State Semifinal Scores

SirStanley

Halftime scores:
Lakota West 1, Dublin Coffman 0 (D1)
Medina 0, Anthony Wayne 0 (D1)
Alter 1, Granville 0 (D2)
Chagrin Falls 0, Mansfield Madison Comp. 0 (D2)
CCD 3, Columbus Academy 1 (D3)
Findlay Liberty-Benton 2, Kirtland 1 (D3)

Anthony Wayne beats Medina 1-0.
Lakota West up 2-1 late on Dublin Coffman. (Coffman tied game with 14 left, but West regained lead with 11 remaining.)

Can anyone who was at the game explain KD’s second goal to me? I saw it but wasn’t paying close attention to her while her teammate’s shot was being taken. Here’s what I remember:

KD got a cross off to a teammate who was open at the top of the box. KD’s momentum carried her off the field beyond the end line, with a single Coffman defender. The West player at the top of the box took the shot, which the keeper saved and deflected the ball toward KD, who came back onto the field and put it away.

Maybe not a completely accurate description but that’s what I remember. If that’s accurate, how was she not offside if she was beyond the field of play, including the keeper, even if there was a single Coffman defender with her? Or had she already reestablished her onside position before her teammate’s shot was taken?

CSC wasn't there so I cannot help as it relates to what actually happened, so there might be some other issues at play here. That said, A defender whose position off the field was not with the permission of or at the direction of the referee is deemed to be on the goal line or touch line closest to where the defender left the field and must therefore be considered as though still on the field. So that may (or may not) enter into the conversation here just info as it relates to the rule.

Can anyone who was at the game explain KD’s second goal to me? I saw it but wasn’t paying close attention to her while her teammate’s shot was being taken. Here’s what I remember:

KD got a cross off to a teammate who was open at the top of the box. KD’s momentum carried her off the field beyond the end line, with a single Coffman defender. The West player at the top of the box took the shot, which the keeper saved and deflected the ball toward KD, who came back onto the field and put it away.

Maybe not a completely accurate description but that’s what I remember. If that’s accurate, how was she not offside if she was beyond the field of play, including the keeper, even if there was a single Coffman defender with her? Or had she already reestablished her onside position before her teammate’s shot was taken?
I saw the game video several times today. The LW attacker and Coffman defender were both beyond the end line just after the cross. Both behind the keeper and all the other defenders. The teammate took the shot, which the keeper deflected, but to the LW attacker who came back onto the field of play and put her shot in the goal. The linesman ruled offsides immediately. The referee came over for discussion and seemed to be saying that the Coffman keeper played the ball rather than deflected it, and so ruled the LW attacker onside and the allowed the goal. The position of the Coffman defender past the end line was not relevant in this case because the LW attacker was behind the keeper and the rest of the Coffman players.

I saw the game video several times today. The LW attacker and Coffman defender were both beyond the end line just after the cross. Both behind the keeper and all the other defenders. The teammate took the shot, which the keeper deflected, but to the LW attacker who came back onto the field of play and put her shot in the goal. The linesman ruled offsides immediately. The referee came over for discussion and seemed to be saying that the Coffman keeper played the ball rather than deflected it, and so ruled the LW attacker onside and the allowed the goal. The position of the Coffman defender past the end line was not relevant in this case because the LW attacker was behind the keeper and the rest of the Coffman players.
Yikes. Thanks. I felt at the time that Coffman had to feel hard done by. That keeper dove to make a save - she was not playing the ball. Coffman had loads of momentum at that point and that call snatched it away. Can’t have bad calls like that at this stage. Worst part is there will be absolutely no accountability for that referee. Neither he nor the fifth official on the Coffman sideline would engage with the coach, who was rightfully outraged. No sweat off their backs though. Such a shame for a season to end on that note for Coffman.

IMO most of the refs doing the Districts through Regionals were not ready for the speed of play and made some extremely questionable calls or horrible non calls - if they won’t make a tough call they shouldn’t be reffing those types of games!!

Yikes. Thanks. I felt at the time that Coffman had to feel hard done by. That keeper dove to make a save - she was not playing the ball. Coffman had loads of momentum at that point and that call snatched it away. Can’t have bad calls like that at this stage. Worst part is there will be absolutely no accountability for that referee. Neither he nor the fifth official on the Coffman sideline would engage with the coach, who was rightfully outraged. No sweat off their backs though. Such a shame for a season to end on that note for Coffman.

If this is what actually happened, does it mean the call was incorrect?

The new rule changes this situation as the attacking player in an offside position when the ball was kicked by a teammate who gets a rebounded or deflected ball after it was deliberately played by the opponent (except from a deliberate save), is no longer offside and is not considered to have gained an advantage.

If this is what actually happened, does it mean the call was incorrect?
According to what you quoted the player should have been called offside, as the keeper made a deliberate save.

It was also brought to my attention that the AR believed the ball crossed the endline, but the center ref disagreed and allowed the goal to stand. Doesn't matter at this point, but tough for anyone's season to end like that.

IMO most of the refs doing the Districts through Regionals were not ready for the speed of play and made some extremely questionable calls or horrible non calls - if they won’t make a tough call they shouldn’t be reffing those types of games!!
I'm not a soccer guy. My daughter plays high school and I've gotten to learn the game as she has progressed. The one thing that baffles me is that soccer has only 1 ref for a 100 yard+ field. Sure there are 2 line judges that can assist, but, in my opinion, the game is too fast and the playing surface too large for 1 person to effectively manage. Varsity basketball uses 3 refs on a playing surface less than 1/4 of the size. Football has at least 3 for youth, 5 for high school, and 7 for college and pro.

In my, already acknowledged, non-expert opinion, I think the powers that be should look into increasing the number of officials per game.

According to what you quoted the player should have been called offside, as the keeper made a deliberate save.

It was also brought to my attention that the AR believed the ball crossed the endline, but the center ref disagreed and allowed the goal to stand. Doesn't matter at this point, but tough for anyone's season to end like that.

I agree, though it's assuming that the description above is indeed what happened.