Division I State Semifinal: Elder (11-2) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Elder by 15+

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Elder by 8-14

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Elder by 1-7

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Springfield by 8-14

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Springfield by 14+

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who effing cares where the game is. Show up, support your team and stop the b*tching. May the better team win so nobody can use the location of the game as an excuse.
Who was the Elder guy that threw a fit because the seats weren't wiped clean at a playoff venue? It was around 15 years ago. Ruppdog maybe?

Go Elder!

I am an Elder fan and will drive across the state to watch Elder beat this team and go to the state championship final game and watch the D put the game away!!
I'll be there, too, but plenty of people will decide to stay home or watch the game from PHC or Champions since it's such a far drive compared to other places it could have been.

What most forget is these sites have to be willing to host. If you dont know for a fact that schools like Springboro, Centerville etc asked to host, then stop bringing them up. If they aren't willing to host it's a moot point.

I'll be there, too, but plenty of people will decide to stay home or watch the game from PHC or Champions since it's such a far drive compared to other places it could have been.

And this is really what it's all about. Elder will bring more fans than the opponent. But because the game is farther away, there will be plenty that stay at home, especially with the ability to watch it on tv and the OHSAA will miss out on a bundle in ticket sales as a result.

Some Elder fans do sound ridiculous when they complain about the location every week. I'm just thrilled they are still playing here in the 2nd to last week of the season. And I would absolutely be in attendance on Friday, if it weren't my daughter's birthday. Elder will still be 5k+ in Piqua come Friday night.

Last edited:
Good grief this thread is still about where the game is? Just be glad you're one of the last 28 teams still playing.

Though I think there is some validity in complaining about the location here, whining about neutral sites seems to be a long-held tradition for some Elder fans, whether it's travel distance, stadium size and/or amenities, or the infamous "they didn't clean the snow off of my seat".

IIRC, back in the Brady Quinn days at Dublin Coffman they were to play at Welcome Stadium in a state semifinal, but due to the "it's not big enough for our following" Elder whining the OHSAA flew the double birds and moved that game to Crew Stadium.

Elder fans did that and the game was at Mason. Please just stop with the constant crying about location. It takes about an hour 20 to get there and is a great location to watch a game.

A partial summary of the complaints....

- People complaining about site choice without having any real knowledge of why the choices were made.
- People suggesting locations where the games should be played without facts supporting that suggestion.
- The OHSAA is greedy if they play the games in a larger venue that is further away
- The OHSAA the should play the games in smaller venues. (totally opposite of them "being greedy")
- The OHSAA wants smaller locations so they can make more money from on-line viewership (never mind they have no idea how much money they make on those viewing)
- They want "their team" to be able to play three weeks in a row at a venue (but would scream if it was their opponent with that set up)
- They complained for the prior two weeks about playing at that same venue
- OHSAA never does anything for SWO (never mind one SWO team has played three games traveling a total of 9 miles)
- Venue is too windy
- Venue is too small (but didn't sell out...multiple locations)
- Two teams driving north is unfair
- Traffic
- Parking

What else did I miss?

IIRC, back in the Brady Quinn days at Dublin Coffman they were to play at Welcome Stadium in a state semifinal, but due to the "it's not big enough for our following" Elder whining the OHSAA flew the double birds and moved that game to Crew Stadium.
The week prior for the 2002 Region 4 final, Elder pre-sold 15,000 tickets which alone exceeded the 11,000 seat capacity of Welcome Stadium. Elder ended up out drawing Findlay at Crew Stadium and won the game. A similar thing happened the following year when Elder played Dublin Scioto. OHSAA had to move the game from Welcome to Crew to accommodate all the fans who wanted to attend.

As GWOC/WOL championship teams historically go (usually Centerville or Wayne), Springfield is pretty average. For them, the good news is that as GCL teams historically go (Moeller, St. X, Elder, etc.), so is Elder.
Because of this, this game should be competitive.
Springfield is just good enough and just enough under the historic radar to have a chance. In otherwords, Elder will not be suspecting a dynamo in Springfield and this will be to Springfield's advantage...
That all said...Elder's schedule (lots of tough wins) should allow them to weather whatever storm Springfield can muster and win the game.
Elder 20, Springfield 14.

If you dont know for a fact that schools like Springboro, Centerville etc asked to host, then stop bringing them up.
That's such a lazy, cheap cop out and of course it's the one the OHSAA gives year after year. Are we really to believe the staff at the OHSAA is so overworked they can't send out an email to the ADs/principals of schools like Springboro, Miamisburg, Centerville, or Middletown to ask if they're willing to host? The OHSAA had a week's notice that a school from western Hamilton County was going to win Region 4. They didn't know whether a Dayton area school or a Columbus area school would win Region 2 so they could have had two contingency plans.

I could be totally wrong. Maybe the OHSAA works the phones and computers weeks ahead of time to try to line up sites that will best accommodate potential future matchups, but since the same sites are chosen year after year it certainly doesn't seem the way. All the OHSAA has to do is communicate the information about which schools asked the OHSAA and which schools the OHSAA contacted.

No one is saying the OHSAA can or should try to force schools to host games.

That's such a lazy, cheap cop out and of course it's the one the OHSAA gives year after year. Are we really to believe the staff at the OHSAA is so overworked they can't send out an email to the ADs/principals of schools like Springboro, Miamisburg, Centerville, or Middletown to ask if they're willing to host? The OHSAA had a week's notice that a school from western Hamilton County was going to win Region 4. They didn't know whether a Dayton area school or a Columbus area school would win Region 2 so they could have had two contingency plans.

I could be totally wrong. Maybe the OHSAA works the phones and computers weeks ahead of time to try to line up sites that will best accommodate potential future matchups, but since the same sites are chosen year after year it certainly doesn't seem the way. All the OHSAA has to do is communicate the information about which schools asked the OHSAA and which schools the OHSAA contacted.

There was an article with the AD from Uniontown Lake (who hosts a lot) on how hosting works. Maybe you should read it.

Just spit balling, but I don’t think ohsaa gives a s%*#t what anybody thinks about the game location.
We played TCC at Findlay in a state semifinal!!!! You mean to tell me there wasn’t at least one better location? We also played a state semifinal at Northmont, LMAO that field is like 10mins from my house. I just don’t think they care, as long as the game is played they seem to be ok with their decisions. Piqua is an old GWOC staple and it’s confines will feel like home for the Cats. The remaining GWOC brethren will prevail against their catholic counterparts, and represent the shield at the Hall in two weeks!!!

RAMNATION ALMIGHTY

After all of these years do any of you really think OHSAA cares? I gave up believing they would do what's best for the schools involved a long time ago.

It's Thanksgiving weekend for this coming State Semi weekend. If you think every school has submitted to host (ask for families to VOLUNTEER their time on a holiday weekend when their kid or school isn't involved) is purely not thinking it through. Venues will be limited.

A few of the sites that do get chosen repeatedly have quite a bit of pride in showcasing their facilities, and bringing outside schools and visitors in to their communities. They continue to plan and prepare to host each week/year. (in other words, you can count on them to do things right)
Sidney, Piqua and Wapak in my area come to mind.

I rarely hear this complaints from 1st time schools, or schools that rarely go this deep in the playoffs. They are happy to be there, and enjoy the teams journey, no matter where that takes them.

Now back to what matters most: THE GAME!!!

How is Springfields offense? They seemed to have put up decent numbers in the regular season but I don’t know much about the level of their competition. I know they also only put up 7 last week. Was DC defense that good? Did they play sloppy, miss opportunities? Are they fast? Athletic? Etc...

Though I think there is some validity in complaining about the location here, whining about neutral sites seems to be a long-held tradition for some Elder fans, whether it's travel distance, stadium size and/or amenities, or the infamous "they didn't clean the snow off of my seat".

Actually it was Elder the requested the game be moved from Welcome to Crew. Elder cared more about getting their fans into see the game than where it was located. Elder played Findlay at Crew in 2002 and Sciota in 2003. I remember in 2003 a cop asking me if anyone was left back in Cincy because so many people were there. Elder traveled about 100 miles and brought about 12,000 people. Sciota traveled about 10 miles and brought maybe 1000.

It's Thanksgiving weekend for this coming State Semi weekend. If you think every school has submitted to host (ask for families to VOLUNTEER their time on a holiday weekend when their kid or school isn't involved) is purely not thinking it through. Venues will be limited.
That depends. I know that Mason had parents of other sports team volunteer to work the last two weeks. When they volunteered their sports teams received some kick backs for working. So with any budgets being so tight right now, Yes, if you offer the correct rewards, people will volunteer.

That depends. I know that Mason had parents of other sports team volunteer to work the last two weeks. When they volunteered their sports teams received some kick backs for working. So with any budgets being so tight right now, Yes, if you offer the correct rewards, people will volunteer.

That happens all over the state.

For one example, there's a school in the Northeast District that has hosted games for as long as I can recall. The team parents from the other sports take care of a pregame and post game buffet for officials.

Volunteers from all the school's sports are involved in these playoff games. (heck, many times they are involved heavily during regular season games as well)

Last edited:
Maybe the OHSAA works the phones and computers weeks ahead of time to try to line up sites that will best accommodate potential future matchups, but since the same sites are chosen year after year it certainly doesn't seem the way.

Believe me, they do.

There are perennial sites out there and there's a reason for that. Piqua is a perfect example. They have hosted all types of playoff contests over the years for many reasons.... 8200 seats, ease of access from I-75, the amount of volunteers, and most important... they are damn good at it.. (and I'm not naive to think that someone will gripe about the facility after Friday night)

All the OHSAA has to do is communicate the information about which schools asked the OHSAA and which schools the OHSAA contacted.

They have no more obligation to communicate this information to the public than they do telling the public how they choose the venues they use for each preseason sport specific meeting.

But they do criticize them freely for not using venues without any knowledge if the venue has been offered.

As an elder fan I wish the other elder fans would stop crying about traveling. It’s An embarrassing look for the school. Either travel and go to the game or stay home. I wish we’d actually talk more about the game rather than how much of an inconvenience it is for people to travel on a day that a majority of us are off work anyways.

ha. i thought OSP was chiming in on this thread but no sight of him. this thread is a trainwreck. just be happy your playing. some of you were biotching about mason a couple weeks ago too. elder is still playing......the game could be at spinney field. who cares? i don't see springfield fans worrying about the game location.'

jtk
()

I just hope Spfld plays to win the game. When they play not to lose, they are vulnerable. Play calling will be key for Spfld to win. I know they have the talent to do it, will the OC have that type of confidence? Who knows. Good luck.

At this point any true fan of either team cares where the game is to played, is there a preference of course. Game will still be played on Friday night at 7 in Piqua. I look forward to seeing a great crowd for both teams. As afar as the Cats supposedly not playing anybody, well in any sport if you get this far then your pretty good and battle tested. GO CATS, one time for the CITY!!!