The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

That's a great question. I'm all over the place on him, from a minor league deal with ST invite Ala Iglesias to a 1 year/$5M prove it deal with options and escalators.

I'm not sure how his market shapes up yet.
Definitely worth keeping an eye on though.
Unless he takes a big discount with alot of incentives, I'm ready to move on from him. We've paid him too much money already.

Unless he takes a big discount with alot of incentives, I'm ready to move on from him. We've paid him too much money already.
That's the problem with how you view contracts.... you're always looking back.

What he made this year is irrelevant in future contracts.

I"m sure Jimmy Herget's name has come up in alot of trade talks??
I have no idea if his name comes up or not. I simply used him as an example. I would think the Marlins (who say their window won't open for at least 3 more years) would be interested in a minor leaguer with decent upside who can contribute in 3-6 years from now. Herget matches that description.

I have no idea if his name comes up or not. I simply used him as an example. I would think the Marlins (who say their window won't open for at least 3 more years) would be interested in a minor leaguer with decent upside who can contribute in 3-6 years from now. Herget matches that description.
My guess is the Marlins would ask for Lodolo or Hunter Greene. Herget's a dime of dozen player.

That's the problem with how you view contracts.... you're always looking back.

What he made this year is irrelevant in future contracts.
Ha ha!!! Says the guy who doesn't write the checks!!! Wood made nearly $10 the past 5 months, for 7 starts and 35 innings. At minimum, Wood should just tell the Reds he'll sign with the Reds for a little as possible because he feels horrible about taking their money this season.

My guess is the Marlins would ask for Lodolo or Hunter Greene. Herget's a dime of dozen player.
Of course they would ask but the Reds wouldn't do that deal. Urena would not bring a premium return. If the Reds were to trade Lodolo or Greene it would be for Lindor.

Urena represents 10% of Miami's payroll. I'm sure they'd like to move him. If he continues to struggle next season they will get nothing in return for their $4M.
That's not the Marlin way.

Ha ha!!! Says the guy who doesn't write the checks!!! Wood made nearly $10 the past 5 months, for 7 starts and 35 innings. At minimum, Wood should just tell the Reds he'll sign with the Reds for a little as possible because he feels horrible about taking their money this season.
He was hurt on the job.

Do you suggest to your coworkers who get hurt at work that they shouldn't be compensated while off work?

What he made last season is irrelevant going forward. His performance last season is very relevant.

I've been trying to explain "sunk cost" to Red14 for 3 or 4 years. Save your energy. He always factors money spent in the past into his thinking, and will not change..

As for Alex Wood, if he would sign a low one year contract ($4M or $5M?) with heavy incentives, I would love to have him back. He has proven he can be an effective MLB pitcher, and we need a lefty. Last year was just a result of injuries.

I've been trying to explain "sunk cost" to Red14 for 3 or 4 years. Save your energy. He always factors money spent in the past into his thinking, and will not change..
It's because pro sports teams have bugets and LIMITED amounts of money. This isn't fantasy sports where you just assemble whomever you want. I've tried to explain this to you guys for years and years. Wood is a bad, BAD gamble!!!

As for Alex Wood, if he would sign a low one year contract ($4M or $5M?) with heavy incentives, I would love to have him back. He has proven he can be an effective MLB pitcher, and we need a lefty. Last year was just a result of injuries.
I could envisage a 2 yr deal with a base salary of $2M per year with escalators for innings pitched where it tops out at $10M per year. I would also include a team option for the 2nd year. Low risk for a very good LHP (when healthy). If he pitches 200 innings and he tops out the escalators it means he was A)Healthy and B)Effective which means he is worth the $10M.

It's because pro sports teams have bugets and LIMITED amounts of money. This isn't fantasy sports where you just assemble whomever you want. I've tried to explain this to you guys for years and years. Wood is a bad, BAD gamble!!!
Yes they have Budgets. Last years budgets means nothing for this years budget.

He was hurt on the job.

Do you suggest to your coworkers who get hurt at work that they shouldn't be compensated while off work?

What he made last season is irrelevant going forward. His performance last season is very relevant.
He’s been working for the same salary for over 10 yrs....

I could envisage a 2 yr deal with a base salary of $2M per year with escalators for innings pitched where it tops out at $10M per year. I would also include a team option for the 2nd year. Low risk for a very good LHP (when healthy). If he pitches 200 innings and he tops out the escalators it means he was A)Healthy and B)Effective which means he is worth the $10M.
BINGO!!!! Give that man a cigar!!! THat's what I'm talking about, a low base with incentives. Let him EARN his money!!! What a novel idea. Now just don't go bonkers if some other sucker offers him more, you have to be willing to let him walk. He's a #3 #4 pitcher at best anyway. We can find other options.

I also said a few posts up that I favored low base with incentives. So we all are in some form of agreement. What is all the yelling about?

14Red,
Why did you feel the need to "apologize for the delay"?
Do you seriously think that any of us have been disappointed by not yet receiving your summary/analysis of the 2019 season?
Please unburden yourself. Believe me, no apology of any type is needed.
Iwas waiting for it. My Dr. Said it would cure my insomnia

BINGO!!!! Give that man a cigar!!! THat's what I'm talking about, a low base with incentives. Let him EARN his money!!! What a novel idea. Now just don't go bonkers if some other sucker offers him more, you have to be willing to let him walk. He's a #3 #4 pitcher at best anyway. We can find other options.
I’m not willing to let him walk. I’d pay about $20m/yr.

I also said a few posts up that I favored low base with incentives. So we all are in some form of agreement. What is all the yelling about?
Because at no point did Red14 say anything about any such contract. His statement was that Wood should play for minimum wage because he was paid so much this past season.

Of course he has now changed that position.

Because at no point did Red14 say anything about any such contract. His statement was that Wood should play for minimum wage because he was paid so much this past season.

Of course he has now changed that position.
Ok, I'll slow down for you guys so you can keep up...

I said I'd entertain CONSIDERING him IF he took a small base contract (now with the union contracts I don't know what the least amount you can pay a guy like him with that service time, but that's my starting point) with incentives...if and when he pitches. The Reds gave him nearly $10 mill last year for mostly nothing.

Now I also opined that if I were him...I'd had felt bad about accepting the money he got last year in comparison to what he did. Now injuries happen, and I get that, he's accumulated enough time and was good enough the Reds felt it was ok to offer him that contract. All I was saying is that if it was me, I'd give the Reds a big time discount this season to make good from '19. But that's me.

Reds pick up the $5.5 mill option on Freddie Galvis and pick up Travis Jankowski, an outfielder.

Bryan Price, hired as Phillies pitching coach. I'm happy for him. Unfortunately for him, he was here for the rebuild and didn't have much to work with. I always liked his honesty in the pre and post games shows and he never dodged any questions.

Reds pick up the $5.5 mill option on Freddie Galvis and pick up Travis Jankowski, an outfielder.

Galvis - ARGH! 8 years in the bigs, career OBP =.291, OPS = .675. He's Billy Hamilton with longer hair and less speed. 5.5 Million!
Does anyone in the front office understand baseball math? They get a woodie because he hit 23HR last year, big deal. He kills the offense with his .291 OBP. So dumb.

Jankowski - meh. zero power, runs well, his 2 full seasons in SD he had like .330 OBP. Decent 5th OF, but not as good as Ervin. he better have been darn cheap.

Galvis - ARGH! 8 years in the bigs, career OBP =.291, OPS = .675. He's Billy Hamilton with longer hair and less speed. 5.5 Million!
Does anyone in the front office understand baseball math? They get a woodie because he hit 23HR last year, big deal. He kills the offense with his .291 OBP. So dumb.

Jankowski - meh. zero power, runs well, his 2 full seasons in SD he had like .330 OBP. Decent 5th OF, but not as good as Ervin. he better have been darn cheap.
Jankowski was very cheap. He cost International Bonus Pool Money. He'll make just over 1M next season. Why would the Reds make this move? I think they are positioning themselves to trade some of their outfield depth.

As for Galvis, he isn't terribly expensive a d makes a decent backup plan if they can't land a trade or FA for the middle infield.

Jankowski was very cheap. He cost International Bonus Pool Money. He'll make just over 1M next season. Why would the Reds make this move? I think they are positioning themselves to trade some of their outfield depth.
This is exactly what I thought when I read about this. He is clearly 5th outfielder material (good D), but acquiring him allows the Reds hopefully to solve some weak areas by trading an outfielder or two.

The Reds always, ALWAYS have to look for guys who work cheap. This team, under Dick Williams watch, will have 3-4 highly paid pitchers, a few guys under team friendly contracts and a bunch of young guys.

OK I clearly stated that I was OK with Jankowski as OF depth if the proce was right, and it sounds like he is. Fine.

I will continue to say that paying $5.5M for a guy to make the offense worse is not a good move. And if Galvis plays every day, the offense will suffer. 8 years of history says so. If he doesn't play every day, we've dramatically overpaid for infield depth. I realize that by all accounts he is a great teammate and a likable guy. So was Billy. Mistake move.

OK I clearly stated that I was OK with Jankowski as OF depth if the proce was right, and it sounds like he is. Fine.

I will continue to say that paying $5.5M for a guy to make the offense worse is not a good move. And if Galvis plays every day, the offense will suffer. 8 years of history says so. If he doesn't play every day, we've dramatically overpaid for infield depth. I realize that by all accounts he is a great teammate and a likable guy. So was Billy. Mistake move.
Agreed. That $5.5M is better spent elsewhere.

JD Martinez opts to stay in his current contract with Boston. Boston has stated their desire to get below the luxury tax of 208M which means they will need to shed about 28M in payroll without adding anyone. Realistically they'll need to move about 40M in order to add back at the positions they deplete.

The Reds should be making some calls.