Week 11: #5 Steubenville (6-3) @ #4 Aurora (10-0)

Who ya got?

• Total voters
Upon further review, watching the game replay, ineligible receiver call that helped stop Big Red’s final drive seems to have been imaginary. You can clearly see all five interior linemen behind the line, and formation was good. The ejection was questionable also.
20191109_083449.jpg
20191109_083429.jpg

Questionable?
20191109_083449.jpg
20191109_083429.jpg

I’ve watched a 100 big red games on tv. The announcers are very professional. But even they last night had a hard time figuring out who was the illegal man down field.
It’s plain as day on tape.
The ejection for a 50/50 late hit was egged on by the Aurora coach who seemed to spend just as much time on the field as his players crying to the refs.

It was a big play. But can’t say for sure if it mattered, just hate to see ref’s take the game out of the players hands. Who knows maybe they was cold and wanted the game to end but was a bogus blown call. Idk refs are another human factor in the game and Steubenville isn’t loved by many outside of Steubenville.

I’ve watched a 100 big red games on tv. The announcers are very professional. But even they last night had a hard time figuring out who was the illegal man down field.
It’s plain as day on tape.
The ejection for a 50/50 late hit was egged on by the Aurora coach who seemed to spend just as much time on the field as his players crying to the refs.

It was a big play. But can’t say for sure if it mattered, just hate to see ref’s take the game out of the players hands. Who knows maybe they was cold and wanted the game to end but was a bogus blown call. Idk refs are another human factor in the game and Steubenville isn’t loved by many outside of Steubenville.
You cant have one receiver covering another in formation. It had nothing to do with interior lineman. You plain lost

1. Just watched it. #20 comes in motion straight down the line of scrimmage covering #22 who then runs down field. He was covered. Good call.
2. Steubenville made 1 offensive play in the 2nd half when great rb broke a tackle at line of scrimmage and went 67 yds for a touchdown. Rest of half they did nothing. If Refs chose not to make the obvious illegal man downfield call and gave Steubenville a gift, what make you think they could have gone 40 more yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts? Hadn't done anything all half except one play.

Targeting was not a correct call by the book, no head to head aim or contact
Definitely a personal foul
If they wanted to eject him they should have made a different call
Also aurora coach on field yellinf at red players could have been called
Officials did not control a few situations in the game in the best way?
I live in aurora so have no red bias her but many years of football
Auorora bettet off game plan, poor red pass defense were the main reasons greenmen won!

1. Just watched it. #20 comes in motion straight down the line of scrimmage covering #22 who then runs down field. He was covered. Good call.
2. Steubenville made 1 offensive play in the 2nd half when great rb broke a tackle at line of scrimmage and went 67 yds for a touchdown. Rest of half they did nothing. If Refs chose not to make the obvious illegal man downfield call and gave Steubenville a gift, what make you think they could have gone 40 more yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts? Hadn't done anything all half except one play.
Any time someone is not off the los or not the end man on los yes they are not an illeble reciever but technically the consider a linemen no matter of jersey #

Any time someone is not off the los or not the end man on los yes they are not an illeble reciever but technically the consider a linemen no matter of jersey #
That penalty is the OPI, I think they butchered it and for the game deciding situation and interior receiver was off as it seemed (no replay to watch), should've been counted as off

Actually if 20 was in motion down the line, then the play should have been killed for illegal motion. It was a funky lineup and hard to determine who was on the LOS.

Targeting was not a correct call by the book, no head to head aim or contact
Definitely a personal foul
If they wanted to eject him they should have made a different call
Also aurora coach on field yellinf at red players could have been called
Officials did not control a few situations in the game in the best way?
I live in aurora so have no red bias her but many years of football
Auorora bettet off game plan, poor red pass defense were the main reasons greenmen won!
Don’t believe he was ejected for targeting. It was his 2nd personal foul, unsportsmanlike. Can’t do that.

Since he stared as an off the line reciver correct call should have beeb illegal motion then
No. You’re wrong again. Learn the rules of football if you are going to complain about officiating.

Amazing. If the stadium isn’t good enough, then the officiating isn’t good enough. Or both. Steubenville fans are fascinating. Predictable, yet still fascinating. It is no wonder why they are so reviled.

Since he stared as an off the line reciver correct call should have beeb illegal motion then
That's not how it works. From what I am reading, there doesn't appear to be anything "illegal" about the motion the receiver was in. He wasn't moving at the time of the snap. There weren't two players moving at the same time. Its not illegal motion. Its not illegal formation either because there was nothing illegal about one receiver covering up the other. BUT, once he was on the line and covered the second receiver (if that is indeed what happened) then that receiver becomes, in essence, a lineman. And if he goes downfield, then the proper call is "illegal man downfield". I can understand why the fans in the stands were confused because all of the lineman were behind the line of scrimmage. But it appears, unless I am missing something, that the ref made the correct call.

That's not how it works. From what I am reading, there doesn't appear to be anything "illegal" about the motion the receiver was in. He wasn't moving at the time of the snap. There weren't two players moving at the same time. Its not illegal motion. Its not illegal formation either because there was nothing illegal about one receiver covering up the other. BUT, once he was on the line and covered the second receiver (if that is indeed what happened) then that receiver becomes, in essence, a lineman. And if he goes downfield, then the proper call is "illegal man downfield". I can understand why the fans in the stands were confused because all of the lineman were behind the line of scrimmage. But it appears, unless I am missing something, that the ref made the correct call.
What you just described was the call the refs made. They both went down field on yhe snap. One was covered

Top receiver tells ref he’s on the ball.
bottom receiver is declared in the backfield by ref
#20 goes in motion and covers up the inside receiver.
its a good call by the ref.

Attachments

• 00D72233-A113-4EF2-84A3-4F13CD8DC350.jpeg
    00D72233-A113-4EF2-84A3-4F13CD8DC350.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 13F72BC2-1EBD-4195-98D2-58D367736C75.jpeg
    13F72BC2-1EBD-4195-98D2-58D367736C75.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 64C0A5C7-02AA-429B-AE6A-80C35ECB979D.jpeg
    64C0A5C7-02AA-429B-AE6A-80C35ECB979D.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 23
Actually if 20 was in motion down the line, then the play should have been killed for illegal motion. It was a funky lineup and hard to determine who was on the LOS.
He may have started off, and the ref called it correctly. He didn’t indicate two were off the ball. The receiver wound up “on” the line. Ref made a good call. It’s never assumed the inside guy is off. The photo at the snap shows 8 on the line.

As for Aurora coach coming on the field, I believe he correctly ran out to dispute ball spot after a Big Red penalty in the 1st half. Given the opportunity to view the Red bench anytime Aurora was in a "red zone"scoring position, half of Red's staff were better than 8 yards past the end of the box on nearly every play. Never even saw a sideline warning. Same side judge awarded a tremendously questionable late hit call against Aurora late in the game.

Overall, this group of refs just did a very poor job.

Sorry to hear that steubenville season has come to an end. A proud program with rich tradition. They'll be back next year. Massillon n steubenville need to play every year.

For all of the people complaining about the Aurora coach on the field, didn’t you notice Reno at midfield arguing the penalty on the ineligible man downfield??