09/18 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/25 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/02 A Cincinnati Elder
10/09 H Clarkson Football North
10/16 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/24 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/30 H Louisville St. Xavier (KY)

Opponents 2019 Records
Brownsburg 7-4, Colerain 11-2, Penn 6-5, Cathedral 9-3, Moeller, 2-8, Elder 12-3, Clarkson 3-6, LaSalle 13-2, St. Ignatius 5-5, LSX 8-5

Last edited:

2020 Roster
QB: *Max Klare, Brogan McCaughey, Jack Wyche
RB: *Luke Vrsansky, Charles Kellom
WR: *Liam Clifford, *Jalen Patterson, *Andrew Britt, *Lucas Cates, Terrell McFarlin, Jimmy Ryan, Alex Kemper
TE: *Jack McGinnis, Cade Czarnecki, Joe Wassler
OL: *Cameron Collins, *Brian Parker, *Michael Whitehouse, *Jack Renneker, Jake Sizemore, Jackson Wassler, Matt Prophater, Jordan Ruther, Jack Larsen, Kyle Lamping, Robert Stineman, Broderick Koch, Robert Fogler
PK *Mason Rohmiller
DL: *Giovanni Albanese, *Sam Buerkle, Grant Lyons, Colin Poneris, LaVeall Trimble, Nick Uhl
LB: *Matt Devine, *Danny Kirk, *Marquee Cummings, Sam Kiessling, Sean Reilly, Nick Schaeper, Andrew Monzel
DB: *Dylan Overbeck, *Eli Kirk, Gavin Vogelsang, Joe Nelson, Jack Wildefeuer, Brennan Bareswilt
CB: *Gabriel DuBois, *Ryan Nolan, *Josh Anderson, Amare Leslie

*varsity experience

Last edited:
I really don't like knocking specific positions or players, but the X secondary needs to improve. I know that our pass defense wasn't great for most of season, but it was painful to watch against Elder.

Speaking of improvements, I was really impressed by how the sophomore FOOLS came into their own toward the end of the season. (Just watch the snap counts please!)

2020 Schedule (Tentative)
09/04 Open
09/11 H Cincinnati Colerain
09/18 H Penn High School (Mishawaka IN)
09/25 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
10/02 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/09 A Cincinnati Elder
10/16 H Clarkson Football North
10/23 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/31 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
11/06 H Louisville St. Xavier (KY)

Opponents 2019 Records
Colerain 11-1, Penn 6-5, Cathedral 9-3, Moeller, 2-8, Elder 10-2, Clarkson 3-6, LaSalle 10-2, St. Ignatius 5-5, LSX 8-5

The 1st Friday of the 2020 season is 8/28, a week earlier than these dates.

I really don't like knocking specific positions or players, but the X secondary needs to improve. I know that our pass defense wasn't great for most of season, but it was painful to watch against Elder.

Speaking of improvements, I was really impressed by how the sophomore FOOLS came into their own toward the end of the season. (Just watch the snap counts please!)

At the start of the season 2 year starter Wiles Dolle was at one corner and the other corner spot was shared by a pair of inexperienced sophomores, Ryan Nolan and Josh Anderson.

Nolan played QB his frosh year and Anderson I believe safety so as far as I know both had no prior experience.
Then Dolle got hurt week 2 and both were starting.
Anderson may have gotten injured shortly after and DuBois was moved from adjuster to corner where he played on JV last season.

When Dolle returned mid season he and DuBois were the starting corners for the remainder of the year.

So returning next season with varsity experience in the secondary are Eli Kirk (36 tackles and 1 INT returned 100 yards for TD vs Mason), Gabe Dubois (43 tackles and 3 INTs), Dylan Overbeck (10 tackles in 5 games, subbed for Hundley when he went out the second half of Moeller), Anderson (2 tackles in 2 games) and Nolan (8 tackles in 3 games).

Eli Kirk and classmate Marquee Cummings (LB on JV) who played special teams in both post season games (had 2 tackles vs both Mason and Elder) are 2 players that next season will be on the field and either could be at LB or in the secondary.
Other secondary players from JV are Joe Nelson, Jack Wildefeuer and Amare Leslie

Returning varsity LBs are Matt Devine (leading tackler with 99 tackles and 5.5 sacks) and Danny Kirk (15 tackles).
Other LB options besides Eli Kirk and Marquee Cummings are the best JV LBs Reilly, Monzel and Schaeper.

Even without Hundley I think the pass defense will be better next season.

The pass rush should be much better as well as sack leader NG Gio Albanese (65 tackles and 7 sacks) returns.
The JV team had a handful of good sized prospects including Sam Buerkle (who subbed for Bailey in the Elder game), Trimble, Lyons, Poneris and Uhl

Last edited:
As far as the OLine pencil in the 3 sophomores Collins (6'4" 231lb), Parker (6'4" 240lb) and Renneker (6'2" 225lb) for next year as juniors. All 3 will be well over 250lb when camp starts next year.

Others believe starting right tackle Michael Whitehouse (6'4" 220lb) will be moved to TE for his senior year but there is plenty of talent at that position in senior McGinnis, junior Czarnecki and sophomore Joe Wassler (all are 6'3"-6'4")

I would like to see next year's seniors Jack Wassler (6'7" 296lb) and Jake Sizemore (6'5" 250lb) work hard in the off season and get in next year's rotation.

The JV OLinemen Prophater, Lamping, Ruther and Stineman could be in the mix.

Coverdale has multiple options to form a stellar OLine, one that will have multiple D1 players

Last edited:
Who hands the ball off to Vrsansky (41 carries for 152 yards) and Charles Kellom and tosses it to the TE's, Clifford (77 catches for 1,180 yards), Patterson (16 catches for 128 yards), Britt (27 catches for 237 yards) and McFarlin is the biggest question.

With Coverdale as the OC and QB coach I am not as concerned as in year's past.

All 3 of last season's JV QBs are capable and the frosh QB has good size and a solid arm as well.

Klare and McGaughey were the backups to Rueve this season in that order but we have 6 months of development and Coverdale tutelage prior to 2020 camp

Last edited:
As far as the OLine pencil in the 3 sophomores Collins (6'4" 231lb), Parker (6'4" 240lb) and Renneker (6'2" 225lb) for next year as juniors. All 3 will be well over 250lb when camp starts next year.

Others believe starting right tackle Michael Whitehouse (6'4" 220lb) will be moved to TE for his senior year but there is plenty of talent at that position in senior McGinnis, junior Czarnecki and sophomore Joe Wassler (all are 6'3"-6'4")

I would like to see next year's seniors Jack Wassler (6'7" 296lb) and Jake Sizemore (6'5" 250lb) work hard in the off season and get in next year's rotation.

The JV OLinemen Prophater, Lamping, Ruther and Sizemore are in the mix.

Coverdale has multiple options
There were also 3 sophomores pulled up at the end of the year Ruther, Koch, Stineman

Who hands the ball off to Vrsansky (41 carries for 152 yards) and Charles Kellom and tosses it to the TE's, Clifford (77 catches for 1,180 yards), Patterson (16 catches for 128 yards), Britt (27 catches for 237 yards) and McFarlin is the biggest question.

All 3 of last season's JV QBs are capable and the frosh QB has good size and a solid arm as well.

Klare and McGaughey were the backups to Rueve this season in that order but we have 6 months of development and Coverdale tutelage prior to 2020 camp

Mcgaughey was the 2nd string QB, Klare was 3rd. Wyche is a distant 3rd. The other 2 QBs took the majority of the JV reps

Would Vransky really be the feature back? He really seems to small to be the feature back for a GCL team. If you take out one long run (47 yards) this year he had 40 carries for 105 yard or 2.6 yards a carry. He seems better suited as a slot receiver. Is Kellom a bigger back?

Coverdale did great things with Rueve so I agree that the QB position should be in good hands along with an experienced line. Replacing Lang will be a tough thing to do.

Getting more production from the defensive ends will be important. There was no pass rush from the D line against Elder along with a few other games I saw this year

Would Vransky really be the feature back? He really seems to small to be the feature back for a GCL team. If you take out one long run (47 yards) this year he had 40 carries for 105 yard or 2.6 yards a carry. He seems better suited as a slot receiver. Is Kellom a bigger back?

Coverdale did great things with Rueve so I agree that the QB position should be in good hands along with an experienced line. Replacing Lang will be a tough thing to do.

Getting more production from the defensive ends will be important. There was no pass rush from the D line against Elder along with a few other games I saw this year
I agree with you on Vrsansky, I see a backfield by committee next year but I think Charles Kellom(CK) due to his size 5 ft 10 around 170lbs and age 15 has more upside if he hits the weights hard in the off season. Vrsansky is already 16 yrs old and I don't see him growing a lot more. Mix in the fact that he is a stud in lacrosse which means he will not be very involved in the lifting program in the off season; I see CK as the back that may end up being the bell cow. Vrsanksy is shifty and can definitely contribute but it was quite obvious this year that Newman was the every down back because he was just stronger and could break tackles.

Don't count Vrsansky out.....he went out for 3 or 4 games and never got back to full strength IMO
He'll be back strong.

2020 Schedule (Tentative)
08/28 Open
09/04 H Cincinnati Colerain
09/11 H Penn High School (Mishawaka IN)
09/18 A Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
09/25 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/02 A Cincinnati Elder
10/09 H Clarkson Football North
10/16 A Cincinnati La Salle
10/24 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/30 H Louisville St. Xavier (KY)

Opponents 2019 Records
Colerain 11-1, Penn 6-5, Cathedral 9-3, Moeller, 2-8, Elder 10-2, Clarkson 3-6, LaSalle 10-2, St. Ignatius 5-5, LSX 8-5
Who do you think we play week 1? Maybe Brownsburg again?

I think Brownsburg was a 1 year agreement.
As far as I know Week 1 still open.
Any other Bomber Yapsters have any idea on the opponent in the opener?
I will check with those in the know before the end of the year.
The even years (2020) are better schedule-wise without the end of the year trips to Cleveland and Louisville.
Would be nice if the opener were at home, that would leave X with only 3 away games.....Lancer Stadium, the Pit and travel to Indy to play Cathedral.
Top 3 venues for past games vs Irish in Indy are Lucas Oil, Butler University and University of Indianapolis

Don’t know what jersey number on JV but I believe he was the right tackle.

#57 on JV Broderick Koch?
Not listed on any of StX rosters (Varsity, JV or freshmen) but found him on the Hudl roster.
He's listed as a junior 6'2" 220lb, so be a senior next year?

I agree with you on Vrsansky, I see a backfield by committee next year but I think Charles Kellom(CK) due to his size 5 ft 10 around 170lbs and age 15 has more upside if he hits the weights hard in the off season. Vrsansky is already 16 yrs old and I don't see him growing a lot more. Mix in the fact that he is a stud in lacrosse which means he will not be very involved in the lifting program in the off season; I see CK as the back that may end up being the bell cow. Vrsanksy is shifty and can definitely contribute but it was quite obvious this year that Newman was the every down back because he was just stronger and could break tackles.

Kellom at 5'10" and 185-190lb next year will be a machine.
On JV he showed a good combination of speed, power and vision.

With offensive weapons like Clifford, Patterson, Britt and Cates returning X will be similar to this year with 55-60% pass plays.
I think McFarlin, the top receiver on JV, will be in the rotation.
Coverdale likes utilizing the tight end (as we saw with Lang and Maier) so throw those guys (Whitehouse, McGinnis, Czarnecki and Wassler) in the mix.
Kellom and Vrsansky can catch the ball out of the backfield.
Maybe Vrsansky splits time with both Kellom in the backfield and Britt in the slot.
Vrsansky loves football too much to give it up and concentrate on lacrosse.

Mcgaughey was the 2nd string QB, Klare was 3rd. Wyche is a distant 3rd. The other 2 QBs took the majority of the JV reps

I figured Klare was 2nd since he appeared to be backing up Rueve at Varsity games.
This is without a doubt the key position to be determined for next season.
Wyche's injury set him back but hopefully he can work his way back into the discussion.
The frosh QB Fitzgerald was solid this season and has good size.

Speaking of big freshmen the OLineman Rob Fogler is already 6'6" and 260lb.
He probably shows up for camp at 6'7" 275-280lb.
X had 2 sophomores on varsity this past season and they were 6'4" 240lb

#57 on JV Broderick Koch?
Not listed on any of StX rosters (Varsity, JV or freshmen) but found him on the Hudl roster.
He's listed as a junior 6'2" 220lb, so be a senior next year?
He started at right tackle on JV this year. He’s only a sophomore but got moved up to varsity at the end of the year.

StX Hall of Fame Inductions

RB Darius Ashley and WR/PK Danny Milligan both class of 2008 and key members of the 2005 and 2007 state championship teams will be inducted into the StX hall of fame on Thursday February 6th.

https://www.stxavier.org/athletics/halloffame

Roger Bacon Sports Stag

At the Roger Bacon sports stag on Thursday January 16th Coach Specht will receive the Bron Bacevich Award

https://rogerbaconhs.worldsecuresystems.com/events/2020-01-16-sports-stag-general-admission
https://rogerbaconhs.worldsecuresystems.com/events/2020-01-16-sports-stag-vip-admission

Bomber Football players in the StX basketball program this winter
Varsity: LB Noah Taylor (6'4" 210lb Sr. Forward), QB Max Klare (6'5" 200lb Soph. Forward)
JV: FS Eli Kirk (6'1" 170lb Soph. Guard), S Amare Leslie (5'10" 150lb Soph. Guard), CB Brennan Bareswilt (6'2" 175lb Soph. Forward), CB Ryan Nolan (6'4" 175lb Soph. Forward)
Freshman: TE Joe Wassler (6'5" 180lb Forward), OL Robert Fogler (6'7" 265lb Forward), QB Kyle Fitzgerald (6'2" 180lb Forward)

Yes, Brownsburg.
A 2 year deal had been signed.
So will open the season with a 2 hour bus ride to Brownsburg IN on Friday August 28th.
Play the same 10 teams as last season with 4 road games (Week 1 Brownsburg, Week 4 Cathedral, Week 6 Elder and Week 8 LaSalle).
Brownsburg returns 3 key members of their potent passing attack in QB Ben Easters (Kansas), WR Luke Lacey (3 catches for 125 yards and 2 TDs) and Preston Terrell (Purdue, 8 catches for 88 yards).
Senior RB Brandon Burks will take over for the graduated Donny Marcus.
Defensively the Bulldogs return 2 of their leading tacklers in the game LBs Cam Keys (6 tackles) and Jalen Wilson (7 tackles and 1 sack).
Should be a great Week 1 test for the Bombers

The coaching staff is high on both McGaughey and Klare.
Klare kicked off on varsity.
Sounds like McGaughey was slightly ahead of Klare.
Suppose McGaughey wins the job, do they keep Klare (6'4" 196lb) as backup or with his athleticism and size move him to TE or DE?
His brother, dad and uncle all played in the trenches: Sam at center (Class of 17), Andy (defensive end class of 86 played at Boston College) and John (defensive tackle Class of 82 played at Georgia Tech).

Usually the Bombers play 25 to 30 players during the season on varsity.
As usual competition at camp and during the summer will be intense.
With my 2020 vision I see about 27 players plus or minus with 18 being juniors and 9 seniors.
Next year's sophomore class is talented but with the level of talent at each position in the upper 2 classes it will be next to impossible for any sophomores to see the varsity field unless......
What a change that would be from years past when 2 to 3 sophomores played at the varsity level, with last year being a 9 player anomaly.

GO X!