Cedarville/VOA

Do Cedarville and VOA courses run similar in times?? Or is one faster/slower than the other?
Yes, VOA is probably faster than Cedarville but the difference is not as great as 609 makes it out to be. I am making this statement based on 609's comments in previous seasons. He claims that VOA is much faster and that just isn't the case. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that 609 has claimed as much as a 30 second difference between the courses. Taylor Ewert ran 17:03 at Cedarville this past Saturday. It would be hard to imagine her going 16:33 at VOA. In my unbiased opinion, the differences in time between the courses is negligible.

Cedarville has more uphill "grades" than VOA but, on the other hand, Cedarville has longer stretches without turns. It's a much more "wide open" course and not as tight as VOA. The footing at Cedarville is also much cleaner and with not as many ruts. VOA has less secure footing that keeps the runners a little more vigilant. Both courses are good but Cedarville is a beautiful venue for XC. If the road access in to Cedarville wasn't an issue it would be a no-brainer for the state meet.

Below are maps of the courses that should give you an idea of how many more turns VOA has compared to Cedarville. Even so, the maps don't capture how much more tight VOA is. For instance, VOA funnels down much faster than Cedarville does. More than a few runners have not gotten out fast enough and got behind the pack a bit. Conversely, some runners start faster than they normally would in order to avoid that congestion. While they've avoided being stuck back, they are often in a larger oxygen debt faster than they normally would be.

VOA Course
Cedarville Course

Last edited:
This is limited data. Only one year, one gender, one division.
But in 2018, in Division I boys, the average VOA district runner ran 10 seconds slower the next week at Troy. The average Cedarville district runner ran 7 seconds slower the next week at Troy. That would suggest the VOA course was 3 seconds faster than Cedarville, which is negligible. If someone has more robust data (more years, divisions, etc.), their data would be more reliable.

My regression on the two courses in recent years suggests about 6 seconds difference for a 20:00 runner. While we run in the central we run enough SW teams most years to have pretty decent sample size.

Throw it all out the window......weather is ruling the day.

Teams that spend a bulk of their final weeks of training working back on endurance workouts like long tempo runs and keeping their mileage up till the last minute will outperform the "speed" work coaches that try to sharpen the pencil to much. Not helping on a wet soggy course.

You can try and use the information to run a virtual meet.

I used to do that all of the time. Not anymore because it was so frustrating. Now I am 100% about head to head match-ups.
I get virtual meets but what do you when you have those results? How does that info affect actual actions?