Benedictine 2019

I believe the QB and a couple of the fast WR’s return next season? That’s a good start toward another playoff season.

Very nice of you to say Bennyman and the ADULT thing to say as well ,unlike some juveniles. The Benedictine football team has nothing to be ashamed of .They lost to a very well coached team regardless if they had backups. When you have a school of that size and the recent success of there program they are going to have a very deep roster. Thanks for everyone's ( almost everyone) support and we look forward to next years team.... almost 50 returnees.

Benedictine can make a State Title run next season. Just need a few pieces on defense. I expect both offense and defensive linemen to be bigger and stronger as well. Great things ahead .
Now , on to basketball. What does anyone know about the varsity team . We lost some key players . Any transfers (coming in) ? How’s London Maiden progressing?

Congrats to Benedictine on a very good year. I try and not post too much because I'm very close to the Avon program. Not a coach. lol Although my daughter did marry one. I'm well aware of your history and also the hard times you have fallen on recently. I get competitive balance but do not like it when any program plays up 2 divisions. I thought your kids played with a lot of heart it's just that Avon is very good. Talked to a lot of your kids after the game and they were very respectful. To there credit they never quit and they easily could have. Your coach has the program headed in the right direction. Good luck to you in the future.

Congrats to Benedictine on a very good year. I try and not post too much because I'm very close to the Avon program. Not a coach. lol Although my daughter did marry one. I'm well aware of your history and also the hard times you have fallen on recently. I get competitive balance but do not like it when any program plays up 2 divisions. I thought your kids played with a lot of heart it's just that Avon is very good. Talked to a lot of your kids after the game and they were very respectful. To there credit they never quit and they easily could have. Your coach has the program headed in the right direction. Good luck to you in the future.
My friend from Avon told me , in a nice way , that if we have trouble stopping the run , Avon would have no problem. Well, we couldn’t stop the run. Avon has a heck of a team and depth.
Avon Vs Avon Lake should be a good one .

Benedictine can make a State Title run next season. Just need a few pieces on defense. I expect both offense and defensive linemen to be bigger and stronger as well. Great things ahead .
Now , on to basketball. What does anyone know about the varsity team . We lost some key players . Any transfers (coming in) ? How’s London Maiden progressing?
Iij No transfers in. London is playing very well and is about 6'8" . Dietrich is another super soph. Buckner and Scoop are senior guards. A very tough schedule as well.

Wow! What a season! Go back to the posts from August. Many including some longtime, pragmatic, posters had this team at 6-4 or 7-3 at best! Not sure anyone was saying 9-1 with 2 round playoff game! Well done to the Bengals and coaching staff!

Several key positions stepped up. Jalen Edwards made huge strides from sharing time as a Jr. to becoming a feature back that was one of the best in the 4 county area! The big question of "filling Nick Demchuk's shoes" was answered with Schultz having one of the better seasons for a QB at Benny. Matthew Stauffer & Angelo Lott came in an played great defense. The offensive line continues to develop and were dominant much of the season. Charles Rosser was the obvious star, and consitent mis-match for every team played. Christopher Gales also showed games of brillance. The line backers Gary Merrill and Terrance Hollan were studs at the LB position.

Next season already looks to be very promising...the offense will have returning QB Schultz, Receivers Gales, Lott, and next star Marv Conklin, the entire O-line returns with added depth from McDonnell stepping in to play, the RB job should be handled by Merrill & cast of others in the mix On Defense- the D-line will be anchored by Jolly, Grigor, Bama, and newcomer Tex. The LB crew of Merrill, Hollan, and the promising rising Jr. Derrel Benningfeld will be a force. The defensive backfield will be an experience group with Gales, Rogers, Marv, & Lott!

Unlike past years, the off-season questions and areas to address will not include a ton: 1) How will the coaching staff address the defensive issues? Having multiple games of giving up 350+ yard rushing is major concern. We have the players. 2) Who will step up to fill the RB position, there are plenty of candidates but the question of playing both ways and adding that needed weapon will need to be addressed. 3) The rising Jr.'s bring some promise, Conkle, Benningfield, Patterson, McDonnel, Yarboro, & Burton all show great promise, how will they step-in to be next level contributors 4) Remember these 2 names "Bama" Floyd and "Tex" Cooper, both talents just scratching at the surface. Can a full off-season launch them to next level? 5) Who will be running track? If not playing another spring sport who will we see running daily? Memo from Coach Kyle (St. Ignatius) if you play football and do not participate in a Spring sport, see you at Track! No excuses here....

Finally 6) The OHSAA needs to take a close look at the competitive balance formula. It is negatively biased towards inner-city Parochial schools. The difference on Friday was evident. Avon was 2x the size & 2 divisions higher then what Benedictines enrollment would equal. Look at the information, Benedictine, Cleveland Central Catholic, and to a point Akron Hoban are impacted the most by the rule. I understand the reasoning, but a limit should be set. A reasonable solution would be to cap the CB at certain # ie. max 100 add-on or limit to only 1 division bump higher then traditional enrollment would indicate. Again, I understand the reasoning for CB but at with a couple years of data, there should be some considerations to continue to improve. This would not affect the D1 schools b/c enrollment is already so high. The smaller, inner city parocials are taking the hit. As if its not already hard enough, they get slammed with the CB....

Great season, look forward to the off-season posts, Go Bengals!

Wow! What a season! Go back to the posts from August. Many including some longtime, pragmatic, posters had this team at 6-4 or 7-3 at best! Not sure anyone was saying 9-1 with 2 round playoff game! Well done to the Bengals and coaching staff!

Several key positions stepped up. Jalen Edwards made huge strides from sharing time as a Jr. to becoming a feature back that was one of the best in the 4 county area! The big question of "filling Nick Demchuk's shoes" was answered with Schultz having one of the better seasons for a QB at Benny. Matthew Stauffer & Angelo Lott came in an played great defense. The offensive line continues to develop and were dominant much of the season. Charles Rosser was the obvious star, and consitent mis-match for every team played. Christopher Gales also showed games of brillance. The line backers Gary Merrill and Terrance Hollan were studs at the LB position.

Next season already looks to be very promising...the offense will have returning QB Schultz, Receivers Gales, Lott, and next star Marv Conklin, the entire O-line returns with added depth from McDonnell stepping in to play, the RB job should be handled by Merrill & cast of others in the mix On Defense- the D-line will be anchored by Jolly, Grigor, Bama, and newcomer Tex. The LB crew of Merrill, Hollan, and the promising rising Jr. Derrel Benningfeld will be a force. The defensive backfield will be an experience group with Gales, Rogers, Marv, & Lott!

Unlike past years, the off-season questions and areas to address will not include a ton: 1) How will the coaching staff address the defensive issues? Having multiple games of giving up 350+ yard rushing is major concern. We have the players. 2) Who will step up to fill the RB position, there are plenty of candidates but the question of playing both ways and adding that needed weapon will need to be addressed. 3) The rising Jr.'s bring some promise, Conkle, Benningfield, Patterson, McDonnel, Yarboro, & Burton all show great promise, how will they step-in to be next level contributors 4) Remember these 2 names "Bama" Floyd and "Tex" Cooper, both talents just scratching at the surface. Can a full off-season launch them to next level? 5) Who will be running track? If not playing another spring sport who will we see running daily? Memo from Coach Kyle (St. Ignatius) if you play football and do not participate in a Spring sport, see you at Track! No excuses here....

Finally 6) The OHSAA needs to take a close look at the competitive balance formula. It is negatively biased towards inner-city Parochial schools. The difference on Friday was evident. Avon was 2x the size & 2 divisions higher then what Benedictines enrollment would equal. Look at the information, Benedictine, Cleveland Central Catholic, and to a point Akron Hoban are impacted the most by the rule. I understand the reasoning, but a limit should be set. A reasonable solution would be to cap the CB at certain # ie. max 100 add-on or limit to only 1 division bump higher then traditional enrollment would indicate. Again, I understand the reasoning for CB but at with a couple years of data, there should be some considerations to continue to improve. This would not affect the D1 schools b/c enrollment is already so high. The smaller, inner city parocials are taking the hit. As if its not already hard enough, they get slammed with the CB....

What about RB Jackson from Freshmen team ? He may contribute next season ....

I agree about not bumping up more than one division over actual enrollment, but being able to draw from anywhere can be an advantage. It comes into play at some schools more than others, of course, but it's there. Avon is a closed enrollment public. Every player on that team lives within Avon, so you get what you get and coach 'em up.

What about RB Jackson from Freshmen team ? He may contribute next season ....
Great talent, future is bright, can see getting some play time but would be surprised if feature back. Had some injuries this year, another year at JV development would not hurt. RB is a tough position to play as Soph, especially with deep roster. But he can surprise all of us & be that guy!

I agree about not bumping up more than one division over actual enrollment, but being able to draw from anywhere can be an advantage. It comes into play at some schools more than others, of course, but it's there. Avon is a closed enrollment public. Every player on that team lives within Avon, so you get what you get and coach 'em up.
Most definitely! But after couple years, hope they look to see if any other adjustments should be made. Avons done a great job from youth to HS with their program. The coach recognized the opportunity and has done a great job! Having the #'s is 1st hurdle, coaching up is next. Hes done both.

Nice re-cap. I thought this team would be around 7 to 8 wins, key was the development at RB from 2018 to 2018 and having a solid QB slide in and run the offense. I think heading into 2020 similar improvement will have to be found on the defense, specifically getting better run stopping production out of the LBs and finding a replacement for FS. While the LBs pass the eye test they had trouble defensing the run game and maintaining assignment integrity, the guys on the DL also needs to help out and keep the opposing OL off the backers so they can make plays. Addressing this in the off season should be job 1 for the coaches. Speaking of the coaches this is a big year for the staff and I hope to see improvement from them on the small details about running a football team. #1 is cutting down on mental mistakes, they especially need to get the players to tighten up when it comes to the stupid penalties. Also they need to get out and continue to show the excitement in the program; get kids interested in going to Benny and being part of the football team. The schedule will probably get tougher next year, there are 3 dates open and with Padua out a tough late season slot to fill. Better get a deal with a coach bus outfit because I see the Bengals hitting the road a lot more in the upcoming seasons.

Regarding competitive balance... I am OK with moving up a Division but the 2 Divisions is tough in a sport like football where roster depth is a big advantage. Because of the current small Freshmen class I expect Benny to be in Div 3 next year which is probably a more realistic place for this program. Region 9 is no cake walk though and there are similar pubs to Brecksville and Avon waiting for them next year: Kenston, Chardon, and Aurora are all much bigger than Benny and will be waiting with larger roster. They would like nothing more than to win a Regional championship over a brand name like Benedictine.

Nice re-cap. I thought this team would be around 7 to 8 wins, key was the development at RB from 2018 to 2018 and having a solid QB slide in and run the offense. I think heading into 2020 similar improvement will have to be found on the defense, specifically getting better run stopping production out of the LBs and finding a replacement for FS. While the LBs pass the eye test they had trouble defensing the run game and maintaining assignment integrity, the guys on the DL also needs to help out and keep the opposing OL off the backers so they can make plays. Addressing this in the off season should be job 1 for the coaches. Speaking of the coaches this is a big year for the staff and I hope to see improvement from them on the small details about running a football team. #1 is cutting down on mental mistakes, they especially need to get the players to tighten up when it comes to the stupid penalties. Also they need to get out and continue to show the excitement in the program; get kids interested in going to Benny and being part of the football team. The schedule will probably get tougher next year, there are 3 dates open and with Padua out a tough late season slot to fill. Better get a deal with a coach bus outfit because I see the Bengals hitting the road a lot more in the upcoming seasons.

Regarding competitive balance... I am OK with moving up a Division but the 2 Divisions is tough in a sport like football where roster depth is a big advantage. Because of the current small Freshmen class I expect Benny to be in Div 3 next year which is probably a more realistic place for this program. Region 9 is no cake walk though and there are similar pubs to Brecksville and Avon waiting for them next year: Kenston, Chardon, and Aurora are all much bigger than Benny and will be waiting with larger roster. They would like nothing more than to win a Regional championship over a brand name like Benedictine.
Next incoming freshmen class needs be a higher number .

There are not 3 open dates. Two maybe one open dates.

On the same page...would love to see Div 3 assignment. The issue is the current Senior class, counted as the Junior class coming into the season is the smallest of all. They had like 55-60 of towards headcount. Although the Frosh class was on the smaller side...the combo of the Frosh, Soph, & Junior class will exceed even this years CB count. I don't see that happening, but am hopeful.

Rumblings Massillon and Warren Harding in the mix for 2020....not sure on 3rd....

A great start for year one of the new coaching staff. They made many strides in improvement over last year. Now it is time to build off the success and continue to improve headed into year 2. Other than needing to replace most of the receivers there will be some nice pieces for the future on this team. optimistic for the future which is more than I have been able to say the past couple years.

A great start for year one of the new coaching staff. They made many strides in improvement over last year. Now it is time to build off the success and continue to improve headed into year 2. Other than needing to replace most of the receivers there will be some nice pieces for the future on this team. optimistic for the future which is more than I have been able to say the past couple years.
Only Rosser is graduating! Gales, Lott, Conkle, Diggs, Johnson plus others all return!

On the same page...would love to see Div 3 assignment. The issue is the current Senior class, counted as the Junior class coming into the season is the smallest of all. They had like 55-60 of towards headcount. Although the Frosh class was on the smaller side...the combo of the Frosh, Soph, & Junior class will exceed even this years CB count. I don't see that happening, but am hopeful.

Rumblings Massillon and Warren Harding in the mix for 2020....not sure on 3rd....

I didn't know the class of 2020 was that small. If this is true it stinks for Benny if they stay in Div II as I see the OHSAA pushing them to Region 5 in 2020 and having to go through Hoban and Massillon to even get a regional title.

Massilon fills prep. Working on Warren Harding to fill Padua.

How sure are you on Massillon? Their fans are talking about some other options for their week 4. Also, what about the week 1 replacement for Ursuline? That should be the asiest spot to fill.