two blind sheep followed. You could go to WHBC website and search where than less than a year ago one of the players that transferred was lauding Paul on how tough he was and he was the greatest coach and they were very blessed to have him as their coach and how lucky Glenoak was to have him. Don’t be fooled by other posters propaganda.

My personal experience with Wackerly was from back in the late 90's when he was at Hoover and Wooster's girls were steamrolling the FL every year. He brought in 2-3 transfers only to get beat by Wooster 3 times in 1998/99. He shows up for the District Championship game between Wooster/Massillon and sits on the Wooster side, and continuously throughout the game got up to cheer heavily for Massillon. His comments were cocky/arrogant and intended to start a situation that wasn't needed. I also was at a Hoover game where his PG (from Alliance), got ejected for repeatedly kicking a girl on the other team in the stomach repeatedly. He stood up in the coaching box and clapped. Dude has always rubbed me as being a jerk and antagonizer.

My personal experience with Wackerly was from back in the late 90's when he was at Hoover and Wooster's girls were steamrolling the FL every year. He brought in 2-3 transfers only to get beat by Wooster 3 times in 1998/99. He shows up for the District Championship game between Wooster/Massillon and sits on the Wooster side, and continuously throughout the game got up to cheer heavily for Massillon. His comments were cocky/arrogant and intended to start a situation that wasn't needed. I also was at a Hoover game where his PG (from Alliance), got ejected for repeatedly kicking a girl on the other team in the stomach repeatedly. He stood up in the coaching box and clapped. Dude has always rubbed me as being a jerk and antagonizer.
Mr General-Don’t know anything about that situation. Im sticking to the facts of which I know very well about the case going on now.

Wel
The ONLY reason it was sooooo bad is the one father was no way going to get to be on the coaching staff again after messy divorce proceedings turned him into a drunken mess. Then the daughter was being removed from point guard for a better player. The father turned this into nothing more than a witch hunt and the other two blind sheep followed. You could go to WHBC website and search where than less than a year ago one of the players that transferred was lauding Paul on how tough he was and he was the greatest coach and they were very blessed to have him as their coach and how lucky Glenoak was to have him. Don’t be fooled by other posters propaganda.

Welcome to Yappi, seems like you have an axe to grind against a parent when the real issue is with the Smith girl, who the court case is listed under. Why is no one focused on the fact that the Board found two of the claims violate their policy on bullying? If a teacher did that, they would be fired immediately. We act like all this is false claims and blasting these girls, but the GO board disciplined him.
As for the video....you really think that was the time and place for a 16-18 year old girl to call out the person who has been abusive? On camera? Come on man, you could ask the same thing about thousands of people in abusive relationships every year who are asked “why didn’t you speak up?”

People on Wackerly's side will never see the truth... that while there are many admirable qualities about his history and current status as a coach, he very clearly stepped way over the line in some things that were said and done. This narrative trying to throw one specific parent under the bus just doesn't hold water since literally every other parent involved plus alumni parents whose children had similar experiences have said the same things these few have. Kudos to the parents and kids for taking their mental health seriously and putting it first above and beyond just enduring/surviving mistreatment. They took the chance of losing half their senior year in doing so and gave up a senior season at the school they grew up in with teammates they had played with for years. To make light of this and act like there's some crazy ulterior motive is unfair to the kids. As Branch79 said, the third party counsel found serious issues here and he was lucky to keep his job at all. Being coached hard (what was said in the video) is not what is at question here.... there are a lot of 'hard' coaches out there. There are lines you don't cross and telling a kid you're going to reach up through their a** and rip their heart out is definitely one of them.