Turf being installed at Oregon Clay?

That is correct. More improvements to follow.

Portable mound on Ousky??? BOOOOO!!!!

Why can't they get it right the 1st time?

I suppose they will need to remove the mound to play 8U coach pitch since they can't play on the other 11 fields they have.

Last edited:
I must have missed the portable mound part? I know the turf will only be on the infield and they will be getting new fencing and backstop (skirting as well). Future plans call for new stands (raised) and locker rooms.

“The center provided a quote for the purchase of synthetic baseball turf on Ousky Field and Field No. 2, a portable pitch mound for Ousky, and new dugouts for Field No. 2."

That will be like a wart on a supermodel.

Glad they are finally getting rid of the backstops that hang out 12 feet above the catcher/home plate on the smaller fields.

A portable mound for a field that will be hosting HS games is an absolutely horrible idea. They have enough maintenance people at that facility that throwing a tarp on the mound before rain and getting the mound ready before/between games shouldn't be an issue. As someone who has seen a kid break an arm falling off a portable mound (he was 12), I can't imagine there are many HS kids looking forward to the possibility of pitching on one of those things

I highly doubt this field will have a portable pitching mound for high school kids. I could maybe see using it for younger guys, but I can't see them doing this on a new artificial field. I guess you could also use it just for practice as fortfan mentioned.

How would you use a portable mound for practice, unless you put it 10' in front of the regular mound. Why would you want pitchers throwing in practice off of a different mound then they'll be using in a game?

I was told that it is a 6 piece mound. Something like this;

Not a fan at all - I have seen these mounds and there is always a slight lip. We have all seen the bad hops from unseen objects on a field, just wait until the 1st broken nose or hockey teeth from a come backer. As a former college pitcher I can tell you that I would hate pitching on this type of mound because of the lip and the feel of the landing foot.

I assume the mound will never be moved. Just installing it because it will not require any maintenance.

Last edited:

A portable mound for a field that will be hosting HS games is an absolutely horrible idea. They have enough maintenance people at that facility that throwing a tarp on the mound before rain and getting the mound ready before/between games shouldn't be an issue. As someone who has seen a kid break an arm falling off a portable mound (he was 12), I can't imagine there are many HS kids looking forward to the possibility of pitching on one of those things

I have to imagine it has something to do with wearing rubber cleats/turf shoes. You can't wear metal spikes on the turf and I'm not sure how rubber cleats would do on a clay mound.

They have a plastic mound out in Clyde on their 14U field. Pitchers have to wear tennis shoes/rubber cleats. Lots of fun when it gets a little wet.

The type of portable mound they are referring to is very different than what is used at younger age groups. Most mounds that are dangerous at the younger levels are basically mounds made for indoor facilities and can’t account for pickoffs, PFP plays, etc. I’m sure the mound that will be installed here you won’t be able to tell is even portable.

The type of portable mound they are referring to is very different than what is used at younger age groups. Most mounds that are dangerous at the younger levels are basically mounds made for indoor facilities and can’t account for pickoffs, PFP plays, etc. I’m sure the mound that will be installed here you won’t be able to tell is even portable.

The field/turf looks great, huge improvement.

Just not a fan of the mound. The material does not have a uniform feel when compared to the turf on the rest of the field, because there is less padding under the mound. There will be bad hops from the lip, unnatural skips and hops when hard hit balls hit the mound directly, a slippery landing point in the rain with lead foot or on pivots to throw to 1st. When I stood on the mound there was a cracking sound and springiness to the material. By no means is it cheap looking or feeling - but it just doesn't have the "right" feel. Then again I may just be too old to appreciate it.

Chillicothe Paint stadium has a portable mound. It literally fits over the real one. Never has been a problem there, when it rains they put that one on the field and it works just fine. Might not be the prettiest thing.

I have to imagine it has something to do with wearing rubber cleats/turf shoes. You can't wear metal spikes on the turf and I'm not sure how rubber cleats would do on a clay mound.

They have a plastic mound out in Clyde on their 14U field. Pitchers have to wear tennis shoes/rubber cleats. Lots of fun when it gets a little wet.

Any time we ever played on a field with turf, the pitchers could wear metal if they had a natural mound. If they changed positions they had to go to plastic.

It all really depends on the portable pitching mound you go with. Some have steep edges that make it fairly dangerous and are better for practice. Other pitching mounds have tapered edges that make them better for game use. Typically, the larger the dimensions of the mound, the closer it is to a real feel.