D4 R16 Playoff Teams 2019

. But you’re right. Back to the playoffs. I have a good feeling about Kenton winning this game, but they’ll have Wyoming next week. This years Wyoming team doesn’t look like last years team, but they still have the best player in DIV and possibly the best QB in the state. Jaydon Cornell is an absolute beast and if the defense can play like they did against Wapak or OG I can see an upset here.

Again why do you feel the need to continue with your bashing of a team, players and community????

Crooked refs from Kenton? Please elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know anything about Indian Hill. What kind of offense and defense do they run? Who are the players to watch for IH?

Again why do you feel the need to continue with your bashing of a team, players and community????

Crooked refs from Kenton? Please elaborate?

Talk about a blast from JJ Huddle's past. Where have you been hiding? I bet our paths haven't crossed on a forum in the past 7+ years. Kenton have a good chance for success in R16? I like their first round matchup with Indian Hill. That's a long road trip for the Braves.

I love how I just complemented Kenton and their team and a player and you continue to focus on the negative, someone seems stuck in the past.

If anyone is stuck in the past it is you. You're the bringing up the past when you played football and talking about Kenton. You only complemented the team after you bashed again. You're the one that has been posting negative things. You have not seen any negative post from me other than to call you out. So let's just start being respectful if you can do that!

Last edited:
Talk about a blast from JJ Huddle's past. Where have you been hiding? I bet our paths haven't crossed on a forum in the past 7+ years. Kenton have a good chance for success in R16? I like their first round matchup with Indian Hill. That's a long road trip for the Braves.

Hey Ex how you doing my friend? Went through many years of family crisis among other things. Just lost interest in HS football for a while. You going to the VV game Saturday? I like Kenton in this game against IH. However Wyoming is a big challenge. Kenton's QB is decent but not near the talent we have seen from a Kenton team. He likes to hold on to the ball to much and takes huge sacks for loss. Defense is very stout. Just look at the Wapak and OG scores. Back when we won state with Ben we had a kid named Brandon Cornell and his son is probably the best player on the team.

I do not know much about any of these teams. However, Massie has been a force in the state of Ohio for awhile now. Veteran coach. Wyoming has the best player but do not sleep on Cornell from Kenton. He is a special player for Kenton. I am excited to see how this plays out. Should be a lot of fun games to watch.

My two cents

Wyoming over Milton Union - 40-21
Clinton Massie over Valley View - 34-20
Waynesville over Roger Bacon - 27-21
Indian Hill over Kenton - 31-27

Hey Ex how you doing my friend? Went through many years of family crisis among other things. Just lost interest in HS football for a while. You going to the VV game Saturday? I like Kenton in this game against IH. However Wyoming is a big challenge. Kenton's QB is decent but not near the talent we have seen from a Kenton team. He likes to hold on to the ball to much and takes huge sacks for loss. Defense is very stout. Just look at the Wapak and OG scores. Back when we won state with Ben we had a kid named Brandon Cornell and his son is probably the best player on the team.

I hate to hear about the family issues, but hopefully those are a thing of the past. My kids are getting older and involved in sports so it's much more difficult for me to make games and create threads, but I still post and follow along. I'm hoping to get down to the VV game on Friday. They'll be facing a pretty tall task in Clarksville. CM always has a physically dominant, fundamentally sound football team.

What's crazy is that kids playing on those Kenton teams are already running players back through the program. That was a long time ago though. Does Kenton still run a similar type of spread offense? To be honest, as a football fan, Mauk's teams were about as fun to watch as any at the high school level. I still remember the first time I ever saw Kenton play. They played Portsmouth West in the 2002 DIV State Championship game. Ben was QB. Kenton gets the ball first, comes out in their typical 5 Wide Shotgun set. I remember thinking how prepared Portsmouth West looked in their Dime Defense, 6 DB's spread across the field. Then Kenton ran two plays. Both plays Mauk snaps the ball, Portsmouth West drops back like crazy, he scrambles twice, the second being a 48 yd TD run. Kenton went on to win 45-13. From that day on I was a fan of Kenton football. At the time, it was a very rare offense at the high school level, especially in DIV or lower. Ben threw for 300 yards and 4 TD, ran for over 100 yards while rushing for 3 TD's.

Does anyone know anything about Indian Hill. What kind of offense and defense do they run? Who are the players to watch for IH?
Just from watching them against Wyoming this past week, they have a good QB who can throw and move around. Had a couple good long runs. Two big receivers as well that helped them almost complete a 4th quarter comeback. On defense, they didn't seem to have anyone to slow down Prater (though most can't), as he ran for over 300 yards. Wyoming didn't throw much but when they did, they had a couple times when receivers were wide open. They took Wyoming down to the wire, though it is a rivalry game so it's usually a good one. They lost to McNicholas earlier this year 16-6, which was an interesting result considering that McNick ended up 3-7. That was all the way back in week 2 though, so take it for what it's worth.

All that said, IH scored 43 points a game and only gave up about 12 points this season, so they can play some ball on both sides. Hope to see them represent the CHL well and see a rematch with the Cowboys in week 12, but Kenton is going to be a heck of a test.

I hate to hear about the family issues, but hopefully those are a thing of the past. My kids are getting older and involved in sports so it's much more difficult for me to make games and create threads, but I still post and follow along. I'm hoping to get down to the VV game on Friday. They'll be facing a pretty tall task in Clarksville. CM always has a physically dominant, fundamentally sound football team.

What's crazy is that kids playing on those Kenton teams are already running players back through the program. That was a long time ago though. Does Kenton still run a similar type of spread offense? To be honest, as a football fan, Mauk's teams were about as fun to watch as any at the high school level. I still remember the first time I ever saw Kenton play. They played Portsmouth West in the 2002 DIV State Championship game. Ben was QB. Kenton gets the ball first, comes out in their typical 5 Wide Shotgun set. I remember thinking how prepared Portsmouth West looked in their Dime Defense, 6 DB's spread across the field. Then Kenton ran two plays. Both plays Mauk snaps the ball, Portsmouth West drops back like crazy, he scrambles twice, the second being a 48 yd TD run. Kenton went on to win 45-13. From that day on I was a fan of Kenton football. At the time, it was a very rare offense at the high school level, especially in DIV or lower. Ben threw for 300 yards and 4 TD, ran for over 100 yards while rushing for 3 TD's.
Yes Kenton is still running the same offense. Fackler is the coach now, he was the defensive coordinator under Mauk. I remember that game also and the year before that. I remember back in 2001 that the Huron game was one of the best games I ever seen. Do you also remember all the people saying that Gimmick offense will not work and will not win a state title? The 2001 and 2002 Kenton teams were so talented and fun to watch. All of Mauks boys are now coaching with him in Missouri. The young man that is the Kenton QB this year is the brother of the kid that set passing records for Mauk in Missouri.

Just from watching them against Wyoming this past week, they have a good QB who can throw and move around. Had a couple good long runs. Two big receivers as well that helped them almost complete a 4th quarter comeback. On defense, they didn't seem to have anyone to slow down Prater (though most can't), as he ran for over 300 yards. Wyoming didn't throw much but when they did, they had a couple times when receivers were wide open. They took Wyoming down to the wire, though it is a rivalry game so it's usually a good one. They lost to McNicholas earlier this year 16-6, which was an interesting result considering that McNick ended up 3-7. That was all the way back in week 2 though, so take it for what it's worth.

All that said, IH scored 43 points a game and only gave up about 12 points this season, so they can play some ball on both sides. Hope to see them represent the CHL well and see a rematch with the Cowboys in week 12, but Kenton is going to be a heck of a test.
This will be a test for both teams. Thanks for your insight. Kenton puts their best players on the defense and we have 2 kids that play both sides of the ball. 5 wide no huddle with no running back, QB is the running back but he does not run that much. When he does he will get chunks of yards. Receivers block well and the screen passes are the go to plays. Then when you key on those they will hit you deep. Defensive line is outstanding and built to stop the run. Most WBL teams are predominantly run oriented. The DB's are good and fast but can get beat.

Food for thought..IH played 2 playoff teams this year and split those games. Kenton played 4 playoff teams and won 2 of them. Most notably they beat Wapak who is playing Trotwood Madison on Friday. I did see that IH scored 15 points in the 4th Quarter against a good Wyoming team. When Kenton played OG they killed themselves with penalties and turnovers. Kenton won that game with 4:50 left in the 4th with that last TD with 9 seconds left in the game. Kenton can score very quickly.

This game could turn out to be high scoring back and forth kinda game. Key to this game for IH would be to use D-lineman that are small and quick. Don't use the big boys or they will be gassed by halftime or 3rd quarter. Most WBL teams use athletic kids on the D-line against Kenton.

I wouldn't plan on heading down on Friday or you might be one of only a few people there. ;) I'm sure you're aware and it's just habit, but the game is on Saturday night!

I wouldn't plan on heading down on Friday or you might be one of only a few people there. ;) I'm sure you're aware and it's just habit, but the game is on Saturday night!

Very true. I did know it was Saturday, simply used to saying on Friday. :)

Yes Kenton is still running the same offense. Fackler is the coach now, he was the defensive coordinator under Mauk. I remember that game also and the year before that. I remember back in 2001 that the Huron game was one of the best games I ever seen. Do you also remember all the people saying that Gimmick offense will not work and will not win a state title? The 2001 and 2002 Kenton teams were so talented and fun to watch. All of Mauks boys are now coaching with him in Missouri. The young man that is the Kenton QB this year is the brother of the kid that set passing records for Mauk in Missouri.

Are they coaching high school football in Missouri or for the University? I know Maty played at Mizzu. If it's high school, then it's time to bring back some of that high flying action to Ohio.

Are they coaching high school football in Missouri or for the University? I know Maty played at Mizzu. If it's high school, then it's time to bring back some of that high flying action to Ohio.
They are coaching at Glendale high school in Missouri.

Roger Bacon may be able to sneak up on a couple of teams in the playoffs. Not sure they have the horses to make it to state.

The only game they lost this year was D3 Badin, and the Rams hung two touchdowns on them in the first minutes of the game, and then picked up another two before the Spartans caught their breath and played some D. Final score 31-7.

RB needs to make a few stops here and there, and limit penalty yardage.

Their offense will work its magic. While Corey Kiner is certainly the feature name, he draws a lot of attention away from Hutzel and Bullock and others who get significant yardage as a result of being under the radar.

What type of success are they having in Missouri? What size school is it in relation to an Ohio high school?
The kid that was supposed to be Kenton's QB after Mauk left moved to Missouri and played for Mauk. He set all kinds of state records for passing and TD's. They did not win any titles but they have been decent. Haven't followed them much though.

Wyoming up 42-18 near the end of 3. Surprised at the lack of participation on this thread with the talented teams in this region. It’s the playoffs, right?