Week 11: #6 Chardon (8-2) @ #3 Dover (7-3)

vasjr

Thoughts?

Dover coming off a very emotionally intense game beating #1 ranked NP. I've heard that Chardon likes to run run run, anyone familiar that can provide some more insight?Dover team has certainly gotten better since the big loss to Steubenville

It is always tough for Dover to put the phila game behind them,this year will be especially tough Chardon is a perennial power So if Dover is still thinking about Phila they will be in trouble.
Dover might be healthier than they have been all season if some of the limp offs from Friday are healed,might even get 1 more lineman back,Hall did not play like a sophomore and really has not since Big Red,I think he has done better than any of us expected.
To have a chance we have to protect and keep playing like the last 3 games, make sure tackles and avoid turnovers.

4 guys carry it and QB handles the ball like a 3 card Molly shark. Very important for Dover to play gaps and not get caught looking at the wizardry going on in the backfield.

DOVER fans you can go to CHARDON football at the MAXPREPS SITE and see some video of past games from this season. The are well coached in fundamentals do run most of the time ,maybe more than BIG RED.

Fun fact: Chardon coach was their dude RB when we took them to the wire in 1998 at Kent.

They run the ball great. They don’t cover passing that good. I see a shoot out coming Friday

Chardon held defending state champ with their entire offense back Kenston to 17 points. Our offense is what it is for November. Easier to go over top then through the big dogs. Excited to see how we stack up.

If this is anything like that 98 playoff game, it will be awesome. I’m glad they’re coming to us.

Chardon runs a base wing-t but, like someone mentioned before, they will run out of a variety of formations and have 3-4 guys that can be their bell cow. They will use a lot of misdirection and Dover needs to stay disciplined and keep their gap. Coaching will be huge for Dover this week trying to defend Chardon. They have a really good line this year that can matchup with anyone. Their only 2 losses came to Perry (who are the favorites to win state in D4) by a TD and Mayfield who might challenge Hoban and MW in their region in D2. They've been a bit up and down against other opponents, but from what I've seen, they will give anyone a challenge anytime. That program runs the same system from the time they're in pee wee through varsity. I don't know anything about Dover so I can't give a prediction or anything.

From a Dover perspective 1st thing they have to do this week is forget the phila game,never easy to do especially after such an emotional ending
Coach Ifft knows the T well after running it for so many years but he can’t make the plays is 5 days enough time to teach enough to avoid mental blunders on defense.
The Dover offense has been operating well for several weeks,not many turnovers either. Has Chardon played against the spread this year? How is the secondary and can you put pressure on?

Interesting fact about Chardon-Dover game. It is a rematch of 1998 first round game played at Kent State in which Chardon's head coach, Mitch Hewitt (Mr. Football Runner Up and 2 time Division 2 Defensive Player of the Year who played for Urban Meyer at Bowling Green), led the Hilltoppers to a hard fought 20-14 win over the Dan Ifft coached Dover team. Coach Ifft is still there. He has established Dover as a top notch Ohio high school football program. You don't win as many games as he has without being a great coach. Chardon, playing with its own kids and its own consistent system, has also played quality football since their first playoff appearance in 1987. By the way, coach Ifft will not be the only guy who coached in the '98 game who will also be coaching this Friday night. I will be there as well. God bless and may the Hilltoppers have a joyous ride home!

Chardon held defending state champ with their entire offense back Kenston to 17 points. Our offense is what it is for November. Easier to go over top then through the big dogs. Excited to see how we stack up.
In actuality it was 14. Kenston scored 16 but two were on a safety after they downed a punt on the one foot line. Kenston scored the first two times they had the ball in the first quarter on td passes to their go to guy - Tyler Mintz. Did not score again. Chardon rushed for 311 and out gained Kenston on offense 358 to 269. Chardon matches up better against Kenston than they do some other teams in the conference. They play in a conference full of great coaching staffs who have been together for a long time and have coached against each other for a long time. In the playoffs, a lot of times it comes down to matchups or a handful of plays. In '98, Chardon won 95% of the plays against Lebanon in the state championship game - but the handful of plays that they lost were big ones. In 2016, the Hilltoppers had their most dominant team in school history only to lose to Warren Harding on an incredibly freakish performance by Lynn Bowden - who is now busy making guys in the SEC look silly.

In actuality it was 14. Kenston scored 16 but two were on a safety after they downed a punt on the one foot line. Kenston scored the first two times they had the ball in the first quarter on td passes to their go to guy - Tyler Mintz. Did not score again. Chardon rushed for 311 and out gained Kenston on offense 358 to 269. Chardon matches up better against Kenston than they do some other teams in the conference. They play in a conference full of great coaching staffs who have been together for a long time and have coached against each other for a long time. In the playoffs, a lot of times it comes down to matchups or a handful of plays. In '98, Chardon won 95% of the plays against Lebanon in the state championship game - but the handful of plays that they lost were big ones. In 2016, the Hilltoppers had their most dominant team in school history only to lose to Warren Harding on an incredibly freakish performance by Lynn Bowden - who is now busy making guys in the SEC look silly.
Who is this Lynn Bowden guy? Lol ?

Last edited:
Funny thing. ifft is a wing T guy. He came from Massillon Perry who has Wakefield still coaching running 99% Wing T. In past years Dover has always done well playing vs the Wing T. I give that credit to Ifft on being around it for so many years.

Chardon on tape does not look near as big as that 98 team up front. One thing Dover has is speed. The lines are quick the Wr are fast. The DBs are super quick. This should be a really good matched game. I look for Dover to run the ball and mix it up. They played the perfect game vs Np. Finally got healthy at the right time.

Turn overs will be key. Can’t turn the ball over and expect to win. I like Dover’s chances in this game. That’s a long bus ride from Chardon to Dover

Load the box and stay in your lanes. Force them to beat you with the pass. Chardon is a one dimensional team. They average about 5 passes a game.

Weather definitely favors Chardon tonight. Dover should be happy that the game isnt actually in Chardon. 3-5 inches of snow there right now.

Game time temperature supposed to be 24,will likely impact attendance and be uncomfortable for fans that go but not a whole lot different for players. The turf should be a better surface than grass would have been.

I'll be there cheering for the Tornadoes!! I think this is a fantastic first round matchup of 2 great programs.

Hoping for a safe, injury free game for both teams.

Dover-Tornadoes-Logo-2.png

Sometimes the folks from Dover act like they are the only team that runs the spread offense. Chardon has seen some really good spread teams this year and found a way to win. Dover is a very effective spread team and this will be a great game. Chardon will win this game by 14.

Dover’s defense has definitely been stepping up lately. But think tonight’s game is going to be all about the offense. Hope Hall and company are feelin’ it tonight. Quick strikes through the air first to put points on the board. Then, use the run to sustain long drives, eat up clock, and keep Chardon’s offense off the field. Must be disciplined and play clean. No turnovers.

GO DOVER!

Sometimes the folks from Dover act like they are the only team that runs the spread offense. Chardon has seen some really good spread teams this year and found a way to win. Dover is a very effective spread team and this will be a great game. Chardon will win this game by 14.

Dover has gone towards a more balanced offense the last few years.