2019 D2/R6

I've got this feeling that the Suburban League reps will be making a quick exit. Not impressed with Wadsworth's or Brecksville's defense.

Wadsworth can score in bunches. Defense is bend but don't break. Defense numbers are a little inflated due to giving up special teams scores and having big leads and bringing in second and third teams early. Solid up front, can be suspect in the secondary.

Brecksville is big on the lines and flat out tough. Best QB in the region and won't back down from anyone. Neither team is perfect but they won't be easy outs.

Wadsworth can score in bunches. Defense is bend but don't break. Defense numbers are a little inflated due to giving up special teams scores and having big leads and bringing in second and third teams early. Solid up front, can be suspect in the secondary.

Brecksville is big on the lines and flat out tough. Best QB in the region and won't back down from anyone. Neither team is perfect but they won't be easy outs.
You might be right. It will be interesting. I do like that D2R6 ended up with no intra-conference rematches despite having 3 of 8 from the SWC and 2 of 8 from the SLN. Makes for more variety. D2R5 has rematches in 1-8 and 2-7. I'm not a fan of 1 and 2 having to beat 8 and 7 again.

Matt Goul's Div II preview: https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...aa-division-ii-football-playoffs-preview.html

In Region 6 he calls Avon the favorite, picks Benedictine to win the region.

To me the most intriguing team is Avon Lake. I look at their scores after the Clinton Massie game and I see a lot of 0s and 7s on the other team's side, even though it is against a eh type schedule it is still impressive. In November the weather gets iffy at best and teams that rely on offense can sometimes struggle executing in poor weather, a good defense is important for a long run in the playoffs. I also want to see how these very "suburban" teams from the SWC & the BLN match up with the team speed of the two out layers, Benedictine & Maple Heights. They might not be the most complete or have the depth the others have in the region but home run type speed where a TD can happen a anywhere on the field is a great equalizer; it can change the complexion of a game in less than 10 seconds.

Matt Goul's Div II preview: https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...aa-division-ii-football-playoffs-preview.html

In Region 6 he calls Avon the favorite, picks Benedictine to win the region.
I saw that. He also has Tommy Lorincz, Avon's big OT that's committed to Ball State as a key player. Unfortunately, he is one of many Avon impact players out for the season with injury. Avon will have to scrap to get out of the region without players like Lorincz and star RB Nick Perusek. They overcame a lot of injuries last year to win the region, though, when everyone thought Toledo CC would roll them....so they can still get it done.

To me the most intriguing team is Avon Lake. I look at their scores after the Clinton Massie game and I see a lot of 0s and 7s on the other team's side, even though it is against a eh type schedule it is still impressive. In November the weather gets iffy at best and teams that rely on offense can sometimes struggle executing in poor weather, a good defense is important for a long run in the playoffs. I also want to see how these very "suburban" teams from the SWC & the BLN match up with the team speed of the two out layers, Benedictine & Maple Heights. They might not be the most complete or have the depth the others have in the region but home run type speed where a TD can happen a anywhere on the field is a great equalizer; it can change the complexion of a game in less than 10 seconds.
Check the Lorain vs Avon and Lorain vs Maple scores.

Check the Lorain vs Avon and Lorain vs Maple scores.

I get your take but Lorain was a typical up and down urban team that would pummel Maple one week then struggle against a mediocre Bedford the following week. Tough to use them as a comparative team but point taken.

I get your take but Lorain was a typical up and down urban team that would pummel Maple one week then struggle against a mediocre Bedford the following week. Tough to use them as a comparative team but point taken.
Holland Springfield and Toledo CC were loaded with athletes last season. This is not Avon's first rodeo, but I am concerned with all the injuries. They will need to dial it up against a team like Benedictine.

Holland Springfield and Toledo CC were loaded with athletes last season. This is not Avon's first rodeo, but I am concerned with all the injuries. They will need to dial it up against a team like Benedictine.

Avon is a battle tested side and has proven it can compete in this Region, the key is winning that next game and getting on to that 1st title. I kind of view them along the lines of Mentor, the coach and school are building something and eventually all that talent they get to stay in the District should come together and get it done. It's just a matter of how long until that day comes.

As a side note Matt Gould also picks the following final four in Division 2: Hoban, Benedictine, TCC, and LaSalle. If this does play out three of the four teams would have been competitive balanced up from Division 3 to 2. Looks like this thing is working out well for the rural schools in the middle Divisions but not so well for the pubs in the bigger ones. Not trying to stir any pot and Benny plus TCC are anything but sure bets in their Regions, just an observation.

Avon is a battle tested side and has proven it can compete in this Region, the key is winning that next game and getting on to that 1st title. I kind of view them along the lines of Mentor, the coach and school are building something and eventually all that talent they get to stay in the District should come together and get it done. It's just a matter of how long until that day comes.

As a side note Matt Gould also picks the following final four in Division 2: Hoban, Benedictine, TCC, and LaSalle. If this does play out three of the four teams would have been competitive balanced up from Division 3 to 2. Looks like this thing is working out well for the rural schools in the middle Divisions but not so well for the pubs in the bigger ones. Not trying to stir any pot and Benny plus TCC are anything but sure bets in their Regions, just an observation.
I noticed Goul’s final four, as well. If it were to happen the backlash from the competitive balance crowd will be unbearable on Yappi.

I noticed Goul’s final four, as well. If it were to happen the backlash from the competitive balance crowd will be unbearable on Yappi.

It would be interesting that is for sure. The Wayne County and Radio Dave types would probably be like crickets but the suburban public block cannot be too happy. This was mentioned as a potential issue when the multiplier was developed, shuffle the deck up 1 spot and keep those rural schools in 4 on down happy.

I've seen quite a few of the teams play (not all live) except for Auggies Boys........my gut would tell me Avon and Avon lake would beat all of the teams in the region with the exception of Bennies....I have no idea how either would fair against them.......

If Bennie gets knocked out early, then my bet is on Avon or Avon Lake making it out of the region........and If someone put a gun to my head...Id have to take Avon Lake...................... as it was mentioned somewhere above...I think their D is a little stronger than Avon, and in the ugly weather common for this time of year, I give the edge to the D, and Avon Lake.

If Benedictine makes it past Avon.....Then I have no idea.....but I would guess that they make it out of the region by beating Avon Lake.......again just a guess because I have not seen Bennies play at all this year......

Maybe I'll have to try and dig up some games somehow......

I would love to see Wadsworth's O vs Avon Lake's D. Wadsworth is kind of an afterthought in this region but they are very talented. First things first tho.

The one thing that makes it tough to gage both Avon and Avon Lake is the SWC is way down this year......so they are not really tested......

The one thing that makes it tough to gage both Avon and Avon Lake is the SWC is way down this year......so they are not really tested......
I would say the same thing about the Suburban League, the LEL, and the North Coast League (beside Hoban)

"Regular season is over. Playoffs are a different animal."

"Avon has been there done that."

"Avon is playoff proven and the best coached team in the region."

I think Benedictine knows more about the playoffs and what it takes to win more than the 7 other teams combined.

Last edited:
"Regular season is over. Playoffs are a different animal."

"Avon has been there done that."

"Avon is playoff proven and the best coached team in the region."

I think Benedictine knows more about the playoffs and what it takes to win more than the 7 other teams combined.

View attachment 4545
I have great respect for the Bengals football tradition. They’ve had some truly great teams. This year’s team has a great chance to get out of this region, but don’t expect the other teams to lay down like roadkill. Some of these teams have been in a lot of playoff games the past few years while the Bengals were rebuilding. Just don’t sleep on Brecksville. I don’t think a first round win is going to come easy for anyone in this region this year.

I have great respect for the Bengals football tradition. They’ve had some truly great teams. This year’s team has a great chance to get out of this region, but don’t expect the other teams to lay down like roadkill. Some of these teams have been in a lot of playoff games the past few years while the Bengals were rebuilding. Just don’t sleep on Brecksville. I don’t think a first round win is going to come easy for anyone in this region this year.

Brescksville is a tough first round match up for Benedictine, their offense is legit and they have not scored under 30 points since week 1. Benedictine does have the more balanced team, especially when you take into account the variety of weapons they have on offense, but the Bengals have struggled all year long with good dual threat QBs and that is something that Brecksville has. Labas seems to like timing routes, he stands tall in the pocket and gets rid of the ball quickly with the WRs get some good YAC as he tends to hit him them in stride. The key player for Benny will probably be FS Matt Stauffer, he will need to keep everything in front of him and not allow any HR TDs. This thing probably turns into a shoot out though because outside of Hoban the Bengals have proven they can put up big points too against some solid defenses, including a PA Div 3 state title contender in Cathedral Prep. But a shootout is not always a good thing for the favorite as so many things can go wrong when trying to keep up on the scoreboard against a team that has nothing to lose; teens have a propensity to shoot themselves in the foot when things get tough.

One other thought, I have heard a lot about the big tough lines that Brecksville has; usually this is a nice advantage in HS FB but Benny has decent size too and above average athleticism at those spots that the Bees have probably not seen during their schedule. Benny will probably press the WRs to get them out of their rhythm and if Labas has to hold the ball longer than he is use to I can see the Bengals getting some pressure. I would pay attention to the line play early on to see how this thing plays out.