OHSAA - Enough with Mason!

You left out an important fact...... (easily found in the same article that talks about the rent free offer)

Even after that offer, their expenses still far outweighed the expenses that would be incurred at Mason. Given the crowd that showed up (or didn't show up) for that game, the business decision made to not play at Nippert was a wise one.

EDIT:

Sorry cinfifbfan, didn' see that you addressed the same jsut above.

Look, I don't have a problem with Mason for this game. Until proven otherwise, as much as I hate it, Nippert is probably out. Having said that, I do think the vast majority of fans would prefer Nippert and if it ever gets back to the point where a game may justify it - maybe even a Colerain - X, or Colerain - Elder Regional Final next week, I do think the OHSAA should consider it even if Mason is the easy and safe choice. I think the OHSAA has an obligation to the players and the fans even if means that they may make a few thousand dollars less.

I hear that argument all the time, but it is all hearsay until you put another game at UC. I don't know about 20,000, but I think attendance would be double what you will see at Mason. I'm shocked Elder/X representatives didn't get together to push for UC.
I'm pretty certain that NCAA banned high school games being played on college campus's a couple years ago, could be wrong, same reason all the crosstown showdown games are played at the respective high schools.

I'm pretty certain that NCAA banned high school games being played on college campus's a couple years ago, could be wrong, same reason all the crosstown showdown games are played at the respective high schools.

Still can play at those venues, just not during a dead period in recruiting. With the early signing period in December, that makes August a no go at those venues.

Last edited:
Look, I don't have a problem with Mason for this game. Until proven otherwise, as much as I hate it, Nippert is probably out. Having said that, I do think the vast majority of fans would prefer Nippert and if it ever gets back to the point where a game may justify it - maybe even a Colerain - X, or Colerain - Elder Regional Final next week, I do think the OHSAA should consider it even if Mason is the easy and safe choice. I think the OHSAA has an obligation to the players and the fans even if means that they may make a few thousand dollars less.

Have worked or watched in stadiums all over Ohio. When talking large venues, my all-time favorite is Nippert. When large crowds are present, it is the best atmosphere I've experienced.

That said, it is a business decision, nothing more nothing less. The OHSAA has an obligation to their member schools. That obligation is met by making sound financial decisions.

When 78% of your revenue is derived from the sale of tickets from the tournament contests you cannot forego your obligation to satisfy a few. Simple economics apply.

The demand does not support the decision to incur additional expenses.

The OHSAA has an obligation to their member schools. That obligation is met by making sound financial decisions.

Exactly. The member schools include the fans and players involved in the games. And all I am saying is that if the numbers are close, you don't have to go with the cheapest (or safest) option. I don't know the numbers, but I do think that this week's X-Elder game would have been a fairly "safe" game to try out Nippert again to see what would happen with respect to the final profit. Alas - they went with the safe choice.

Exactly. The member schools include the fans and players involved in the games. And all I am saying is that if the numbers are close, you don't have to go with the cheapest (or safest) option. I don't know the numbers, but I do think that this week's X-Elder game would have been a fairly "safe" game to try out Nippert again to see what would happen with respect to the final profit. Alas - they went with the safe choice.

With ticket revenue the lowest it's been in years, the only "safe" (fiscally responsible) things to do are...

1) Go the less expensive route
2) Have the ticket sales guaranteed by the schools

There's a reason why #2 won't happen

In the end.... the game is still being played 53 1/3yds x 120yds ..... have fun !

Last edited:
The PIT was plenty full against teams from out of town that brought very few fans. The round 1 playoff game was a little disappointing for Elder fans, but the cold weather and the game being live on spectrum kept a lot of fair weather fans away.

Now, I do understand I guess the OHSAA and UC don't want the games apparently. My responses are geared towards the group that don't believe Elder-X at Nippert would draw 15,000-20,000 like it used to.
The truly amazing thing to me is how PBS stadium gets even 100 people to show up given the Bengals crap record and prices to just go there. Cincinnati has some of the best H.S. football in the country, (not to mention OSU, UC, & MU) and I sit scratching my head at all the football fans who bank on the Bengals to satisfy their thirst for football...STUPID!

The truly amazing thing to me is how PBS stadium gets even 100 people to show up given the Bengals crap record and prices to just go there. Cincinnati has some of the best H.S. football in the country, (not to mention OSU, UC, & MU) and I sit scratching my head at all the football fans who bank on the Bengals to satisfy their thirst for football...STUPID!
I agree and you also have Thomas More and Mount St. Joseph that both put out a quality product. It's all in our backyard, we are spoiled in Cincy.

How do you know that until you host another Elder-X or Elder-Colerain game there? In 2009 just 10 years ago, Elder-X regional semi-final game drew upwards to 20,000.

Here are the KEY words. Nippert "GREAT" Mason "NOT GREAT"
There have been a number of discussions on this board about high school football attendance being down compared to 10 years ago. Look at the conversations on Yappi, at least when it comes to the GCL. Nothing like it was 10 years ago. There have been multiple mentions of declining attendance at Elder home games. I think there is enough evidence to suggest that Mason is large enough to hold whatever playoff crowd an Elder-St X game will generate.

Count me as one Fairfield fan who would much rather watch tonight's game at Princeton then as part of a double header at Nippert.

At Princeton there will be plenty of great seating for both fan bases with closer & better views then at Nippert. The drive for both fan bases is shorter - who wants to head to UC on a Friday evening at 6:00?

And the people at Princeton are nice as opposed to the often rude, overly officious folks working Nippert. The last thing I need is to be harassed by UC's railing police.

And I'm cool with the OHSAA making a bigger profit at Princeton & Mason then they would have at Nippert. That money does flow back to the member schools in a number of ways. And I assume when I buy refreshments tonight at Princeton one of their sports or clubs will benefit. That sure beats the outrageously priced food at Nippert.

The only valid criticism I see in the original post is the fact that Mason is another one of those wind tunnel stadiums which is can be a problem in November. But Mason is a nice stadium and from what I've seen their volunteers are very friendly and accommodating. It's near winter in Ohio unfortunately you're going to have to deal with the winds but it sure does get cold in that stadium when the winds are a blowin'!??

Princeton AD expecting 4500 tonight for Colerain-FF matchup according to Mike Dyer

McClain a gametime decision

Not sure if it was a mistake but I heard the announcer at the X/Elder game say Colerain and Elder back at Mason next Friday. Elder fans are going to be really mad.

Huge crowd tonight. Overflow fans were standing against the rails and in endzones. I saw high school kids with Lawrenceburg(IN) letterman jackets. We'll never know what kind of crowd it would have been at UC's Nippert stadium.

The infamous Atrium Stadium wind was a no-show last night; while it was cold, we've all watched the Panthers in colder weather. I'd take the same weather conditions next Friday night against the Cards in a heartbeat.