What Movies Did You Watch In October 2019?

Sweet Country (2017) - 6/8

Australian western; aborigine rightfully kills a white man then has to go on the run throughout the outback. It's pretty good, and it's free on Amazon prime.

Maggie (2015)

Horror: A family has to deal with their daughter who caught a virus which will turn her into a zombie in 6 to 8 weeks. This is a drama driven flick with little action starring Arnold Schwarzenegger ... 4.5/8

Little Monsters (Australia-2019)

Horror/Comedy: A heart broken ex musician tries to hook up with his nephews kindergarten teacher by agreeing to go on a field trip unknowingly that a zombie outbreak is to occur. This one had its moments but ran out steam about midway through.... 4.0/8

Action Point: 4.5/8

I’m not normally a Johnny Knoxville fan, but this one was decent. Loosely based on the old amusement park in New Jersey, Action Park, which was named “the most dangerous amusement park in the world.”

Won't You Be My Neighbor (2018)- Very well done documentary about Fred Rogers. 6.5/8.

The Theory of Everything (2014)- drama set at Cambridge University about the life of Stephen Hawking. An amazing story made into a pretty average often boring movie. 4.5/8.

O: 5/8

A reimagining of Othello, with a star studded cast of young actors from the turn of the century. Entertaining for the most part though the ending felt rushed. I get that they were being faithful to the play, but the ending gets a bit crazy with characters making giant leaps in motivation.

Crawl (2019) 3/8 Not impressed. Gators were pretty cool, but how many times can two people fight off a full grown gator and win?

Everest (2015) 4/8 True story about a group trying to reach the summit of Everest when a big storm hits and things go wrong. Decent survival story, good cast. Worth a watch

The Last Whistle (2019) 4/8 Netflix original about a football team, a coach, and the death of a player during practice. Pretty good story with some redemption at the end, but obviously low budget and could have been better made.

My Name Is Dolemite (2019) 6/8 Eddie Murphy led movie about Rudy Ray Moore and his creation of his Dolemite character and his rise to fame. Definitely the best thing Murphy has done in years and one of the better Netflix originals they have put out.

Nightmare Shark (2018)

Horror: Survivors of other SciFi shark movies have reoccurring nightmares about a shark entity that is trying to kill them aka Freddie Krueger.... yes, this one was bad ... 2.0/8

Beau Brummel (1924) - I had never seen the great John Barrymore's work although I have seen several film performances of his brother Lionel and other members of the famous Drew/Barrymore family that has been acting for 200 years. That being the case I recorded Beau Brummel and looked forward to watching it. I like silent films and have no problem following them and I was familiar with the story of Beau Brummel but I have to admit it was tedious watching this, despite an excellent performance by the lead. Maybe in an earlier time the story of the man who made pants popular was more interesting, or maybe court intrigue was more compelling, although several films of the past thirty years, some as recently as last year, made court intrigue much more interesting.

Anyway, I found this highly regarded film a total bore.

3/8

George Bryan Brummel, a British military officer, loves Lady Margery, the betrothed of Lord Alvanley. Despite her own desperate love for Brummel, she submits to family pressure and marries

Dude... man card... respect it. :D

Decided to watch WWII comedies.

Mr. Roberts 3/8

Operation Petticoat 6/8

Mr. Roberts supposed to be the better movie. It DOES have that morality thing going on, as opposed to OP's skirting the immorality but the acting wasn't good, the plot was thin and predictable. I don't get it. At least OP was fun and good sport spotting the future sitcom actor.

A Quiet Place (2018)

Horror: A family must deal with creatures that hunt by sound.... One could pick this one apart as it had a lot of flaws but on the other hand it was pretty suspenseful at times ... 5.0/8

Dude... man card... respect it. :D

Give me a brake. The guy practically invented pants...I wear pants!

I understand though and had I liked it my man card would be out in the mail already. In the future I will be restricting my silent film watching to the great WWI films made in the early twenties, as well as horror films, including those of Lon Chaney, Sr. and the German Expressionists and comedies. I'll leave courtly romance to the Ladies.

I just wanted to watch a master in his craft. Other than the Yueglings, there are not too many families who have been in the same profession for 200 years.

Black and Blue (2019) 4.5/8 Decent movie, a little slow and somewhat of a Training Day knockoff with a little more cheese. Had some good action and the story was pretty good.

Halloween (2007) 5.5/8 One of the better remakes and one of Rob Zombie's best movies. He stuck to the original story enough to sell, but added in enough of his own story-line to make it worth watching.

You've watched more than 1 silent film? :eek:
I guess you feel there is some value in never seeing a Charlie Chaplin film, a Rudolph Valentino film, a German Expressionist horror film, Birth of a Nation, the first best picture winner, Wings or any of the other WWI movies made while the veterans of that war were still fresh from the battlefield and the tanks and other equipment didn't have to be created by CGI because they either no longer exist or do not operate. Ok. I hope you enjoy your current Hollywood rehash/remake or redundant CGI based superhero movie.

I am sorry if the reason you avoid them is that you cannot read title cards. If that is the case, I understand.

It's been scientifically proven that people who watch silent movies can't recognize a joke without piano music and title cards.

:D

Finders Keepers (2014)

Horror: A recently separated mom and her young daughter move into an old house where the girl finds an old ugly doll. You know where this is going to go. Jigsaw from Saw is in this one and wasn't that bad.... 4.5/8

Ju-on 7: Owari No Hojimari (Japan-2014)

Horror: Back to the basics with this one. For those who might not know Ju-on is "The Grudge" movies that are known in the US. Well, back to Japan as this one is the 7th installment out of 8 total to date. This one goes back to the beginning and co-exists with the first two Ju-on flicks and hits the mark on what makes this series great. A substitute teacher investigates a student named Toshio who hadn't shown up to school. Well, we know what happened to the first teacher that went and visited this house well..... this one was right up there with the best of the series..... 6.5/8

Here in the US, Grudge 4 will be out soon and from what I hear it will be a remake of Ju-on 7!!!! Can't wait!!!!

not a movie, but watched the finale of the Deuce. I’d give the entire series a 6.75, one of HBO’s more underrated series.

28 Days Later (2002) 3.5/8 I guess this is somewhat a zombie movie, but the "zombies" are infected with a rage virus and you don't really have to to die to turn. Guy wakes up from a coma (sound familar?) to discover the world has basically ended. He meets a few other people who are alive and chaos basically ensues from there. Low budget, not great, but I've seen worse.