CHL 2019-2020

I would think Prater or Gentry would be the 2 front runners for POY.

players to watch
Clay from Finneytown avg'ed close to 13 a game last year.

Gentry from deer park (heard the got G from Taylor as well he avg'ed 10 a game)

Bennett Weiherer from Taylor has had a great run athletically for the jackets this year (on the soccer field) he avg'ed 10 a game last year

Prater and walker from Wyoming (walker only a Junior avg'ed 13pts a game last year)

Lopez from IH still running the offense for the football team he avg'ed over 12 pts last year.

dont know much about reading per sids stats their top 7 pts scorers from varsity last year were seniors! so i am sure they will be young

same with Madeira Sam Solinski is the only guy in their top 6 last year that wasn't a senior.

I think Mariemont could be the sleeper in the league and surprise alot of teams their top 5 guys return this season! Jack Borgerding avg'ed 11pts
Lackney and megowen both avg'ed 8. i see them increasing that win total from over last year!

Wyoming first and Deer Park Elite 2nd are going to be the teams to beat. With Prater and Walker Wyoming has two legit D1 players in a league that rarely produces D1 basketball players. They also have other athletes and are well coached.

Although Deer Park Elite loses Wise (which is big) we'll have to see how good their new crop of recruits is but they should have enough new talent to keep the actual kids from Deer Park on the bench for another year until Gentry moves on. Indian Hill will also be good with Lopez, Thornton and the big guy Robinson. Mariemont's nucleus will be another year older and they should be improved, although I hear that Borgerding has a football injury - not sure how much time he'll miss. Madeira only has Solinski, Finneytown returns its 2 leading scorers in Clay and Holloway. Reading loses most of their scoring so they will be inexperienced. Taylor lost Jones to Deer Park Elite but still has Weiherer.

I watched deer park in a scrimmage Wednesday night. Very much 1 on 1 “basketball “. Lots of quickness and speed.. Not a lot of organization or team play. Very few kids with a lot of basketball skills. Maybe that is why the coach wants them to play a helter skelter type of ball to possible take advantage of their athleticism

just watched taylor V shroder

pts by qtr (i know its just a scrimmage)

taylor shroder
19 11
13 11
18 7
14 12
24 9

this was all varsity (JV was in another gym)
I watched about 5 or 6 games for taylor last year and they relied on that 3 ball alot! seems like they moved the ball around ALOT better than last year
not very big as usual but they looked decent

I would think Prater or Gentry would be the 2 front runners for POY.

players to watch
Clay from Finneytown avg'ed close to 13 a game last year.

Gentry from deer park (heard the got G from Taylor as well he avg'ed 10 a game)

Bennett Weiherer from Taylor has had a great run athletically for the jackets this year (on the soccer field) he avg'ed 10 a game last year

Prater and walker from Wyoming (walker only a Junior avg'ed 13pts a game last year)

Lopez from IH still running the offense for the football team he avg'ed over 12 pts last year.

dont know much about reading per sids stats their top 7 pts scorers from varsity last year were seniors! so i am sure they will be young

same with Madeira Sam Solinski is the only guy in their top 6 last year that wasn't a senior.

I think Mariemont could be the sleeper in the league and surprise alot of teams their top 5 guys return this season! Jack Borgerding avg'ed 11pts
Lackney and megowen both avg'ed 8. i see them increasing that win total from over last year!

Jack Borgerding is out for the year for Mariemont. Tore his ACL week 9 of football season.
Deer Park also brought in Tre Munson, who played for Roger Bacon the last two years. Deer Park is the best recruiting school in the league.

DP is not the favorite...it’s Wyoming..DP brought in bodies but no blue chippers..Munson was a bench player on a very mediocre Bacon team...losing Athie and Wise is rough...that is 40 points you need to replace..DP played crappy iso ball last year and went nowhere...Gentry is not a coach by any stretch...he is a recruiter..real coaches teach skills and concepts...he just wants his shrimpy kid to dominate d3 ?...

DP is not the favorite...it’s Wyoming..DP brought in bodies but no blue chippers..Munson was a bench player on a very mediocre Bacon team...losing Athie and Wise is rough...that is 40 points you need to replace..DP played crappy iso ball last year and went nowhere...Gentry is not a coach by any stretch...he is a recruiter..real coaches teach skills and concepts...he just wants his shrimpy kid to dominate d3 ?...

Wise is back at DP.

That’s funny...I guess the coaches at Taft expected him to work hard and actually play team basketball...time for the OHSAA to burn the rule book...no sense in having rules if some schools blatantly ignore them with no consequences

That’s funny...I guess the coaches at Taft expected him to work hard and actually play team basketball...time for the OHSAA to burn the rule book...no sense in having rules if some schools blatantly ignore them with no consequences

I'm guessing it wasn't an issue with the coaches at Taft. The OHSAA probably wasn't going to approve the transfer. I don't have any info on this, just my speculation.

I'm guessing it wasn't an issue with the coaches at Taft. The OHSAA probably wasn't going to approve the transfer. I don't have any info on this, just my speculation.
then out of my sheer ignorance...how does he "transfer back?" he spent the 1st q at taft

then out of my sheer ignorance...how does he "transfer back?" he spent the 1st q at taft
Well this gets even more confusing then. The only way that this could be happening then is if 1) his family moved back to deer park or 2) he’s gotten some type of exemption to live with someone else (Gentry? another player?) in Deer Park.
Here is a direct quote from the Enquirer article in August

Wise said his family had to move out of the deer park school district, making him ineligible to finish out his career with the wildcats.
“It was pretty tough; I cried about it,” Wise said. “Coach Gentry and coach Reggie Revels have meant a lot to me. It’s probably the best coaching staff I’ve ever had. I cried that I had to leave them. It was very tough. You have to live in the district to go to school; that’s the rules. I no longer live in the district.”

Well this gets even more confusing then. The only way that this could be happening then is if 1) his family moved back to deer park or 2) he’s gotten some type of exemption to live with someone else (Gentry? another player?) in Deer Park.
Here is a direct quote from the Enquirer article in August

Wise said his family had to move out of the deer park school district, making him ineligible to finish out his career with the wildcats.
“It was pretty tough; I cried about it,” Wise said. “Coach Gentry and coach Reggie Revels have meant a lot to me. It’s probably the best coaching staff I’ve ever had. I cried that I had to leave them. It was very tough. You have to live in the district to go to school; that’s the rules. I no longer live in the district.”

Which that story is ABSOLUTE BULL$HIT anyway...because he would have the senior exemption to finish his senior year if they move.

and he said "rules" LOL

DP has been absolute bs since the day “coach” Gentry showed up...he needed a place for his kid to play and be “the man” which wasn’t happening at Purcell (Kerr is too good an actual coach...expects good team basketball)...so bring some aau recruits and find a down and out small place to Park the traveling circus...a place desperate enough for success to actually believe what you are doing is legit..a place where an old timey basketball alumnus has DEEP pockets and is extremely well connected...then on top of that play the race card....which never gets old in the 21st century....It would be funny if Prater, Walker, Lopez, Lakney, Solinski, Weiherer and Borgerding all decided to play together lol...but the difference is those young men have integrity and enjoy representing their actual communities, families and schools. That is the real CHL.

It would be funny if Prater, Walker, Lopez, Lakney, Solinski, Weiherer and Borgerding all decided to play together lol...but the difference is those young men have integrity and enjoy representing their actual communities, families and schools. That is the real CHL.
that would actually be very fun to watch!

Weiherer's and all his younger siblings are yellow jackets through and through. His younger brother plays JV basketball too. Bennett has made himself a great HS sports career are Taylor. avg'ed close to 10 a game for 3 years on the hardwood and had 20 goals for the soccer program this year (had 12 wins most in 10+ years for the boys)

Agreed..,Bennett is a great kid and has represented Taylor with pride and class. Been watching him on the hardwood and pitch all the way through ...got to know his Father who is a great guy and fun to be around ( a Wyoming grad) . Kids like him and the others I mentioned are the true CHL...play their guts out against each then shake hands and are buddies off the court/pitch/field...not some recruited bs elite team. Our champions are real teams...including the Deer Park team from 10-12 years ago that won the league...with kids that actually grew up in Deer Park.

Agreed..,Bennett is a great kid and has represented Taylor with pride and class. Been watching him on the hardwood and pitch all the way through ...got to know his Father who is a great guy and fun to be around ( a Wyoming grad) . Kids like him and the others I mentioned are the true CHL...play their guts out against each then shake hands and are buddies off the court/pitch/field...not some recruited bs elite team. Our champions are real teams...including the Deer Park team from 10-12 years ago that won the league...with kids that actually grew up in Deer Park.
HAHA Bennett's dad is a NUT. yea he was a wyoming guy which is cool CHL in his blood!

Deer Park's AD would actually have to self-report the issues if they wanted OHSAA to do anything....

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been told by more than a few people that him and Mitch had issues...

I've heard this too. I heard wise actually practiced with Taft a couple times and didn't like the way they rolled. How is he eligible to play for another school if he actually practiced with taft??

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe practice doesn't matter... playing in a scrimmage or an actual game is what matters. Regardless, can't see Wise lasting very long anywhere in college if he doesn't like coaches pushing him.