Division 2 Region 8 playoff discussion

The Blevins story line is more awesome then intriguing. The boys will want to play there heart out and show Blevins he made a mistake. However, they are all still friends and have played together since pee wee. Everyone at LM still loves Ben. I think it is cool that no matter what happens a group of seniors will get one last chance to all be on the field at the same time. That is what High School football is about.

Cool stuff. I bet this is going to be a tough week for Ben. I also think he's going to have a monster game.

These are both very interesting storylines. While I believe LaSalle will win this one no problem there are things that LM does if they do them right could make the game interesting. Reder is probably the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the city. He is a dual threat who is big and strong. He is also fast. LMs offense is very explosive at times. I have seen them score 2-3 TDs in a matter of 5 minutes against decent defenses. I'm not pretending to think LM should be close to LaSalle. But if there offense is on and they can get a turnover or 2 it could get interesting.

How is the defense? Our QB is an explosive runner and extremely poised. I don't know much about the LM team, but I have a hunch Branham and Porter are going to pile up some rushing yards.

SIDE NOTE for Little Miami fans: We have limited parking on campus limited to pass-holders. There is parking on side streets, but I'd recommend the shuttle bus from St. Ignatius Church just off Interstate 74. You can park there for free and a bus will take you to the stadium for free as well.

Cool stuff. I bet this is going to be a tough week for Ben. I also think he's going to have a monster game.

How is the defense? Our QB is an explosive runner and extremely poised. I don't know much about the LM team, but I have a hunch Branham and Porter are going to pile up some rushing yards.

SIDE NOTE for Little Miami fans: We have limited parking on campus limited to pass-holders. There is parking on side streets, but I'd recommend the shuttle bus from St. Ignatius Church just off Interstate 74. You can park there for free and a bus will take you to the stadium for free as well.

LM defense against the run is poor. LMs Linebackers are too small and don't fill well. You have to run to beat LM. The Dline is average sized. Even Harrison who is a pass first team ran against them. LM pass defense is a little above average. They don't give up alot of homerun balls but you can dink and dunk them. They have the number 1 pass rusher in Swoc and a couple other really good ones. LM is opportunistic lots of interceptions and almost interceptions. They have 3 very good dbs and one young guy who will be good if he doesn't become the starting QB next year.

LM wants a shootout. That's what they will try and do offensively. They will spread you out and go for home runs and there intermediate stuff has really picked up in the last couple weeks. Since there number 1 back went down they barely use a running back now. They barely used one anyways when he was healthy. Don't know why, don't know how, and I thinks it's stupid. But that's what they do.

A synopsis LM is small in the LB core. There biggest LB is 5'10 200 lbs. The others are 5'8" 200 lbs, 5'5" 150 lbs, and 5'8" and 150 lbs. They 2 more that play some that are 5'10" and about 190lbs

LaSalle will put a running clock on LM...
LaSalle will call the dogs off at the half Final 45-0.... LM may squeak out 6pt in the final minutes but I doubt it. I see them with at least 3 turnovers as well.
The rest of the matchups should be good games. I like the home team in all. Hopefully the weather is decent...

LaSalle over Little Miami... Running Clock

Xenia over Walnut Ridge... Walnut Ridge played a weak schedule but they are talented. Xenia by 7

Harrison over Canal Winchester... Harrison by 14, close game early and the Wildcats pull away late.

Turpin vs. DeSales... is the best 1st round game of this Region Turpin is reward for their 10-0 record with the toughest of the 5-8 seeds. I think this game is a pick’em!

LM defense against the run is poor. LMs Linebackers are too small and don't fill well. You have to run to beat LM. The Dline is average sized. Even Harrison who is a pass first team ran against them. LM pass defense is a little above average. They don't give up alot of homerun balls but you can dink and dunk them. They have the number 1 pass rusher in Swoc and a couple other really good ones. LM is opportunistic lots of interceptions and almost interceptions. They have 3 very good dbs and one young guy who will be good if he doesn't become the starting QB next year.

LM wants a shootout. That's what they will try and do offensively. They will spread you out and go for home runs and there intermediate stuff has really picked up in the last couple weeks. Since there number 1 back went down they barely use a running back now. They barely used one anyways when he was healthy. Don't know why, don't know how, and I thinks it's stupid. But that's what they do.

A synopsis LM is small in the LB core. There biggest LB is 5'10 200 lbs. The others are 5'8" 200 lbs, 5'5" 150 lbs, and 5'8" and 150 lbs. They 2 more that play some that are 5'10" and about 190lbs

Thanks, man. Good synopsis. Branham is going to have a good game and I think this may be Cam Porter's best game since his sophomore year. But, as Edgewood taught us a few years ago, anything can happen with high-school kids.

LaSalle over Little Miami... Running Clock

Xenia over Walnut Ridge... Walnut Ridge played a weak schedule but they are talented. Xenia by 7

Harrison over Canal Winchester... Harrison by 14, close game early and the Wildcats pull away late.

Turpin vs. DeSales... is the best 1st round game of this Region Turpin is reward for their 10-0 record with the toughest of the 5-8 seeds. I think this game is a pick’em!

Turpin definitely got the toughest draw of the higher seeds. Gonna be tough.

LaSalle will put a running clock on LM...
LaSalle will call the dogs off at the half Final 45-0.... LM may squeak out 6pt in the final minutes but I doubt it. I see them with at least 3 turnovers as well.
The rest of the matchups should be good games. I like the home team in all. Hopefully the weather is decent...

I don't know if you have actually seen Little Miami play. I could see LaSalle getting 45 points not in a half but in the game. But little Miami will get their points I can see the score being something along the lines of 42-28 or something along those lines. The only thing you got is suspect on Little Miami is there defense and their offensive line has struggled at times. Their quarterback and receivers could play for any team in Cincinnati and most likely start. I know LaSalle's quarterback is good I know they have a really good running back and that will pose problems for a little Miami in the long run.

Also Little Miami doesn't turn over the ball very often. I think reder may have like four interceptions this entire season and I know one was on a hail Mary. They do not fumble the ball very often as well. Last week was the first time I've seen them fumble in a few weeks that I can remember.

But little Miami will get their points I can see the score being something along the lines of 42-28 or something along those lines.

That may be, but nobody has reached 28 against La Salle yet this season. CovCath and Elder scored 27 and Winton Woods reached 26. Everyone else was 20 or below.

I don't know if you have actually seen Little Miami play. I could see LaSalle getting 45 points not in a half but in the game. But little Miami will get their points I can see the score being something along the lines of 42-28 or something along those lines. The only thing you got is suspect on Little Miami is there defense and their offensive line has struggled at times. Their quarterback and receivers could play for any team in Cincinnati and most likely start. I know LaSalle's quarterback is good I know they have a really good running back and that will pose problems for a little Miami in the long run.

Also Little Miami doesn't turn over the ball very often. I think reder may have like four interceptions this entire season and I know one was on a hail Mary. They do not fumble the ball very often as well. Last week was the first time I've seen them fumble in a few weeks that I can remember.
i dont see any way on earth LM puts up 28 on Lasalle. They played 1 good defense and that was Harrison and they only had 13 pts and 200 yds total offense and one of those scores was late in garbage time. Reder is a tough kid, a good player, but this will be ugly. 49-7 Lasalle

LM honestly has not played anyone with the speed and physical play combination on D that LaSalle has outside of a Mt Healthy or Harrison but even they would not match up well with the lancer D. My score guess was a final 45 for LaSalle the half will be more like 28 0 if LM only turns it over 1x and can chew up some clock. LaSalle won’t need to blitz they should be able to rush 4 and pressure the QB. LM is going to have to put a blocker in the backfield and even then the throws have to be quick and on the edge. Anything in the middle will not turn out well for them and I do not see LM getting more than a handful of yards on the ground either especially if the QB is also going to be their ground game

Xenia relies heavily on the run. They have 2 good running backs who have over 1,000 yards. One is a bruiser and one is an elusive back. They also use the qb run a lot.
Xenia has a pretty good defense too. This is their first ever playoff game. I don’t know anything about their opponent so I can’t say how the game will turnout. Xenia beat Troy on a last minute field goal to beat them at home. I say that because Troy is simply just average this year and will likely lose their first playoff game. Xenia played an incredibly weak schedule and hasn’t really seen a good opponent yet this year. But I wouldn’t sleep on them. In the cold November weather, their defense and rushing attack could be beneficial.
Thank you for the scouting report on Xenia. I'm curious to see how that game goes on Friday.

Any Columbus area posters out there who can fill us in on Walnut Ridge, St Francis DeSales, or Canal Winchester? Obviously I'm most interested in any information on Canal Winchester.

Thank you for the scouting report on Xenia. I'm curious to see how that game goes on Friday.

Any Columbus area posters out there who can fill us in on Walnut Ridge, St Francis DeSales, or Canal Winchester? Obviously I'm most interested in any information on Canal Winchester.

Berlin played CW week 2, need to set the table for these comments, as there is an undercurrent to them.

Berlin has a college caliber QB who is already a D1 baseball recruit, 6'3, throws very catchable deep balls with touch, throws on the run, he's very good when the line isn't falling apart. Week 2, he was just coming off an injury and had not played in any of the preseason games or week 1 as a result, and did not play in the 1st half of the CW game either. Berlin was also missing their best OL and their 2 best WRs due to injury in this game.

Canal is a 1 man team, a very tough, athletic RB named Byrd, who is only a soph

As has been the case most of this year, Berlin played very good run D and kept him bottled up in the first half. Both teams committed a bunch of penalties, but Berlin was able to put a TD drive together and then cashed in a turnover to go up 14-0 before half, despite their backup QB playing, who is a huge drop-off from the starter.

Canal's QB is athletic and somewhat of a danger to run the ball, but nothing compared to Byrd. And passing game doesn't have much punch to it at all. hard-nosed defense, corners were challenging WRs at the LOS all game, and a pretty solid farm-boy style DL and LB crew that doesn't give up big plays, but is also lacking superior speed.

In the second half, Berlin put the starting QB in, and quite frankly, he was not ready yet off the injury. Fumbled snaps, very sloppy in the mesh point on the read/RPOs, only 3-11 throwing, he just was very rusty from missing the entire preseason. Canal took the opening kick and scored and then got a 63yd fumble return on a mesh point debacle that tied the game. Teams traded TDs then, but in the 4th Q Berlin was getting worn down by CW and they suddenly were effective moving the ball. CW got the tying TD and then after more offensive mishaps, took the ball down and kicked a GW FG.

Canal is the only team this year that was better than Berlin in the 4Q (granted they were missing several key players), and we've seen some pretty good teams in Dublin Jerome, Toledo SJJ, and I guess some ppl mistakenly think Darby is a good team. CW are not flashy, but very tough and if you can't stop Byrd, you've got big problems. Passing wise, they aren't going to give you underneath routes and you have to throw deep to beat them.

Here is a link to the Groveport Madison vs. Canal Winchester game from this year.

Groveport Madison vs. Canal Winchester

It should be a classic small town match up that should make snowman33 happy. Canal Winchester population 8,600 people, is a nice small town outside Columbus that is similar to Harrison. Harrison couldn't ask for a better match up in those terms. Harrison is 25 miles from Cincinnati, Canal Winchester is 15 miles from Columbus. However, they have a long drive ahead. About 2 hours.

Here is the link again in case the one above doesn't work.

D

I feel sorry for you. You really must be an unhappy guy. I don't know why you feel the need to trash everyone and everything. I guess you really think Ohio HS football sucks because everyone is trash and plays nobody. I like to bring facts into a debate though so here goes. You say that Region 8 is an "ungodly awful region". I'd love to hear how you decided that. I took a look at the recent history of D2 playoffs and it certainly doesn't back up your opinion. In the last 10 years the Region 8 champion is 9-1 in the Semi Finals and the Region 8 champion has gone on to win 6 of the last 10 state championships with 3 runners up. Four different teams from Region 8 have won titles during that time which certainly indicates a serious depth of quality teams. I believe your team went out in the first round in Region 8 last year.

The Harbin system does a fairly good job of rewarding teams that have played competitive schedules and won games against good teams. All of these unbeatable teams you described are excellent teams for sure. I took a look at who they've beaten and I couldn't help but notice something. Massilon has beaten 3 teams with 5 or more wins, Toledo CC has beaten 1 team, Hoban has beaten 3, Anthony Wayne has beaten 2, and Harrison (leaders of the ungodly awful Region 8) have beaten 4. I'm sure all of those teams are trash and garbage but I still thought it was interesting. The bottom line is that these are all good football teams and all of them have beaten many good teams along the way. We'll see who is the best come playoff time but based on the last 10 years, I like the chances of the Region 8 winner to do well in the semis and finals. Clearly the best D2 region in the state.
Why anyone responds to such a sh*tbag is beyond me. The guy is still pissed off he was stuck in closets, given swirlies, and made to eat turds when he was in high school. Because none of the team come from the almighty Columbus they are trash regardless of all the state champs from this region. All we can hope is one day he takes off his grandma's dress and comes back up out of the basement to reality.

Short of putting pretty much every team in the playoffs you will occasionally have a situation like this. I am looking for a playoff system that rewards a team that loses 33% of their games while only taking roughly 25% of the teams. None of the NCAA Football playoffs seem to do that. Bowl Series level you can lose once and still get in but that is about it.

I guess the question I want to pose to you is when do you plan on creating a good strength of schedule component to either add to the harbins system (pretty damn good system) or a system to replace the harbins system?

Second follow up question. Did the staff at Winton Woods not know about how teams qualify for the playoffs in Ohio?
I completely agree. I love that they aren't scared to play anyone but you have to get in to win. This year's schedule left them no room for error since Edgewood struggled. Would the playoffs be stronger with them and little Miami out absolutely, but if you refuse to schedule correctly it's a result you have to be able to live with. Next year being in a league will certainly help them.

While I appreciate your maturity in accepting that it is fair. However, if one objectively looks at the challenging schedule that WW played It is highly unlikely another team in region 8 that could come close to handling that schedule with a winning record. It may or may not be fair but there is a defect when a team as good as WW is does not make it. To prove it just ask the question...is there ANY region 8 team willing to play WW on Friday Night in the first round of the playoffs? Put another way the number 6,7,or 8 team should be delighted to play the 9 seed in the region if they could avoid the 1,2 or 3 seed. Any coach in the region would not wish to make that change even if they could.

The system is a pretty good system. With WW joining a conference next season this shouldn't happen again. Hell, it's just one of those years. WW had a little over 24 pts in the harbins. That's around 5 or 6 in Region 4! SMH. Good luck everyone.

Why anyone responds to such a sh*tbag is beyond me. The guy is still pissed off he was stuck in closets, given swirlies, and made to eat turds when he was in high school. Because none of the team come from the almighty Columbus they are trash regardless of all the state champs from this region. All we can hope is one day he takes off his grandma's dress and comes back up out of the basement to reality.

Awww, poor butt-hurt meat-head doesn't like my posts and can't argue with any of my points, so he has to make up a bunch of straw men I never said and argue with them instead. Nice try buddy!

I have never said anything about state champions from Columbus, and in fact, have shown great respect for Hoban, Massillon, and Toledo CC, who are head-and-shoulders the class of D2 this year, and I have never mentioned any D2 Columbus teams as being potentially impactful on the Final 4. There's a gap between those 3 teams and the rest of the state, down to teams like Anthony Wayne, LaSalle, and Winton Woods, and then a GAPING CHASM between those and the rest of D2, including everyone from Columbus.

That's why we saw running clocks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the R8 playoffs last year, because the dropoff is so steep in SWO in D2. It's a joke.

I've also never touted any D1 Columbus schools as potential state champs either, although Olentangy Liberty has a good chance to make their 4th final 4 in a row if they can get healthy. So since you can't discuss anything I've actually said, you just have to make up a bunch of stuff to have an argument with.

What I do often say is that the layer just below the upper crust in Columbus is much deeper than it is in western ohio as a whole (but not nearly as good as NEO) because most D2 schools are regularly playing D1 teams and don't have to go to D3 goat-herders and #300+ranked D2 schools to round out their schedules.

That's why when a team like 5-5 Olentangy shows up to play WW last year, it's a 49-42 game, and then the very next week Little Miami is getting their doors blown off with a running clock by halftime.

As for the LM LaSalle get I will say this if you are gonna beat LaSalle get them in the first round. Now for Little Miami I watched them play Edgewood and wasn't as sold on the ad others. Edgewood has been beat up all year with injuries and it wasn't until late that LM pulled away. Most of the scores happened because Edgewood played a young men at safety (because of multiple injuries) who were freshman and sophomore and biggest one was 140 pounds. Reder is good once he gets moving but the line will allow pressure. LaSalle should also be able to run the ball. I am glad to see little Miami having success after the levy issues a couple years ago. Best of luck to both teams.

Awww, poor butt-hurt meat-head doesn't like my posts and can't argue with any of my points, so he has to make up a bunch of straw men I never said and argue with them instead. Nice try buddy!

I have never said anything about state champions from Columbus, and in fact, have shown great respect for Hoban, Massillon, and Toledo CC, who are head-and-shoulders the class of D2 this year, and I have never mentioned any D2 Columbus teams as being potentially impactful on the Final 4. There's a gap between those 3 teams and the rest of the state, down to teams like Anthony Wayne, LaSalle, and Winton Woods, and then a GAPING CHASM between those and the rest of D2, including everyone from Columbus.

That's why we saw running clocks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the R8 playoffs last year, because the dropoff is so steep in SWO in D2. It's a joke.

I've also never touted any D1 Columbus schools as potential state champs either, although Olentangy Liberty has a good chance to make their 4th final 4 in a row if they can get healthy. So since you can't discuss anything I've actually said, you just have to make up a bunch of stuff to have an argument with.

What I do often say is that the layer just below the upper crust in Columbus is much deeper than it is in western ohio as a whole (but not nearly as good as NEO) because most D2 schools are regularly playing D1 teams and don't have to go to D3 goat-herders and #300+ranked D2 schools to round out their schedules.

That's why when a team like 5-5 Olentangy shows up to play WW last year, it's a 49-42 game, and then the very next week Little Miami is getting their doors blown off with a running clock by halftime.
Never said you said anything about d1 Columbus. Like is said I wouldn't argue with a troll living in his mom basement. And the reason OL played WW close is WW does what they do and looked past them. After halftime when they realised you cannot take anyone lightly they beat the breaks off you. Your defense couldn't stop a running nose in the second half. There's a couple facts for you. OL made four final fours because they were out of the trash can region. Once they got into real football they bowed out first round. Keep trying. BTW I'll take a Whopper and fries.

The only thing factual you said was the gap between the top three and the rest of the group is large THIS YEAR but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

Berlin played CW week 2, need to set the table for these comments, as there is an undercurrent to them.

Berlin has a college caliber QB who is already a D1 baseball recruit, 6'3, throws very catchable deep balls with touch, throws on the run, he's very good when the line isn't falling apart. Week 2, he was just coming off an injury and had not played in any of the preseason games or week 1 as a result, and did not play in the 1st half of the CW game either. Berlin was also missing their best OL and their 2 best WRs due to injury in this game.

Canal is a 1 man team, a very tough, athletic RB named Byrd, who is only a soph

As has been the case most of this year, Berlin played very good run D and kept him bottled up in the first half. Both teams committed a bunch of penalties, but Berlin was able to put a TD drive together and then cashed in a turnover to go up 14-0 before half, despite their backup QB playing, who is a huge drop-off from the starter.

Canal's QB is athletic and somewhat of a danger to run the ball, but nothing compared to Byrd. And passing game doesn't have much punch to it at all. hard-nosed defense, corners were challenging WRs at the LOS all game, and a pretty solid farm-boy style DL and LB crew that doesn't give up big plays, but is also lacking superior speed.

In the second half, Berlin put the starting QB in, and quite frankly, he was not ready yet off the injury. Fumbled snaps, very sloppy in the mesh point on the read/RPOs, only 3-11 throwing, he just was very rusty from missing the entire preseason. Canal took the opening kick and scored and then got a 63yd fumble return on a mesh point debacle that tied the game. Teams traded TDs then, but in the 4th Q Berlin was getting worn down by CW and they suddenly were effective moving the ball. CW got the tying TD and then after more offensive mishaps, took the ball down and kicked a GW FG.

Canal is the only team this year that was better than Berlin in the 4Q (granted they were missing several key players), and we've seen some pretty good teams in Dublin Jerome, Toledo SJJ, and I guess some ppl mistakenly think Darby is a good team. CW are not flashy, but very tough and if you can't stop Byrd, you've got big problems. Passing wise, they aren't going to give you underneath routes and you have to throw deep to beat them.

Thanks for a very thorough description of Canal Winchester. They sound alot like some of the teams we've played this year.....Ross, Talawanda, Mt Healthy, ect. All of those teams are running teams that have little to no passing game. It sounds like Byrd is a very talented back and I wonder how he compares to the best backs in our league. I have faith in our defense though, unlike in previous years. Our defense is as good as our offense, maybe better. I look forward to seeing how we match up with them on Friday night.

Here is a link to the Groveport Madison vs. Canal Winchester game from this year.

Groveport Madison vs. Canal Winchester

It should be a classic small town match up that should make snowman33 happy. Canal Winchester population 8,600 people, is a nice small town outside Columbus that is similar to Harrison. Harrison couldn't ask for a better match up in those terms. Harrison is 25 miles from Cincinnati, Canal Winchester is 15 miles from Columbus. However, they have a long drive ahead. About 2 hours.

Here is the link again in case the one above doesn't work.
Thank you for providing the link to that! I'm going to take a look at it right now. I know this was their only loss so I'm curious to see what Madison did to be able to beat them by 28 pts.

As for the Little Miami-La Salle game, there are two interesting factors in play here which revolve around two people.

One is Keith Panthing who used to be the AD at La Salle before bolting to Little Miami for the same position. He left La Salle in the lurch where we had to use an interim AD while we searched for a permanent one. We coached Jim Barre to come out of retirement and keep us moving forward. Is this payback time for La Salle to show Panthing he has a price to pay for leaving LS for LM on short notice late in the school year?

The other side of the coin is Ben Blevins, the defensive lineman for La Salle who announced he was transferring from Little Miami to La Salle after the coach at LM bolted for Hamilton last year. Hamilton did make the DI R4 playoffs this year with a 5-5 record. Is this the motivation for LM to show Blevins he never should have left LM for LS by knocking LS out of the playoffs while LM moves on.
Thank you for providing the link to that! I'm going to take a look at it right now. I know this was their only loss so I'm curious to see what Madison did to be able to beat them by 28 pts.

Desales played WW well last year even though their starting Qb got hurt against Cov catholic and was out against Ww. It was 21 to 14 with 4 min left at their place. Desales was bumped up to Div 2 this year. Everyone knows LaSalle is the favorite and WW should have made it but every post saying how great both teams are gets sickening after awhile. Desales always has a tuff schedule which makes it harder to make the playoffs. Taking Cov Catholic and WW off the schedule was a smart move but they at least replace with Steubenville and Kettering Alter. Teams that are not gimmes at all.

No problem. I was just looking around and found the game. Difficult to see how they are versus the pass. Groveport being a wing-t offense makes pass defense difficult to gauge. I know Harrison likes to pass the ball, so this at least gives you some idea what they have at certain positions Jack Beeler, Stephan Byrd, Reece Musick (good kicker), Tyler Toledo seem to be their main guys on offense. Seem to be comfortable passing or running the ball, of course they were losing so perhaps they will use Byrd more often depending on a team's ability to stop the run. Beeler didn't seem to have much time to throw, so he may be more accurate if he has more time. You can obviously judge for yourself and see how Harrison matches up.

As for the LM LaSalle get I will say this if you are gonna beat LaSalle get them in the first round. Now for Little Miami I watched them play Edgewood and wasn't as sold on the ad others. Edgewood has been beat up all year with injuries and it wasn't until late that LM pulled away. Most of the scores happened because Edgewood played a young men at safety (because of multiple injuries) who were freshman and sophomore and biggest one was 140 pounds. Reder is good once he gets moving but the line will allow pressure. LaSalle should also be able to run the ball. I am glad to see little Miami having success after the levy issues a couple years ago. Best of luck to both teams.

LM has scored the majority of their points in the third quarter all year. For some reason that has been there MO. The reason Edgewood was so successful and it was close in the beginning is they were able to run the ball. If you run the ball on LM you will wim. Every team that has success against LM has been on the ground.