2019 D2/R6

Brescksville is a tough first round match up for Benedictine, their offense is legit and they have not scored under 30 points since week 1. Benedictine does have the more balanced team, especially when you take into account the variety of weapons they have on offense, but the Bengals have struggled all year long with good dual threat QBs and that is something that Brecksville has. Labas seems to like timing routes, he stands tall in the pocket and gets rid of the ball quickly with the WRs get some good YAC as he tends to hit him them in stride. The key player for Benny will probably be FS Matt Stauffer, he will need to keep everything in front of him and not allow any HR TDs. This thing probably turns into a shoot out though because outside of Hoban the Bengals have proven they can put up big points too against some solid defenses, including a PA Div 3 state title contender in Cathedral Prep. But a shootout is not always a good thing for the favorite as so many things can go wrong when trying to keep up on the scoreboard against a team that has nothing to lose; teens have a propensity to shoot themselves in the foot when things get tough.

One other thought, I have heard a lot about the big tough lines that Brecksville has; usually this is a nice advantage in HS FB but Benny has decent size too and above average athleticism at those spots that the Bees have probably not seen during their schedule. Benny will probably press the WRs to get them out of their rhythm and if Labas has to hold the ball longer than he is use to I can see the Bengals getting some pressure. I would pay attention to the line play early on to see how this thing plays out.
I definitely favor the Bengals to get the win, but I agree with your astute observations regarding the match up with the Bees.

I would be mildly surprised if the Bengals do no get out of the region........They have to be the favorite. Decent size lines with too many athletes makes for a tough out......Though I would sure like to see a Avon vs Avon Lake rematch.....

I’m guessing Avon Lake vs Wadsworth at Brunswick or Strongsville. Avon vs Benedictine at Lakewood. But we’ll see.

Those are the 2 games I have the most interest in seeing week 12. (Avon-Bene, A.Lake vs. Wadsworth). Looking for opinions on which may end up being the better matchup/game. I am worried that Avon is just too beat up? Especially after losing their Qb on top of all the other injuries they've had all year. Starting RB, now starting QB. Will Bene roll Avon? Will Lake roll Wadsworth? Thoughts/opinions?

Those are the 2 games I have the most interest in seeing week 12. (Avon-Bene, A.Lake vs. Wadsworth). Looking for opinions on which may end up being the better matchup/game. I am worried that Avon is just too beat up? Especially after losing their Qb on top of all the other injuries they've had all year. Starting RB, now starting QB. Will Bene roll Avon? Will Lake roll Wadsworth? Thoughts/opinions?
Avon has lost a lot of players over the past few weeks, including a D1 OT, an all-Ohio RB, starting OL, starting WR, DB's, DL's...it's been crazy. Never seen such a spate of injuries at Avon. Players just keep stepping up, though. That's what Avon does. They play a lot of kids at all times, not just garbage time, so the next man up is always ready to go. Hopefully the QB, Zeh, will be ready to go on Friday.

I don't see either game being a blowout, so you're safe there.

Avon vs Benedictine should be entertaining, but if I were a neutral fan I think the Wadsworth vs AL game has the potential to be a back and forth physical game that would be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Tried to warn that one Benny fan that the Bees wouldn't just roll over. Neither will Avon, or the Wadsworth/Avon Lake winner.

That was a great game last night, the Bees offense was legit and they played hard. I give the Benny coaches some props for 2nd half adjustments and the players never quit, especially the QB after some tough TOs in the first half. Rosser had a monster game and will be a tough match up for the remaining DBs in the Region.

NY Giants OBJ made a play for Benny last night.

EI50YILWkAEoN7q

Tried to warn that one Benny fan that the Bees wouldn't just roll over. Neither will Avon, or the Wadsworth/Avon Lake winner.

Never said that anyone would roll over nor would I expect a team to do so.. I said that the only team in this region that could beat Benedictine is Benedictine. It almost happened last night. Two fumbles inside the Brecksville 30 yard line, a touchdown run of 40+ yards called back for holding and numerous personal foul penalties almost cost us the game. Yet we still won.

I want to see the Avon Lake defense vs the Wadsworth offense. Wadsworth O is the best in the region. AL's D gives up less than 7 a game. Should be a slugfest.
AL plays very good assignment football. They are not flashy. They swarm to the ball. They can be beat over the top. Their offense acts as a defense too. They keep their own D fresh with lots of long ball control drives.

Just for fun, Calpreps has:

Benedictine 35 Avon 28
Avon Lake 28 Wadsworth 21

And for potential finals:

Avon 21 Avon Lake 20
Avon 35 Wadsworth 28
Benedictine 28 Avon Lake 21
Benedictine 42 Wadsworth 28