Northern Lakes League 2019 (NLL)

Speaking of linemen, I heard someone say a Northview lineman is going DI. They have some big ones, any know is true and who?

My picks for this week:

Anthony Wayne 49 Southview 0
Perrysburg 35 Napoleon 14
Springfield 21 Bowling Green 13
Maumee 14 Northview 13

Anthony Wayne 48 Southview 0
Perrysburg 31 Napoleon 7
Springfield 56 Bowling Green 55
Northview 42 Maumee 0

AW and Perrysburg cruised unsurprisingly.

Springfield and BG each must have played with their freshman defenses. Springfield has a legit shot at the playoffs; something that didnt seem possible after starting 0-4.

I definitely was way off on the NV/Maumee game. Orignally I had picked NV but ended up going with Maumee, thinking this would be their superbowl. They play AW and Pburg still, which are virtual guaranteed losses. So I figured they'd throw everything they had into this game. Wow was I wrong.

I know I'm going out on a limb (Ha!), but I think AW is going to shutout the NLL It's remarkable just to finish 10-0 on a given year, but to do what the Generals are doing.....

It is impressive, you are right, but the NLL is so down this season. If anyone can score on that AW D it will be Gooch. His ego will score

The gap between the two big schools in the league and the rest of the teams is starting to become glaringly apparent. I watched some of the Perrysburg/Napoleon game and it looked exactly like a D1 team playing a DIV team. Perrysburg's depth and size difference was obvious. Then the Jackets finish with two DIII teams. Thank Goodness they get rewarded for playing Woodward out of conference. :rolleyes: Sitting 6th in the weakest D1 region ever on record (would be 12th in region 1).

I've watched Northview play a couple times now and am just baffled. Their line is huge, they have some good backs, the best athlete in the league and just do not look good outside of Simms making plays on his own.

That would seem to make TWO better leagues. IB's idea (posted LONG ago and picked up by others) of flex league, probably still best.

This is a football forum. However from an athletic standpoint, one must look at ALL of a school's sports. With that being said, I am wondering how much longer Maumee can stay in the NLL? They have no depth. The have a couple of injuries and no one to replace them with.

This is a football forum. However from an athletic standpoint, one must look at ALL of a school's sports. With that being said, I am wondering how much longer Maumee can stay in the NLL? They have no depth. The have a couple of injuries and no one to replace them with.

Their school board showed absolutely no foresight back in 2009 when they received their invite to the NBC, instead thinking that the district would care about their rivalry with Perrysburg still existing, rather than hearing from literally every coach and citizen in the know who said that they would no longer be able to compete with any NLL schools consistently with their dwindling population. Oddly enough, only one of the five school board members is still there, the only one who voted to leave.

The true fact of the situation is that Maumee was not really consistently competitive in any sports outside of Football, Men's Soccer, and Men's Basketball in the mid to late 00's (Maumee went 0-10 and 1-9 in 5 out of 10 seasons in the 90's and has only won more than 2 conference games three times since the Board Vote in two of the most down seasons in the NLL), and even that was due to individual classes who had extremely special talents, not depth. Once those classes left, you've seen the result, Maumee is last in literally every sport year-in, year-out and they have no youth sports enthusiasm which could help build the numbers back up. Couple that with the fact that their school now sits just above 800 students when it was at just under 1200 in 2008-09 and no room to grow from new construction, and you've got a recipe for disaster. If they don't leave soon, there's really no point in throwing the kind of money they have into pie in the sky projects like that worthless building in their football stadium.

Maybe Maumee should take a hard look into getting into the SBC. I have a hard time believing that the parents would complain about turnpike travel mostly.

Maybe Maumee should take a hard look into getting into the SBC. I have a hard time believing that the parents would complain about turnpike travel mostly.

Parents wouldn't be the issue...it would be the unplanned costs incurred by the district. That's a ton of money to shuttle 16 athletics teams to and from all of the SBC schools on the Turnpike 100's of times a year. The SBC-Lake could work for Maumee, but then what does Napoleon and BG do if they leave...and I don't think Maumee is close to getting an invite over there anyways.

Was just looking at numbers, Maumee is now at 648 total students in the school for the 2019-20 Academic Year. In 2009-10 Maumee was at 1051. That's an insane decline, and one that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon based on enrollment at Gateway and the elementary schools.

With the current enrollment, here's how the schools look in the NLL and NBC:

NLL:
Perrysburg - 1524 students
Anthony Wayne - 1365 students
Northview - 1316 students
Southview - 1052 students
Springfield - 1025 students
Bowling Green - 877 students
Maumee - 648 students
Napoleon - 616 students

NBC:
Fostoria - 475 students
Otsego - 439 students
Rossford - 438 students (although the freshman and sophomore classes are nearly double the junior and senior classes oddly)
Eastwood - 437 students
Lake - 405 students
Genoa - 389 students
Elmwood - 322 students
Woodmore - 297 students

-------------
Columbian - 813 students
Defiance - 734 students
Clyde - 712 students
Ottawa-Glandorf - 616 students
Oak Harbor - 612 students
Bryan - 577 students

Really, the move would be for Bowling Green, Maumee, and Napoleon to sit down and figure out a way to get the Columbian, Clyde, OG, Oak Harbor, and Rossford into a room to create a conference. The NBC is right to not want to add Maumee, as this is probably a population trough, and 10-15 years from now they'll be back up to 900 or so students which would be terrible for them. But all of those other schools would make a fairly interesting conference and wouldn't have any distinct population outliers IMO.

Were that to happen, I could easily see Fremont Ross back-filling the SBC losses and Perrysburg, Anthony Wayne, Springfield, and the Sylvania schools having a discussion with the rest of the TRAC teams (Whitmer, St. Johns/St. Ursula, St. Francis/NDA, Central, and Clay) to create a 10 team league with Findlay and Lima on the outside looking in. But realistically, the only way Perrysburg or Anthony Wayne moves would be if a group of teams left the NLL that couldn't be "easily" back-filled.

The other fun idea would be if those three NLL teams bolted and Findlay (who wants into the NLL), Clay, and Fremont all asked to replace them in the NLL. Would be EXTREMELY interesting what Whitmer and the Catholics would do in that case.

To me, there is a clear divide in the NLL though, and Bowling Green, Maumee, and Napoleon are on the wrong side of it. Something's going to give within the next few years.

Last edited:
Really, the move would be for Bowling Green, Maumee, and Napoleon to sit down and figure out a way to get the Columbian, Clyde, OG, Oak Harbor, and Rossford into a room to create a conference.
That's the move?

That move is never going to happen.

Parents wouldn't be the issue...it would be the unplanned costs incurred by the district. That's a ton of money to shuttle 16 athletics teams to and from all of the SBC schools on the Turnpike 100's of times a year. The SBC-Lake could work for Maumee, but then what does Napoleon and BG do if they leave...and I don't think Maumee is close to getting an invite over there anyways.

Was just looking at numbers, Maumee is now at 648 total students in the school for the 2019-20 Academic Year. In 2009-10 Maumee was at 1051. That's an insane decline, and one that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon based on enrollment at Gateway and the elementary schools.

NLL:
Maumee - 648 students
Napoleon - 616 students

NBC:
Fostoria - 475 students
Otsego - 439 students
Rossford - 438 students (although the freshman and sophomore classes are nearly double the junior and senior classes oddly)
Eastwood - 437 students
Lake - 405 students
Genoa - 389 students
Elmwood - 322 students
Woodmore - 297 students

-------------
Columbian - 813 students
Defiance - 734 students
Clyde - 712 students
Bryan - 577 students

Really, the move would be for Bowling Green, Maumee, and Napoleon to sit down and figure out a way to get the Columbian, Clyde, OG, Oak Harbor, and Rossford into a room to create a conference. The NBC is right to not want to add Maumee, as this is probably a population trough, and 10-15 years from now they'll be back up to 900 or so students which would be terrible for them. But all of those other schools would make a fairly interesting conference and wouldn't have any distinct population outliers IMO.

Were that to happen, I could easily see Fremont Ross back-filling the SBC losses and Perrysburg, Anthony Wayne, Springfield, and the Sylvania schools having a discussion with the rest of the TRAC teams (Whitmer, St. Johns/St. Ursula, St. Francis/NDA, Central, and Clay) to create a 10 team league with Findlay and Lima on the outside looking in. But realistically, the only way Perrysburg or Anthony Wayne moves would be if a group of teams left the NLL that couldn't be "easily" back-filled.

The other fun idea would be if those three NLL teams bolted and Findlay (who wants into the NLL), Clay, and Fremont all asked to replace them in the NLL. Would be EXTREMELY interesting what Whitmer and the Catholics would do in that case.

To me, there is a clear divide in the NLL though, and Bowling Green, Maumee, and Napoleon are on the wrong side of it. Something's going to give within the next few years.

Curious where you're finding those numbers. If you look at the ODE's numbers for SFY 2019, Oak Harbor isn't anywhere near 600 students.

Oak Harbor doesnt want to play Clyde thats why they are in the Bay and wont crossover with them.

Clyde will never ever leave the SBC. I can bet the farm on that. They are the shot callers there and nobody else had anything to say about things.

Curious where you're finding those numbers. If you look at the ODE's numbers for SFY 2019, Oak Harbor isn't anywhere near 600 students.

Forgot they had 8th grade in their high school building, they're at roughly 470 taking them out according to ODE.

NLL:
Maumee - 648 students
Napoleon - 616 students

NBC:
Fostoria - 475 students
Otsego - 439 students
Eastwood - 437 students
Lake - 405 students
Genoa - 389 students
Elmwood - 322 students
Woodmore - 297 students

-------------
Columbian - 813 students
Defiance - 734 students
Clyde - 712 students
Bryan - 577 students

Don't see Rossford leaving the NBC. Woodmore and Elmwood are the outliers based on size. Swapping them for two of: Maumee/Oak Harbor/Bowling Green might work.

Open enrollment is helping to make up for losing kids to the Catholic schools, but the 9th grade class has been an outlier since Kindergarten.

This is rich so I will give you a proper history lesson.

LeRoy Alexander transferred to Whitmer mainly due to basketball and the Alexander family ties with the Hayes family. No recruitment whatsoever. Both Alexander AND Webb had entertained Central. Once Dempsey saw what was happening he doubled down. Up until and through 2011 CCHS still had a good handful of Catholic kids playing on their team. After 2011 it was full sellout. It is amazing how their legacy families don't mind as long as Central wins. Watch all the tuition free Mid-City kids win games as they sit in their reserved seats and pay full boat. The things people will overlook to be a perceived winner?

The Blade went full on assault with Palka, where is it now? Junga writes his stories from Dempsey's lap.

Leroy lived the entire time in Springfield's district while he played at Whitmer. Used the address is all... You can believe whatever you want about the recruiting. They got caught and paid the price...

As for Central and any other private school. They recruit.... They give waivers to good athletes. Don't try and dumb it down. Do they get good athletes to just go there? Yes.... But they do go looking for them.

St. Johns is starting to poach Fremont kids too. OHSAA really needs to step in and do something about these private schools.

No way Clyde leaves the SBC unless it implodes. Distance is a huge factor. No parent/administrator or student athlete wants these kids to spend any more time on a bus than needed. My kids never enjoyed the 45-50 rides to Napoleon. I can't imagine them being on the bus for 1:15-1:30 like some of these proposed leagues would create.

Leroy lived the entire time in Springfield's district while he played at Whitmer. Used the address is all... You can believe whatever you want about the recruiting. They got caught and paid the price...

As for Central and any other private school. They recruit.... They give waivers to good athletes. Don't try and dumb it down. Do they get good athletes to just go there? Yes.... But they do go looking for them.
Been down this road. I KNOW what I KNOW. You HEARD what you HEARD. Big difference.

A CCHS fanboy sneaking in the bushes at the Alexander residence was creepy. I could not tell you where he lived. I know they rented a place in WLS. I also KNOW Joe Palka did not recruit him for football.

Do they go looking? How do they know who to give the "waivers" to? Show up to a Mid-City game and you will have your answers. They are not the only ones either. Is what it is, but to pretend it is something else, or to suggest they do not go "looking for them" is ridiculous.

Talk about what you know.

Last edited:
St. Johns is starting to poach Fremont kids too. OHSAA really needs to step in and do something about these private schools.
The only thing the OHSAA needs to do is be consistent in their enforcement of rules. Arbitrarily investigating a person on the board's rival is not consistent. Especially when they are 10x worse.

The McKinstry's probably have more to do with the fact that Ross bball has stunk for some time and SJ was a better avenue. However, if recruited at AAU then another story.

It is impressive, you are right, but the NLL is so down this season. If anyone can score on that AW D it will be Gooch. His ego will score

The gap between the two big schools in the league and the rest of the teams is starting to become glaringly apparent. I watched some of the Perrysburg/Napoleon game and it looked exactly like a D1 team playing a DIV team. Perrysburg's depth and size difference was obvious. Then the Jackets finish with two DIII teams. Thank Goodness they get rewarded for playing Woodward out of conference. :rolleyes: Sitting 6th in the weakest D1 region ever on record (would be 12th in region 1).

I've watched Northview play a couple times now and am just baffled. Their line is huge, they have some good backs, the best athlete in the league and just do not look good outside of Simms making plays on his own.
Lol the ego will score lol

They are after Findlay kids hard also. They now provide transportation to and from Findlay every day. There CC coach has talked to a Findlay 8th grader twice about running for him next year. Pure illegal slim-ball move and shows how desperate the Toledo privates are right now to not only get athletes on their teams but students in general. Less and less parents think the tuition bill isn't worth the quality of education they are getting.

They are after Findlay kids hard also. They now provide transportation to and from Findlay every day. There CC coach has talked to a Findlay 8th grader twice about running for him next year. Pure illegal slim-ball move and shows how desperate the Toledo privates are right now to not only get athletes on their teams but students in general. Less and less parents think the tuition bill isn't worth the quality of education they are getting.

Theyve made their bacon by stealing AWJHS and Gateway (Maumee) kids for their soccer teams for years. It happens through all of their sports, but soccer has been pretty ridiculous over the years. The last two coaching staffs have been all from AW and Maumee for a reason. Hell, look at the Buescher kids...Maumee clubs and schools growing up, then all of a sudden, they enroll at St. John's with "academic scholarships".

When survival is the name of the game (and judging by the dwindling enrollment and now TPS no longer failing as a district, meaning vouchers arent available for at least two years) the Diocese and SJJ/SFS will do anything to get kids with no regard for rules and regulations.