#3 (9-1) Akron Hoban vs. #6 (7-3) Alliance

Trayanum (RB)will play this week, Hobans coach has said Caden Clark (TE) is “out with an undisclosed injury and not likely to return in the playoffs.”

Losing Caden Clark is a big loss but Hoban could lose 3/4 of the starters and still beat Alliance handily.
Hoban- 49
Alliance- 6

Will be interesting to see how Hoban chooses to navigate the regional offensively with the Clark injury. He is such a huge part of their offense both in the run and pass game, there is no replacement for the mismatch he causes for high school defenses. They still have more than enough to handle Alliance and Mayfield comfortably, and no coaching staff gets their plan and players more ready for the playoffs. But to beat Massillon, their D will need to play lights out, and the oline & run game has to impose their will. If Massillon doesn't get them this year, it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

Will be interesting to see how Hoban chooses to navigate the regional offensively with the Clark injury. He is such a huge part of their offense both in the run and pass game, there is no replacement for the mismatch he causes for high school defenses. They still have more than enough to handle Alliance and Mayfield comfortably, and no coaching staff gets their plan and players more ready for the playoffs. But to beat Massillon, their D will need to play lights out, and the oline & run game has to impose their will. If Massillon doesn't get them this year, it'll be a huge missed opportunity.
??

Alliance makes the playoffs in D 2 and they played no D 2 teams....5 D 3's and 5 D 4's. This is where the changes to the playoffs need to be made. The half-point difference makes it so you do not have to play a larger school to make the playoffs...the half-point I am talking about is 6.5, 5.5, 4.5. What would have Alliance's record been if they had played Lake or Hoover's schedule? I am not saying they would get beat...what I am saying is the risk reward is not there to play a tough schedule. In the playoff scenario it is not to your advantage to play larger schools....this also comes into play for scheduling. Use Lake's situation...any team that schedules Lake stands a 50/50 chance of getting beat...then again if they beat Lake...what is the amount of wins you will get from Lake the rest of the way of the season? If you beat Lake then it could mean Lake is going to get beat in more games. Dover drops Lake because they can get beat and if they win the game they are probably not going to get a lot of computer points.

Last edited:
Alliance is at the very bottom of region 5 in number of boys with C.B. added. Their average is 18.40. If they had been d-3 region 9 as they have been for many years 18.40 wouldn't have gotten them in the playoffs. Lake's out of conference schedule has 3 d-3 teams and a d-2 team that didn't win a game, those 4 teams were 11-29 . Perhaps Lake could improve the quality of their out of conference schedule. The Federal League is what it is so that won't change.

Alliance makes the playoffs in D 2 and they played no D 2 teams....5 D 3's and 5 D 4's. This is where the changes to the playoffs need to be made. The half-point difference makes it so you do not have to play a larger school to make the playoffs...the half-point I am talking about is 6.5, 5.5, 4.5. What would have Alliance's record been if they had played Lake or Hoover's schedule? I am not saying they would get beat...what I am saying is the risk reward is not there to play a tough schedule. In the playoff scenario it is not to your advantage to play larger schools....this also comes into play for scheduling. Use Lake's situation...any team that schedules Lake stands a 50/50 chance of getting beat...then again if they beat Lake...what is the amount of wins you will get from Lake the rest of the way of the season? If you beat Lake then it could mean Lake is going to get beat in more games. Dover drops Lake because they can get beat and if they win the game they are probably not going to get a lot of computer points.

You make a great point about computer points. In Alliance's defense their schedule was made way before they knew they would be D2 (they are D2 by 1 boy). And their non-league schedule is very good and is every year for a D3 school. I will say if they remain D2 they will have to get out of the EBC eventually.

What is really interesting is if Alliance was D3 Reg 9 their 18.4 points would have put them 12th in the region and out of the playoffs. Lake would have finished 17th in Reg 9. So if Alliance has 1 less competitive balance kid they would not be playing in week 11. Pretty interesting when you look at those numbers isn't it??

Alliance is at the very bottom of region 5 in number of boys with C.B. added. Their average is 18.40. If they had been d-3 region 9 as they have been for many years 18.40 wouldn't have gotten them in the playoffs. Lake's out of conference schedule has 3 d-3 teams and a d-2 team that didn't win a game, those 4 teams were 11-29 . Perhaps Lake could improve the quality of their out of conference schedule. The Federal League is what it is so that won't change.

Add that Alliance's non league schedule was 28-12. Granted the EBC is not in the same hemisphere as the Federal league.. you can say what you want about Alliance but they play a good NC schedule.

You make a great point about computer points. In Alliance's defense their schedule was made way before they knew they would be D2 (they are D2 by 1 boy). And their non-league schedule is very good and is every year for a D3 school. I will say if they remain D2 they will have to get out of the EBC eventually.

What is really interesting is if Alliance was D3 Reg 9 their 18.4 points would have put them 12th in the region and out of the playoffs. Lake would have finished 17th in Reg 9. So if Alliance has 1 less competitive balance kid they would not be playing in week 11. Pretty interesting when you look at those numbers isn't it??

Yes you are correct that the schedules are made in advance....I am not singling Alliance....I am using them as an example on why there is no reason to schedule teams that can beat you. Lake in 2004 made the playoffs with a losing record because they beat two teams that were larger and received more computer points. The theory was schedule up...take the risk get the reward.

As far as the game goes, I really don't think Alliance has much of a chance. But they will play hard and do have athletes. To their credit it is week 11 and they are still playing..

Yes you are correct that the schedules are made in advance....I am not singling Alliance....I am using them as an example on why there is no reason to schedule teams that can beat you. Lake in 2004 made the playoffs with a losing record because they beat two teams that were larger and received more computer points. The theory was schedule up...take the risk get the reward.

I see where you are coming from. The EBC was a pretty weak D4 league this year and Alliance made the D2 playoffs.. Seems like there is hole in the system.. Once the dust settles the best teams will be standing.

Look back at what I said about the advantage disadvantage to scheduling Lake. Trying to get teams to play Lake is not an easy proposition. Copley is usually a very good team to play....good record and a good game...they have dropped Lake. This week three game is now open....currently the option is to play Avon. Play Avon and The Fed can be a brutal schedule always having to play up...that is why they should look at the half-point for teams that are in position to always having to play up. Louisville is now in this situation to having to play up. The point I am trying to make is eliminate the half-point so teams that do take on a difficult schedule there is a benefit to do this....then it is possible you will see teams play good teams, then avoid them in the regular season

Last edited:
Well said it’s a broken system

very true. even if alliance stayed d-3, they have the schedule to get in the playoffs, teams do not avoid them like a lake or louisville. both those teams have the same issue. generally, schools their size won't play them. so, they play larger schools, and if they win, chances are the larger school won't win much in the league they are in. green is another example, from louisville's perspective, it is a good game from a competition standpoint, similar communities(not to mention identical stadiums). but there is little in the way of the end game of making the playoffs from louisville's view. same with the y-town catholics, playing mooney twice and ursuline last year, both were vastly better than the typical nbc school of the last 20 years, but both were below .500 due to who they are forced to play.

alliance and marlington have the perfect situation for advancing to week 11. alliance should be willing to play lake(i think they play louisville week 9 the next two years) and marlington should be willing to play louisville, ideally week 1...

And they made that schedule 2 years ago as a D3 school and will be D3 again next year so what’s your point? They were smart enough to count there enrollment and see this was a one year deal for them and they didn’t freak out and make a schedule that would screw them for years to come?

It’s funny how everyone the past couple weeks talking about Alliance on the EBC chatter pages and after we “upset” Marlington people start pulling the “D2” card on us.

Alliance is the smallest school in D2 this year and will most likely be back in D3.

Alliance for about a decade was a middle tier program in the NBC and couldn’t beat Louisville and struggled with Marlington and West Branch.

Now Alliance has won three straight league championships, qualified for the playoffs three straight years, played a very difficult but rewarding non league scheduling with Valley powers like Canfield, Hubbard, Poland, etc. But people always want to complain about why or how Alliance is doing all of this.

It’s all because of Seth Whiting and his staff. He has changed the culture and the attitude of this program. Love hearing people complain on Facebook and Yappi about Alliance. It fuels these kids.

Now as for Friday anyone with half a brain will know the outcome of this game. But I can assure you Whiting will have those boys ready to play ball and battle for 48 minutes. This is a program building game and Alliance will learn a lot from this beating. Hoban is a complete animal

Excellent point .. are you really happy being in the federal league?

It’s funny how everyone the past couple weeks talking about Alliance on the EBC chatter pages and after we “upset” Marlington people start pulling the “D2” card on us.

Alliance is the smallest school in D2 this year and will most likely be back in D3.

Alliance for about a decade was a middle tier program in the NBC and couldn’t beat Louisville and struggled with Marlington and West Branch.

Now Alliance has won three straight league championships, qualified for the playoffs three straight years, played a very difficult but rewarding non league scheduling with Valley powers like Canfield, Hubbard, Poland, etc. But people always want to complain about why or how Alliance is doing all of this.

It’s all because of Seth Whiting and his staff. He has changed the culture and the attitude of this program. Love hearing people complain on Facebook and Yappi about Alliance. It fuels these kids.

Now as for Friday anyone with half a brain will know the outcome of this game. But I can assure you Whiting will have those boys ready to play ball and battle for 48 minutes. This is a program building game and Alliance will learn a lot from this beating. Hoban is a complete animal
First, Alliance has every right to be proud. They are in the playoffs. Second, this is an extra week of practice for the underclass men for next year. Finally, they could have easy put together an easy OOC schedule but they didn't. Maybe they could have played a federal league game but they knew there was no point. Alliance stayed in their lane, even when a few extra kids bumped them into the next division they knew who their kids should be playing. I was happy Alliance and Niles played this year, hopefully they will be playing again in the future. Old school rival game. And next year Louisville.

First, Alliance has every right to be proud. They are in the playoffs. Second, this is an extra week of practice for the underclass men for next year. Finally, they could have easy put together an easy OOC schedule but they didn't. Maybe they could have played a federal league game but they knew there was no point. Alliance stayed in their lane, even when a few extra kids bumped them into the next division they knew who their kids should be playing. I was happy Alliance and Niles played this year, hopefully they will be playing again in the future. Old school rival game. And next year Louisville.

It’s also worth mentioning whiting and his staff scrimmage both North Canton Hoover and Jackson this preseason.

Red-Lep that Niles game was frustrating for us old Alliance fans the way it ended up after we came out strong the first half. But I am glad the game is back on schedule. My opinion both schools need to make sure the game is on the schedule every year. Great environment for high school football. Looking forward to the trip to Bo Rein next year for some revenge ?

And they made that schedule 2 years ago as a D3 school and will be D3 again next year so what’s your point? They were smart enough to count there enrollment and see this was a one year deal for them and they didn’t freak out and make a schedule that would screw them for years to come?

Go back and read how I presented the situation....I am not ripping Alliance for what they accomplished....to make it simple for you I am going after the half point set up. Before they had the half-point you would get 5 points for scheduling a D 3 and 6 for a D 2....now it is 5.5 for a D 3...you get rewarded for scheduling a smaller school to play then when they had no half-point. So now you get just a half-point to schedule up to the next division....the risk reward is now to play a school smaller then you then to play a larger. Why play a D 2 school when you can play a school smaller then you and get close to as many points.

Excellent point .. are you really happy being in the federal league?

My own feeling about the Fed is that in the 90's you had New Philly, Wooster, and Timken...you would have a hard fed game and then an easy one...now with McKinley and Green you get no break from the schedule....there are great coaches in the Fed and that makes the games week after week such a grind. The Fed offers a lot of advantages...close schools, great facilities, good followings, great money from gates...my feeling with the Fed that for Lake is very difficult now and I would love to leave...but where are you going to go that offer all what the Fed offers

Look back at what I said about the advantage disadvantage to scheduling Lake. Trying to get teams to play Lake is not an easy proposition. Copley is usually a very good team to play....good record and a good game...they have dropped Lake. This week three game is now open....currently the option is to play Avon. Play Avon and The Fed can be a brutal schedule always having to play up...that is why they should look at the half-point for teams that are in position to always having to play up. Louisville is now in this situation to having to play up. The point I am trying to make is eliminate the half-point so teams that do take on a difficult schedule there is a benefit to do this....then it is possible you will see teams play good teams, then avoid them in the regular season
Avon and Lake would be a solid home and home.